Chapter 1

Close Your Eyes

Suho sat in the corner of the courtyard near the playground, nose buried in a book. However, a peal of laughter drew his attention away from the comforting black and white of the words, and into the playground where a group of his classmates were gathered. The gaggle of kids were crowded around Zhang Yixing, the foreign student from China that had just moved in town.

Six year old Suho let out a small sigh, wishing for a second; just a second mind, that he was within that group, talking to the small, angelic looking Chinese boy. His thoughts were cut off when a small gang of second graders crowded around him, blocking his view of the crowd. 

Suho gulped nervously, eyes downcast. This was BaeHo's group of bullies, and they always picked on Suho. After all, he was easy target. The only kindergardner who had yet to find a best friend, the only one who spent his lunchtimes alone, clutching a small brown bag in his chubby hands. 

"Thinking about that foreign student" BaeHo sneered while his supporters jeered at Suho. Suddenly, BaeHo's large hands were clutching the front of Suho's shirt, a wicked gleam in his eye and Suho could feel tears threatening to fall out. "He'd never look twice at you, you nerd."

"So young, yet so mean already" a quiet yet forceful voice drawled out from behind BaeHo, and the hold on Suho's shirt was loosened as the older boy swung around to see who had dared to confront him. As Suho blinked back his tears, and his vision cleared, he too glanced warily at the voice's owner.

Yixing stood there, the rest of the kindergarden population crowded behind him, shock written in their small, round eyes. No one had dared to confront a second grader before, and they were anxious to catch a glimpse of the action.

His voice had a slight Chinese accent to it, as he had just moved here a few weeks before, but his gaze was crushing and condescending as he in turn sneered at BaeHo. "Why don't you pick on someone your own size" he asked, his voice ringing throughout the courtyard, and Suho wriggled in BaeHo's grip, face flushing at all the attention. 

"And he's no nerd" the Chinese boy continued, eyes never leaving BaeHo's face, a look of pure dislike sitting on his angelic features. "He's a very nice boy, and who said I wouldn't look twice at him."

BaeHo's finally snapped out of his daze, the sneer back on his face, a slight hint of worry written on his features. "Oh, the foreign boy" he growled, looking at his supporters for support, instead finding his friends were staring downcast at the ground. "Oh, don't tell me you all worship this boy too" he huffed, before dropping Suho and stalking away to where the other second graders were playing. 

Suho could feel the tears welling up in his eyes again as the crowd's attention turned now towards him, a mixture of pity, curiosity and amusement written on their faces. Clutching his book to his chest, Suho got up shakily before shoving through the crowd and into the school building. He rushed past classrooms until he finally reached the bahroom, and climbed into a stall before locking himself in and finally letting the tears loose. 

A few seconds later, the bathroom door swung open and the patter of feet alarmed Suho. He muffled his sniffles, hoping that the incomer would finish his business and leave. Instead, a soft voice called out, "Suho?"

Suho cracked open the stall door wondering who this person was and came face to face with Yixing. With a small gasp of surprise, Suho crouched back attempting to lock the door again. Yixing however was too fast for him, dashing into the stall before Suho could even comprehend what was happening.

Yixing locked the door behind him, his small hands shaking slightly. "Hey Suho." he started again, his voice calm, his accent still noticeable. Suho cowered in the corner of the small stall shaking uncontrollably.

"What do you want" he mumbled, not looking at Yixing, hands clenched into tiny fists, trying to keep his tears at bay.

Yixing however, had no sense of personal space and pushed his face up against Suho's so their noses were touching. "I was wondering," he began, before turning red and backing away a little. "Well, I don't have a best friend at school yet" he mumbled, "And I was wondering if you would be my best friend...?"

Suho looked up in surprise before a strange look flashed across his face. "you're only asking because you feel bad for me" he stated, emotionless. "I don't need pity and you didn't need to stand up for me today. I'm used to i-" he stopped, knowing he had said too much. 

Yixing laughed, a small chiming sound that seemed to lift Suho's dark mood away. "I wouldn't ask you out of pity, silly" he snorted. "You can't be a best friend if I don't like you, so if I ask you to be my best friend, that means I like you" he explained, a self assured air about him. "Its a special spot" he insisted seeing Suho's doubtful face.

"You don't know me though" Suho retorted, his lower lip sticking out in a pout. 

"I do" Yixing retorted huffily. "You're in my class, and your name is Suho, and you like reading. And I'll find more out about you because best friends do that".

Suho stared at Yixing's face for a few more seconds before he replied. "Okay" he agreed. "I'll be your best friend, and you'll be mine... right?"

Yixing beamed, his whole entire face lighting up. "Right."

As Suho was about to leave, Yixing grabbed his hand. "Wait... Close your eyes."

Suho stared at him suspiciously. "What for?" he demanded.

Yixing laughed and Suho noticed the dimple that appeared. He mentally made a note to tell his mother he wanted to go buy a dimple like Yixing. "Just close your eyes silly. And count to ten."

Deciding to trust his new best friend, Suho's eyes fluttered shut. "Hold out your hand" Yixing commanded, and Suho held out his hand.

"1..." he hear rustling from where Yixing stood. "2...3...4....5....6...7....8...9...." he felt something being put into his hand. "10.." his eyes fluttered open and he looked at his hand. In his hand was Yixing's candy bar. Suho knew this because rumor had it, Yixing brought a candy bar every day to school. The candy bar was supposed to be from China and Yixing had never given one to anyone yet, though many asked. 

He stared at Yixing in suprise, but warmth flooded through him. "Thank... you?" he managed to splutter out. Yixing laughed again, his dimple showing. "You're welcome... after all, you're my best friend, right?"

"Right" Suho answered confidently this time, and he unwrapped the candy bar. Breaking it in half, he gave half of it to Yixing and stuck the other half in his mouth, closing his eyes to savour the rich sweetness of the candy. 

He heard Yixing laugh at his expression, and he opened his eyes, blinking owlishly. 

The bell rang, and Yixing popped his half into his mouth, pretending to savour it as much as Suho had before laughing and unlocking the stall. "Let's go to class now" he mumbled around a mouthful of candy.

"Okay" Suho replied, and the two ran out of the bathroom.