Chapter One

The Feisty Bride

 

1 That Feisty Girl 
 

"Oh my gosh, Mom, you're not seriously saying that you set me up with a blind date today." I groaned, as I reached in the fridge for a bottle of orange juice. Plopping on the couch, I continued on my conversation, "And what are you thinking though? Come on, I can so get a guy if I wanted to."

"Sweetie, you're already 26 and you don't even have a boyfriend, when your friends are all getting married. I think I'm doing you a huge favor at this point." My mom replied with a tiny bit of pride in her voice and I rolled my eyes.

"I could've had a boyfriend, but I just didn't want to date those greasy fart bags." I answered, shaking my orange juice bottle with narrowed eyes.

"Well I liked that one kid with the glasses and the hair. You should've dated that guy," my mom answered vaguely and I groaned internally, rubbing my temples.

"The hair."

"Yeah. The hair."

"Mom, you make me wanna cry. Anyways, I have to go, ugh, work's in an hour." I groaned internally, just thinking about work already.

"Right. Well have fun at your date tonight! Dress fancy and be polite or I'll kick your ." My mom reminded, causing me to groan in annoyance. She hung up on me, and I sighed, putting my phone down and taking a sip of my juice. Did she really have to set me up with someone, like come on, I'm just fine and my love life is just absolutely great. Like, I mean, who really cares if I haven't even had a boyfriend in like, five years? I'm not lonely, am I?

Putting aside my failing love life, I groaned as I got up and trudged to my closet, and wondered what to wear today for my date. Sighing, I picked out a sleeveless, periwinkle dress with lace, and changed into it quickly. After debating on curling my hair or not, I just decided to curl the ends quickly, carefully handling the curling iron so that I didn't burn myself. After spending a whole thirty minutes biting my lip anxiously and curling strands of my hair (not to mention accidentally burning myself like five hundred times before actually finishing), I put the curler away and did my makeup, patting some BB cream on my face and adding thin, winged eyeliner and coral colored lipstick on.

Checking the time, I just spritzed a bit of perfume on before grabbing my white purse, and head to work. The ride to work wasn't too bad, it only took about 20 minutes, but by the time I got there, the heat was just scorching. I made sure to park in the shade, and sighed, pressing my face against the air conditioner for a moment, before groaning as I opened the car door, feeling the heat hit me, as if it was trying to say "Good morning, sunshine!" Yeah, okay, I may be hot sunshine, but it's never a good morning when you have to go to work.

Sighing, I stepped out and locked the car, before walking inside a somewhat large clothes store that was decorated with lightbulbs and polaroids that featured random items and customers. "Hey Hayoung," my co-worker, Minju, smiled cutely, and I nodded, greeting her back. Swiping my card in the backroom, I put my stuff away in my cubby, and put my nametag on my dress.

"Hayoung? You're fancy today."

I turned at the sound of the feminine voice and saw my boss, Choi Semi, staring at me curiously.

"Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm being forced onto a blind date today," I complained, rolling my eyes at the ridiculous idea. I mean, come on, did I really need to be set up with someone by my mom? Couldn't it have been my friends?

"You don't like the idea?" She chuckled, fixing her earrings in the mirror nearby.

"Not really," I answered, wrinkling my nose. Semi just laughed at my statement and brushed the brown bangs out of her eyes.

"You never know, maybe he's a sweetheart," She winked. "Anyways, the shop opens in ten minutes, so be sure to be by the cashier by then okay?" I nodded to show that I listened, and made my way out to the counter, joining Minju, as she busily checked her phone, swiping through her texts. She let out a frustrated sigh that sounded more like a groan, and I looked up at her, wondering if I should ask her what's wrong. She must've caught me watching her because she mumbled, "My boyfriend is being completely dumb right now."

I chuckled and sent her a sympathetic smile. "What's up with him?"

"He's telling me to bring home a sports bra so that he could put it on his friend's dog!" She whined. "I'm not spending my money for that! It's such a ridiculous idea."

