Chapter 9

Silencio Bella

Silencio Bella

Trial of Fate


[Baekhyun’s POV]

It was mid-August already and I feel exhausted. Physically and mentally tired. I don’t know why, but I guess from the amount of practice we had? It’s been only a week and it wasn’t easy at all. The selection came the next day when Chanyeol was introduced and it took 15 hours until they decide to wrap it all up. Getting the results the next day, I’m quite pleased for being chosen and so were my friends, especially Ren who was jumping from joy.

Practice was hectic and I would trade my whole life just to get away from it. I mean, I was a part of an orchestra before, but who knew that this one will be from hell? Ignoring the questions and the emotion in my heart for Chanyeol, I got back on life just as I used to like 3 years ago.

Having Chanyeol to teach us was something I did not see coming at all. Leaving without a word last 3 years ago is something I can’t go over unless the culprit explains. I became wary of him, putting a distance even though I don’t want to, but he had started it and I had to go along. He was the one who placed a big gap between us as if the past didn’t happen at all.

A lot of things changed for the past 3 years. It wasn’t the same anymore and one thing remained unchanged. It was the bitter taste in my mouth that I can’t wash off no matter what I do that it had corrupted my heart completely. It was funny, actually. To see myself being corrupted by something so trifle.

My left eye twitches when I replayed the scenario when he first came and I slammed my hands on the piano keys, creating a clash of sounds that is almost deafening. I let my eyes closed for a moment before letting out a frustrated sigh. I’m not going anywhere, aren’t I?

“Senpai?” Ren’s voice filled the theatre room and for some reason, my nerves calmed down for a bit.  I opened my eyes and saw him walking towards me with a worried look and I almost felt guilty for making him look like that.

“Senpai? Are you okay?” he asks as he stopped right in front of me, towering me just like Chanyeol. Funny thing that I noticed is that Ren almost looked like Chanyeol. From the strands of hair down to his height, mannerisms and behaviour. Even the voice is quite similar, I think. Ren…now that I look at him and seeing the current Chanyeol today, they could be noted as brothers. Ren just looked much younger than him.

Why didn’t I see it before? Why…why didn’t I notice it?

“Baekhyun senpai? Why are you staring at me like that?”

“Hm? It’s nothing. I’m okay, I guess?” I dazedly answered, feeling uneasy all of a sudden. In daze, I reach out my arm, and lightly touched his cheek with my fingertips. I don’t know what I’m doing, but I suddenly had this urge to touch his face.

Or did I?

Pain smashes my head like a sack of bricks and my vision blurs. The image of Ren contorts into two, three and four as I watch his expression turn into shock and deranged colours paints my view then black.

I’m so sorry Ren.

~

I woke up an hour later when Seokjin sprinkled some water on my face, making me sit up and feel like having a hangover. What the hell just happened to me? I look around me and found myself at the backstage, resting on one of the couches with Seokjin and Hope standing in front of me.

“Finally awake Princess?” Seokjin mocks with a grin and I scowled at him in return. Hope held his laughter, pursing his lips in attempt, but the way his eyes turned crescent betrayed him that much. Standing up and smacking them on the arm, I smirked when I heard them hiss. Damn right they deserve that.

“Ow! That hurts, Baekhyun!” Hope wails at the pain on his left arm and I snickered in response, earning myself a glare. I heard footsteps coming on our way and my breath hitched when I saw who it was.

“Mr. Park,” Seokjin and Hope said in unison as they bowed in respect. I lowered my head when I pulled myself together, greeting him under my breath. Returning our attention at him, his lips forms into a small smile as he spoke that was filled with genuine concern and how a superior should act.

“I heard that Baekhyun is sick?” he asks, but never turning his gaze at me as if he was ignoring me on purpose. “How is he?”

My heart shook with disappointment and Seokjin takes my stand, easing the fire with water. “As you can see Mr. Park, Byun Baek here is healthy and awake now. He had regain consciousness a few minutes ago,” Seokjin kindly supplies the answer and Hope nodded in agreement, but Chanyeol never turned his gaze at me. He only smiled, nodded his head before his assistant, Lucas, came and stood beside him.

Lucas locked gazes with me before he smiles, “Ah, Mr. Byun. You’re awake now,” he emphasizes ‘awake’ in a quite irritating manner, but I could only do was nod and grit my teeth. I never liked him that much anyways. Since the first time I landed my eyes on him, I knew that we won’t get along. There were commotions in the front stage and I came to realize that we have a practice after noting the fact if there wasn’t a practice, I would be somewhere just not in the backstage.

Having known that it was my fault for holding the practice and knowing why Lucas spoke that way, I swallowed the lump on my throat and uttered my apology. “My sincerest apology, Mr. Park.”

“No, no. Its okay, Baekhyun. We were just about to start the practice anyways. After learning that you’re unconscious, your dear friends immediately went to your side after Ren, I suppose was his name, kindly explained what happened,” Chanyeol says with his usual bright smile that my heart aches because of it.

“Shall we start, hm? We’ve got no time to waste.” Chanyeol claps his hands before taking his leave together with Lucas who had excused himself. I let out a tired sigh and Seokjin comfortingly pats my back. I looked at him and he nods his head before Hope locks his arm with mine and drags me to the front stage while Seokjin follows us from behind.

They understood me even without words and I’m glad to have them as my friends. I felt suffocated from the whole conversation. Was it because of Chanyeol? Or was it because of Lucas? Or was it because of this burning feeling in my heart? The thorn on my chest that continues to prick me? What is it? Who is responsible for this uneasy feeling that I have? And what is this uneasy feeling anyways?

[End of Baekhyun’s POV]

~

[Jongdae's POV]

I've eventually lost track of time, my surroundings and also myself. I refused everything they gave me, the food, clothing, fresh air--anything. I lost my appetite ever since waking up from that horrible dream. Vomiting the food I had taken in and I decided that it would be best to never eat at all. Why bother changing clothes if you can't even use your legs to stand up, much less get some fresh air? I don't need it. I don't care anymore.

Everything's so monochromatic in my eye and I can't even determine what is what anymore. I lost my eye, legs, voice, career, love and what else? Oh, that's right. My life. Funny enough that I could laugh. Why am I even living? Why bother? Endless questions pile up and they never got answered. No one could answer them. I ask and ask, but the response would always be an endless silence. This once voice that I thought was the answer left me and I realized too late that I was left behind.

The thought of the past and the present brought tears on my eye, but I didn't move. Having not eaten for the past few days left me feeble and too weak to even move, much less wipe my tears. Footsteps rang on my ears, yet I still didn't move nor did I acknowledge the person who stopped beside my bed. Warmth spreads through my cold cheeks that was stained by tears. Finally, I decided to look at my side and really, even by the warmth and touch, I already knew who it was. I don't need any proof to know who it was, but I still looked at him because I wanted to.

Maybe I wanted to talk to someone?

"Jongdae," he whispers softly, sadness and worry fills his voice, but I didn't respond, but merely looked at him like how a dead person would look. Oh, wait. I'm dead, right? His eyes were filled with worry as he swipes off the remaining tears from my cheeks. "Why are you crying?"

You don't want to know hyung. It's just my misery.

Getting the hint that I won't show any response, he changed the subject. "Do you want to eat?"

Getting no response from me, he left my side to get some food and the first thing I've noticed was that the food wasn't the typical and gross hospital food, but rather from outside. He looked so happy when he was carrying it and his grin grew wide when he took it out from the bag. It was his homemade pack lunch.

Rice, kimchi, beef, chicken, fish were mixed together and several side dishes were laid out before me, settled on my lap and I feel like puking. Minseok hyung took out the spoon and chopsticks, taking several side dishes and moved them on the big bowl. I thought that I was the one who'll eat by myself, but the next thing I know was that he was feeding me.

The first thing I did was that I reject the offer. He didn't even ask me if I wanted to eat or not! Well, I know that I'll flatly reject him, but it's still right to ask questions whether the person wanted it or not! Feeling a bit upset, I turned my head away from him. If he thought he could feed me, then think again!

Silence ensued in the cold room and I haven't had a word from him. Feeling curious, I look back at him and my heart broke when I saw his crestfallen look, the abandoned food intensifying the guilt in my heart. Not wanting to hurt him, I used the little energy I have left and slowly reach out to hold his wrist. Slowly, Minseok hyung looked up, eyes filled with unshed tears and my chest tightened from it. Pursing my lips, I nodded my head and his expression turned bright and happy. He smiled after wiping off his tears and muttered an apology.

I smiled and my eyes widened when he gasped after I realized that I just smiled. His eyes sparkled with joy as he brought the spoon to my closed lips. Raising an eyebrow at him, he just grinned and opened his mouth into an oval shape, treating me as if like I'm a child. Rolling my eyes at him, I took a bite regardless and in return, he grinned widely, eyes turning crescent and I felt something that I thought that was lost.

Putting a spoonful, he repeated the same act and in return, I took it, chewing the food carefully before swallowing it. I noticed throughout this event that his cooking didn't change at all. The distinct taste of his cooking from the past, even when we were high school, didn't change and it made me smile. This time, I wanted to.

He looked surprised, not the reaction I was expecting, but I guess it was understandable by the fact that I didn't show any life a few weeks ago. He looked genuinely happy and I was reminded of a puppy because of him. Forgotten past retracts into crumpled sands that fall back into the mark of time once again, opening up the sealed time that Father Time kept on one of the golden chambers in his void of space with this crack in between.

A comfortable silence settled on us after that as he continues to feed me and little by little, the room emits this warmth that I once have long felt and this feeling in my chest proves another thing that maybe. Maybe I'll have my happy ending after all.

~

After that one play, I decided to get a therapy. Not for my legs, but rather for my voice. It’s not really much of a therapy, but Minseok hyung insists that it is and I’ve got no choice but to give in to it. Life isn’t supposed to be wasted; I thought bitterly when Suho handed me the paper which listed the things I needed to do with the help of the Minseok hyung and him.

