Star Crossed

Chapters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stare at my reflection in the mirror.

I am Im Yoona.

I am the heiress to the throne. Princess of North Everest.

My hand guides the brush that is my brown hair. I place the tiara on top of my head, smiling at myself as if I am bewitched by my own beauty. I have been told by many that I portray ethereal beauty, and that I am too good to be human. Although I am not vain, I am satisfied with numerous compliments that heightened my confidence. However, I am not easy to please. I have to admit myself, that I am picky when it comes to love. Every night, father invites a handsome young man to dinner and he introduces them to me. I scoff at every single one of them, not finding a single male worthy.

“Yoona I would like you to meet Lee Donghae,” my father gestures at the man sitting across me.

The man, Donghae, flashes me a toothy grin. “Nice to meet you your highness.”

I twirl the spoon in the bowl of soup, already feeling bored. “Hello,” I reply as I notice my father wince at my response. He knows what I mean. It means that I have no interest in the person. As usual.

Donghae shifts in his seat uncomfortably. “You’re very pretty, Yoona,” he says.

I smile without looking up at him. “Thank you,” I say.

He is no different from other guys I have met before. I sigh hopelessly. Before climbing up the stairs, my father grabs my arm gently. I turn to him confusingly.

“Yoona,” he whispers my name. “I don’t want you to be alone anymore,” he says for what seems like the thousandth time.

“Father I’m fine,” I remind him. “Worry less about me. I’m fine,” I repeat.

He sigh. “Alright, goodnight princess,” he kisses my forehead then walks to his bedroom.

I lie down on my mattress, fidgeting from time to time as I fail to sleep. After a few moments of admiring the moon from the window, I fall into a deep slumber.

Rising from the bed, I walk over to the window, letting the sun’s rays hit my face. I wake up to a strange feeling in my head. I think of the dream last night. It is unfamiliar and confounding. I cross my arms, remembering it. Then it pops in my mind. A man in white robes appears to me in the dream. I could not see his face clearly, but for the first time, I am attracted to a man.

I tell my father that I am heading to the forest, allowing me so. I drape the hood of my white fur coat over my head even though it isn’t snowing. I stroll along the soft powder of snow beneath my feet, looking back ocassionally to see the footsteps I made like a trail. For some reason, I want to get away from the palace. I want to think and be alone for once. Specifically, I am pondering about the dream. It doesn’t leave my mind.

Suddenly, I stop when I look up just to see someone a metre away from me. I gasp at the person, aware that I’ve seen him before. Last night in my dream. The man I am staring at is the man in the dream. Shock is written all over my face but he doesn’t seem to be surprised to see me. I notice his eyes pierce through mine, his expression indifferent. I can’t believe I am stunned. I never once feel to be in such a daze before. The man is tall with dark blue hair, firm jawline and oval-shaped eyes. He is very attractive and I am speechless for the first time.

“Who are you?” I ask.

He blinks at me. “I’m the prince from South Everest,” he replies.

“South Everest?” I repeat. It’s impossible. South Everest is the kingdom that is very far from here. Worse, he is from the royal family that my father dislikes. The Kings of North Everest and the South Everest have been in a feud for decades, fighting over the power to rule the land of Everest. Hence, the land of Everest divides into two, but that did not ease the conflict between the two Kings. Which means this man in front of me is my enemy. Nevertheless, our conflict doesn’t stop my curiosity to know him.

“That’s impossible, how did you get here?” I say.

“I traveled with my horse,” he says.

“How did you get pass the guards?” I ask. People from South Everest dress in navy blue from head to toe while people in North Everest dress in all white. Dress codes are a must in the kingdoms, to separate ourselves from one another.

“I met someone dressed in white along the way. I paid the person to exchange clothes in order to enter the North.”

I purse my lips. Why is he here? What does he want? “What are you doing here?”

He smiles as if he assumes that he is unwelcome in our territory. “I wanted to take a break. Just once, I want to leave everything behind and get lost somewhere. I ended up here,” he explains.

He makes sense because I know how he feels. In fact he is a prince, we are no different from each other. I want to forget everything and run away from all the duties I am obliged to. I am not conflicted only on love, but my responsibility to be a princess as well. I tire myself from all the things I have to do in order to keep the kingdom well, but sometimes I forget I am only eighteen. We are suppose to be carefree and happy. However, I am not happy. I tell myself that everytime, but what can I do? I am not the Queen, I am not the one who enforce the rules. Freedom is one thing most young royals desire.

“Who are you?” his voice interrupts my thoughts.

I look at him again, smiling. “I’m the princess from North Everest.”

I catch his eyes go vigilant. “Well, what are you doing out here in the forest?” he asks.

“I’m thinking,” I reply. “I can’t think in the palace. I like it out here where I’m alone.”

“We’re no different,” he smiles as he stares at the ground. “Nice to meet you then.”

We sit at a bench near the frozen river, where we decide to conversate.

“So does the princess have a name?” he says smiling.

“Im Yoona,” I say.

“Ok Taecyeon,” he says.

I try to . “You know, we’re enemies I recall. Shouldn’t we be insulting each other?”

He grins, facing the river. “We’re insulting right now,” he plays along.

“Oh how harsh,” I giggle. It’s been a long time since I utter a different response than ordering and talking in general. From that day on, our friendship grows every single moment we spend together.

I let him stay in a guest room in our palace since my father is always busy most of the time so he doesn’t bother me much. Every afternoon, Taecyeon and I wander in the forest. We get to know and understand one another more in between chats and stories. For some reason, I fall for Taecyeon each time and I am afraid about it because in the situation we are in, we cannot be to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter