High School Debut #1

Chapters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona pulls down her cotton vest securely, while checking her appearance in the mirror. What can we say, first day of high school is pretty alarming. Always does. But Yoona’s enthusiasm overcomes any possible negative thoughts she can think of on the first day. She is actually feeling thrilled, with a rush of excitement surging through her system. She picks up her glasses from the study table, putting them on properly.

“Time to accomplish new goals Im Yoona! You were popular in middle school because of soccer! Now, it’s time to continue that kind of fame in high school. Fighting!” she cheers at herself, giggling lightly.

Just a background info of Im Yoona in middle school. She is considered as Dankook’s star athlete due to her popularity as the ‘forward’ in the girls’ soccer team. Scored a hefty amount of goals for her school, which makes her an honor student in the campus. Her personality is quite eccentric since she is natural optimist, possessing mostly positive vibes. Her beauty is very unique but because she acts boyish, the boys in her school didn’t pay much attention on her. Straight A’s student, bookworm, and a devotee to soccer. That pretty much sums it up.

And well, that’s history now.

Time for her to face the harsh reality of high school. Dongguk High, to be exact. Just acting as a typical school girl, attending a class on the first day.

Not that typical though.

If any student notices her as she marches through the hall way, she can be a sign of disaster. By means of disaster it’s her outer appearance. Pigtail braids plus the round glasses on her face earns the impression of a nerd, long striped socks and a pair of running shoes. Yoona holds the straps of her bag like a kid, momentarily taking in the sight of lockers. The keychains that are connected to the zippers are dangling to and fro. Yeah, quite a disaster alright. Kind of like a choding. She filters out the snickers, and giggles around her as she finds her assigned locker.

“There you are,” she smiles, unlocking the lock with the combination written on the paper. She pulls out a few textbooks from her bag and shoves them in the space available. As she tapes an extra copy of her schedule on her locker, her head lifts up to her left and witnesses a couple chatting sweetly, then catching the guy pecking the girl’s cheek. It brings a smile to her face, knowing that she gets to see young love right in front of her. Thinking that happens only in the movies but no, she will get to see different kinds of couples in this school.

It’s also her current goal right now. To fall in love and get a boyfriend. Or be in a relationsip with one of the hottest guys in school. She shakes her head, laughing at the mere joke. I’m lucky if that even happens. Without another thought, she makes her way to her first class as the school bell indicates so.

Yoona walks along the row of seats, lucky she finds an available one by the window. She drops her books on the desk and turns her body to her right, greeting a female student beside her.

“Hello! My name’s Im Yoona, what’s yours?” she says extending her hand out.

The girl faces Yoona and shakes her hand, “I’m Choi Sooyoung. Wait, did you say your name is Im Yoona?”

“Yes, why?”

“You’re the soccer athlete! Am I right?”

“You went to Dankook too?” Yoona gasps, dragging her chair closer to Sooyoung.

Sooyoung nods her head. “Of course! Or else I wouldn’t be able to recognize you,” she chuckles.

“Great! I guess that makes us friends now huh?”

“Sure! Do you have any friends in this school? Or team mate perhaps?”

“Unfortunately not, what about you?”

“Nah I don’t,” Sooyoung lets out a sigh. “ on the first day when you don’t know anybody.”

“At least you know me,” Yoona successes at making Sooyoung laugh.

Their first class together is Math and they warmed up pretty quick. What Sooyoung find amusing is when Yoona explained to her that she is determined to get a boyfriend in the freshman year. How? Yoona tells her about a diary she keeps where she writes down a few tips and styles that guys may find appealing that can possibly pick her up, mostly from magazines she read about. What is even more absurd is that Sooyoung actually notices Yoona approaching a few male students down the hall and works on her ‘charms’. Pity that the guys brush her off too easily despite Yoona’s burning desire to capture someone’s attention.

At lunch time, they place their trays on the table the choose to sit at. Before they can even take a chance to sit down, a voice interrupts them.

“Excuse me this table is taken,” remarks a demanding brunette who is carrying a tray, along with three other friends behind her. “I suggest you look for some place else,” she yawns.

