Envious

Before They Turn the Lights Out

Two weeks passed since the new Hea Woo met Sunggyu. She thought he was a really good friend, and she noticed them getting closer as days went on.

 

 

Since she knew Hyunsoo and Eumi were a couple, she let them be two lovers who would stroll around Central Park getting a cup of coffee. In fact, Eumi said that they did that yesterday.

 

 

Hea Woo was honestly envious of the two of them. Ever since she came to New York, the City that Never Sleeps, she was bombarded by work as she was also married. Sure, she was off the market at that time, but she never loved Himchan. He was only a friend of hers, and that was it.

 

 

She wanted someone to hold her, someone to tell her the three magical words that melts a girl's inner self-being and know that she was the one for him.

 

 

I Love You.

 

 

She never remembered what love felt like. She never remembered who she loved, or who loved her. The only thing her ex-husband would say was: “You were in love with someone when I first met you.” That was because he also envied him, even if he never came in the two years they were legally married.

 

 

Hea Woo was getting impatient just as Sunggyu was, just in different ways. She was getting impatient of waiting for her “Knight and Shining Armor” to swoop her off her feet. Sunggyu was getting impatient with her not being able to recover as he expected it to take, and he thought he just wasn't doing enough.

 

 

Love has it's hardships, but when two sides clash against each other, it's worth it.

 

 

- - - -

 

 

Hea Woo walked inside her favorite cafe and took a spot in the line, and when it was her turn, she faced her favorite barista.

 

 

“Sunggyu-yah!”

 

 

He smiled at her, “Hey, Hea Woo-ah. White Chocolate Mocha, your usual?”

 

 

She nodded and she gave a smile, “Yes, the usual.” she giggled as she gave him a five dollar bill.

 

 

He loved that smile, but he just smiled back at her and gave her back her receipt and her change, “Here you go, I'll go make your drink right now.”

 

 

“Hey, Sunggyu.”

 

 

He looked back at her, “Yeah?”

 

 

“When is your shift over? I was wondering if you wanted to do something today, since it's such a nice winter night.” she asked him.

 

 

Sunggyu was surprised, “R-really? Uhm, I get off at seven thirty, so thirty minutes from now I'm your company.” he smiled.

She smiled back at him, “Great! Then I'll wait here for you and my drink!” she walked over to the Open Mic session which was going on and watched the musician play her guitar.

 

 

Sunggyu on the other hand, was looking over at her from time to time. He loved the look of her smiling, amused of what was in front of her. That was the typical her, and he loved that. He was glad her personality never changed, because that was what he fell in love with.

 

 

Hea Woo would look back at him, and when she caught him looking at her, he'd just smile and go back to work. There was something about him that interested her, and she wanted to see if being friends with him was worth it.

 

 

Thirty minutes passed, and Sunggyu was ready to get off of work. He hung up his apron, grabbed her White Chocolate Mocha, and went up to her, “Hea Woo-ah, here you go.” he smiled.

 

 

She smiled back, “Thanks, Sunggyu. Lets go now? I thought going around Union Square would be a good idea.”

 

 

He nodded, “Sure, that sounds great. Lets go there.”

 

 

“Hurry, lets hurry! I heard tonight is a full moon!” she grabbed his hand as she sprinted to get their way to Union Square.

 

 

- - - -

 

 

“Wow... This place is so beautiful at night...” she said in awe as she stared at the beautiful scenery.

 

 

The boy nodded as he turned around to look at the trees, and smiled. He wanted the time to go around the city, but never got the chance to because of work and his situation involving Hea Woo.

 

 

He wondered if making her remember him was worth the wait because he was becoming impatient. Sunggyu contemplated about just giving up and giving himself a new mission: just make her fall in love with him. Although, it would kill him when he would ask, 'Do you remember the time...” when she never would be able to remember.

 

 

The next thing that happened, was something he never expected.

 

 

“Hyung...?” a familiar voice called out, “Sunggyu hyung!”

 

 

Sunggyu looked towards where the voice came from, and it was no other than Woohyun and his fiancée, Min Hee, who were in the city to continue planning.

 

 

He was surprised because he totally forgot about them coming. The only thing on his mind was how he was going to say to Hea Woo that his best friend is one of her clients. He just hopes she believes that it's only a coincidence.

 

 

The couple walked up them, “Hey Sunggyu. It's nice to run into you here.” Min Hee greeted as she smiled at him.

 

 

You have any luck yet?” Woohyun asked him, which made his fiancée hit his shoulder.

 

 

“Shut it...” Sunggyu sighed.

 

 

Hea Woo turned around and noticed the two, “Oh. Woohyun-ssi, Min Hee-ssi, hello! You two know Sunggyu?”

 

 

Min Hee looked at each other before looking back at her, “Uh, yeah... We're really good friends with Sunggyu.” Woohyun told her.

 

 

“Yeah, we've known him for years already.” Min Hee added on.

 

 

Hea Woo smiled, “Ah, I see. I expect him to be in your wedding then, since he's a really good friend?”

 

 

The both of them nodded, “Of course, we would never forget about this guy especially.” Woohyun commented giving a small smile to Hea Woo, and then towards his best friend.

 

 

- - - -

 

 

“That's great! We're almost done Only a month until the big day comes, I'm sure you're both excited.” Hea Woo exclaimed joyfully as she closed a binder full of wedding ideas.

 

 

“We sure are.” Min Hee replied with a smile, “We're so sorry we planned on your day off, it was just a coincidence to see you with this guy.”

 

 

The other girl nodded, “It's not a problem, don't worry. I'm glad to help and make your wedding perfect.”

 

 

Sunggyu looked at her then at his watch, “Oh my, it's eleven already. Why don't the engaged couple just finish eating dinner, and I'll walk Hea Woo-ah home. I'll call you two tomorrow, alright?”

 

 

Woohyun nodded, “Yeah, of course. Have a good night, Sunggyu hyung, and you too, Hea Woo-ssi.” he seemed uncomfortable using honorfics on a old friend of his.

 

 

Hea Woo smiled, “You too, Woohyun-ssi, Min Hee-ssi. I'll see you on Tuesday to visit the venue you both agreed on. Good night.”

 

 

Both Sunggyu and Hea Woo walked out of the restaurant and began making their way home. It was cold, dark, and the streets were full of couples.

 

 

Hea Woo glanced at them all, holding hands, girls clinging onto their man's arm because it was freezing, seeing them laughing with small pecks on the lips.

 

 

She looked unhappy, very unhappy.

 

 

Sunggyu was able to catch that, “Hey, Hea Woo-ah, you alright?”

 

 

“I'm so envious of happy couples...”

 


It's been over two months since I updated this, and don't think I forgot this! Writers Block with this story is so... annoying. I decided to not write this story until I found inspiration, and it's slowly coming to me, so I'm updating now, and I hope to update more frequently. Although Finals are coming up soon (kill me pls), I'll still try my hardest to update for you all. Comments make my day. :) Love you guys.