Chapter Eight

The Feisty Bride
8 That Pleading Girl 
 

"You have to-"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"No."

"I've been asking you this the whole day, please-"

"No."

"Why are you being so difficult? It's just a-"

"No."

"Come on... please?" I groaned reluctantly, even daring to add the magic word that I usually never say.

"No."

I let out a huge sigh as Jongdae huffed stubbornly, crossing his arms across his chest, annoyed. What were we doing? Well that's a good question. I was wasting my time arguing with his determined about going on a group date with Park Chanyeol and his colleagues, but the loser refused to go, once he heard the name 'Park Chanyeol.'

"It's not going to be that bad." I reasoned and he just shook his head firmly.

"I'm not going."

"It'll be fun."

"No."

"Give me one good reason why you shouldn't go."

"I don't like pork chops."

"That's not a good reason," I argued, rolling my eyes with stupidity, "and his name is Park Chanyeol, not pork chop. He's so nice, why do you have to be so mean about him!"

"I don't like him." Jongdae refused adamantly.

"Kim Jongdae, I already said please and you know that I never say it. You're seriously something else," I muttered, finally giving up. Jeez, you can't expect so much from a person like him. He let himself into my house by his own accord, that stupid idiot. How can one person be so annoying! Someone like him deserves a whack in the face, seriously. "I'm going to change, so don't you dare try to peek!"

"I'll try not to," he smirked, making me roll my eyes.

I made my way to my closet and flipped on the lights, staring at my line of dresses. Should I go for something cute or something flattering? Am I made to impress today or was I made to be a sugar plum princess? I sighed as I through the hangers, staring at every dress with a indecisive stare.

"I like that one."

I jumped at the voice and turned my head to scowl at Jongdae, who was pointing to a floral printed sleeveless dress tenaciously. "What are you doing?" I hissed harshly, pulling the dress off its hanger. "I can pick my own dresses, you know." He leaned against the door frame and raised a brow questioningly.

"I'm just offering my opinion," he answered simply and watched as I my heels, facing him. "Yes?"

"Can you leave me alone so I can change?" I mumbled shyly with red cheeks donning my face.

"You're cute," he chuckled and walked out of the room obediently and I poked my head out to make sure he was really out. Shutting the door, I quickly undressed and threw on the dress sloppily, before tugging at it to fix it. Seeing that it was still hot outside, I didn't bother to pick out a cardigan and just picked out one of my black purses to take. I stepped out of the closet and shut the door, before going into the bathroom to work on my hair. Straight or curly? I asked that question many times, staring at my face in the mirror. In the end, I just decided on loose curls and the iron.

"Are you done?" Jongdae called out impatiently, knocking tediously at the door.

"Of course not."

"I'm coming in!"

"If you do, I'll hit you with an iron."

"Alright." He answered and there was a pause until the door flung open and he stepped into the bathroom with me. He settled on the edge of the bathtub and watched me like a puppy. I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously, but went back to minding my own business. After what felt like forever, the curler had heated up and I rubbed on some heat protector before starting to wrap locks of hair on the metal application.

Jongdae stared curiously as he observed me fixing my hair and neither of us spoke a word. I wasn't sure if I felt awkward or pleased with his attention, so I just fumbled with my hair and tried to finish up my loose curls as fast as I could.

"You look so cute," he beamed when I finally accomplished curling the last strand.

"Thanks," I replied shyly, turning off the iron. "So does that mean you're coming?"

Jongdae gave me a reluctant grimace, but nodded. "If you're going to look that cute, how could I not? I have to let everyone know that you're mine! Mine!"

"Okay I take it back, don't come." I deadpanned and he yelped a series of 'no's loudly.

"I have to go! What if one of them hits on you?! I can't let my future wife be taken away by some homewrecker!" He complained determinedly. "If someone dares to hit on you on my watch, I'll destroy them!"

"I never said I was going to be your future wife!" I argued.

"Of course you weren't because I was the one talking a moment ago!" He retorted. I groaned at his stupidity and sent a distasteful glare at him.

"Don't scare them off!"

"Only if they promise to not go for my girl..." he muttered lowly and I sighed.

"They won't." I reassured, but he didn't look so convinced at that.

"They better not," he muttered lowly, although loud enough to catch. I nodded he kept blabbering on and on about something, while fixing my eyeliner. "Are you even listening to me?!"

"Yes of course," I answered uninterestedly and he let out a huge huff.

"Anyways, in case you didn't catch it," Jongdae sent me a sideways glare before continuing, "if I don't like this date, you have to take to on another one. Just the two of us."

"Why do I have to do that?"

"I'm being forced onto a dumb group event with stupid pork chops."

