Flashback

Before They Turn the Lights Out

I'm so envious of happy couples.”

 

 

Those words stuck onto Sunggyu like glue and he had the emotion of guilt mixed with annoyance. He was guilty of not even mentioning he was part of her life, but there was no reason to say anything just yet. He was also annoyed of himself because it's killing him just being her friend, literally being hypocritical about his choices.

 

 

His inner conflict caused him to avoid Hea Woo for the past few days, and she was puzzled herself too.

 

 

Was it because something she said? Was it because he's uncomfortable of her planning his best friend's wedding? Probably not.

 

 

When she visited the cafe after work looking for him, an employee would always say that his shift was over. She would try to visit before work as well, but another employee said he hasn't clocked in yet.

 

 

She would even try calling him but he wouldn't answer his phone. She would try to knock on his door, but no one wouldn't open the door either.

 

 

They were alright by the end of the night when they planned with Min Hee and Woohyun. It was irking her because Sunggyu was literally the only friend she could have.

 

 

One day before work, she ran into Eumi as she got out of her apartment, “Oh, hey...” Hea Woo greeted her, “How's, you and Hyunsoo?”

 

 

“We're...good. Thanks for asking, Hea Woo.” she softly smiled, not meeting her eyes or else she would crack the truth.

 

 

The other girl forced a smile, “Hey, you're Sunggyu's roommate... Do you possibly know why isn't he answering any of my texts or calls?”

 

 

Eumi looked down, “No, I don't. I'm sorry, Hea Woo.”

 

 

She nodded, “That's alright, thanks anyway. I'll see you some other time.” she began walking away before Eumi stopped her.

 

 

“Hea Woo-ssi?”

 

 

The girl stopped and turned to look at her, “Yes?”

 

 

“Why are you always looking for Sunggyu? Hyunsoo says you don't really talk to him anymore, is it because of me?”

 

 

Her eyes widened, “No, of course it isn't! It's just that since you're a couple, I want to give you two the space and privacy you need.”

 

 

Eumi nodded slowly, “Ah, I see... Hea Woo-ssi, may I just ask one more question?”

 

 

Hea Woo nodded back in response.

 

 

“Do you possibly have an interest on Sunggyu? You two are getting much more close each day you're talking to one another.”

 

 

Honestly, Hea Woo had no answer for that...just yet. She was confused enough already, and the stress that work gave her made everything worse. She ended up just leaving the other girl without a response.

 

 

Hea Woo spent the whole day at the office just looking for something that could be the answer to Eumi's question.

 

 

Her head began to throb in pain, excruciating pain.

 

 

She saw her and Sunggyu behind the counter of a cafe, and they were wearing aprons. A middle aged lady around her early forties came out from the kitchen, by the name of Hye Jung.

 

 

The three of them were laughing so hard, and they were having so much fun on the job, even if they were taking orders or making the coffee itself.

 

 

She noticed the way how he looked at her the way all women wanted to be looked at by a man.

 

 

She noticed his genuine smile, his soft yet small eyes, and his laugh made her feel so different. Different as in it made her heart beat double its speed.

 

 

Hea Woo had to do something about this, and soon. She took out her phone and dialed a number, hoping this person would answer.

 

 

- - - -

 

 

Hea Woo had on a thick oversized turtle neck sweater dress, topped with a black trench coat and brown ankle strap heels. Min Hee, Woohyun and Hea Woo herself planned a dinner at a fancy restaurant to finalize all wedding preparations.

 

 

Hyunsoo and Eumi were coming along as well. Obviously, Hyunsoo was her partner-in-crime at work, and Eumi was Min Hee's maid of honor.

 

 

Woohyun's best man would be coming also, so this way, no one would be a third or fifth wheel.

 

 

- - - -

 

 

Min Hee, Woohyun, and Sunggyu were already at the restaurant, waiting for the remaining three to arrive.

 

 

Sunggyu sighed as he looked at his glass of water, “Do I really have to be here as a third wheel?”

 

 

“Not necessarily, Eumi and Myungsoo are coming soon.” Min Hee laughed to herself.

 

 

He sighed once again, “I shall correct myself, I'm a fifth wheel.”

 

 

The most recent couple came to the table after fifteen minutes, and they sat down with a smile, “Hey. Tablo samcheon called about thirty minutes, and he said they were going to the airport very soon. So they'll be here early tomorrow morning.” Eumi told them.

 

 

“Then we live the chaotic life again.” Woohyun made a side comment, laughing at his own response.

 

 

Sunggyu looked at him, “That wasn't funny, at all.”

 

 

Woohyun glared at his best friend, “You're just butthurt because you're just a fifth wheel!”

 

 

Another person came to their table, “Min Hee, Woohyun, I'm so sorry that I'm late. The bus I was taking broke down, and every taxi cab was occupied, so I ended up walking all the way here.” It was Hea Woo.

 

 

“Omo...” Min Hee noticed her shivering, “It's totally fine, just sit down and we'll order right now. How could you handle the cold like this? Why didn't you wear any stockings to help at least?”

 

 

“They completely ripped during my move, but that's okay.” she smiled as she sat down in the last vacant seat available, next to Sunggyu.

 

 

She looked at him as she smiled at him, “Hey, it's been awhile...”

 

 

Sunggyu nodded, “Yeah...”

 

 

Hea Woo really didn't understand why he was like this. She didn't want him like this, she wanted him to talk to her, especially because of what type of memory she saw earlier.

 


 

Omo... infinitely_rachie's updated twice this weekend! Why hello everyone. :D 

Did anyone notice a familiar quote used in a popular American literature book titled The Great Gatsby? I'll love you forever if you find it~