Chapter Nine

The Feisty Bride
9 That Worn Out Girl 
 

"Oh it's this place again," I commented, as I got out of the car and saw the familiar coffee shop in front of me. "It's still open?"

"Minseok has no limits when it comes to his coffee shop," Jongdae shrugged as he locked the car. "He's probably working right now and he'll probably end up being the one to lock up the shop tonight too. That boy is a workaholic when it comes to this place. It's practically his baby."

"He should get some rest, at least," I mumbled, concerned for the babyfaced man.

"Like I can convince him," Jongdae sighed disappointingly. We walked inside and there he was - Minseok - and he was washing cups, as one other employee stood next to him, looking somewhat bored. Even though it was late, there were still people crowding the cafe, making me narrow my eyes in displeasure.

"Jongdae! Hayoung? You guys are back!" Minseok called happily, raising a towel to wave at us.

"Hello. And yes it's Hayoung." I greeted, acknowledging him.

"Oh, good thing I got it right then. By the way, this is my employee, Luhan. He came straight from China, but he's a hard worker." He introduced, nodding with a wide grin. We waved at the male and he smiled sheepishly, raising a hand timidly to wave back at us. "So what do you guys want to order?"

Jongdae asked for a caramel macchiato and I ordered an iced americano. Luhan took our money politely and gave us the proper change, before going off to start making drinks. We sat down at the nearest empty table and I sighed tiredly as I flopped on the table. Jongdae raised his eyebrow and chuckled, before running his fingers through my hair.

"Who said you could do that?" I mumbled, stifling a yawn.

"Who said I couldn't do that?" He replied quirkily and I rolled my eyes.

"Your hair is really long." He commented after being silent for a second.

"Yeah, I was planning on getting a haircut soon."

"How short are you going to cut it?"

"I'm going bald."

There was silence between us, until I burst out laughing. Jongdae stared at me in shock and groaned, "You'd look so ugly bald! Don't do it if you love yourself!"

"I'm not going to go bald, but thanks for the reassurance!" I grumbled grouchily, and leaned back in my chair.

"I was kidding, you know?"

"Uh huh."

"Really."

"Uh huh."

"Do you believe me?"

"Mhm."

"Hayoung!"

"Mhm?"

"Jeez, you're rough," he mumbled, sighing. "I'm too weak for you."

"I guess you shouldn't marry me then?" I suggested and his eyes widened.

"How can you even suggest that! I'm obviously going to marry you, no matter how long it takes, okay? Just make sure that you're ready for a husband like me!" He declared and I stared at him, not taking his statement seriously. Before I could say anything, Minseok delivered the drinks to us and grinned, "Hello! Here is your order!"

We both thanked him and he smiled, before going back to tending to the dishes. Luhan was leaning back on the counter, chatting animatedly about something to Minseok, who only chuckled and gave a small reply. I watched the two converse and heard Jongdae grumble, "Hey, pay attention to me. Do you have a crush on Luhan or something?"

"What if I did?" I teased, turning back to stare at him, a playful twinkle in my eyes. He stared back at me challengingly, but shrugged carelessly.

"I don't think you would. Afterall, how could you have a crush on him when you have me?"

"You're so cocky, why do I even talk to you?" I frowned, taking a sip of my Americano.

"Because you looove me," he said, emphasizing the 'love.'

"You wish," I scoffed and Jongdae laughed.

"Why do I have to wish when you already do looove me?"

"I'm done talking to you," I mumbled, turning my head away.

"No, Hayoung!" He whimpered. "Don't do this to meeee!"

I continued to ignore him and he jutted out his lower lip, trying his best puppy dog face on me. "Kim! Ha! Young! Talk to me-e-e!" He whined in a singsongy voice. "Ha! Young! Ie!"

"Jeez you're so annoying," I sighed, turning back to face him and take another sip of coffee.

"Hmph, you're mean late at night." Jongdae commented, letting out a huge yawn.

"At least cover your face, you look like a monster when you yawn," I crinkled my nose at him, disgusted. "Anyways, are you working tomorrow?"

"Why, do you want to go on a date?" He grinned smugly, reaching forward to drink his macchiato. "I think it'll be great to say that no I am not working tomorrow! Where do you want to go?"

