Chapter 20

Silencio Bella

Finale: Price for Happiness


Minseok zips the bag to a close and hauled it down from the bed. He fixes the sheet of the bed to its former look before it had been used. He looks around if he missed anything to pack and to his relief, he had finished all the packing. The room looks more spacious than it was before and he recalls all the memories that had transpired in the room for the past years. To think that he had come a long way from those horrible years, a small smile makes a way on his face.

There was few knocks on the door and he turns around to find Kyungsoo coming in the room. The brother of his love one greeted him with a smile. “Are you done packing, hyung?” Minseok pats the luggage beside him. “All done.”

“Jongdae hyung should be back now from the doctor’s office. I’ll get the luggage for you.” Kyungsoo proceeds to take the luggage and leaves Minseok behind. Just as Kyungsoo had said, Luhan had wheeled Jongdae back to the room. “Room service!”

Minseok chuckles at the sudden words that Luhan had said. “This isn’t your hotel Luhan. Thank you, though.” He moves towards Jongdae and briefly kisses him on the temple.

“Today’s the last day, isn’t it?”

“Yeah. Thanks for the help as always, Luhan.” Luhan smiles knowingly to him before taking his leave. Once they were alone, Jongdae lets out a long sigh and Minseok gives him a concerned look. “What’s wrong?”

Jongdae silently chewed on his bottom lip, unsure where to start. Minseok waits for him to reply, not wanting to push it if it’s something that Jongdae can’t say. With a voice above a whisper, Jongdae mutters out his concern. “Is this okay?”

For a moment, Minseok wasn’t sure what Jongdae is talking about, but when he looked at Jongdae and saw how he was covering up his anxiety, he realizes what he needs to do. He didn’t give his response right away, instead he takes the foldable stool beside the table and sits In front of Jongdae.

They were blanketed with a moment of silence before Minseok opens his mouth to give his response. “Do you still remember the day that you confessed that you liked me?”

Jongdae shifted his gaze towards him, meeting his eyes; a certain glint that tells of the past. “Yeah, I remember. How could I not?” he responded with a wry smile. That day was still etched in his mind, unable to forget, yet it was also something that he cursed back then.  For a love that was paid for a price, he had suffered a lot.

Minseok shifts a bit on his seat, trying to pick his words carefully so that he wouldn’t end up hurting Jongdae in the process. “Beauty* wasn’t something that made me betray you twice.” He clasps his hands together, a sad smile making its way on his face. “It was the thought of being normal.”

“Being normal?” Jongdae repeated his words, noticing the weight of that reason and how it connects to Minseok’s past actions. Normality is something he had thought about, but never paid any attention—free will is given to every person, so why he should be bound to the rules of what is right that keeps his from attaining his happiness?

Jongdae knew that life wasn’t that easy to deal with, and that also goes with which team you prefer to play with. He only thought about himself and his selfish demands, that he never really got a proper look to why Minseok chose to betray him. He was so caught up with his damaged pride and feelings that he never asked about what Minseok thought about their relationship.

Minseok observes him, noticing how his shoulders turned rigid. Well, that is to be expected. He had never opened it up to Jongdae or anyone else for that matter. That kind of reaction is normal to have from someone who is outright gay. Just like what Jongdae fears, it is also what Minseok desperately wants to have. “It was always my dream to have a family. That’s been my dream ever since I was a child.”

Jongdae visibly tensed up at the word ‘family’. Something that he couldn’t give to the person he love and something that he had taken away from him. Guilt was creeping up to his skin, his fears confirmed. Jongdae wanted to apologize, but Minseok decided to hold his hand and take away his fears. “But after meeting you, hurting you and how we had come this far, I realized that dream of mine could stay as a wishful dream. Because what I have now is far more precious than having a family of my own. It doesn’t matter if your legs are vegetable or you’re missing an eye, you’re still you. You are still the person whom I fell in love with.”

Jongdae could feel his tears streaming down from his cheeks and Minseok meets his apologetic gaze. “But, I think I could have my own family with you. If you are up to adoption, of course.” Wiping the younger’s tears with his thumb, he flashes him a soft smile. “Now then, do you feel my love?”

The last statement kind of ruined the sentimental moment for Jongdae and he briefly glared at Minseok for it. The older laughs heartily and quickly pecks his lips that made the younger blush in embarrassment. “Wha-! Minseok!”