"You tell him, girl. He needs to buy his own bra." I nodded my head in agreement. Semi was standing by the rack of tank tops as she listened onto our conversation, fixing the hangers while doing so.

"You guys are gonna drive all the customers away if you keep up talking about bras." She commented, smoothening the wrinkles of a black top. I flipped my hair and let out a playful sigh.

"It's okay, only chicks and the occasional forced boyfriend comes here anyways. I can talk about bras all day," I joked, straightening out the counter and clearing it. Minju just covered her face in embarrassment and groaned.

"You're so embarrassing." She commented, sending a sideways glance at me and I just winked at her.

"Well I'm cooler than you," I replied back, grinning widely. Minju pouted and narrowed her eyes at me, and Semi just rolled her eyes dramatically, as she strode to the front door and unlocked it.

The rest of the day was slow, since it was the beginning of the week and really, who goes shopping on a Monday? That's the day where people cry about having to get out of bed and having to start the whole week over again, and then they have to wait for a whole week for a new episode of their drama too, oh gosh, that's just too cruel.

My shift ended at around seven, so I said goodbye to Semi and Minju, who still had another hour of work left, and I quickly left to go to the back room, taking my nametag off and pulling my purse out of my cubby. I was supposed to meet my blind date at around 7:30 at a fancy restaurant, so I freshened up my make-up and hair, before leaving (although I listened to some tips that both Semi and Minju had offered).

"Say you can't cook or clean and see how he reacts. Say you can't even cook ramen." Semi nodded with expertise, as she thought of some suggestions.

"Say you don't like being touchy in public and then say that you like to make lots of noise in the morning and that you're super clumsy and you always make a mess," Minju added with a mischievious twinkle in her eyes.

I couldn't help but smiling as I replayed their supposedly "helpful" advice in my head. It's like they actually wanted you to stay single forever.

Finally, I reached my destination, and parked at a restaurant that just exuded a rich aura. Staring at it in awe, I strode inside, and blinked, searching for someone who was lonely and looked like my date. Where could he be? Checking my phone, I waited for his text, which didn't come. You can probably tell that he's one of those bimbos that send late replies.

I mustered up the courage to send him a text, and right before I was about to send it, my phone vibrated, his text showing up on my screen.

Butthead: Where are you? I'm sitting in the back, next to the window. Get here quicker next time.

Who does this kid think he is, I thought, raising my eyebrow. Shaking that thought away, I blinked, striding over to the large windows that captured the night time scenery. In the corner sat a well groomed man, who stared outside impatiently, and since he was the only dude that looked alone and somewhat miserable, I'm 99% sure he's my date. Approaching the table, I noticed that he constantly checked his phone and stared out the window, as if it was a drama scene. I'm 99% sure he's one of those dramatic kids. He noticed me, and turned his head, scanning me quickly, before letting out a disappointed sigh, making me want to bash his head into the table. I just let that slide as I introduced myself.

"Hi, I'm Kim Hayoung and I'm 26 years old. Please take care of me," I bowed, and sat down.

"Hi," he answered back, sipping his wine dismissively. "I'm Kim Jongdae, but call me Chen. I'm 27."

The way he introduced himself made me want to kick him in the face. "Hey, didn't your parents ever tell you to introduce yourself properly?" I narrowed my eyes at him. He just raised a brow.

"And you think you introduced yourself properly?"

"I did better than you," I retorted, rolling my eyes.

"Hm." He answered simply, and I groaned internally.

This is going to be one heck of a date.

 
                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
sorry for the suuuuper long wait, but I finally updated! ^^ bleh, tbh I don't really like how I wrote this chapter, but it'll get better later on, or at least I'll try to make it better later on LOL. i'm like 99% sure I have writer's block rn tho so yay! ^^ jk i'm sobbing i spent 7 months on the first chapter i'm in too deep