"Uh, I'd hate to be a downer, but I'm asking because I don't want to see you tomorrow," I teased, ruffling his hair playfully, chortling at his disappointed face.

"Why not? I haven't even seen you for a while!" He complained, pulling out the puppy face card. I had to admit, he looked a little bit cute doing that, but I refused to be wavered by it.

"No! I'm busy tomorrow. And you have been with me for a long time today!" I remarked, but it still didn't suffice for him; he played out his puppy dog face a little more, before quitting with a grumble of disappointment.

"You are strong against the puppy face," he stared at me in feigned shock and despair and I laughed.

"I laugh in the face of danger," I placed my chin on top of my hands as I recalled the famous quote from the Lion King and Jongdae just rolled his eyes ridiculously.

"Mhm."

As we finished our drinks, I downed in the homely atmosphere of the cafe. Soft music echoed throughout the medium sized room and there was a warm ambience as people chattered quietly among themselves. The scent of bitter coffee beans being roasted made me stare down at my americano happily, before taking a big gulp of it. Despite the caffiene surging through my body, I felt older than I had ever before; I had more on my plate to deal with anyways. There was work, my worries about my mom and Sehun, and now Jongdae was added into the patch.

My eyes unconsciously flirted up to stare at him inconspiciously, watching him scroll through his phone, while delicately sipping his macchiato at frequent intervals. As I watched him (stalkerishly), I noticed how tired he was looking too. It was probably because it was late and he was pretty active at the party too. Small bags were starting to form under his eyes, and I accidentally blurted out, "Have you been getting enough sleep?"

Jongdae stared up in surprise, before a sleepy smirk grew on his face. "Why? Do I look like one of those y models that always look sleepy in their pictorials?" I gave him a look, before he laughed, "Just kidding. And eh, I've been sleeping a little less than usual because I've had things to do in the office."

I recalled that he worked as a manager of a nerd firm or something and narrowed my eyes at him. "I bet it's because you're so slow that you have to stay after," I joked and Jongdae sent a scathing glare at me, pursing his lips.

"You're weird," he declared. "One moment you're strangely nice and the next you insult me. I don't know what to believe. Are you the mean and snarky Hayoung I know? Or are you an imposter?"

"Will you stop being an idiot and finish your stupid macchiato," I hissed and he nodded firmly.

"Yep. You're truly my beautiful, snappy Hayoungie," he said and I could only retch at his disgusting nickname for me. Hayoungie? Uh, no thank you. "Okay, I guess not Hayoungie." He corrected as he saw me crinkling my nose. Jongdae gulped out the rest of his coffee and I did the same, before returning the cups back to Minseok.

"You guys are leaving? Ah, it's really late anyways," he nodded as he turned to stare at the clock behind him. Turning back, he flahed a bright smile and added, "Drive safely. Don't fall asleep at the wheel."

Jongdae chuckled and nodded obediently, "Of course I won't. I have to keep Hayoung safe."

We shuffled out as Luhan and Minseok both waved goodbye, and I groaned as I felt the summer heat; it was night, but the air was still hot and humid, making my dress stick to my skin unpleasantly. "I can't wait for fall," I breathed out with a sigh. Jongdae sent me a sympathetic look and slung his arm over my shoulder; it was too hot for that, but I was too tired to smack it off, so I let it rest, at the stake of me dying dramatically from the warm air that should not exist during the summer.

We got inside the car and Jongdae started it without a word. The only sounds were us putting on seatbelts, the engine roaring to a start, and the radio buzzing from static to some music as Jongdae fiddled with the button, turning it backwards and forwards to find the perfect station. He finally stopped at one that was playing some boy group song, and he lazily pulled out of the parking lot, finding it easy because there were really no cars around at this time except for a few.

"Ugh, I'm so glad I don't have work tomorrow," I groaned tiredly, placing my head on the curve of the door.

"I feel ya," he mumbled, his words starting to slur.

"Uh, are you sure you're okay?" I looked up at him and he nodded.

"Of course I am. I might look tired, but Kim Jongdae isn't a pro with cars for nothin'," he replied.

"Mm, okay then," I answered back, but occasionally peeked at him and saw that the could fall asleep at the wheel. "Are you sure you don't want me to drive?"

"I'm fine. Besides, we're almost to your house."

"What if you fall asleep driving yourself home?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"Uh, you see..." he trailed off surreptitiously.

"Yes...?" I narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

"I don't think I'm going home tonight!" Jongdae declared happily and my eyes almost shot out of my head from shock.

"Huh?"

"I'm staying at your house!"

"But-"

"But didn't you say that I looked tired?" He interrupted unceremoniously.

"I never said that." I said firmly, standing my ground.

"You implied it."

"That doesn't mean I'm going to let you stay in my house! Besides, I have no guy's clothes! Are you going to wear that to sleep?" I crinkled my nose as I pointed to his stuffy looking dress shirt, tucked neatly into his dress pants. He looked uncomfortable as his belt hugged his hips, but sighed.

"It can't be helped if you don't have any clothes for me," he frowned. "And I don't really want to wear a dress to sleep."

"Hey, who said I was going to put you in a dress?" I retorted accusingly.

"Well I can't see you putting me in your jeans," Jongdae responded accordingly and I had no comeback for that; he wouldn't even be able to fit his ankles in my jeans. "I don't think you'll be pleased to see me walking around your house in only boxers either, but you know, I wouldn't mind."

I gagged at his grossness, before sighing. "I didn't agree to you staying over."

"Well you're not saying that I should go home?" He shrugged.

"Go sleep with your momma, not me," I retorted and he didn't respond, so I just continued on, "Anyways, I guess I could afford to have you sleep over. Only tonight though! And you better not try to sneak into my room."

"You are making an assumption that I would try to sneak into your room," he answered, turning into my neighborhood. "Anyways, it's not like you'd stop me. I've been told that I'm the best body warmer ever."

"Told by who? Your grandma?"

"Hey! Do you think I've never had girlfriends before?"

"Are you sure they weren't forced to date you..." I stared at him, getting queasy with the thought of an actual girl dating this... ugh. "They were probably paid to date you. I can't see it any other way."

"Thanks for being so supportive," Jongdae knocked my head with his knuckles gently, before ruffling his hand through my hair messily. "and no, she didn't get paid to date me. She actually liked this, but I don't see who wouldn't. Anyways, I don't think you're complaining about being mine."

"First of all, I'm not yours, I never agreed to that," I clarified loudly, but it didn't look like he cared or was listening to me dispute about how I wasn't going to marry him. "And secondly, if she liked this so much," I paused to stare up and down at him in slight disgust. "I don't think she would break up with you."

"Hey, that kimchi jjigae boy dated you or something. If he liked you that much, I don't think he would break up with you." Jongdae responded calmly and I rolled my eyes.

"Well it's too bad that he didn't, isn't it?" I muttered defensively, as I saw my house come into view. He parked on the driveway and we got out. I walked towards the front door to unlock it while Jongdae locked his car and stepped inside the dark building happily. Cold air welcomed my arrival and I lazily plucked my shoes off, tossing them somewhere random and felt the wood floor underneath my sore feet. I was dragged to the couch by a mystic force and fell on it, stretching with joy.

"I'll see myself to the guest room then," Jongdae sighed as he walked in and saw my outstretched figure sitting on the couch. He pulled at his tie and tugged it off, laying it across the table in front of me. I heaved myself up, and slurred out something that sounded like, "Here."

Jongdae followed me across the small house and walked inside the guest room, surveying it. "Not too shabby," he nodded approvingly at me.

"Do you think I have bad taste?" I joked. "Anyways, you know where everything is, so don't get lost."

"Be sure to put an extra toothbrush for me in the bathroom," he reminded and I rolled my eyes.

"How could I forget," I yawned and made my way to the bathroom and crouched down to open the cabinets and search for a toothbrush he could use. I grabbed the first one in the box, which was a pink one. Hope he likes pink. Making my way back to my room, I pulled off my dress and slipped on a white dress t-shirt with light blue shorts underneath. I did the usual routine: brush my teeth, wipe off my makeup, wash my face; you know, that whole biz.

It was probably a little bit past two when I dived under the safe covers of my baby blue blanket. My eyes were about to shut, when my phone rang off unceremoniously. I plucked it from my bedside table and stared at the caller ID, before seeing it was Sehun. That was unusual; he was never one to call me first willingly since he's always busy studying, or at least that's what he says he's doing. Snapping out of my thoughts, my fingers rapidly went to click the accept button and I gasped, "Sehun! What are you doing calling me so late? God, I could've been sleeping, you know."

