Coffee at Anne's

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It didn't take me long to get ready. Pulling on a fresh shirt and jeans I threw a cap over my shaggy hair and headed down, stopping at the stairs as I heard hushed voices. “Oppa, isn't she cute?” Came Ji Hyo's husky voice.

 

Looking down, I spotted the actress patting Troubles. The feline had climbed onto Ji Hyo's lap and had made herself at home. The cat's eyes were closed as she enjoyed the feeling of being . I was pretty sure the darn cat was purring. Chang Joo smiled patronizingly at Ji Hyo. “She is. But not as cute as our kids would be. And I want as many as you can give me.” She blushed in response and slapped him lightly. “Oppaaa! I want kids too, but not that many.” She whined embarrassedly.

 

So, she wanted kids. At the realisation, I felt my left eye twitch slightly and my heart felt as though it was being gripped in an ice-cold vice, strangling the life out of it. Such is the cruelty of life. That a heart can keep on beating even after it has choked to death. This was why he was better for her. This was something he could give her that I could not. Resigned, I prepared to continue on my way down when I heard Chang Joo speak.

 

“Why not?” He asked, his tone rough and slightly confrontational. He didn't look happy, his eyebrows furrowed and his fist clenched. I narrowed my eyes at this.

 

“I want a career too, and I'm not a baby-making factory you know?” Ji Hyo replied softly and Chang Joo seemed to soften.

 

“Yeah, I know. But you know I love children. And I think you'd make a great mother.” He said, he seemed almost charming in his tone. “The best mother in the world.” He added, pinching Ji Hyo lightly on the cheeks. Smooth operator.

 

Rolling my eyes, I gagged internally, quietly observing the actress as she blushed before speaking. “Flattery will get you everywhere. Maybe we can have a pet at home too. I love animals and since I grew up with them, I've always loved the idea of a dog or cat growing up with my kids. It'd teach them responsibility and how to care for another life.” She said.

 

I smiled. There was something special about animal lovers. To me, they are a special breed of humans. Generous of spirit and full of empathy. They are perhaps a little prone to sentimentality but had hearts as big as a cloudless sky. How could I not love her?

 

“You know I don't like animals in my house.” Chang Joo replied, contempt written on his face, communicating his disapproval.

 

I spotted the crestfallen expression on Ji Hyo's face. Hoping to distract the actress, I made my presence known. “Ok, I'm ready!” I chirped as I hopped down the stairs, pretending that I hadn't just overheard their conversation.

 

Ji Hyo smiled. “That's fast.”

 

“Well, it's just a change of clothes.” I replied offhandedly. Glancing over at Chang Joo, I narrowed my eyes slightly at the man, trying to suss him out. His earlier scornful expression was wiped clean, replaced by a charming smile. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something off in the way he smiled. The way the sides of his mouth twisted upwards, his teeth perfectly aligned. It looked practised. Faked. I didn't trust him. He was smooth and slick, perhaps too slick. 

 

Reggie! You're letting your jealousy cloud your judgement.

 

Yan chose this moment to exit the toilet. “Right, I'm done!” She said, before looking over at us expectantly.

 

“Okay. Let's go. I'm famished.” I declared and led the way out of the apartment.

 

“What? You just polished off a stack of pancakes and bacon!” Ji Hyo exclaimed, surprise and shock etched in her features.

 

Yan chortled, the laugh sounded like a deep bark. “This one here is like the bottomless pit. I could tell you stories about her legendary eating prowess!”

 

While the actress knew I had a healthy appetite, she never knew just how much I could actually eat. Well, it really depends on the food as well. And since I hadn't had good pancakes and bacon in a while, I was making up for lost time. That, and I tended to eat when I'm stressed. And let's just say, spending a day with the boyfriend of the woman of my dreams definitely ranks in the top 10 things that make Reggie stressed.

 

I suddenly had the mental picture of Gary going, “STRESS-S!” Oh, dude. I can soo relate to you right about now.

 

 

When we got to the car park, Chang Joo led the way to his car, a brand new silver Mercedes Benz S-Class. The luxury sedan was a work of pure aerodynamic beauty. Combining stylish superiority with sporty elegance. The streamlined build suggested power and dynamism even before the vehicle moved off. The car was elegant with a touch of aggression.

 

Entering the car, I found the cabin to be large and spacious. One of the first features to catch my eye was the dark mahogany wood trim running all around the interior. The controls were made from aluminium and the metallized switch surfaces were finished in pearl-effect, giving one the feeling of luxury. The warm, white interior lighting and ambient lighting exuded a feeling of unadulterated comfort. The lighting units were positioned stylishly and discreetly throughout the interior - illuminating the door handle recesses and the front passenger footwell. The essence of the atmosphere in the spacious interior was all about feeling good. The soft cushy leather seats enabled one to relax and be able to concentrate on work if required. With its harmoniously-matched materials and colour schemes, the interior presented itself as one beautifully-moulded whole. It wasn't just a car that looked good on the outside. The interior craftsmanship delivered on the promise of the exterior: spaciousness, attractiveness and comfort. Married together to give an unsurpassed ambience of well-being and opulence.

 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I hate him.

 

“By the way, Ji Hyo hasn't had her Americano this morning and I know she's craving for one. You girls wouldn't happen to know a nice café where we could get some for her around here, would you?” Chang Joo asked as he started the car.

 

“Oppa, it's fine. Let's just go get lunch.” Ji Hyo protested, seemingly embarrassed by the attention he had drawn to her. “No dear. You always have Americano in the morning. No woman of mine should go without what she wants.” He said. It sounded excessively sweet. Almost saccharine. I thought I would contract diabetes.

 

So now, on top of being rich, he was considerate and thoughtful. Sickening. Yup, I decided I would hate him.

 

“I know of a nice little place just up the street. The American lady there makes excellent coffee. I go there all the time.” I volunteered, surprising myself. I guess like Chang Joo, I just wanted Ji Hyo to get her daily dose of coffee. I gave him the address to Anne's café and he started in the direction I gave him. I spotted Rex on the backseat and placed it between Yan and myself.

 

“Reg won this for me yesterday. We decided to call it Rex.” Ji Hyo chirped happily to Yan from the front passenger seat. Turning around, the actress pointed to the large husky soft toy sitting between Yan and I.

 

Oh boy.

 

The choice for the name had not gone unnoticed by Yan. “You have a soft toy named after you now? Oh Reggie-poo, that's soo sweet!” She exclaimed loudly, sounding mildly satirical.

 

“Don't make me hurt you.” I quipped.

 

“I'll choke you out.” Yan challenged.

 

“Not unless I knock your lights out first.” I commented dryly.

 

“Alright, kids! Behave.” Came Ji Hyo's voice from the front.

 

“But mom!!! She started it!” We cried out in unison to the actress. Ji Hyo laughed lightly at us. The sound of her laughter brought a warm feeling to me. Glancing at Chang Joo, I saw that the pudgy man had a scowl on his face. It was like he disapp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter