Chapter Six

The Feisty Bride
6 That Reminiscent Girl 
 

"I'm waiting." I voiced out impatiently as Jongdae took a long pause from his sentence.

"Shh. The pause was for emphasis, but you ruined it," he whined loudly, huffing at me.

"Are you gonna keep a girl waiting?" I hissed, pushing his chest playfully.

"If you hold my hand, I'll continue the story." Jongdae answered slyly, already reaching for my hand. I rolled my eyes and reluctantly let him grasp it because honestly, there was no stopping the man when it came to clammy hand holding. He smiled, pleased, and cleared his throat. "Alright, well here goes. My name is Kim Jongdae, although some like to call me Chen because I am a Chensing machine-"

"Chensing machine?" I blurted out, wanting to laugh.

"Yes, it's a pun on cleansing machine because my singing literally cleanses you, now shush. You interrupted my beautiful story," he frowned playfully, flicking my chin.

"Sorry," I mumbled, unappreciative of the chin flick.

"It's okay," he grinned. "Anyways, where was I? Oh, yeah Chensing machine. Well, I was born on September 21st and let me tell ya, it was a stressful day for my momma. I was about to pop out any moment, but she was desperately craving crawfish and my dad had to drive to the nearest crawfish restaurant to get some, but then he got a call that I was coming out, so forget the crawfish! And blah blah blah I was born, but my mom was so moody from the procedure and from not being able to eat anything, so she kicked my dad out and here I am."

"What kind of story is that?" I groaned, trying to keep in my laughter. "It was a wild start to finish."

"I'm wild from top to bottom, what do you expect?" Jongdae flashed a grin and I had to nod in agreeance. This kid must've been wild from birth.

"Do you have any siblings?" I asked curiously, peering up at him.

"No ma'am, I am an only child. Do you have any?"

"I have a half brother, but I haven't seen him in a few years since he's so busy with school and I haven't had a chance to visit him yet because he always tells me that he has to study," I sighed tiredly, just thinking about it.

"Tell me about your brother!" Jongdae insisted, looking so intrigued. "Older or younger? What's he like? Will he like me? What's his favorite food? Tell me all about your childhood!"

"Hey, you didn't even finish your story and now you want to hear mine?"

"Okay fine, I was born, ate a little, slept a little, barfed a lot, and now we're here. Your turn," he rolled his eyes and I stared at him, absolutely done. "I'm waiting for your story! You shouldn't make someone wait."

"You're lame." I muttered under my breath, but that elephant still caught everything I said.

"Yes I know I am, now just tell me your childhood story!" Jongdae whimpered like a dog and pouted cutely. "Please please please with a cherry on top!"

"What are you, a kid? Anyways, my brother is five years younger than me, so he's practically a baby. We don't have the same dad, but that's irrelevant. My mom and my dad had me a year after they got married, but who would've known the old man would die a little over a year after my birth. Then, she met this new guy when she didn't expect it and they got married and had my brother when I was five-ish. That new guy stayed with us until I was about 20 and that's when he died too. Ironic huh? Well, my mom was heartbroken, but now she's living the single life, taking care of my ugly brother," I laughed and Jongdae cupped my face gently, staring at me soothingly.

"And?" He croaked out, moving his hand from my face to my face to brush away the stray strands. "What else do you want to say? You can tell me anything, I swear I won't tell anyone." His laugh brought sudden calmness to me and I racked my brain, deciding what to say.

"And I want to see my brother really badly, but I don't want to bother him because he's busy studying for college. I also want to visit my dad's grave and also my stepdad's grave and I want to be a good daughter to my mom because she does a lot for me, even though I want to yell at her for doing stupid things," I rambled on and on and Jongdae ran his fingers through my locks comfortigly. Letting out a big sigh when I finished, he gave me a brilliant smile like he always does.

"Okay. Let's go visit your brother soon and also your mom and let's have dinner with them. Let's also visit your dad and stepdad's graves whenever you have the chance and let's do whatever you want, yeah?"

"Why do you even like me?" I mumbled, sniffling back tears. Jongdae wiped my eyes with his thumbs, and stared at me with tender eyes.

"It's a long story," he answered.

"You're my ride home anyways," I replied, staring back at him. His grip on my hand had grown a little tighter and he took a deep breath, as if he was about to dive into deep water or something.

"You're gonna have to hear me become super mushy," he said bashfully.

"I listen to you being an idiot everyday, I can handle this," I pointed out jokingly and Jongdae just shook his head at me, a smile gracing his face.

"Hey, we're having a heart to heart here okay? Well, I was a hopeless romantic when I was younger, honestly." He paused to laugh and I sent him a funny look.

"Are you sure you're not a hopeless romantic right now?" I retorted and he rolled his eyes.

"How can I be a hopeless romantic if my love for you isn't hopeless?" He answered cleverly and I groaned.

"Please continue your story before I eat myself."

"Alright alright," he continued with a chuckle. "So let's see... ah! In college, I had a lot of friends okay? And they introduced me to some girls at the Ehwa College, you know? And there was this girl that caught my eye. Her name was Kim Jaeun and I was head over heels for her. I even fantasized our marriage and you already know that I went wrong with that. Well, we dated for a few years and I was about to propose to her, but literally on the day I was about to, she dumps me for an absolute chump. Can you even believe that? Why would you ever dump Kim Jongdae for a nerd?"

"Aren't you the nerd?" I joked and he playfully pushed my shoulder.

"Hey, say it again?" He threatened, trying to look thuggish, but only managing to look like a little kid.

"I said that you're a nerd," I laughed.

"Whatever. Now tell me about your love life, besides being engaged to the most handsome guy on the planet, ahem, Kim Jongdae?" He asked, not forgetting to gloat about himself.

"Firstly, I'm not engaged and secondly, you are most definitely not the most handsome guy on the planet," I quipped and Jongdae gasped in feigned hurt.

"How could you say that about me?"

"I can say anything I want!"

"If you can say anything, then tell me about your love life!"

"I don't understand why I'm obligated to tell you my love life, honestly." I sighed, staring at him in disbelief.

"Cause I told you mine and I asked nicely," Jongdae replied stubbornly.

"I don't think telling me 'tell me about your love life' was all too nice?"

"Please?" He added tiredly. "You make me weary sometimes."

"It's my job," I beamed. "But anyways, unlike your tragic love story about how your girl left a chump for a bigger chump, mine is awful."

"I don't see how my story about getting dumped isn't awful," he butted in with a crossy expression on his face.

"Okay, it's awful, but so is mine, so shush your mouth. Mine happened in high school, so it was a long time ago and it was my last year. I had scored the hottest guy on the planet-no Jongdae, shut up. Anyways, I scored the hottest guy in the school and his name was Kim Jongin. Oh my gosh that boy knocked the socks off of all the girls. He was h-o-t. Hot. Even thinking about it right now, he is so hot."

"Hey! I wanted to listen to your love life, not how you think some dude is soo hot. You never even know, he might have degraded okay! Jeez!" Jongdae hissed, shaking his head in disgust.

"Alright, Mr. Jealous Pants, listen here. If you had seen him, which you didn't, you would've gotten your socks knocked off too, so shush! And anyways, aside from how hot he was because damn that boy is fine, we were good friends in high school. All the girls had a thing for him and out of all of them, who did he chose? Who? Who? Oh that's right, Kim Hotyoung. That might've been the proudest moment of my life honestly. Shoot, why did you ask me about him, now I can't stop talking about how amazing his face is! You should've seen it."

"Yes go on about your man, while your future husband is sitting right in front of you," he droned, rolling his eyes.

"It's not my fault that you asked." I retorted and he just sighed.

"Whatever you say."

"I'm sorry I'm sorry, I won't get off track anymore, I promise," I laughed and continued my ramble. "Well anyways, we got together and so then all of the girls in the school hella tried roasting me, but ya girl is the roast master. They couldn't even touch me because all I do is spit fire at them haha. Well I guess Jongin is a liiittle more sensitive than I thought. He broke up with me maybe like a year later because of things like how we didn't have time for each other because of college, he felt bad about that, yadda yadda yadda, and he especially didn't like my fiesty personality, but who cares, I'm too hot for him anyways. This girl isn't gonna put out her flames just because you don't like them."

