.22.

Believe Only Half of What You See and Nothing That You Hear - indefinite hiatus

Sehun’s heart is pounding and it has nothing to do with the fact that they’ve just finished up another dance rehearsal. It’s not the physical activity that’s got his heart racing; he hasn’t spoken to Luhan since the party the other night when his crush oh-so-blatantly brushed him off and he’s determined to fix that. He wipes his sweaty palms on his sweatpants and approaches the little group in the corner, where Luhan is talking and laughing with Dongwoo and Yixing.

“Uh, Luhan?” Sehun says uncertainly, and all three of them turn to look at him. He hopes he’s not imagining it, but Luhan suddenly looks guarded. “Can I talk to you for a second?”

Dongwoo claps Luhan on the shoulder and promises they’ll chat again soon, and then he and Yixing are gathering their belongings and following the rest of the dance club members out of the studio.

Luhan forces a smile onto his face that seems more than a little strained. Sehun tries in vain not to let it make him even more nervous. “Was there something you needed, Sehun-ah?”

Sehun wets his lips nervously with the tip of his tongue. “I was, um, wondering if you wanted to practice with me sometime this weekend? I really enjoyed our practice session the other day, and I know you said something about wanting to practice together so I was thinking…”

“Sorry, but I’m busy all weekend,” Luhan says quickly – way too quickly in Sehun’s opinion. “My coursework is really difficult and all, so I don’t think I’m going to have time to hang out any time soon. Sorry.” He flashes a smile that is more nervous than apologetic and then he scurries out of the dance studio after his friends.

“It’s official,” Sehun announces miserably to Junhong as they walk back to their room together. “Luhan is avoiding me. Pure and simple.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Sehun.” Junhong rolls his eyes. “Luhan is your friend. Why would he be avoiding you?”

“Hell if I know,” Sehun grumbles. “But you should’ve seen him tonight after dance, Junhong. He practically ran in the other direction. I don’t know what I’ve done to get on his bad side, but he most definitely doesn’t want to hang out with me anymore. Probably ever.”

“You’re being dramatic,” Junhong insists, but Sehun knows otherwise. He’s done something. Of course he has. Getting the guy of his dreams couldn’t be easy.

He’s still moping about it the following morning.

Junhong, who still hasn’t been able to sleep properly in his dorm room, is exhausted and not really ready to deal with his romantic problems. “ it up, bro,” Junhong mutters brusquely before heading out of the room, leaving Sehun still in bed even though class is in less than an hour.

He doesn’t mean to be an , he really doesn’t. He’s come to consider Sehun a good friend in the weeks since he’s come to Peritia – probably his best friend – and, though he doesn’t really get the whole unrequited love thing, he wants to be supportive. It’s just hard to be supportive when you haven’t slept in what seems like weeks.

He’s contemplating turning around and going back to his room to apologize to Sehun for his short answer when he’s suddenly pushed from behind. But it’s much more than a push, Junhong realizes as his feet leave the ground. He lets out a wild shriek as he connects the stairs, feeling the hard stone edge of one bite into his side. He knows instantly that he’s going to have one hell of a bruise.

When he finally comes to a stop, chest heaving and body aching, he finds himself at the feet of none other than Yongguk.

The third year looks down at him with an expression half-exasperated and half-worried. “Dude, you are like the clumsiest kid in the world. You’re going to get yourself killed if you’re not careful.”

Junhong shakily accepts the hand Yongguk offers to help him up. His legs are trembling and his head is spinning. He thinks for a moment about telling Yongguk that he didn’t trip, he was pushed, but he doubts the elder will believe him. Nobody seems to believe him about all the strange things going on at Peritia.

“I’m just tired,” he lies, running a trembling hand through his messy hair. “Maybe I’ll just go back to my room and skip classes today.”

Yongguk looks genuinely worried. “Yeah, that might be a good idea.”

Junhong’s head is spinning as he returns to the room he shares with Sehun. He knows that he didn’t just trip. There is definitely something targeting him.

Sehun hasn’t moved from his bed when Junhong returns, but he looks up in some surprise. “What are you doing back here?” he demands.

All thoughts of his apology have been forced out of Junhong’s mind. “I’m skipping class today,” he mutters, loosening his tie and pulling it over his head.

Again?” Sehun demands incredulously. “Dude, it’s a wonder you haven’t been expelled already. You’ve been skipping an awful lot lately.” He in his breath as Junhong shrugs out of his button-up uniform shirt. “Holy , dude! What the hell happened to your back?”

Junhong jerks his head up. “What?” he demands. “What’s wrong with my back?”

“There’s ing handprints there!” Sehun exclaims, throwing back the covers and jumping out of bed. “Like they’ve been burned into your skin or something? What the hell happened?”

Instead of answering, Junhong runs into the bathroom and tries to see his back in the mirror. Unable to do so, he grabs a hand mirror and tries to find the reflection in the reflection. Finally, he sees what Sehun was talking about. There are two very distinct handprints in the middle of his back, bright red with raised edges, almost as if he had been burned.

Sehun has followed him into the bathroom, and his eyes are wide and almost frightened. “Junhong, what the is going on?”

Junhong’s gaze narrows. “Something really bad.”