"Judging by that, you're not sleeping," Sehun answered matter-of-factly, making me want to bash his face into the wall.

"Yes, Detective Conan, I'm not asleep. What's up?" I sighed.

"I just wanted to say..." he trailed off, making me feel a bit nervous for what he was about to say.

"Yeah?"

"Wait for it," Okay, this totally meant he was going to say something not serious at all. "I'm going to visit you soon! It's me and mom, and we're gonna visit you for a while!"

My face scrunched up into confusion. "What? Don't you have school?"

"Aren't you happy? Jeez, you act like you don't want to see me. Is this how it is?" He wailed loudly and I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up before you wake up mom," I replied back into the phone. "And well, I don't want you to miss school. That stuff's expensive, ya know?" I could feel Sehun pursing his lips through the phone.

"Yeah of course I know," he mumbled sassily. "I pay for it in the end anyways. And that's not the case. I'm on summer break right now! Did you forget?"

"Oh, so that means you're too busy playing League to call me?" I laughed teasingly.

"Uh... sorry." Sehun mumbled bashfully. I could just picture him turning red right now. "If it makes you feel better," he added, "I won lots of the games."

"Mhm." I nodded to myself and groaned.

"It's true! Anyways, mom and I are coming in a few days, so please wait for the hottest boy alive's arrival." He laughed confidently and I could only stifle a laugh as I muttered a 'yeah okay, Kim Jongin.' "Oh, by the way, noona. Mom's been talking so much about that fiance of yours or something. Are you gonna, you know... introduce me?"

Judging by the way he was talking, he was probably smirking on the other end, just waiting to spill all of my embarrassing moments and dirty secrets. "I don't have a fiance!" I answered indignantly, but Sehun wouldn't take any of it.

"Yeah okay then, I'll be looking forward to seeing you and him," He added emphasis on the last few words and I groaned. Mental note: I have to keep Jongdae out of my house while they're here. "But I gotta go, it's late! Good night noona! I'll see you in a few days and you'll see how cute I've gotten!"

"Right, of course. A sight of the century. I'll see ya then."

"Buh bye," Sehun's voice answered and I heard a click signalling that he had hung up. Sighing, I stared at my screen and put my phone away, settling into bed, thinking about how they were about to come and how I had to tidy up my house and go grocery shopping. Mental note: Grocery shop tomorrow because your life depends on it. Before I could go to sleep, there was a knock at my door and I tensed. Jongdae?

"Yes?" I called out, half groggy and half annoyed. I opened one eye slightly and saw him opening the door to reveal his figure. It was dark and he was hugging a pillow tightly, so I could only see a faint outline of him. Jongdae didn't say anything, but instead walked inside and crawled onto my bed. "Hey, I didn't say you could get on. Didn't I tell you not to come in?" I mumbled tiredly, hoping that I sounded sleepy enough to make him get out.

"It was boring in the guest room," he reasoned and I sighed. Jongdae, more like Jongbaby. He acted like a total baby and I wasn't sure if he was just clingy at night or if he was just drunk on something. He climbed under the covers and tossed the pillow over the sheets, making it hit my feet. "Hey!"

"Sorry," he mumbled quietly and made himself comfortable.

"I hope you're not-" I got interrupted by his arms wrapping around me and I squealed as I felt his abs and everything poking at my back. "Jongdae, you're !"

"I'm wearing boxers," he corrected, tightening his hold on me.

"Jongdae, you're almost ! Get out!" I thrashed in bed, but he wouldn't let go, so I quit with a long sigh. This kid... But it was true, he was a pretty good body warmer. Reluctantly, I just got comfortable in his hold and shut my eyes; afterall, Jongdae was clingy and I didn't especially mind. It was warm and that's all that matters... I think.

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
hi guys! i'm posting a little update because i'll be gone in a few days to go on vacation and i probably won't be back until the 22nd, but i'll try to update sooner! hopefully you guys like this chapter hehe ^^ BTW SMALL XIUHAN INTERACTION AT THE CAFE COUGH COUGH. but sehunnie will be making his real life appearance soon hooray! (heart eye emojis) LOLJK but have a good day!!