"You sound like you're drunk," Jongdae pointed out and I giggled.

"But I'm not," I answered and he nodded in agreeance.

"Well, that's actually awful, but you're still fiesty to this day, so I think you're the one who's gonna knock snocks, I mean, , I mean, socks. That's what I meant, socks." Jongdae stuttered and I laughed, sitting up.

"I'm so glad we talked about these things today. I feel so free," I smiled, stretching my arms.

"I'm always here for you," he replied, resting his head on his arm.

"You better be or else I'll punch you," I joked.

"Do you wanna go to a cafe now?" Jongdae asked, sitting himself up.

"Cafe?"

"Yeah, my friend owns it and it's really cute. Kinda small, but you'll love it, I think."

"And if I don't?"

"Does it matter if I'm treating you?"

"Well then. I guess not," I broke out into a beam and Jongdae stood up, pulling me up as well. He picked up the blanket from the ground and dusted off the grass on it. We both walked to the car and I was greeted by the ugly sight of the dirt road and Jongdae and I both pretended to gag at the sight of it. "Let's go back here someday, yeah?" Jongdae asked happily, unlocking the car.

"Yeah, sure." I nodded and got in the car. Jongdae stuffed the blanket in the trunk before getting inside the car. He started the engine and started driving back onto the main roads.

"So where are we going now?" I asked.

"It sounds a little cheesy, but it's called Chatfé. I wasn't the one who named it okay."

"It sounds cute! I don't understand what it means, but it sounds cool."

"Well, the thing is," Jongdae drawled bashfully, "it doesn't mean anything. It's just a portmanteau of chat and cafe because you chat with friends at that cafe basically."

"Well, that makes it lose its cute aspect then," I replied, crinkling my nose.

"It's cute inside, I swear."

"Should I trust you on this?"

"Definitely."

We rode it out listening to radio music and talking about random things, until he parked next to a building with a pink polka dotted canopy. "Is this it?" I asked, staring at it.

"Yeah, it is. Do you like it so far?" Jongdae asked, unbuckling his seatbelt.

"Yeah, it's nice." I answered with a firm nod, and he grinned, reaching over to unbuckle my seatbelt as well.

"Good. I thought you would like it," he replied, before getting out. I followed suit and walked in the cafe with him once he locked his car doors.

"Jongdae! Hey, I haven't seen you in a while! Who's that with you!" The barista grinned cheerily, greeting him with a huge wave. The cafe was bustling with a huge group of people crowding the tables and employees calling out random names.

"Ah Minseok! It's good to see you after so long," Jongdae waved back, grabbing my hand and dragging me over. "This is my future wife, Kim Hayoung!"

"Except that I'm not gonna be his future wife sorry." I added and Minseok laughed.

"She's adorable, I like her. Anyways, could I get you anything?"

"You know what I want already," Jongdae replied and looked back at me. "What do you want to drink?"

I stared up at the menu and perused it with confusion on my face. What were these flavors? Magic Carpet? Firey Fart? Monkey Spit?! What in the world?

"I see you're having a little bit of difficulty," Minseok pointed out and I nodded shyly. He chuckled and pointed to the different drinks. "This is our most popular, but in my opinion, this one tastes the best. This is what you want for a rainy day, but who could go wrong with this one?"

I stared in awe and just bashfully said, "Can I just have the most popular drink?"

Minseok nodded happily and got the orders worked on. Jongdae paid for them and we picked out one of the few tables that weren't already occupied. "See, I told you this place was good." He quipped and I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, yes, Kim Jongdae the god of the cafes, of course."

"What can I say, I'm just too good. I'm even better than that Kim Jongding dude."

"Kim Jongin." I corrected.

"Kim Jungle." He said.

"Kim Jongin." I repeated.

"Kimchi Jjigae." He replied.

"Yah, are you hungry?" I hissed, sending him a short glare. "It's not kimchi jjigae, I'm telling you, Kim Jongin is a god of the face okay. You haven't even seen him yet! Don't make fun of him when you drop dead seeing his visuals!"

"Why do you always have to talk about a chump like him..." Jongdae trailed off bitterly.

"You're the one mentioning him," I retorted and he just shook his head in disappointment.

"Kim Jongin, Kim Jongdae... I'm the better Kim Jong here!" He insisted stubbornly.

"Alright, whatever you say." I answered and Minseok dropped off the drinks skillfully.

"What are you guys talking about?" He grinned, showing off his pearly whites.

"We're talking about how good I am and how disgusting this kimchi jjigae kid is! Honestly, it's like comparing a Won Bin to a trash can," Jongdae hissed in dissatisfaction.

"Kim Jongin is definitely Won Bin and you're definitely a trash can!" I retaliated and he just huffed with annoyance.

"Well, stay comfy and don't start wrestling each other inside the store," Minseok joked, before jogging back to the counter. Jongdae crinkled his nose at the thought of Kim Jongin, but relaxed laxly once he took a sip of his drink. I took a sniff of what happened to be the most popular drink, and sighed happily. This stuff smelled good, and I mean g-o-o-d. It was a mix of coffee beans and chocolate and maybe lavender? I'm no expert in aromas, but it doesn't matter when this stuff smelled great. I took a sip and smiled to myself as the taste engulfed my senses. Okay, there is a reason why this is the most popular drink and I am seriously questioning why I only found it today. Am I just being too hyped over a drink?!

"I told you it was good, didn't I?" Jongdae nodded proudly, as if he completed a world record.

"Yeah yeah, you did," I rolled my eyes at him, but that didn't stop him from staring smugly at me.

"Hmph. It shows how amazing the Kim Jongdae is compared to-"

"If you say the word, I will literally spit in your face." I interrupted, not in the mood to fight about Kim Jongin being hotter than Jongdae (even though he is).

"Fine fine. We already know the truth in our hearts anyways," Jongdae sighed triumphantly.

"Whatever you say," I muttered, continuing to sip my drink. We sat there for maybe an hour, chatting about random things and drinking our drinks, while trying not to mention the certain name (but Jongdae was having a really hard time with that, by how salty he was about everything).

"Are you done?" He asked, pointing to my almost empty cup. I shook my head, sipping the rest of it before handing it to him firmly. "Yeesh, lazy ."

"That's me," I grinned, gathering my stuff as he threw the trash away.

"Are you ready to go?" Jongdae asked as he came back. I nodded and he grabbed my hand, making me give him a pointed look, although he wouldn't let go. "Let's say goodbye to Minseok first."

We walked towards the said person, who was wiping graphic cups with a baby blue towel. "Hi! Are you guys leaving already?" He asked, smiling brightly.

"Yeah, it was really nice seeing you!" Jongdae nodded happily.

"Aw okay, have fun going home! By the way, you never actually introduced her to me! What's her name?" He asked curiously, tilting his head like a puppy would.

"Hello, my name is Kim Hayoung. It's nice to meet you officially," I grinned, shaking his hand.

"Kim Minseok and it's nice to meet you too," he greeted warmly. "Well, I shouldn't keep you guys couped in here. I hope you have a safe trip here and I hope this visit was good!"

"It definitely was," Jongdae nodded. "See ya later!"

We exited the cafe and I got into his car. "Wow, it's already 6:30," he commented, staring at the clock on his dashboard. "It's still so bright outside though." He added with a sigh, turning on the engine. I nodded in agreement and stared out the window glumly as I thought of the fact that I had to go to work tomorrow and spent the whole weekend hanging with a dweeb named Kim Jongdae, instead of relaxing and sleeping like I had planned. He backed out of the parking lot and drove down the asphalt street, and I mentally waved goodbye to the cute little cafe.

"Did you like hanging out with me? Kim Jongdae is pretty fun isn't he?"

"Nope," I answered, rolling my eyes at his cockiness.

"That's what you're saying, but really, that means yes. I am a master at deciphering," he proudly proclaimed and I just sighed, shaking my head with embarrassment. "What? I really am!"

