Chapter Eleven

The Feisty Bride
11 That Shocked Girl 
 

"Whoa... this is so... I'm so... this is such a shock!" I stammered out, my thoughts all in a jumbled mess. I haven't seen Jongin in years, and the very fact that he's only gotten more attractive since then has made me wonder if the same fate was gifted upon me as well. He was absolutely drop dead handsome, but there was no way in hell I would have feelings for him again. Despite that, the mere fact that he was in front of me right now has just left me in such a daze, I wanted to slap myself.

"I know right!" Jongin chuckled, snapping me out of my daydream. "This is so coincidental, I didn't think I'd ever meet you again after our break up. How have you been? You've gotten prettier than from the last time I've seen you!"

"Oh thank you," I replied, scratching the nape of my neck awkwardly. "I've been good. How about you? Have you managed to find someone as cute as me?" My heart palpitated nervously as I , wondering if I was overdoing it.

"Haha I've dated a few girls, but they've never left an impression on me the way you did!" Jongin grinned. "But I would like to ask you the same thing. Have you found yourself a good guy yet? Well, actually, a person as great as you probably got married already huh?"

"Oh no, I'm not married," I laughed, pushing the thought of Jongdae away. Really, what was he to me? He isn't really my boyfriend, and definitely not my husband, but it's clear that he's not exactly a friend either, but I also don't hold romantic feelings for him either, so there's that - ugh, it was just a mess.

"Wow, that's a surprise. Well, I'm supposed to be getting a meeting started right now, but if you'd like, would you like to go to dinner with me after this? My treat, since I broke up with you all those years ago." Jongin offered, a playful glint in his eyes. I stared at him, contemplating his offer. Should I even go? I mean, Jongdae was supposed to be coming over, and I wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea, but it'd be good to catch up with Jongin, and plus, what even was Jongdae to me? He's not my boyfriend, and I certainly don't have romatic feelings for him, so this shouldn't be a problem right? It really shouldn't, but how come I feel reluctant to accept Jongin's offer?

Pushing away my thoughts and hesitation, I gulped and replied, "Sure, why not?"

"Okay cool! I know a good restaurant that's close to here. It'll be fun," he grinned.

"Right." I answered, feeling a small smile form on my lips, getting right into the meeting.

It ended a little bit after eight, but that was alright, since there was a lot to talk about in terms of his business and how he was going to maintain the relationship with the K&J Group, and to my surprise, Kim Jongin was a much more levelheaded businessman than I had originally thought.

"Well, of course I would supply my resources to the K&J Group, but I would like a few things in return, which are stated in the third paragraph of this packet I have here for you." Jongin said, pushing a folder with a rather small packet inside it. "Just read through this and have a go with your manager, and then get back to me on it! I look forward to hearing his answer. Anyways, I think it's time for you to stop working and for us to grab some dinner, shall we?"

"You're straight to the point, aren't you?"

"Oh please, Hayoung, we've dated before! I'm not going to sugarcoat anything, you're too frank for me too," Jongin laughed, and I rolled my eyes.

"Even after so many years of not talking to me, you still remember me well," I muttered, shoving the folder into my cabinet. "It makes me realize how little I've changed."

Glancing over at my phone, I realized that Jongdae hasn't sent me any messages pertaining to how he was going to come over, so I assumed he wasn't, and after a moment of bantering with myself as to if I should message him and tell him I'm not coming directly home, I just decided that I didn't need to. He's busy anyways, it'll be fine. Besides, he was probably joking anyways when he said that he was going to come. He has better things to do with his life, stop being so hopeful Kim Hayoung!

"Shall we go now?"

Jongin's voice interrupted my thoughts as I stared up at him; he was already standing up and seemed to be waiting patiently for me. Flustered, I mumbled a quick "yes!" and hurried out of my office. Truth be told, I didn't feel any awkwardness while in the room with him, but standing in this hallway quickly made me aware that I was going to eat dinner... with my ex. It's not like we were friendly with each other, but then again, we didn't have a bad relationship, but it was just that I didn't think I would see him again after our break up.

"So how have you been?" He suddenly piped up as we got into the elevator.

"Oh, I've been pretty good. My life hasn't really been all that dramatic actually, haha, I've just been working and stuff."

"Hm, I assumed your life would've been more interesting than that! I bet you're still your feisty self, aren't you?"

"You were the one who used to date me, can't you tell?" I snorted, and he let out a loud laugh as the elevator shook to a stop and opened up. We both walked out and soon exited the building as he chuckled to himself.

"You really are pretty much the same as before, I'm surprised."

"Really? I think I've changed."

"That feisty attitude of yours hasn't," Jongin piped up. "Seriously, I thought it was annoying and degrading back in high school, but now it's actually pretty endearing, isn't it? I'm sorry, I was a bad boyfriend to you, you were pretty adorable at the time, but I really didn't treat you all too well didn't I?"

"It's fine," I murmured back. "It was a weird transition period for us anyways, don't blame it on yourself. I was also a pretty bad
girlfriend to you."

"Hm, I wouldn't go as far to call you bad, but I guess we just weren't meant for each other at the time. It's quite a coincidence that we met again huh?" Jongin smiled, guiding me to his car.

"Yeah."

My responses kept on getting shorter and shorter, but how could I help it when Kim freaking Jongdae could be going to my house any second? Anxiously, I checked my phone once more, and to my surprise, he hasn't even called once. Did he forget on his promise because if so, then good. I'm so tired of having to worry over that kid!

"So this is one of my favorite restaurants! Have you ever been here?" Jongin asked, parking in a well-lit area, and I looked up only to see that it was the restaurant where I first encountered Jongdae - oh great.

"Uh, yeah. It's been a while since I've been here though," I murmured in disbelief. Out of the many restaurants that lined up Seoul, we just had to go to the one that literally reminds me of that idiot?!

Still in shock, it took all of my senses to get me up and out of the car without looking like I had witnessed a celebrity standing in front of me. Jongin led me inside and promptly got a table.

"Sit!" He proclaimed, pulling out the chair for me.

"Thank you," I replied softly, and sat down.

After giving our drink and food order to the waiter, Jongin grinned as he said, "This is just like one of the dates we went on when we were younger huh? But not as romantic, haha."

"Oh shut up," I rolled my eyes. "Those dates were so awkward!"

"My favorite was when we went to McDonald's after school for a straight week," he laughed. "I got so sick of it, but I liked seeing you eat."

"I know, I was pretty cute huh," I replied, reminiscing over my high school days. "Jeez, why did you even like me? You were practically the most sought out guy ever."

Jongin rolled his eyes at my comment. "Please Hayoung, that was like ten years ago. Why are you asking me now?"

"Because I didn't have the chance to ask you back then, duh," I retorted and he sighed in defeat.

"You're right, I guess. Well, my memory's a little hazy because it's been so long and we didn't exactly end on the nicest terms - which I am still sorry about, by the way. It was a bit harsh of me to put down your personality and use it as an excuse for us not working out in the end," He was blushing red with embarrassment and I nodded awkwardly. "But if I do recall correctly, it was because you were someone I felt really comfortable around. It was easy being around you. I didn't have to impress you at all, and you didn't care if I showed up in a super hot outfit or not because you were always there for me. I remember liking how friendly and caring you were, even if others didn't believe it. Geez, everyone hated you because they thought you were such a ."

"Did I ask for you to mention that part?" I grumbled.

"Haha exactly," he chuckled. "Anyways, there were a lot of reasons why I liked you, but it's a little cheesy saying them now when we just met again."

"I regret even asking, it wasn't as fulfilling as I expected it to feel," I rolled my eyes.

"That's what I'm saying!"

After some more chatting, the waiter came by with our order, and we dug in happily, after hours of not eating.

"Oh! See, I really liked when you ate heartily, like you are right now!" Jongin commented, and I looked up from my chicken sandwich with narrowed eyes.

"Just shut up and eat, I'm so tired of you," I retorted and he laughed.

"I also appreciated when you would reply to me like that too!"

I rolled my eyes.


"Thanks for the meal, once again," I said across my passenger window, as Jongin pulled up into my driveway, parking right next to my car.

"Of course! I do owe you, after breaking your heart," he joked playfully, resting his elbow on the hinge of his door.

"You did not."

"Okay, whatever you say!" He grinned, and I sighed loudly, showing my feigned annoyance at him.

"Well, thanks for coming out and hanging with me. It was nice to catch up with you," I said, and he just nodded in response.

"I'll get going now, okay?"

I watched Jongin leave, and got out of my car, making sure I had everything, before going inside and noting that it was remotely dark in the house, except for the kitchen.

"Jongdae? Are you here?"

It was silent.

I treaded across the hallway and peeked past the corner, almost yelping in shock when I saw his arms sprawled all of the table. He had prepared dinner and my heart clenched at the thought of him waiting for me.

"Jongdae?" I whispered, acting as if his sleeping self could hear me. Carefully getting closer to him, I shook him until he opened his eyes, and jumped up in realization.

"Hayoung? What time is it?"

"Uh, 11 o'clock," I sheepishly replied.

"Oh. Did you just get home? Why so late?" He asked, a worried look spread across his face.

"Sorry. I was having dinner with a colleague," I trailed off, feeling guilty.

Jongdae frowned in confusion. "Who? I said I was going to come over, though..."

"I'm sorry. I didn't get a call, so I didn't expect to come over." I said, and even I wanted to punch myself for that lame excuse.

He merely stared at me blankly for a moment, before replying gruffly, "Ah, I guess I should've called you. I was just trying to surprise you, sorry."

"Well... are you still hungry?" I asked. "We can still eat."

Jongdae stared at the food in front of him and suddenly broke out into a small smile, one that I found relaxing to see. "Sure. Sit down, I'll warm everything up."

"Are you sure? I can help," I offered, and he just shushed me, while pulling me into a chair.

"It's okay. Just relax."

And that's exactly what I did.

Even though it was nice seeing my first love after so long and taking in his unchanged beauty, there was just something even more comforting about being by Kim Jongdae's side, but maybe that's what Kim Jongin meant when he explained why he liked me so long ago; maybe this comfort I'm feeling in Jongdae's presence was the kind of comfort he felt around me, and maybe that's why he enjoyed it so much. It's calming.

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
oh my GOODNESS i have been away for so long!!!! i'm so sorry to everyone, my life has been a real rollercoaster and i know that's not much of an excuse, but it's all i can say, other than sorry :( i'm so so so sorry for the long wait, but hopefully this update helped????? probably not but oh well :(