I’ve known Suho when he was Kyungsoo’s boyfriend before. He’s sweet, thoughtful, caring, and protective and really your typical nice guy. A rare type of man who got no wicked running through his blood. Though they may look perfect for each other, I knew from the start when I landed my eyes on him that he won’t last long. He and Kyungsoo weren’t really meant for each other. I’m not mad at him. Not at all, even was when he used Kyungsoo for a healing process, but their love was pure in one moment. They would have been together if Joonmyeon wasn’t only hurting and got his head stitched on the other side. Heart shattered like mine, but he kept it alive for the sake of living.

This broken man in front of me had been shredded to pieces that are impossible to even place together. We share the same fate and our lives had become ashes. What’s left is that we are whisked away by the wind. Unless there is hope in this cruel reality, maybe we will be able to live life again.

Empty, soulless eyes stared back at me, communicating with pain and agony which held our miserable life. Almost pulled in by his agony, almost thinking about death and misery, warmth spreads on my shoulder and I look up finding Minseok hyung with a small smile.

“Let’s get back your voice again Jongdae,” he says with assurance and confidence, smiling to keep me strong and comfort my weak will that he will be here by my side. Never leaving and always together. Warmth shrouds my shattered heart, healing pieces by pieces that it brought tears on my eyes but never left.

I slowly looked at Suho in front of me. A smile appears on his face but never reached his eyes. Suho. I gazed at him sadly and his façade breaks for a moment, an unknown emotion flashing before his eyes too quick before he quickly covers it up with a grin as he stands up.

“I wish you the best Jongdae. I know that you’ll recover your voice,” Suho utters with confidence dripping from his voice before he turns to Minseok hyung behind me. “I trust you Minseok hyung that you’ll help Jongdae with the best of your abilities. Come back after two weeks when we do another CT scan and X-ray.”

“Thank you, Dr. Suho. I’ll do my best to have Jongdae recover his voice again.”

Suho nods his head and plasters an expecting smile. I felt Minseok hyung take the handles of the wheelchair and slowly turns me away from Suho. But before I left his office, I met his gaze one last time and he smiles sadly at me, parting his lips slightly to say something.

“I’ll be okay.”

I wish you do, Suho. I wish you’ll be okay. I found my life again. Minseok hyung is here again by my side, shedding away my anger and agony. He gave me hope again in the midst of my darkness. If before I ignored his efforts to help me and compensate for his crime, now, when I regained my consciousness and life; I slowly paid attention to him. Watching him carefully and slowly appreciating everything he had done for me, just like how I used to before.

Even with a tragic past, good comes out from it. Why waste life when there are several roads ahead and lights guiding you when you walk? Especially when the person who had hurt you most will also be the person who will love you till eternity. Time comes with hours with a split of minutes with broken sands of seconds. It ticks without waiting for anyone and moves leisurely on its own and because of it; it gives both happiness and sadness at the same time.

My wounds may heal and I may have my heart back. I’m sure you will too, Suho. You will. I know you would be able to have your heart and life back again. Back with us in reality and not in your fabricated one.

[End of Jongdae’s POV]

~

"I'll be there soon, hyung. Haha! Don't worry. I've finished my work already and you've called in just the right time as if you knew my schedule," Jongin teased through the phone and the response he got was silence then an immediate burst of rambling. Jongin chuckled in return, finding Kyungsoo cute that he realized a bit too late that he said it out loud. Silence settles and Jongin laughed awkwardly, a blush forming on his cheeks when he realized what he had done and tried to cover it up.

"Don't be late, okay hyung?" Excuses, excuses, but Jongin thinks that its better this way than prolonging the awkwardness they have. Kyungsoo, on the other line, was blushing madly in his office with trembling lips and hands that his phone may have already dropped on the floor. With scrambled thoughts, Kyungsoo responded without thinking of what he was saying. "E-eh? Oh...umm, y-yeah. O-okay. S-s-see you there."

Then, he hang up quickly before slamming his forehead on his desk, quickly retracting his head and Kyungsoo lets out a groan as he massaged his reddening forehead. After massaging it, Kyungsoo squeals in delight, burying his head, this time on his arms, before a wide smile appears on his face that it almost reached his ears.

Kyungsoo couldn't get over the fact that Jongin called him cute. He knows he shouldn't act like a high school girl who got confessed by her crush, even with the fact that Jongin had accidentally called him 'cute'. It wasn't the first time anyways, but Kyungsoo wanted to step this low because of the fact that the reality is harsh and he wanted to bask into this small feeling of his that appears even by accidental.

He was in the café, computing the budget for this month and reviewing the orders they need to do which is quite a lot for this month. The flower shop had been kindly being taken care of his trusted employee and Kyungsoo doesn’t need to think twice to leave it to him since he had done it several times before. Glancing at the clock, Kyungsoo decides to get over with the work he needs to finish before taking his leave and give the keys to Sungmin to lock the café up if he was ever going to be late when he gets back.

Going through the bills and reports, Kyungsoo luckily finishes on time and has an hour to spare before going to his friendly date with Jongin. As much as it hurts, Kyungsoo thinks this is better than nothing and he could be contented with this. Taking his coat from the rack, Kyungsoo heads outside, but not before throwing the keys to Sungmin who glared at him for almost making him drop the tray which in return, Kyungsoo grinned.

He and Jongin had decided to meet up at the mall near the beauty salon since Kyungsoo had to get some groceries and designs for the upcoming wedding that Kyungsoo had to prepare for. He was chosen by his VIP customer to be her wedding planner, and being the Kyungsoo he was, he politely declined the great opportunity, but because of the incessant pleadings, Kyungsoo had given in, but he would only take care of the flowers and food. Nothing else and nothing more. And with great delight, the VIP customer had agreed just as long as he participates in her wedding and because she trusts him that he will make her wedding beautiful.

Jongin, on the other hand, needs nothing at all. He just called Kyungsoo the other day if he was going somewhere and Kyungsoo told him the news and Jongin declares that he’s going to help him despite Kyungsoo telling him that he doesn’t need to (yet in secret, he really loves Jongin to join him). Jongin tells him that he’s going to help for the umpteenth time and Kyungsoo finally gives in. As much as Kyungsoo wanted Jongin to help him, he doesn’t want to burden the younger male because Jongin also has a life that he needs to take care of.

Worry was set aside the next day and the day had finally come where they will meet up. Kyungsoo had considered it a little friendly date of theirs in the back of his mind and he couldn’t get over this giddy feeling he has. Too caught up in his own world, Kyungsoo arrived at the mall in just 20 minutes and has a spare of 40 minutes left. Checking the time in his phone, Kyungsoo decides to give Jongin a call later; not wanting to let the younger find out that he was expecting this one quite excitedly and wandered around the mall.

Along with his little journey, Kyungsoo didn’t expect to see him since he was the last person that Kyungsoo thinks he is going to ever meet in a place like this. Eyes wide and mouth slightly parted, Kyungsoo sputters the name of the man who appeared quite calm.

“J-J-Joonmyeon?”

~

“Kyungsoo, you’ve been staring at me for like 5 minutes now. Is there something on my face?” Joonmyeon raises his eyebrow and Kyungsoo finds himself snapping back to reality. It’s been almost a week since he last saw Joonmyeon. After the incident with Jongdae, Joonmyeon had paid a visit to the café and consoled him. They talked a bit of the past and their talk had distracted Kyungsoo from the pain he had.

“Sorry hyung. I just didn’t expect you to be here,” Kyungsoo replies earnestly, voice low and shy. Why was he acting like this? Joonmyeon chuckles, ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair in return just like how he used to in the past. Joonmyeon doesn’t seem to be affected by what he had done, but Kyungsoo was. His heart throbs when Joonmyeon ruffled his hair. It brought memories of their past and it causes this twinge in his heart because of their failed relationship when they could have been better.

“Kyungsoo?” Joonmyeon calls out and the latter hums that he is still there in reality. Setting aside of the closed feelings for Joonmyeon, Kyungsoo reared the subject into a new one. Taking note of his bandaged eye, Kyungsoo looks at Joonmyeon with concern and sadness.

“Does it hurt?”

“No. It doesn’t,” Joonmyeon answers truthfully.

“How…how is Yixing doing?”

“Lay? He…he’s doing fine, I guess. Still in coma even after 3 years had already passed. A few months left before it marks his 4th year of being in coma.” Joonmyeon’s voice dripped in unknown pain veiled with agony and sadness. Kyungsoo’s heart aches for Joonmyeon’s crestfallen self. He had known that Joonmyeon had suffered a lot that it couldn’t be described no matter what. The pain itself is unbearable and Joonmyeon had to carry it until Yixing wakes up from his coma.

“How are you and Jongin doing? I suppose he’s taking good care of you?” There was concern, teasing and sincere mark in Joonmyeon’s voice, but he couldn’t hide the fact that his voice became quite hoarse and his smile didn’t reach his eyes at all. Kyungsoo knew that Joonmyeon doesn’t want to talk about it and he respects that decision of him.

So Kyungsoo smiles, relaying his stories with Jongin and both of them laughed, smiled; washing away the pain of their heart even for a little bit including the fact that Kyungsoo excluded his pain and mostly talked about Jongin and not his.

They shared their laughter, stories and life. Excluding their pain and bring out the happiness. Why spoil the fun with sadness? Better leave it out and deal it all alone, because burying your problem to another person who had been experiencing problems too just like you; just tuck it in back in your heart and put up a mask and laugh.

Forgetting time, Kyungsoo had used up his spare time and it was too late when he realized that he had forgotten about Jongin and what they were supposed to do. Jongin called him, reminding him of the mistake he made and he apologizes profusely and told the younger that he’ll be on the way. Dropping the call, Kyungsoo apologetically looks at Joonmyeon who only smiled at him.

“It’s fine. You go ahead to your date. I’m waiting for someone here anyways.”

“Someone?”

“Yeah. A fellow doctor of mine.”

“Oh. Thanks for the chat, Joonmyeon. Take care of yourself and hang in there okay? Just call me when you need something. I’ll see you soon.” And Kyungsoo left in a hurry, almost tripping along the way making Joonmyeon chuckle. The person who was seating behind him chuckles along him, and was the first one to speak.

“You owe me some lunch, you bastard.”

Joonmyeon smirks. “Do I?”

“Suho.”

“I didn’t know you were behind me you know. Your loss, Dae.”