Yoona is about to talk back until Sooyoung drags her away from the uncomfortable scene. They end up sitting at a table near the trash cans, at least there is no one bothering them from there.

“Why did you that? You should’ve let me handled it,” grumbles Yoona from her spot.

Sooyoung wags a finger. “Yoona, you have to understand the kingdom of high school and if you want to survive you better not mess with anyone in here.”

“How come?”  

“It’s different here,” Sooyoung reminds. “Students here are much more sensitive. Blame the hormones and influences.”

“Okay, how do you know so much when you’re also a first year student like me?”

Sooyoung grins warmly at Yoona. “I’ve heard about my sister’s story, so I’m not so shocked about the rude girls here.”

“Story huh? Well then, what do you know about high school?”

“Ever heard of the terms kingka and queenka? Not to mention the ulzzangs too.”

“So what are they?”

“Kingkas and Queenkas are the popular students in the whole campus. Male and female hotties respectively. The ulzzangs are the exceptionally good-looking ones or what they infer as the ‘best faces’. If you look around this cafeteria you’ll know what I mean.”

Yoona turns her head around carefully observing the students from table to table. Indeed, there are a few students that stand out from the rest and there are about two tables that appear like the kingkas and queenkas.

“They’re like genetically made for each other,” she furrows her brows. “I mean look! They’re literally beside each other.”

“You know what they say, the pretty girls always get the hotter guys,” shrugs Sooyoung as she slurps her can of soda. “Most of the time though, not all the time.”

“High school drama here is quite interesting.”

“You bet.”

They laugh in unison. Yoona’s eyes wander about her surroundings, her gaze flickering to a certain someone among a group. She is staring at a guy who is focusing on his tray of food although there are a few girls admiring him from a few tables away.

“Yoona, come on let’s go,” she wakes up from her train of thoughts when Sooyoung taps her shoulder.

Throughout the day is easy for the both of them, only short introductions and beginning of lessons. The clock strikes four-thirty in the afternoon, indicating it’s time for the students’ dismissal. Sooyoung bids a farewell to Yoona first as she has her mother to pick her up for some kind of appointment. Yoona takes her own time to walk back to her locker, pondering about her first day.

“It’s not that bad,” she says. “I have to work harder on the techniques I’ve read.”

She can hear a few mutterings from the side which manage to gain her attention. Two girls are whispering to each other, pointing at Yoona cautiously. Yoona does a bold move by raising her chin up, shooting an accusing glare at them. The girls exchange weird glances before leaving quietly.

“Wonder what they were talking about,” she mutters.

“Hey nerd, heads up!” shouts a boy from the side.

Yoona is a second late to recognize the carton of milk spilt across the middle of the hall way. Eventually her foot slips on the floor, falling forward carelessly. As things can get any worse, she can see a couple sheets of paper flying around and her books scattering on each corner. The outcome of her clumsiness causes an uproar of laughter from several students who have witnessed the incident. Her shoes get soaked and the liquid travels to her socks, spotting her glasses at a corner too. Rage burns from within as she stands up, turning to the culprit.

“Oops, are you okay back there nerd?” snorts the boy’s other companion.

“Stop flirting with us guys around here, no one’s interested in a nerd,” laughs both boys.

She places her hands on her hips, glaring at the two idiots in the eye. Oh, she is so ready to grill these two bastards up, maybe even kick the hell out of them. She stomps her way to their lockers, only to be startled when she feels a hand pulling her arm back.

“Stop,” mumbles a deep voice behind her. Yoona turns around, her eyes not believing the person in front of her. He is by far one of the most good-looking guys she has ever seen her life and here he is, on the urge to defend her. He looks popular. He let her arm fall as he pushes her behind him. She obeys silently, still dazed from his awfully handsome face.

“Both of you did this?” his voice is so deep that it’s probably a major turn on to any girl and the piercing look in his eyes is enough to kill someone on the spot.

Yoona switches her attention to the two culprits who are literally digging their own graves at the moment. An instant reminder to her mind that the person who is defending her is someone from a higher grade, if not, there is no reason for the two students to shrink in size.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter