018

The Frozen Heart

 

A headache. Suho was definitely struggling with the sudden pain in his head right after the charity event since the orphanage had begun. He knew well what had given him the sudden headache. Jung Yoonmi. Why didn’t Yoonmi just tell him about her twin? Didn’t she say that she loved her twin more than everything before? If she really did love her, why did Yoonmi seem to avoid talking about her twin? Was she hiding something from him? Just by thinking about those unanswered questions was already enough to make such a big mess in Suho’s mind.

Suho sat on a wooden chair that faced orphanage playground. He ruffled his hair before his eyes landed on the exciting scene right in front of his eyes. Running here and there while laughing cheerfully on the playground were Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun and a few kids while Kyungsoo stood at the side of the playground with Eunmi, who was in charged in taking pictures of the event.

They all seemed to have such an enjoyable time playing with the kids who had been the residents of the orphanage for quite a while. But Suho was the only one who seemed to be not enjoying the event as he had done so before. Yoonmi was definitely conquering his mind at that very moment and he couldn’t do anything about that either. His curiosity had made him unable to control his own mind and thoughts.

“Her twin…” he mumbled in silent as he closed her eyes before they suddenly widened. He did remember something! He finally did! The picture that he found in Yoonmi’s notebook and also the notebook itself, she did wrote someone’s name in the notebook and there was even a picture of her with another girl that he didn’t know who could it be, but now Suho pretty sure that that girl must be her twin, her beloved twin!

‘Kim Suho… Calm down and try to remember that girl’s name that was written in that book slowly and you’ll find her much sooner! You’re not that old to be so forgetful, use your brain!’ He tried to remember the name and forced his mind to recall the name and the girl’s face but nothing worked as he wished. Everything was too vague! He couldn’t even remember a word, and that made him regret for only paying attention to Jung Yoonmi when he stared at the picture and her inner thoughts and conflicts when he secretly read her writing in the notebook. How come he couldn’t remember the name at all? He should’ve paid more attention to other small details that were related to her, especially someone that she obviously stated in the notebook and also in the picture as the person whom she treasured the most.

He had tried hard to remember when his attentions were distracted by a jolly ringing laugh. The voice was so clear and worry-free that his former curiosity was replaced by a new one. He was wondering about the owner of that voice. Who could she or he be? On the playground, Eunmi was chasing after the kids that were playing hide and seek as they tried to avoid the beautiful photographer. Even though she was wearing a flowery sky blue long dress, Eunmi didn’t have any trouble chasing the kids and snapshot their bright smiles. In fact, it was dazzling and graceful when her dress fluttered, as if she was a butterfly, when she was running around the playground. Suho was mesmerised for a split second.

‘I wonder... if Yoonmi would ever make that kind of expression...’ He mumbled as he stared blankly at Eunmi. His imagination was running wild as he thought up a scene where Yoonmi laughed heartily and happily. His heart raced faster and it wished that would become a reality. She would be shine brightly like the sun in his heart.

“Suho Sunbae?” Eunmi asked, slightly bending her body to match Suho’s line of sight.

“Uh! Ye-Yes?” He stammered awkwardly before he gave Eunmi some space to sit next to him. He didn’t realise that she had advanced toward him while his mind was busy imagining all sorts of situation that might never come true.

“Are you okay? You look tired ever since we got here a few hours ago. Is everything alright?” Eunmi asked in concern as she handed him a bottle of energy drink. She had sneakily glanced at Suho before and noticed that he looked troubled and anxious. She didn’t have the courage to approach him as she didn’t want to be nosy but his intense stare had given her the courage. She thought that she had finally left a deep impression in his mind... Or at least, she believed she had.

“No! I mean… Nothing. Everything’s good. Thank you for the drink, I do feel a bit thirsty, actually. You’ve come at the right time, like an angel!” Suho opened the bottle cap and took a few gulps hastily as he tilted his head toward her with a big smile on his face but Eunmi could sense that Suho was actually faking his smile to make her feel good. That was not the smile that she hoped she’d see, she was expecting something sincere from him but then Eunmi realized she was not someone special in his eyes, yet. She knew that and she hated that but, she needed to accept that fact. She was just an acquaintance. However, she believed that she would be able to change him, make him fall in love with her. All she needed to do was try harder to catch his attention; to dazzl him with her charming, bright personality that he might hasn’t seen in some other girls that he knew.

 “How’s your task?” Suho asked and glanced at DSLR camera hung around Eunmi’s neck.

“Oh, I took plenty of pictures already and I’m going to take some more after this. Do you want to take a look on them?” Eunmi smiled radiantly. She loved the kids. They were like angels and they reminded her of the old childhood memories that she had with Yoonmi.

