Neighbors

High School Diary

Dear diary,

Today I just met the Oh Family. You know, the ‘Oh Se Hoon and Oh Ha Young’ family. I will tell you how I met them all, including their parents.

It began when Soo Hyun suddenly got sick earlier. She was having this headache since the morning, but she said she refused not to go to school because Mr. Shim promised to throw us a test today. She didn’t want to miss it, since Mr. Shim is a hard one to be asked to make make-up tests.

“You should eat medicine or something,”   Sang Hyuk commented.  Soo Hyun just dismissed his comment by waving her hand, “let it be. I can endure it.”

“You look so pale, Soo Hyun-ah.”  I gave my comment too, “I think you should go to infirmary or just ask to go home.”

“I didn’t need it. I will be fine.”  So she just prepared everything to face Mr. Shim’s test, which was true happened and true it was a difficult test. Even when I asked Hak Yeon-sshi about his predictions about the answers, he didn’t talk much.

“Na Eun-sshi, this test is difficult. I even bet Kim Joon Myun sunbaenim can’t even answer that.”

“So are you saying you can’t do it?”

“No. Maybe seniors can, but I doubt it.”  I then got afraid of my own score. I am not really that good at mathematics and its friends, plus I just got moved to this school. I really need to get good scores so that I can secure some ways to go to universities.

That was why I ran to the library at the end of the school’s time. I wanted to study more.

That was when I met Kim Jong In sunbaenim again. He was there with a girl, perhaps my senior, I didn’t really know her.

I just wanted to pass him when he recognized my existence and shouted, “Yah, Son Na Eun!”

Great. He shouted at the library.

“Sssssshhhhhhtttttt!”  The librarian shushed us. He then clumsily smiled and kept looking at me. I had no other choice then to turn around and bowed to him. The girl who was beside him looking very pissed. I can guarantee that.

“Sunbaenim.”

“What are you doing here?” 

“Uh, searching books.”  Since that place was library, what should I do there beside searching books? On the other hand, he nodded.

“Hey. Let me introduce you to Han Yu Ra. Yu Ra-ah, she is Son Na Eun, our junior in this school, and Na Eun-sshi, this is my girlfriend.”  No wonder she was so pissed. I just bowed to him. Thankfully, she still knew some manners as she bowed back to me, but she scoffed. I couldn’t blame her, though.

“What books are you searching for?”  Kim Jong In sunbaenim, please do not ask more. Can’t you feel your girlfriend here is angry? That was my thought.

“Uh….for school.”


Of course you search books for school. What I mean is what kind of subject you are searching for. Maybe I can help.”

“Oh, thank you, sunbaenim, but no. I can search it by myself.”

“Is that so? Alright then. I hope you can find it.”  He made ‘hwaiting’ gesture to me, and I could just smile also bow to both of them. After that I literally ran for my life. I even hid myself near the bookshelves. I sometimes took a peek, or maybe peeks, so that I could assure my life would be okay in this school.

And someone poked me from behind.

“Ah!”

“OH MY GOD! I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to startle you!”  I turned back and saw someone familiar.

 

She was Oh Ha Young.

 

Since I moved to this school, the only junior that I have interacted with was Do Kyung Soo. He is an adorable guy. His smile is so cute; sometimes I really feel that he is so squishy that I want to pinch his cheek. He always tags along with Hak Yeon-sshi, so I know him well enough.

“Oh…”

“I know you. You are the girl, the other girl that is usually along with unnie.”  What? Unnie?

“Unnie?”

“Yeah, So Hyun unnie. You are her friend, right? I always see you along with Hye Ri unnie and Sang Hyuk sunbaenim.”

Okay. She just called Soo Hyun as ‘unnie.’  I highly doubt So Hyun doesn’t know her well, and so she knows Oh Se Hoon sunbaenim well too.

But why are they acting like they are strangers?

“Uh, yes, I am. My name is Son Na Eun.”

“Nice to meet you!”  She is definitely a cheerful girl, “my name is Oh Ha Young, but I think you have known that, due to my brother’s popularity.”  I just nodded.

“What are you doing here hiding behind these bookshelves?”  Oh she noticed it.

“No, I am not hiding.”

“I can see clearly you are hiding. I also saw you were talking to Jong In oppa. Is he the cause?”  She then examined my face. I just blinked several times because I felt confused of her ‘so-detective’ look on her face. She then clicked her tounge, “I know! You like him, right? That is why you are so afraid that he will follow you here!”

What?

“What? No! I don’t like him….I mean he is nice but that doesn’t mean I like him! Well, I like him but—“  Why did I keep stuttering? Ha Young just giggled.

“You know what? Your reaction is just same with So Hyun unnie when I asked her about her feelings to oppa.”

I could feel my eyes were about to pop out. I didn’t have to ask which ‘oppa’ she meant. I knew exactly who she meant.

“Really?”  Ha Young then covered with her palms, like she just blurted out an important fact that she needed to keep as a secret.

“No, I didn’t say that.”

“But you just said—“

“Please forget I said that.”   I then nodded. I didn’t even have any desire to spread it like disease to whole school. But I know now, there is definitely something happened between So Hyun and Oh Se Hoon sunbaenim.