“Shut it, Suho. You’re going to treat me for lunch and that’s final!” Daehyun growls and Joonmyeon gave in with a sigh, standing up followed by Daehyun who got a victory smile on his face.

“Why did I even agree in meeting you?” Suho muttered under his breath while Daehyun hooks his arm with him and drags him along to wherever they are going

~

Jongin had this sickening feeling in his heart. A thorn that he doesn’t notice that he had until he sight Kyungsoo with Joonmyeon, chatting away with smiles and laughter. He doesn’t like the feeling at all and it gives this feeling off that he wasn’t quite familiar with. He didn’t experience this with Taemin before, but when he just saw Kyungsoo with Joonmyeon, the foreign feeling rises unexpectedly and caught him off-guarded.

He had arrived a little 10 minutes after Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon met. He was a bit early due to not wanting make the older wait and he arrives a bit early as he thinks. Thinking that he was early, Jongin decided to wander around the mall, to help Kyungsoo pick some stores so that they won’t be looking aimlessly when they look around for the materials and designs.

He had been quite excited to this little outing he have with Kyungsoo, though he was the one that insisted to join the latter male, but nevertheless, was happy to spend time with Kyungsoo. He had formed a bond with Kyungsoo just like with Chanyeol and Kris and his cousin, Sehun even to the point favouring Kyungsoo a little bit than his long time best friends. He had been attached to Kyungsoo ever since he had met the older male that he doesn’t know to explain.

Chanyeol was right about him like a koala, but he doesn’t care. He feels happy when he makes Kyungsoo happy. This fluttery feeling on his stomach proves something different, but he ignores it even the feeling of something warm in his heart whenever Kyungsoo would ruffle his hair. It would almost be compare to love, but Jongin knows better that it isn’t.

Yet, for the past few weeks, he had this sickening feeling in his heart whenever he would part ways with Kyungsoo when he always get calls from a meeting and several occasions when they are chatting or spending their free time together. Helping Kyungsoo in the flower shop heightens their meeting together, but it would always end up with work and there is no communication at all. Kyungsoo also had to go to the café in replacement of Jongdae to attend to the customers and the café’s well-being.

It wasn’t pleasant at all, but Jongin tries his hard to forget about it. He thinks it’s just a play since he had given up of love and the bad events had clashes together last three years ago deluded himself into this kind of emotions. But seeing how things play, Jongin’s not too sure anymore if this is nothing or something.

His chest tightens when he sees Kyungsoo happy with another man and to make it worse, an ex-boyfriend, but Jongin knows it’s not right. Kyungsoo sees him as a little brother and he also sees him as an older one…right? Deciding that it would spoil their fun and that maybe, they need to catch up with their lives since they haven’t see each other at all; Jongin leaves them and wanders aimlessly in the mall.

When he noted some goo d shops and got back on the location they should meet, Jongin decides to call him, purposely wasting 20 minutes than the expected time. The phone rings and rings and Jongin silently chant in his head for Kyungsoo to pick up.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo’s voice fills his ears and Jongin sighs in relief, smiling a bit to himself.

“Hyung, where are you? I’m already here.  A little bit late than the expected time, but are you here already?” he lies, but he had decided to keep it to himself instead. He doesn’t want to let Kyungsoo know of his petty feelings and worry over something so trifle. Even with a little pain in the heart, Jongin sets aside what he saw in the back of his mind and focus on Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo apologizes profusely and tells him that he’ll be there in a minute. Kyungsoo’s panicky voice makes Jongin at ease and comfortable, easing away the heavy heart. He laughs and hums as he drops the call, waiting for Kyungsoo to ride the escalator down and when he sight the older, he waves his arm with a grin. Even when Kyungsoo apologizes again and he tells him that it’s okay, yet Kyungsoo insists that he’ll make up it up for him and Jongin just drags the older male to their destination who had much protests, but let himself drag along; the uneasy feeling he had doesn’t go away.

 [Luhan's POV]

Things weren't supposed to be this way. What have I done to deserve this cruel and harsh punishment? Was I cruel from my past life? Was I a criminal who murdered a lot of people? If I was, then I would have understood, but that's not what had happened. I feel like I've been wronged, but I'm mature enough to understand that this is reality. That no reward comes from an easy life and if they have, their doom waits for them sooner or later.

I have cooperated with Sehun just as much as he had expected. Ignoring...no, thrashing away our past and treat each other as strangers dealt a heavy blow to me. I felt dying for the first few days and because of it, I avoided him like a plague just like he wanted to. But no matter how I avoid him, we always end up seeing each other no matter what. And pain spreads like wildfire when he passes by me without a word.

I know that I have hurt him for 7 years, taking his life from him and ruined him. I know the weight of my sins, but does it really have to end here? Can't there be any hope at all? I know that I said I will find him, but even though I am successful and all; a promise that I made didn't falter during those times.

I looked for him when I got back from Korea after I got away from parent's clutches. I already had this terrible feeling on my chest when he didn't pick up my calls and what makes it worse was that the old house we used to live in was empty and I had known that I had hit the dead end. I looked him for months with barely any cash with me and when I had this realization that I won't be able to find him; I worked hard.

