Chapter Two

The Feisty Bride

 

2 That Stubborn Girl 
 

I glared at Chen discreetly as he perused his menu, flipping from page to page. My lips were drawn to a scowl and I peeked up from my menu to look at him. He furrowed his brow at all the choices, his eyes quickly moving up and down as he scanned the food names. I narrowed my eyes and just went back to the menu, wondering what to order. Do I want chicken tonight or do I want beef? I'm not paying for this, right?

I stared at the menu, confused and furrowed my brow even more when I heard Chen laughing, as he stared at me.

"What?" I grumbled, rolling my eyes and going back to look at the pages.

"Are you having a tough time ordering?" He asked.

"I might be, I might not be," I answered as I flipped back to the beginning.

"Why don't you just order what I'm having then?"

I glanced up and saw him smiling brightly at me, which annoyed me for some reason.

"What are you ordering then?" I mumbled, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Uh, the chicken cutlets and a salad," he answered with a smile.

"Maybe I'll get it then, who knows," I replied with a sigh as I searched through the items again.

"You must be indecisive," Chen said as he propped his elbows on the table.

"I might be."

"Are you a libra?"

"Am I?"

"Why do you always have to be so vague?" He mumbled, scrunching his nose. "And yes, I bet you are."

"Hm," I put the menu down to look at him. "What about you? Is your sign called biggest-dumb-idiot-ever?" Chen just laughed and grinned widely at me.

"It might be."

"When's your birthday?" I asked him, as I smoothened out my dress.

"September 21st, to be exact." He said proudly.

"And that is...?"

"Virgo," Chen explained and I nodded with an 'ah.' "What about you?"

"October 25th," I replied.

"So does that mean yes libra or no libra?" He asked.

"No libra." I answered, biting back a grin, and smiled like an idiot instead.

"What's the horoscope after libra then?"

"Scorpio."

Chen nodded and frowned at his wrong guess. "I was close," he declared proudly, and I just rolled my eyes at his ridiculous comment. Before I could answer, the waiter came by with a bottle of wine and took our orders. In the end, I just settled with a chicken salad and a chocolate cake for dessert. He took the orders quickly and bowed, excusing himself.

It was quiet between the two of us, and I just took the chance to stare at my phone, wondering if I got a call or a text from anyone, but it wasn't anything important, just reminders from Semi and Minju.

"Hey so can you cook?" Chen asked curiously.

I looked up at him and blinked, wondering what to say. Should I follow Semi's advice and say I can't cook or do anything? In the end, I just mumbled, "No. I can't even cook ramen."

Chen sputtered in surprise. "Seriously?! Not even ramen?! How do you live oh my gosh, poor baby, you were born unlucky, oh God, how do you even live?!"

"Uh, I, um, eat out?"

"Do you even have the money for that?!"

"I'm not poor!"

"Oh gosh, you need to learn how to cook, you can't go out and eat every night!" Chen frowned. "What else can't you do then? Please don't tell me you don't even know how to dress yourself."

"I can so dress myself! And it's not that bad. I mean, I can't really clean either, but it's cool." I wanted to laugh at him for believing me, but I had to keep a straight face, so that it wouldn't be obvious.

"Oh my God, seriously?" Chen's eyes bulged out and I bit the inside of my mouth, trying not to burst out laughing at him. This guy, oh my gosh.

"Yeah, like the last time I tried cleaning, I slipped on the wet ground and injured myself," I sighed.

"Oh gosh, it's a good thing I know how to do all of that then, ugh, what would you do without me?" He mumbled with pride and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You haven't even done anything for me yet, nerd." I retorted.

"Well, I'm going to start, seeing as you can't properly take care of yourself!" He declared and I wanted to groan loudly, and shove my face into my hands, but I saw the waiter approaching with our meals. Chen's chicken and salad was placed in front of him and my salad was brought to me gracefully.

"Would you like some pepper?" The waiter asked, as he brought out his shaker, and we both shook our heads. He nodded obediently and bowed, wishing us a good meal.

"Only a chicken salad? Are you dieting?" He grinned, staring at my bowl.

"Does it look like I am?" I rolled my eyes.

"Well if you're gonna be my future bride, then I would be really upset if you did." Chen stated with a frown, making me choke on my wine, the liquid burning my throat.

"Fu-future bride?!" I stuttered, surprised. "What the hell are you talking about?"

Chen just shot me a bright smile. "Well, I think you're really interesting and your mom set up this blind date so you could find a husband right?"

"I can find my own husband," I mumbled, picking at the green veggies with my fork.

"Yeah, but too bad because I already decided you're going to be my wife!" He declared firmly, shoving a forkful of lettuce in his mouth.

"I'm not even wife material, like I can't cook or clean," I insisted, furrowing my brow.