"Whatever you say," I shrugged.

"Yeesh you're a buzzkill. I'm just trying to prove how cool I am," Jongdae insisted, but his attempts were futile. He's a lame dweeb and a lame dweeb he will forever be. "Well now you have discovered a gem of a cafe, thanks to moi."

"Wow how cool, speaking one word of French to me." I said sarcastically and he beamed with satisfaction.

"I'm so glad you noticed! Ya boy, Kim Jongdae, is a linguistic linguini!"

"Linguistic linguini."

"Linguistic linguini," he repeated seriously. "Here, I know words in Chinese, Korean, English, French..." He continued counting out all of the languages he knew words to while I tuned him out to stare at my phone.

"I really wanna go on a vacation," I sighed out, moodily glancing up to look at outside the window.

"Then ask for vacation," Jongdae replied simply.

"Then I have to actually book tickets for a cool place and end up emptying my bank account," I groaned at the thought of losing all my hard-earned money.

"You won't have to worry too much about money when I come along!" He declared loudly and my jaw dropped at his statement. Wh... Who invited him?!

"You're not invited," I said pointedly and he shook his hand dismissively.

"Yes I am, I'm invited by association." He answered absentmindedly, as he turned into a neighborhood.

"You're not associated with me then."

"You can't determine that ya know?"

"I do what I want," I mumbled stubbornly and Jongdae chuckled.

"Whatever you want," he replied and stopped as he drove in front of my driveway. "Anyways, we're here! I'm gonna miss you, why do you have to live so close to the cafe?"

I rolled my eyes at his whining and unlocked the car door, ready to get out until he whimpered some more. "Hey, aren't you going to give me a goodbye kiss? At least say something!"

"I don't wanna give you a goodbye kiss, I'm not even dating you-and no, we are not engaged or getting married or whatever, so don't you dare say it!"

"At least say I'm better than that kimchi jjigae kid."

"What?"

"Please?" Jongdae did his best to form a puppy dog face and I rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time since I woke up.

"Fine. You're better than Kim Jongin," I reminded him of his real name and Jongdae just shook his head at the sound of it. "Are you happy now?"

"Yes, of course! I finally proved to my ancestors that I'm waaay better than some stew boy," He answered proudly and I opened my mouth to correct him before he interrupted me, "But anyways, you should get in and get ready for bed. You have work tomorrow, am I correct? I don't want you to be sleeping on the job."

"Alright then. Thanks for taking me out today and don't bother me anymore, thanks. Bye," I waved at him as I got out and he waved back at me sweetly.

"Alright bye, I'll be looking forward to paying you more visits! Don't worry about me bothering you to open the door or anything, I have the keys to your house!" He reminded and I groaned loudly as he drove away. Great, just great. He was going to keep on bothering me, whether I like it or not.

Sighing, I walked to my door and unlocked it, stepping inside. Closing it behind me and securing the lock, I pulled my shoes off before jumping on the couch tiredly. Yeesh, Kiim Jongdae really knows how to wear someone out. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I stared at the lock screen for a moment before hesitantly unlocking it with my fingerprint. I immediately clicked the 'phone' app and stared at a name before pressing it unsurely.

This led me to a different screen and I heard it ring before someone picked up. "Sis? Why did you call me so randomly? What are you doing right now?" My usually reactionless brother bombarded me with all sorts of questions and I grinned happily at him being so interested at something.

"Well, I just got home from hanging out with this guy. Let me tell you, Sehunnie, he is something else. He's definitely way better than Kim Jongin," I laughed as I replied all of his questions one by one. "Do you remember him?"

"Oh really?" I could imagine him raising his brow at my statement. "Tell me about this mystery dude. I wanna meet him asap if he's way better than the Kim Jongin, the one ex my sister could not stop talking about. Is he hotter than him too?" I crinkled my nose at his lame teasing.

"No he's not nearly as hot as Kim Jongin because honestly, who could be? But anyways, his name is Kim Jongdae and I can't wait for you to meet him one day."

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
hello everyone!! now that school is over, i'm so motivated to work on this!! i hope you guys like this chapter and have a good night! :)