I worked for years with the help of Yongguk and Himchan, finding Tao along the way and made him my companion, made the hotel a five star and known in the world, yet even then, I looked for him. I didn't give up and looked for him with the best of my abilities. The reason I didn't want to show my face in public was that I'm being targeted by several companies and have been almost killed. I know that going in public would have made things easier, but I know that Sehun wouldn't like that. I must find him with my own abilities and not with the help of media.

After that fateful day, I was crushed, to describe it at least. It was painful to breathe and I wasted my life for several months until Yongguk and Himchan pulled me back to reality and snapped me off with my delusional life. It was painful at first, but I had accepted Sehun's break up a long time ago. That was the reason I got back on my feet and moved on, but he was right when he told me that I got this little hope. He was damn right about it and even up until now, I still do have this tiny hope.

Even if I trashed away our past, I could never change what I felt for him. I still love him and that will continue until the rest of my life. Even if I meet up with other men, he will still be the one whom I'll love. I'll never be able to forget him no matter what I do and that is what I hate about myself.

I tried to do what he wishes because that is the only thing I could do for him after what I've done all these years. I tried to ignore my feelings and move on, but the past kept clinging on me and I don't know what to do with it. No matter how hard I try, destiny keeps us meeting each other.

"Sehun?" I muttered unconsciously when I saw him entering my hotel when I was supposed to go out for a business party in the Wu's house. My feet stuck on the floor like glue and I couldn't move. When I was able to regain my movement, he had already noticed me and avoiding him was too late. I expected him to ignore me, but instead he approaches and my breath hitches when he stopped in front of me.  

“It’s nice to see you, Luhan hyung,” he says in a surprisingly soft tone, yet his features don’t match up with it, but I could care less about it at all. It came as a shock that he would acknowledge my presence after ignoring me as if I don’t exist at all. He started this negotiation, so why now? What is he up to? What is going through his mind that he would do this? He’s someone who doesn’t go back on his words…so why?

“H-hey,” I stammered like a cornered child in return, making me small of the difference we have. He appears calm and cold, yet I obviously look like an idiot caught in red lights. I could almost see the faint smile on his face, but maybe my eyes are playing with me. Then it happened. The curiosity that I had back in my mind decided to bust out from its cage and the words left my lips before I could even realize it.

“What are you doing here?” The words come out like a demand rather than a question, but Sehun seems unfazed by it. In fact, the way he appears looks like he was expecting this.

The smile he gives sends shivers down my spine and the way the corner of his lips curl looks like an obvious smirk. “Didn’t you know? I live here.”

Cold water pours down to my body and I become suddenly cold and rigid. What did he just say? He lives here? What does he mean? He owns a unit? That’s not possible. This is a hotel, unless...he paid off the limit breaker and has a connection with the elites. But how would that be possible? I’m not criticizing that he came from an average family and I know that he had worked hard, but with the circumstances…I just couldn’t believe that he would live here.

“Even if my family wasn’t elite like yours, we’re also rich, hyung. It wasn’t impossible to live here in a hotel, much less stay until I’m alive. You didn’t know that I live here, huh? Funny, you’re the owner, but you don’t get updates who checks in and checks out?” A glint of dissatisfaction and amusement were seen in his eyes and I suddenly feel exposed like an open book. He hums like it was nothing and I knew I had to ease the misunderstanding.

“N-no. It’s not like that Sehun. I…I just…” I was at loss of words. I know I couldn’t back this up and I immediately looked down when he glared at me in irritation. Who cares about the damn pride anyways? I could pretty much humiliate myself in front of my employees and let them know what kind of an owner I am. I could even kneel before him with everyone around. This is at least I could do for him, but…it doesn’t happen.

Awkward silence settles and I want to make up for my errors, but he had already bowed his head and left without a word, bumping with my shoulder along the way. The pain sears on my shoulder connecting to my heart and I wanted to break down. My phone rings and vibrates in my pocket that pulls me out from my misery and I took the call with a burning throat.

“Hello?” I croak out with tears welling up in my eyes, but I hold it back in because I don’t want people to misunderstand. I’ve caught quite an attention from the people around, but still able to cover up if I’ll not cry.

“Luhan! Whe—wait. Are you okay? Are you crying?” Kris almost screeches on the phone that I stifled my laughter, but the heavy feeling on my chest never left.

“No, I’m not Kris. I’m perfectly fine. Had the party started already?” I tried to appear calm and collected and tried not to let Kris worry over something that he shouldn’t be worried about since he had his own problems with Tao. Kris doesn’t seem to buy it, yet lets it go for the sake of the silent agreement that we share before Kris speaks up again.

“Mom and dad are looking for you. They say they missed you and they’re willing to throw me out for you as a replacement,” Kris grumbles on the other line and I grinned, forgetting the pain and I didn’t bother to stifle my laughter this time.

“Should I?” I a little bit before receiving a loud ‘yah’.  “See you there, Wufan. Make sure to reserve me some Barolo, okay?”

“Isn’t that too tough for you?” I grimaced at his mocking voice. “You have a meeting with the shareholders tomorrow. If you’re asking for a tough wine…something did happen, huh?”