"I'll teach you," he answered simply, biting into a chicken cutlet.

"What if I'm unteachable?"

"I can teach you," he repeated, glancing up at me with a confident smile.

"You are so not becoming my husband." I muttered, stabbing at a tomato. Chen just chuckled as I placed it in my mouth. "What are you laughing about?"

"Well you never know, Hayoung, maybe I'll be your husband and you'll fall head over heels over me because I"m just so hot and great." He replied.

I stared at him for a moment, before firmly answering, "No way. Never."

"What, why not?"

"You're weird."

"Well, you're weirder, you can't even cook ramen! What are you, a caveman?" Chen whined, grumpily stuffing a piece of chicken in his mouth.

"No, no, no, no, no, I'm never ever marrying you." I shook my head and continued eating my salad.

"Well you're saying that now, but have you ever tried one of my grilled cheese sandwiches?"

"You're crazy."

"You're crazy for not knowing how glorious grilled cheese actually is, child."

"Did you just call me a child?" I stared at Chen in surprise.

"That's not important. What's important are my grilled cheese sandwiches!" He said.

"Are your grilled cheese sandwiches really that good?" I mumbled, uninterestedly.

"No, but they're still grilled cheese sandwiches and everyone loves grilled cheese sandwiches. They're like the pizza version of sandwiches."

"What does that even mean, idiot?"

"It means that if you don't like grilled cheese sandwiches, then you're a weirdo." He explained.

"You should marry a grilled cheese sandwich instead of me then," I replied.

"No way! You're way cooller than a grilled cheese sandwich! Besides, anyone can have a grilled cheese sandwich, but how many people can have you?" Chen smiled pleasantly, making me want to barf at his greasy line.

"You make me sick," I pretended to gag and he chuckled.

"It's cool, I can always take care of you when you're sick." He replied.

"Are you always this gross?" I scrunched my nose.

"Only with you," Chen laughed. "Just kidding, I don't talk to many girls, so I don't actually get the chance to be this cheesy and gross. But I mean, since you're reacting so nicely to it, I should keep on doing it?"

"No, please don't, I will kick your out of Korea." I shook my head and groaned.

"Have fun trying to do that, I don't think you'll be able to kick me out of this restaurant right now though." He grinned nonchalantly, making me want to strangle him.

"How do you know," I muttered under my breath, not expecting him to have heard me. Chen just smiled as he chewed his food, and I picked at a piece of chicken before stabbing at it and shoving it in my mouth.

"You're eating like a caveman right now," Chen pointed out and I froze, debating on whether or not I should stab him with my fork or not.

"I am not!" I defended, glaring at him.

"Whatever you say," he rolled his eyes and finished the rest of his meal, before adding,"you eat really slow though."

"Only because you're here." I mumbled.

"Cool, that means I get more time to talk to you," he replied and I gulped, quickly shoving more and more veggies into my mouth. Chen just stared at me, amused, as he watched me finish my bowl of salad, and whined when I eventually emptied it. "I wanted to talk to you more though! You're so cruel."

"You're cruel for saying that I'm going to be your future wife, when clearly, I'm not." I answered and he just shrugged, beaming.

"Who knows, maybe you'll change your mind and you'll be like, 'oh my gosh Chen is so hot!'" He replied, attempting to speak in a high pitched voice, which made his voice crack. I tried suppressing my laughter, but it failed as I covered my mouth in embarrassment and trembled.

"You give me so much second hand embarrassment," I whined, as soon as I got myself collected together. He frowned and pouted as he paid the check.

"At least I'm actually cool!" He insisted, as the waiter came by to collect the bill. He just shot Chen a weird look and I wanted to bury my face in my hands.

"Sure, whatever you say," I replied, rolling my eyes. "Anyways, the most important thing right now--"

"Is obviously us getting together again," Chen interjected and I stared at him.

"No, it's obviously the chocolate cake, ," I replied, pulling at the plate in right of me. It looked so glorious under the lighting and I couldn't wait to dig my fork into it. Right when I was about to eat it, I froze when I saw another fork stabbing into it. Looking up, I saw that Chen had stuck his fork into my cake and maybe in a regular girl's mentality, I should've been like "oh it's cool, he's helping me lose weight," but all I had in my mind was "I am going to stab him like how he stabbed my cake and I hope he suffers for the next ten years and I hope he never touches a cake in his life."

"Chen, I am never ever marrying you and that's final!" I declared, and he dropped his fork on the table in surprise.

"What?!" He whined, and I spent the whole night pushing him off of me. There is no way I'm going to marry this food stealer!

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
ayyyy thanks for reading! ahh at least i updated faster than the last chapter haha i hope you like it! (honestly i hate this chapter too, ugh, but whatever it's cool i guess)