"You're not being forced." I corrected, retouching my blush.

"Yes I am. The duty of an engaged man is hard."

"You're not engaged."

Jongdae groaned loudly, but smoothened his white dress shirt nicely. "Don't I look good today?" He said, praising himself as he stared at his reflection in the mirror. I feigned a barf and he stared at me in mock hurt.

"How can you barf at me? I'm practically a god when it comes to handsomeness. I'm the male version of Aphrodite." He joked snidely, pointing his nose high in the air.

"Right and I'm a trash can that can talk," I mumbled, placing my makeup in a tiny pouch and putting it in my beige purse. "You're seriously ridiculous."

"It's cute huh?" He grinned widely and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah sure."



We shortly arrived at the restaurant that Chanyeol had made reservations to and Jongdae's eyes gleamed with delight as he saw that there was a bar inside. "I don't think so," I muttered, taking his hand and dragging him to the largest table, where the group was seated. "You're driving tonight and I don't really feel like dying."

"Fine, fine," he sighed, and waved somberly to the bottles. "We'll meet next time, my loves." I giggled at his silly goodbye to the drinks and greeted Chanyeol, who sat next to a tiny girl that looked like a 14 year old with makeup on.

"Hi Chanyeol!"

"Ah hello Hayoung!" He shook my hand firmly. "Please sit!"

"Thank you. This is Kim Jongdae, by the way," I gestured to the idiot standing next to me. "Chanyeol."

"Hello Jongdae-shi." Chanyeol nodded warmly and Jongdae returned the greeting. "This is Yoon Narae, my date."

"Hello!" The girl next to him waved and I smiled back. Jongdae and I both greeted the whole table and I was shocked to see my co-worker, Minju, sitting next to a guy with freakishly girly hands.

"Unni! This is the boyfriend I've been talking to you about! The one that wanted my uh, sports bra-"

"Don't say it out loud! It's embarrassing!" Her boyfriend protested and Minju shot a glare at him, making him pipe down.

"Anyways, this is my boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun." She sighed, shaking her head in disappointment.

"Yah, why do you have to shake your head like that!" He gaped and she rolled her eyes.

"Ah hello Baekhyun-shi," I acknowledged. "This is Kim Jongdae and I am Kim Hayoung."

We all shook hands with each other and I settled down at an empty seat, next to Jongdae. He picked up his menu first and stared questioningly at the foods on the list. I peeked inside the booklet to see what his confusion was all about, until I realized that all the food names were written in English and being the horrible English speaker I am, I could only sweat nervously about what I was going to order.

"Do you need help?" Jongdae asked with a small smile on his face, as if he knew I was bad at this and I just shook my head indignantly. "Are you sure?"

"Of course." I mumbled, pretending to scan the menu expertisely. What did I just get myself into? For the mean time, I just read the letters and tried deciphering what they meant. App...e...ti...jer? Is that what it says? What the heck is an appetijer...? I furrowed my brow slightly and read the next thing that was bolded. Pa...sta? Oh, that means pasta! Okay, I'll order a pasta, I like that. Well, I think I do. Am I reading this right? I assume so?

My eyes ran up and down the list of pastas as I tried to find one I was familiar with and grew even more puzzled with the names. Car...bon...ara? Uh? Seucampi? What are these items? I ignored the irritation growing in my chest because of not knowing what these were and sighed quietly.

"Are you sure you don't need help?" Jongdae offered again and I shook my head.

"No, I don't," I answered uninterestedly.

"What are you getting?" He asked, perusing the menu.

"Pasta, I think. You?"

"Chicken pilaf." Jongdae answered back in playful English and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle. What did he say? God, why didn't I pay attention in school instead of focusing on Kim Jongin's beautiful beautiful head?!

"Are you all ready to order?" The waiter asked and Chanyeol glanced over the whole table, before nodding. "What would you like?" The end of the table started calling out their orders and the waiter wrote it all down with a nod and when it came to me, I just pointed at the carbonara pasta firmly.

"Ah yes, the carbonara?" The waiter said and I nodded my head, watching him write it down on his notepad. "What about you sir?"

Jongdae gave a brief smile before saying, "One chicken pilaf please."

I wanted to choke him for being so good at English and even when the waiter had disappeared, I continued glaring at him resentfully. He was reading emails on his phone, but once he caught me glaring at him, he went along with it and glared back at me. We were having a very nice staring contest until he broke it by talking.

"Yes, cutie?"

I rolled my eyes at his dumb nickname for me and muttered, "Nothing."

"Okay. By the way, I didn't know you knew English." He commented smugly and I narrowed my eyes at his statement.