I groaned in annoyance by his persistence. “Fine, fine. Sangiovese would be the one. And for the last time Wufan, nothing happened,” he insists and Kris sighs on the other line making me smile. We said a quick ‘goodbye’ before I hang up; taking note of the distraction I had that made me quite ease for the rest of the day. I turned my head to where Sehun had left to, hoping to see him at least wander around the lobby, but he’s not anywhere.

I sighed and proceeded outside, my bodyguards follow suit behind me from their positions, yet placed large gaps to avoid being suspicious. I had strictly told them to never follow me unless it was 7 yards away and they wouldn’t follow me when I’m away from the hotel unless I had to go to a business party.

As I left the hotel, I may have sighted him crossing the lobby to the elevators when I looked again, but the second time betrays me and left me trudging down the stairs with a heavy heart again.

[End of Luhan’s POV]

~

Kris thinks that he’d worn his patience a bit too long and hanging on a thin string is a bad thing. He had been patient all this time. Racking his brain for anything worthy to say and sorted out all his problems. He did everything he could to endure it all and everything falls back into a worthless effort.

His patience snapped after he received the call from Luhan. Muyeong came just as he was supposed to for every business party and Kris isn’t really well pleased by his appearance. They talked for awhile before Kris entertained some of the elites that his mother had casually brought over to them that he had to pull away from Muyeong. He was far more pleased with the current situation he had, but until then, his patience wasn’t running low at that time.

It was when he was leisurely drinking some red wine when his father and mother brought unexpected guests over to meet with him. And he was sure that they wouldn’t come because he had gone a checklist of the guests that would appear and they said that they won’t be coming over since they have another appointment to attend to than to attend some lousy business party.

“Mr. and Mrs. Huang,” he greets them politely with a practiced smile. Mr. and Mrs. Huang looked pleased with his manners and praised him making his parents proud and a little bit shy. Kris refuses to meet with Tao’s eyes, but fails miserably when the younger greets his parents with his noted business, yet shy voice.

“Mr. and Mrs. Wu.” He smiles at them and Kris isn’t sure if it’s a fake or genuine. His parents praised Tao equally just like when the Huang’s praised him. It was a give and take cycle, really. The parents chatted and Kris may have learned a few things that night. That first, their family may have been friends before and second, he doesn’t remember his past very well until the point when he met Chanyeol.

While their parents chatted, Tao had long gone excused himself and Kris decided to join him. Following behind, Kris watches Tao leaves the house and takes a breather outside in the garden. He doesn’t stop beside the younger, but placed a distance between them and both of them looks at the large pond that grew dim without the presence of the fishes.

While silence settles on them, Kris, for a moment, had thought of Luhan would be arriving soon, in fact, he may be here already. Yet even with the thought of Luhan, it doesn’t shy away the fact that he followed the younger outside in the garden and that he has some intention to why he had done that. But Kris doesn’t speak, yet he’s hanging on one very thin string and it’s bound to snap in a little while.

“Do you need something, Mr. Wu? You’ve followed till here and I suspect that you have something to say where no one will hear, am I wrong?” he speaks in a cold manner and Kris swallows the lump on his throat. He’s nervous for some reason and he wonders why. What Tao had suspected is true, but for some reason, he can’t get down to it. He feels that there is something wrong with this whole thing. He feels that this is just a play, but he can’t distinguish between a fabricated one and what is not.

So he decides to set it down with a small talk. “This…this is a first for the Huang’s to announce their heir. People assumed that they don’t have a heir at all, much less a son.” It was crap, but it’s better than nothing. Tao snickers before laughing a bit that Kris could detect the slight mockery in it, and maybe a little bit of disgust.

“Really now? Well, I guess it would have been understandable considering by the fact that they threw me out several years ago like a rag doll and retrieved me again when they needed me,” Tao disgruntled with bitterness in his voice. Kris had known the facts, but it was a first hearing the pain from the younger male. Feeling a bit apologetic, Kris mutters a ‘sorry’ and Tao snorts at his attempt to comfort him.

“How about you, Mr. Wu? I heard from my father that you are a professor from some university,” the younger says with a playful curiosity that Kris flinched at his words, unexpected by the comeback. “What happened? You majored in education, and business doesn’t have any connection with it. Don’t you think it’s a bit suspicious?”

Kris grits his teeth by his words. What was he up to? Even with a great distance, they could very well hear each other and any form of sound would be heard. Tao looks at him with a sly smile, but his eyes were cold and empty in return. “I heard Minho is the heir of the business, but for some reason, he’s stationed in Japan and to back up the business in Korea, you took over with a little amount of knowledge in business. People spread rumours around about it, Mr. Wu. Nasty and horrible rumours, but soon it died down, yet the rumours are still caught up in the wind, somewhere along ready to be brought up again. Now, my question is, do you know those rumours?”

Kris sees red and charges forth to the latter, grabbing his collar and snarls at him. The patience that he had longed to keep snaps and finally he explodes. Rage filled Kris’s eyes as he stared at Tao’s calm and cold ones and the former feels punching the heir, but he doesn’t. Instead he opts to questioning.

“Shut it, Zitao. 3 years had gone by and you weren’t here at all. You were mute back then, but returned with a voice. You left without a word and all of a sudden, you don’t remember me at all when in fact, you remember everyone except me!” Kris yells with pure rage, but Tao doesn’t answer, unfazed by his actions.

