Chapter 2

Close Your Eyes

"Wow, thank you guys so much! I didn't expect so many subscribers or votes after just the first chapter but I do appreciate it so much! Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've started a few other stories, and school has started up once again. So, enjoy!

 

Time flew so fast... Soon, Suho and Yixing were no longer the chubby little kindergardners who spent every day in Yixing's backyard digging for earthworms. They had became second graders themselves; a little bit taller, a little bit bolder, and their friendship, just a little bit stronger. 

Yixing was still the popular foreign boy, his strange accent, his dimple, and his unique and wonderful personality attracting more and more students and admirers. However, Suho was still the simple little boy he always was. Of course, he had grown cuter, but to the rest of the school, he was just the school nerd that Yixing had somehow grown fond of. 

Yixing was extremely frustrated at the misunderstanding of his best friend, but Suho just brushed it off, merely shrugging his small shoulders, hunched over from the piles of books he brought with him everywhere. "As long as you're my best friend" he panted, the heavy books digging into his back as he leaned against the small desks, "I'll be fine." Giving Yixing a small smile, he hurried to his own desk, before the first bell rang and the usual crowd surrounded Yixing. 

That afternoon, Yixing and Suho clambered onto the school bus together. Suho followed behind Yixing, shuffling his feet, eyes drilling holes on the ground. He was waiting for it. Waiting for the foot that he knew someone would stick out. Waiting for the second he sees the foot.. Waiting for the embarresment as he tripped on the said foot anyways and crashed into Yixing. It never came.

He looked up in confusion, and saw the reason. Apparently, Yixing wasn't as oblivious as everyone thought. While Suho was meekly staring at the ground, Yixing was glaring in defiance at everyone around them. When they reached the boy who tripped Suho yesterday, Yixing stopped, turning to face the boy.

"You there" he started coldly, eyes brittle and hostile. "Trip my friend again, and" He paused for effect, his eyes wandering around the bus cooly. He leaned towards the boy and snarled something into his ear, causing the other boy to turn pale. Nodding in submission, he turned towards Suho meekly.

"Sorry about yesterday" he muttered, not sincere in the least, but Suho didn't mind. His whole face was flushed and he glared at his feet. "It's no biggie" he replied, pushing Yixing along until they reached their usual seats. 

"You didn't have to do that" he hissed at Yixing, face still flaming. "It was partially my fault... I saw the foot, but I didn't stop fast enough."

Yixing simply gave a small chuckle. "You were falling every single day Suho... And besides, I've had enough. You're my best friend, and they can't do anything about it."

They arrived at the bus stop and got out, the whole bus holding their breath in anticipation, waiting to see if anyone would dare defy Yixing. 

No one did. As Yixing walked, he glanced around, raising his eyebrow, mouth quirked into a small smirk.

They stepped off the bus and started the short walk to Yixing's house. It was spring and the snow had finally all melted. Birds were chirping; small tweets that filled the otherwise silent street and Suho admired the bulbs that were flourishing. 

They finally reached Yixing's house. Suho had been over many times, but this time it was completely different.

Suho knew Yixing's parents were writers who had moved around a lot. However, they had been living here the past few years and both boys had stopped worrying about Yixing moving. However, Yixing's usually meticulous house was overturned with boxes. 

"Yixing dear" a female voice called out from somewhere in the mound of boxes and Yixing's mother popped out. "Oh Suho, darling" she called out warmly, completely used to having Suho over. "Yixing, we're moving. We leave next week, okay? So help pack up your own room."

Suho could feel his heart sinking. "You're moving, Mrs Zhang?" he asked weakly while Yixing just stood there stupidly. 

Mrs. Zhang's face softened and she looked regretful. "Yes Suho... We're moving. We might come back one day though... I'm sorry"

Everyone knew how much Yixing meant to Suho and visa versa and Mrs. Zhang knew that leaving this small town would split up their relationship, and the chance of them moving back was slim. However, seeing the hurt and broken look on the boys' faces, it had slipped out...

"Promise?" Suho asked wearily, eyes beginning to tear up slightly. "Promise you'll try to move back?"

Mrs. Zhang returned his gaze tenderly. "Of course Suho."

 

The two boys trampled up to Yixing's room, where Yixing threw his backpack on the ground and dived into his bed, throwing a mini temper tantrum. "I don't want to move" Suho could hear through the muffled sheets as Yixing lay still, facedown on the bed. 

Turning towards Yixing's closet, Suho began to fold clothes, dividing the articles of clothing by what he knew Yixing liked and what Yixing never wore. 

"What are you doing?" Yixing demanded, sitting up, eyes slightly red. "Do you want me to move out too? Why are you packing my things?"

Suho couldn't face the other boy as he continued folding. "Of course not" he muttered, voice cracking. "But there's nothing we can do about it... Just promise you won't forget me."

Yixing snorted and picked himself off the bed. "Some questions are so stupid, they don't deserve answers" he retorted, throwing a pink striped shirt off his bed and picking up a light blue scarf. "You made this for me last year, right?" he asked, wrapping the lumpy blue scarf around his neck.

Suho blushed, remembering how long it had taken to stitch the winding cloth. "Yeah" he murmered. "It looks awful, take it off."

Yixing simply grinned back at him, dancing out of reach. "No. I think it's the most beautiful scarf I've ever seen."

And it was true. Suho remembered how Yixing wore that lumpy scarf every single day of winter last year. At first, Suho thought the other boy had no other scarf, until he had found the large collection of scarves Yixing had hanging in his closet When confronted, Yixing simply replied. "I like yours better."

Yixing bit his lip, eyes furrowed in thought. "You have to promise me something too" he finally said, folding a white button down shirt sloppily.

Suho sighed, shaking the white shirt out before folding it neatly and placing it in a pile. "Sure... what?"

Yixing flashed him a small smile, and Suho was reminded of the first day they met. Yixing's dimple still sat there, waiting to be poked, and Suho almost laughed remembering how he had asked his mother, "Mommy, where do you buy dimples?"

Suho grinned back, thinking to himself, He hasn't even left yet, and I'm already nostalgic about him.

"I want you to promise me, that your best friend position will always be left open for me"

Suho chuckled at Yixing's request. "It won't be left open Xing" he replied, smirking. "You're going to be sitting on that throne, don't you dare leave...." Hesitating, he turned towards Yixing. "You can have other friends, Xing, I don't mind, but... I'll always be your friend right?"

"Nah," Yixing replied. "You'll always be my best friend. No one else is good enough. Now close your eyes."

Suho's eyes shut immediately, wondering what it was this time. "10... 9... 8..."

"Hold your hand out" Yixing instructed and Suho complied willingly. "7... 6.... 5.... 4... 3... 2..."

In his hands, he felt something soft and furry. "1" he finished, opening his eyes. In his hands was a matching scarf, this one green. It was lumpy and misshapen but in Suho's eyes it was perfect. 

"I was planning on giving it to you later, but... Well..." 

No one finished the thought.

 

~~~

"You'll always be my best friend" Suho mumbled into Yixing's shoulder as they stood outside the airport. 

"And you'll always be mine" Yixing replied, his voice breaking, before he turned, pulling his suitcase with him. 

Suho watched as Yixing walked farther and farther away from him. The tears he had been suppressing were leaking out now and he stared at Yixing's retreating back. 

You'll always be my best friend...