Then my phone was ringing. I looked into the caller id. It was Sang Hyuk.

“Hello?”

“Na Eun-ah. So Hyun just fell down near the gate. Her headache must be so awful.”  I gaped.

“What? How is she now?”

“Now I am following her.”  Wait, what?”

“What?”

“I am following her; Oh Se Hoon sunbaenim carried her back to infirmary.”  

“Infirmary? Okay, I will go there. Where is Hye Ri?”

“She is with me too.”

“See you there.”

“What happened?”  Ha Young asked. I just realized that she was there the whole time.

“So Hyun fell down because of her headache—“

“Is she? She has never been too well since we were kids. Let’s go, sunbaenim!”  She pulled my hand and dragged me to the infirmary.

 

 

 

“I think we need to call her family to bring her back to her house, since none of you three know her house’s location,”  Im seongsanim talked to us, me, Sang Hyuk and Hye Ri. It was unbelievable! None of us knew So Hyun’s house location. She was so secretive about it.

“No need, seongsanim.”  Oh Se Hoon sunbaenim talked from our backs, “I know her house. I can take her there.”  We gaped.

“Wait, what? How could you know?”  asked Sang Hyuk, in disbelief. I just stared to him, since I got some information and codes about their true relationship. I didn’t get really shocked, but still…..

“We know.”  Ha Young answered instead, “our families have been friends, even after her father died, our parents are still in contact with her mother.” 

“Wait! ‘Her father died?’ How….What…?”  Hye Ri lost words. I was shocked too, and I bet none of these two people knew that So Hyun’s father has passed away.

“It was a long time. You two haven’t met her when it happened.”  Se Hoon sunbaenim explained, or should I call it as just a tiny explanation?  “I will take her back to her house. I and my sister will do it.”

“Very well, since it looks like you two are the only people here who know her address,”  Im seongsanim talked, “as for you three, you may go back to your houses, if you don’t have extra class to be attended to.”  Both Sang Hyuk and Hye Ri nodded. I knew this evening they were having extra-class or meeting. Hye Ri was with her gymnastic club, while Sang Hyuk was with the student’s council’s meeting.

“I will go with you two.”  I volunteered myself to the Oh siblings. I just couldn’t let So Hyun alone with them…..and I was still curious about the truth. I could see both Hye Ri and Sang Hyuk approved my action.

So there I was, leaving with Se Hoon sunbaenim’s car (well, they have their own chauffeur to take them everywhere. Ha Young explained that to me). One thing I noticed: I didn’t see Park Soo Jung sunbaenim everywhere.

So Hyun slept with her head on my lap. Ha Young sat beside me, while Se Hoon sunbaenim sat beside the chauffeur. She slept so peaceful.

Well, finally we arrived at her house. The houses there were just like those shown in American sit-coms. I know So Hyun is coming from somewhat well-off family, maybe more than all of us her friends, but she has never shown it to everyone. It was a lovely house, with white fence and tiny garden in front of it, yet it was empty. Se Hoon sunbaenim rang the bell and there was no answer.

“Oppa, what should we do?”

“We could take her to our house. I can call Kim ahjumma to pick her. She must be at work.”

“Okay.”

“Wait, does it mean I have to go to your house?” 

“Yes, Son Na Eun sunbaenim. Don’t worry, our house is just the next door.”  WHAT??? WHAT??? NEXT DOOR? AS IT MEANS THEY ARE NEIGHBOURS???

I just gaped there as the chauffeur stopped the car in front of the house next to So Hyun’s house. The house was bigger, of course, with big garage there, but smaller garden. However, there were lots of flowers, different from So Hyun’s house which garden was just full of green grass.

Ha Young got out from the car and Oh Se Hoon sunbaenim got in and carried So Hyun’s body with bridal-style. I then followed them into their house.

“Welco—wait! What happened? So Hyun-ah?”

“She got sick at school, Mom.”

“Oh, come on, let’s carry her into Ha Young’s bedroom.”  It was their mother. She used apron as she might be preparing food for dinner. I smiled to her as her children were taking care of So Hyun.

“Oh, hi there. I didn’t see you earlier. What’s your name, dear?”

“My name is Son Na Eun. I am So Hyun’s friend, Mrs. Oh.”

“Welcome to our house! Her mother is still working, and I will pick up her brother.”

“What?”

“Wait, don’t you know? She has a little brother and he is now in pre-school. Well, I just got back from my shop so I wanted to prepare snack for these children before taking him from the playground. You know those places when you can put children to play there while you are working.”  Then she saw the clock. “Just feel free to do anything in this house. I am late to pick So Gun.”  And then she was gone. Just like that.

There are so many things we don’t know about So Hyun. She is not the only child; she has a little brother. Her mother is working and raising the children along. Her father has passed away and it happened way before she met Sang Hyuk and Hye Ri. That means the incident probably happened when she was in junior high school, because as far as I know, three of them met for the first time at the first day of the school more than one year ago. And this…..she is neighbor with the Oh siblings, and it seems that the families are so close. So these are her secrets.