“Why is that? Why am I the only person you don’t remember? You know everyone! Yet you pretend that you don’t know me and had me fooled that you have amnesia, but after observing you for weeks; I knew that it was all a lie.” Tears pricked his eyes, but he doesn’t care. Not when the person who made him suffered looked unaffected and doesn’t care at all for his well being. “You ing know yourself that this is a lie! A ing lie that you deluded yourself just to avoid me! What the hell did I do, Tao? What did I do that you had to be this way?”

“When I received your message that day, I thought I was given a wrong verdict for a crime I never did. A single word that led me to chase you and only to find out that you’re gone. Did you know how much I’ve suffered? How much I longed to see you? How much I wanted to see you and ask you what I did wrong for you to leave me? Tell me! Tell me Huang Zitao!” he shouts at him once again and this time, tears fell and ran across his cheeks that made his throat burn in fury and pain. Yet with everything, Tao doesn’t seem fazed at all and only looks at him with dead eyes.

And slowly, his grip loosens, yet stayed on the collar. “What did I do? Have I done something so wrong that you had to leave me? Is it about the time when I didn’t show up when we were supposed to meet? Then I’m sorry. I was caught up with something that I wasn’t able to saw your message. Just…just tell me. What I did wrong. I…I’m tired of not knowing what my fault is.” Kris’s voice grew softer and weaker until a small whimper came out from his lips. He doesn’t give a damn if he looks a wreck, but he had gone far too long enduring something of not knowing what he’s fault was. Eventually, he releases his grip and brings his hands down, a tired sigh escaping his lips as he carelessly wipes away his tears.

Kris was expecting at least some answer, but no matter how much he waits, there’s none and his heart was crushed because of it. When he looks at the younger again, he was met with a cold, stoic face that he always sees; nothing changed even with his outburst.

Feeling utter disappointment and shame, Kris leaves him alone in the garden and resigns for the night. Tao stood motionless from where he stood and soon enough, his façade broke when he closed his eyes and fought back the tears that threatened to spill. He lets out a shaky sigh when footsteps join him with his sad sight.

“Mun,” he mutters, knowing well who it was. His servant lowers his head, waiting for his command, but he doesn’t give any. He’s too far caught up with his emotions that he can’t fight back the pain that burns in his heart and throat. He opens his eyes and looked around with unshed tears as Mun closes in their gap.

“Young master,” he softly says and Tao bitterly smiles.

“I know. I know. It’s already hard keeping a straight face and…and…” Tao doesn’t continue as Mun envelopes him into a hug, his arm to comfort him. Tao lets himself lean onto Mun, since he’s the only one capable of comforting right now and probably, know his feelings. He lets his tears spill from his eyes and looks for the warmth that’ll calm him down. He doesn’t find it, because he knows that it’s not Mun, but he tries anyways. Because the source of his joy and warmth is not here and he had hurt him too much that nothing will return to the way it was.

 

Things weren’t supposed to be this way, but it had to be, because it needs to. A test of fate that will bring out the verdict for them. One final trial. For the end to come, let them overcome the trial that fate had set up for them. For a perfect ending to be made, there must be a flaw.

Trials may hurl down to them and may even change the ending they are supposed to have, but destiny will be the one to judge. It is the pre-written record of the present and future, fate just intervenes and spice things up and mess around, but destiny records the ending. Whether it is a failure or a happy one, one will come to know soon when the verdict is handed down.


A/N: Because I decided to update even with a headache (which I don't regret), I will put the colors (except this author's corner) and divider tom. Typos not check as usual, but bear with me. I had this headache ongoing for three days and school is starting in roughly 3 days. If it continues for the rest of the remaining days, I'll skip first day of class. Expect that I'll be updating from the first week of June till class ends by rough Friday and Saturday only. Yes, I know that it won't be good, but I'll be posting the other stories' chapters. I've got it ready and I'm trying to finish everything this year.

So set aside my announcement, I hope the chapter is well enough. I toned down the angst a bit. The last draft was worse than this and had no promising looks, but I hope this done the trick. I'm itching for some Kaichen or other pairings, but maybe it's just me craving for more ice cream even with a headache like this? The previous conversation got you shaken a bit...was it even the right term? Anyways, a little bit more till the end comes.

And oh. The wine. Right.

Sangiovese: An Italian grape that can be made into excellent wine, it is famously used in Chianti wine. One of the most well regarded Sangiovese clones is Brunello.

Barolo: Barolo is an Italian red wine that is usually very heavy and tannic. A big, bold taste that can go great with red meats and other hearty meals.

I pick Merlot and Sangiovese better than Barolo. As Kris says, it's too tough. Lol.

Thank you guys for staying with me, though I wanted to hear the other's thought, but those who comments always; I sincerely thank you and even the silent readers! Don't worry, I'm not forcing ya or anything. My friend just pointed it out and I told her that I just wanted to thank you guys. Having you read my work is enough for me. Thank you very much and I hope everyone will stay well! Those who have school coming up, do well in your studies as I will do mine and make 2014 a successful year!

I'll be signing out now to tend to my headache. Bye!

XOXO