.23.

Believe Only Half of What You See and Nothing That You Hear - indefinite hiatus

Yookwon is grinning like an idiot. He knows this and yet the grin on his face remains perfectly in place. In fact, his cheeks hurt because he’s smiling so broadly.

“You’re sort of creeping me out, bro,” Junhong says, giving him a flat look. It’s their seventh period Philosophy class and, even though they’re supposed to be doing their worksheets together, Yookwon has done nothing but stare across the room since Mr. Cha had handed the papers out fifteen minutes ago.

Yookwon laughs and cards his fingers through his hair, still grinning. “Sorry, can’t help it. I got partnered with Minhyuk for the next project.”

Junhong glances over his shoulder at the boy in question. He’s only got this one class with Minhyuk, and so they don’t know each other very well. In fact, Junhong doesn’t think they’ve ever even spoken to each other. All he knows is that Minhyuk is good looking in a predictable sort of way and he’s supposed to be pretty smart.

He shrugs. “Good for you?”

Yookown laughs and sprawls out over the worksheets he’s supposed to be completing. Thus far he hasn’t written down a single answer and it’s only ten minutes until the bell signaling the end of class. “Just wait until you get a crush on someone, Junhonggie,” he says. “I’m never going to let you live it down.”

Junhong blushes a little and hunches over his paper a little more. “That’ll never happen,” he grumbles.

But of course by then Yookwon’s interest is piqued. “Wait, wait,” he says, grinning even more broadly now. “Why does it sound like there’s already someone you’ve got a crush on?”

Junhong is definitely blushing now. “I don’t have a crush on anybody,” he grumbles.

“You are such a ty liar,” Yookwon laughs. “Oh my god, how did I not know you’ve got a crush on somebody! Is he a first year? Second year? Or are you even crushing on a senior?”         

Junhong’s blush is answer enough.

“It’s a third year?!” Yookwon practically crows. “Way to go, man! Set your sights high!”

“Mr. Kim, I believe you’re getting a little distracted from our assignment.” It’s Mr. Cha, appearing directly behind them and looking not at all amused. “From the sound of your chatting, I expect you’ve finished your assignment.”

Yookwon blushes at being caught. “Ugh, not exactly…”

Even though he tries to shield his blank paper from the teacher, Mr. Cha snatches it away easily. He clucks his tongue when he sees Yookwon’s lack of progress. “Not a single answer, Mr. Kim?” he says in mock disappointment. “Perhaps you’d be able to focus more in detention.”

Yookwon sighs heavily. “No, Mr. Cha. I can finish it now.”

“I certainly hope so,” Mr. Cha says nastily. “If you haven’t finished by the end of class, with all the right answers, I’m sending you to detention.”

“He’s such a nasty old miser,” Yookwon groans under his breath, running his fingers through his hair again. “I’m never going to get through all these questions in ten minutes. Dongwoo and Luhan are going to kill me for missing dance rehearsal…”

“You need to learn to keep your big mouth closed,” Junhong says smugly, shifting his paper the slightest bit so Yookwon can see his answers; he can’t guarantee that they’re correct, but at least they’re answers.

Yookwon makes a face at him but hurriedly scribbles down the answer he’s written.

When the bell rings, Mr. Cha is waiting at the door to the classroom to collect Yookwon’s paper and make sure all the answers are right. He scans each question briefly, and he seems almost disappointed when he hands it back. “Good work,” he says begrudgingly. “I guess I won’t be seeing you in detention after all.”

Yookwon’s grin is back as he saunters out of the Philosophy classroom; it always feels good to best a teacher, even if he did it by copying Junhong’s answers. His smile falters a little when he sees who is waiting for him outside the classroom, however.

“O-oh, Minhyuk,” he says in surprise, feeling his heart pounding all of a sudden.

Minhyuk is smiling shyly. “So did that old bat give you detention?”

Yookwon shakes his head proudly. “Nope. I got all the questions right.”

Minhyuk smiles again, and Yookwon is quite convinced that Minhyuk’s smile might be the death of him. “That’s really great! So, if you don’t have detention, do you want to get together to work on our project today? I mean, I know you’ve probably got rehearsal for dance club, but we can maybe get some work done before you have to go?”

“That sounds really good-” Yookwon begins, but then he stops. “Wait, how did you know I’m in the dance club?”

Now it’s Minhyuk’s time to blush crimson and he shifts uncomfortably. “O-oh, I just…I-I’m pretty observant most of the time a-and you know…I should probably get going…Don’t want to be late for eighth period…” And he turns and escapes before Yookwon can even get another word in.

Yookwon is late to his next class, but honestly he doesn’t care. He’s on cloud nine again and he can’t wait for his study date later that evening.