"I don't." I remarked sarcastically and he laughed, petting my head.

"I know."

"Then why didn't you say something to me?" I demanded, jutting out my lower lip.

"You said you didn't need my help, so I didn't." He pinched my cheek, making me pretend to gag. "Besides, I wanted to see you beg for my help."

"You're funny," I snorted, turning my head away from him.

"I know, now get over here." Jongdae grinned and then slung his arm around my shoulder carefreely. I flicked my fingers at his palm and mumbled, "Who said you could do that?"

"Who said I couldn't?"

"I did."

"No you didn't."

"Yes I did."

"Nope."

"Yeah."

We bickered on and on, ignoring the fact that the whole table was chattering amongst each other and we were the only ones not participating in the talk. "Aw, you guys are love doves!" Minju suddenly commented, staring at us brightly and then staring back at Baekhyun in disgust as he scarfed down his food. "You guys seem to be so close."

"Yeah, I guess you could say that," Jongdae laughed, scratching his head shyly.

"I wish my boyfriend would put his arm over me," she said, eyeing Baekhyun who was still not paying attention to anything else but his plate of steak and fries. Minju let out a huge sigh and sent us a jealous smile, before hissing at Baekhyun to wipe his dirty mouth. My eyes blinked from her and Baekhyun to subtly eyeing Jongdae. He was smiling widely, showing off the dimples that he always hid out of insecurity. His eyes turned to cresents and I traced his jawline with an imaginary pencil, admiring how definited it was. Before he could catch me staring, I turned away and joined a conversation that Chanyeol and some others were having about his new clothing shop.

"And my account manager is Hayoung herself! Isn't that cool? She's such a good one too," he praised and began naming off a list of things I do and I laughed it off sheepishly.

"It's nothing, really. Afterall, it's my job to maintain relationships, so how could I not do a good job?" I answered honestly, but Chanyeol shook his hand in protest.

"That doesn't matter! You're so good," he complimented with a bright smile.

"Thank you," I smiled back bashfully.

Our food had finally arrived and dug into my carbonara, which was surprisingly really good. We spent the whole night talking and eating. It had already become really late when we finished and even though I insisted to pay for my own bill, Jongdae refused and paid for both of our meals, making me want to throw a punch or two.

"You never let me pay. I feel bad that you have to foot the both of our meals," I complained and he just pinched my nose teasingly.

"Why do you care about the bill so much? Do you have a crush on me?" He joked and I sent him a glare.

"Of course not. Why would I have one on an idiot like you?" I mumbled and he rolled his eyes, handing the waiter his credit card.

"I think you're talking about the wrong person because I'm not an idiot. I'm the male version of Aphrodite, remember?" Jongdae replied haughtily and I just elbowed him for his cocky comment.

"Don't bite off more than you can chew," I advised and he laughed, sighing a receipt and handing it back to the waiter.

"Thank you and have a good night!"

The two of us left the building and I got into the car tiredly. "It's late."

"Yeah it is," Jongdae agreed, turning on the radio to pop like he usually does. "You don't have work tomorrow right?"

"Nope." I sighed out a breath of relief. A whole week of working had gotten me exhausted and I was so ready to sleep in tomorrow. "You don't either right?"

"No."

He sounded like he was going to say more, so I sat there quietly, waiting for his comment, but it didn't seem like he was going to say anything after all. I watched the road and noticed that it wasn't exactly the path to go home, so I furrowed my brows in confusion. "Where are you going?" I asked.

"You'll see."

"It better not be dumb," I mumbled and he just laughed.

"I promise it won't be dumb."

"Why can't you just take me home so I can wind down and go to sleep and wake up late?" I groaned loudly.

"Because the dinner was boring and you told me we could go on another date if I didn't like it - and I didn't. You said that that pork chops kid was cute, but there was nothing cute about him and he's dating a girl that looks like she could be in middle school. Are you into es?" He ranted and I sent him a glare.

"You're just biased. He's not that bad!"

"Whatever," Jongdae mumbled, as he used one hand to fix his tie. "But we're definitely going on a late night date right now. I don't want to go to sleep after seeing pork chops."

"Park Chanyeol," I corrected.

"Don't say his name in my beautiful car."

"Park Chanyeol," I repeated, "now where are we going?"

"I told you. You'll see. Now shush," he instructed and I groaned.

"What the heck, why do I have to shush? Are you my mom?"

"Well I'm not telling you where we're going still," Jongdae retorted and I rolled my eyes.

"Alrighty then."

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
it took me a while with this chapter bc honestly idk where i'm going with this rn so otl LOL forgive ur lame author. i'm planning it as i go along, so i'll try to be better next time HAHA.