Minseok grins at him making Jongdae disgruntle. Minseok looks at him with adoration and swiftly took Jongdae’s hand once more. Perplexed, Jongdae looked at him and Minseok kisses the back of his hand. “I know I can’t change what had happened in the past, but this is the last time I’ll make a promise to you. I’ll make up all of what I’ve been lacking. I’ll always be there for you and I’ll make sure you’ll be able to walk and make pastries again.”

Minseok inhales and he closes his eyes briefly before opening them again to lock gazes with the person he loves. “Will you allow me to be by your side again?” His question was met with silence and Minseok could feel his heart beating from his chest when Jongdae’s face clouds over with a sombre look on his face. His heart races in fear and though, he knew their relationship is stable enough to be considered as lovers again and yet, the fear of Jongdae rejecting him still resides in his heart no matter how the situation looks like.

But to his surprise, he was met with an embrace and a sob. Concerned, he asks if the younger was alright and wanted to look at him, but Jongdae tightened his grip around his neck. “You idiot!” he yells and Minseok jerks a bit from the sudden yell. “Why are you still sticking up to me? Though you’ve hurt me, I’ve also hurt you. In fact, I’m also to blame for everything because never have I once thought of what you might have felt, and still you decided to stay by my side.”

Returning the hug, Minseok shifts his gaze at the ceiling, a smile plastered on his face. “You’re an idiot, you know? You could have just left me behind. You could have just pursued your dream when the chances had arrived and yet, you still sought out for me,” Jongdae mutters and Minseok could feel the sleeve of his shirt dampen with tears. “I know.”

“I can’t walk.”

“I’ll be your legs.”

“I might break things or spill some food because I can’t see from my other eye.”

“I’ll be your right eye.”

“I can’t give you a family.”

“It’s alright, because you’re all I need.”

Jongdae grits his teeth, before letting out a defeated sigh. He quietly sobs at Minseok’s shoulder, muttering ‘idiot’ several times. The older chuckles and rubs the younger’s back in comfort. “Didn’t I tell you? Even if your legs are vegetable or you’re missing an eye, it doesn’t matter. You are still the Jongdae who I fell in love with.”

Minseok smiles as Jongdae mutters inaudible words. Tightening his hug around the younger, Jongdae returned it where both of their feelings for each other are made known. A sole promise tying them once again for both of them had paid the price for what they wanted to achieve.

“I love you.”

“Lonely, lonely butterfly. You have decided to live. Happiness shall be granted for a price.”

Jongdae remembers his dream, a solemn voice giving him two choices. It was familiar, but also unfamiliar at the same time. It was a vague conversation, but one thing he knows, is that he had found his will to live once more. He was able to feel the warmth of the person he loves again and that was enough.

“I love you too.”

 

 

They had left the hospital after saying their goodbyes to the doctors and nurses who had helped them. While driving, Minseok took a brief glance at Jongdae who was looking out at the window with a look of nostalgia evident on his face. With a smile on his face, he turns the car to the left which earned him a confused reaction from his lover.

“Aren’t we going home?” Jongdae inquired, brows knitted together in confusion. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see,” Minseok replies and though it isn’t convincing, Jongdae doesn’t press further. Minseok lets a shaky breath, relieved that Jongdae didn’t ask anymore or else, he’ll blurt out the surprise in no time. Regaining his composure, Minseok drives the care to their destination.

While they were passing some buildings, Jongdae squints his eye, noticing the familiarity of the city and while Jongdae slowly notices the surprise, Minseok takes a last turn to the left before parking the car.

“Wha—? Why are we here?” Dumbfounded he was, Jongdae gaped at Minseok who only responded with a grin. Minseok was the first one to get out, taking the wheelchair out from the trunk and helps Jongdae to the wheelchair. Closing the door of the car, Minseok wheels Jongdae to the place he never imagined going back to.

“Minseok?” Jongdae tries calling out to his lover, but Minseok simply pushed the wheelchair towards the door of the café. Jongdae could make out two of his former employees opening the glass door of the café and once inside, he felt his breath had hitched. Tears had formed unknowingly at the corner of his eyes and he felt them roll down to his cheeks.

Inside the café were all of his friends, employees, some regular customers, Jongin and Kyungsoo holding a banner of ‘get well soon’, ‘welcome back’ and had a smile on their face. He didn’t notice the bouquet of flowers that Minseok placed on his lap due to the shocked state and also due to his blurry eye. He couldn’t help but supress his sob when Minseok hugged him from behind, whispering ‘I love you’.

Kyungsoo looked at the people behind him and nodded.

“1.”

“2.”

“3.”

 

 

 

 

“Welcome home, Jongdae!”