 

But the biggest question hasn’t still answered yet: why do they act like they are strangers? Moreover So Hyun seems to hate Oh Se Hoon sunbaenim, but these facts say they should be best friends.

Or maybe there are things that haven’t revealed?

 

 

 

Dear diary,

Today is Saturday, and that means I was having a ‘date’ with Hak Yeon-sshi. We decided to meet at the park near the venue. I know, he asked me to go after our school, but I asked him to go there Saturday instead, since I was so busy thinking and trying to crack the puzzles here. Also, I was taking care of So Hyun when Hak Yeon-sshi supposed to take me to the exhibition.

Of course, So Hyun-Oh siblings’ story hasn’t finished. Sang Hyuk and Hye Ri yesterday were bombarding me with questions. I answered straightly, since I thought there was nothing to be hidden. So Hyun hadn’t come to school until this week ends.

Sang Hyuk and Hye Ri were shocked, but somehow they understood why So Hyun became so secretive about her life. So Hyun they knew was always secretive and mysterious. But they really demanded her explanation; after all, they are her best friends.

I wore nice white dress with pastel pink sweater. The outfits should be okay. So I went to the park. Hak Yeon-sshi was there with sky blue shirt and jeans. He was different from what he usually looks at school, and I knew I was busy blushing. This was my first date.

“Hi.”  I approached him and he looked surprised to see me.

“Oh, hi, Son Na Eun-sshi…..”  he looked to me, "you look beautiful."

I just blushed and looked down. He complimented me. Both of us smiled shyly and clumsily.

“Okay, shall we go?”  I agreed. He then walked beside me and we entered the venue. Truthfully, I don’t even know those psychic things, but I am glad I was there. At least, I could have photograph with Einstein’s wax statue.

“Hello you two!”  That voice. I turned back and I saw Park Chan Yeol sunbaenim and Do Kyung Soo. They were carrying pamphlets.

“Sunbaenim!”

“I thought Taek Woon was lying when he said you would bring a date to this exhibition,”  he said, “but I guessed he was telling the truth.”

“We are not dating, hyung,”  Hak Yeon said that, but he blushed like a tomato. I couldn’t help by blushing too. It was like we were caught by the supervisor for breaking laws at school.

Do Kyung Soo was just smiling while Park Chan Yeol sunbaenim laughed so hard. “If you two don’t have anything to do than circling this exhibition, please come to our stand.”  He handed me the pamphlet. “We will be waiting you there.”

As we have circling the venue, we decided to go to the stand. The Science Club’s members were there and practicing those science things. I even could see Kim Joon Myun sunbaenim there. We were spending time together and laughing together.

When it was the time, Hak Yeon-sshi walked with me together to my house. We were silent for almost all time since we were both flustered and shy.

“Uh, we have arrived.”  I said that when we reached the front of my apartment.

“So, where are you living?”

“Unit 3-7.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”  He smiled and I smiled back. Today was so exhausted yet meaningful. I just dated for the first time in my life, and the date just went well.

“So, good bye?”  I said that, and he smiled sweetly to me. When he got closer to me, I closed my eyes because I really felt he would kiss me, and I didn’t know what to do.

He just kissed my forehead.

“It was a nice date, Son Na Eun-sshi.”  I could do nothing but smiled widely. I really knew my face was red as tomato. I didn’t have any idea he could be this….sweet. He used to be silent all the time at school.

“I think it was too.”

“Maybe, second date, perhaps?”

“I would love to.”  I answered that and he smiled, since when he asked me about ‘second date’ he looked so nervous.

“Good bye, then. Please be careful.” 

I walked back to my unit with this flowery feeling and I definitely could feel butterflies were flying at my stomach. I just smiled widely with no intention to see what in front of me.

I opened the password tab on my house’s door (since my parents are working at Saturday and Yun Ho is having extra-class at Saturday) and tried to get into my apartment.

“Son Na Eun? Son Na Eun-sshi?”  I know that voice. I looked to left side of my body, and I saw none other than Kim Jong In sunbaenim. He was there, also tried to get into the unit next to my family. I just gaped.

“That’s really you!”  He shouted. I just there, stood quietly.

“Sunbaenim? Why are you here?”

“I should be the one who ask you that, since this is my house.” Then he stopped for seconds, “wait. My mother has told about your family. She said that we had a new neighbor. I guessed that means your family.” 

“What? Really?”

“Yes, I am living here. That means we are neighbors, Son Na Eun-sshi,”  he pulled out his hands from the pocket, “welcome, new neighbor.” 

 

 


there it is. The newest update. It hasn't been betaed, so I am sorry if there are lots of mistakes. 

 

@TheHannaMymiLicous:  thank you hehe....and yes please wait for the twist. I will keep in mind that someone here has predicted the story *oopss, spoiler here* :DD

@1312AZ: another person who can predict the story haha *another spoiler* thank you for the comment, please wait as the story goes :DD

@leenaeun: hehehehehe....thank you! :DD

@KawKaw: hm....I can use that as the plot twist *evil laughing* thank you for commenting! :DD

 

I hope you all like the story so far, and welcome to new subbies! 

Please comment hehehehe 

 

XOXO