.32.

Believe Only Half of What You See and Nothing That You Hear - indefinite hiatus

The Benandanti meet for the first time the following Monday. They meet in the café again, unwilling to even speak about their secret organization on the Peritia Academy campus.

“So what’s the purpose of this?” Minho asks, gesturing to the supplies in front of them. There’s all sorts of herbs, twigs, and flowers spread out on the table, along with wires, gems, and metal clasps.

“We’re going to make amulets,” Minwoo explains, squinting over a piece of paper. He’d photocopied a recipe from an old book he’d found in the library. “They’re supposed to offer us some protection from the demon.”

“Will it work?” Taemin asks uncertainly, plucking at some wispy strands of grass near him on the table.

Minwoo shrugs. “I certainly hope so. I guess we just have to believe.”

“Hey guys!” a friendly voice interrupts them. “What’s up?”

It’s Kim Himchan, coming over with a fresh coffee in his hand.

Jonghyun, who knows Himchan the best since they’re on the student council together, speaks up with a bright, fake smile. “We’re having a meeting of the gardening club. We’re making jewelry that’s supposed to help your crush like you.”

Under the table, Kibum gives him a sharp kick.

Himchan chuckles. “Wish I’d had one of those last weekend.”

“What happened?” Kyung asks politely.

Himchan sighs. “Well, I asked the guy I like out for coffee. He came, but I think he thought it was just as friends. Pretty sure he didn’t think it was a date.”

“Ooh, who is it?” Kibum asks eagerly. “Anyone we know?”

Himchan blushes. “He’s a third year, so probably not. Bang Yongguk.”

Junhong chokes on his tea.

“Anyway, I’d probably get going,” Himchan says with a little wave. “I’ve got homework to finish. Have fun with your club!”

“Gardening club?” Sehun asks Jonghyun with a roll of his eyes. “And making crush-catching jewelry?”

“I’m not good at thinking on my feet,” Jonghyun admits.

“Okay, lucky for you guys, I’m excellent at designing jewelry, so I’ve got this covered,” Kibum says with a grin.

An hour later, they’ve each got a pendant pinned to the front of their uniform jackets. They’re small and classy, easily passable as a piece of designer jewelry. Junhong hopes that no one will look too closely at them and realize they’re made out of flora and fauna.

“Thanks for helping me make an extra one,” Kyung says as they gather up their belongings and clean up the mess they’d made.

“No problem,” Kibum smiles. “Who’s it for?”

Kyung blushes bright red. “My best friend,” he admits. “Woo Jiho. He’ll think it’s stupid, but I think I can convince him to wear it.”

“Good luck,” Jonghyun, who also knows Jiho pretty well, teases.

Luckily for Kyung, it doesn’t take too much convincing to get Jiho to wear it.

He brings it up on Saturday, when he’s hanging out off campus with his best friend. They’re at the mall, sitting in the foot court, sharing an order of fries and a milkshake.

“Hey, I made you something,” he says a bit nervously.

Jiho is surprised but delighted. “Wait, you made something for me?” He grins. “What is it? What is it?”

“It’s nothing much,” Kyung mumbles, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the extra amulet. He slides it across the table. “It’s just…it would mean a lot to me if you would wear it.”

Jiho picks up the amulet and studies it carefully. “Where did you get this?” he asks. “It’s really nice.”

“I made it,” Kyung admits. “Well, actually Kim Kibum did most of the work for me. He’s much better at making this stuff than I am.”

Jiho frowns, turning the amulet over and over in his hand. “Does this have anything to do with that weird kid and his obsession with demons?”

For the billionth time, Kyung wishes that his best friend couldn’t read him so well. “Yes, but it’ll protect you. I know you don’t believe in this sort of thing, but I do, and it would make me feel so much better to know that you’re safe and-!”

“It’s fine,” Jiho interrupts him with a little smile, pinning the amulet onto his shirt. “Look, I may not believe in all that mumbo-jumbo stuff, but it means a lot to me that you care this much. I’ll never take it off. I swear.”

Kyung is so filled with relief that he almost leans across the table and connects their lips, but he stops himself in time. After all, he doesn’t want to cross that line into sin.

Kyung isn’t the only one looking to expand the Benandanti and the promise of protection from the demon. Sehun comes back to their room the following Friday with none other than Luhan.

“Hyung,” Junhong says in surprise, relieved to no longer be in his room alone. “What are you doing?” He then narrows his eyes in suspicion. “You guys aren’t going to make me leave so you can hump like rabbits, are you?”

Luhan blushes crimson but Sehun just says, “ off, Junhong. Could you be more of an idiot?” He rolls his eyes. “I told Luhan about the Benandanti. He wants to join. Think you could help me make another amulet?”

Junhong is pleased to have Luhan join their ranks. The elder is intelligent and loyal, and will probably make a fantastic addition to their group. “That’s great,” he says with genuine happiness. “But I don’t have any more supplies. You should go ask Kibum or Minwoo. I think they’ll be able to help you more than me.” Then he hops off his head. “Actually, I’ll go with you. I don’t want to be here alone anymore.”

“I bet you’re looking forward to the summer vacation,” Luhan teases as they walk down the corridor towards Minwoo’s room.

Junhong nods. “I booked the earliest train in the morning. It’s a long trip, but maybe I’ll manage to convince my aunt not to send me back.” He grimaces. “I doubt that’ll work though. It seems the whole universe is conspiring to keep me in this hole.”

True to his word, he is up before dawn the following morning. It’s not hard to wake up, seeing as how he hasn’t really slept anyway. He leaves Sehun sleeping and takes his bag, exiting the castle. It feels as though a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders as he steps through the main gate and out onto the street.

He raises his hand to catch a taxi to the train station. It’ll be three whole weeks before he’s back again, and the prospect of nearly a month without worrying about the demon is enough to put a spring in his step.