“It’s alright; I’ll just do it once we get back to our meeting room.” Suho refused softly and Eunmi nodded disappointedly. She really wanted to show him her hard work but Suho didn’t seem interested to even glance at the pictures she took.

“Jung Eunmi! Kim Suho or should I just call you Kim Junmyeon?! Come and join us, what are both of you doing there? This is not the right time to date, you love birds! We’re supposed to have fun today, the kids are waiting!” Chanyeol suddenly yelled mischievously from the middle of the playground, which surprised both Eunmi and Suho. Suho was about to yell back at Chanyeol but he couldn’t do that when Chanyeol walked away impassively and joined the other kids to play. Suho shook his head, a bit annoyed with Chanyeol while Eunmi laughed at his naughtiness.

‘Jung Eunmi… Eunmi…wait, Eun-Eunmi? Jung Eunmi?!’ Suho’s eyes widened all of a sudden and realized something that he should’ve realized sooner. Jung Eunmi; that name just made him remember Jung Yoonmi when Chanyeol called out her name loudly. Their surnames were the same and even their first names were almost the same, how could he didn’t even realized that earlier? Things couldn't be that simple could it? And Suho just tried his luck, thinking that he’d met her twin in an instant, there were so many things that he wanted to ask to Yoonmi’s twin if he happened to meet her and he really hoped that he already did.

“Eunmi-ah… Is it alright if I ask you something?”

“Sure, of course I don’t mind! Go ahead.” She really wanted to smile, showing her inner feelings even though it was nothing but seeing Suho’s serious expression that made Eunmi remained calm. His eyes meticulously examined every inch of her face which made Eunmi slightly flustered and awkward.

“Do you happened to have a twi-”

“Suho hyung.”

“What is it?!” Suho gritted his teeth and glared at the owner of the voice who appeared at the wrong time and that what made him felt slightly annoyed and irritated. It was Sehun this time. He stood right in front of Suho and Eunmi with poker face.

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked and ignored Suho’s deathly glare.

“I’m hunting zebras! Seriously, where did you come from all of sudden?” Suho replied sarcastically while Eunmi was tried hard to not to laugh at Suho’s answer.

“Hyung, you shouldn’t ask me that question. Isn’t the answer is too obvious?”

“Why?”

“Where do you think Prince Sehun comes from? Prince Sehun comes from a fairytale!”

“Gosh, you only learn bad things from Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Do you want to get hit?” Suho snorted.

“You’re just jealous!”

“I don’t know why people assume you're jealous of everything you hate. I hate spiders that don’t mean I’m jealous they have eight legs and eat flies. Now, what the heck do you want?!”

Eunmi couldn’t contain her laughter and ended up letting out a soft chuckle. Their childish arguments really got her but Eunmi immediately controlled her expression when Sehun and Suho gazed at her at the same time before their childish arguments continued.

“Woo... It’s been a while since I saw the sarcastic Kim Junmyeon. Congratulations for your comeback, anyway! Ah, even though I feel so bad, in brackets as if I did...” Sehun laughed mockingly before he added. “I feel so bad but hyung you have to stop hunting for now because we have to proceed with our next event right now, the kids are already waiting. Quick, before Kyungsoo hyung starts nagging us for being late. Let’s just start the activity now. Jung Eunmi, shall we go together?”

“Okay.” Eunmi finally nodded and followed Sehun fast steps heading toward the orphanage and Suho appeared five minutes later.

 

 

It was time to re-paint the walls inside the orphanage with the kids. As they had planned before, Suho and his friends wanted to give a new vibrant vibe to the place with the kids’ own colors so that their rooms would be unique. When they stepped into the orphanage, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, the kids and a few orphanage staff had already started painting while a few of them were busy drawing some murals on the wall.

“I want to paint a rainbow!” A kid excitedly shouted as he dipped a brush into the red paint bucket. When Eunmi saw that, she chuckled at the liveliness but she also noticed another kid was sitting at a corner, fidgeting with her fingers.

“Don’t you have anything you want to paint?” Eunmi asked as she squatted down and looked into the kid’s eyes before the kid shook her head in hesitation. “Are you sure? I’m sure whatever you’re having in mind will turn out really pretty. I really want to see it; can you paint it out for me? As a favor?” Eunmi gently smiled, she knew that the kid had something she wanted to paint, and it was just that something was stopping her.

“But... I can’t draw... My drawings are always terrible...” The kid mumbled, embarrassed.

“It’s alright. I’m sure you can do a much better job than me. Look here.” Eunmi drew a chicken, a horrible looking one which caused the kid to laugh.

“See? I believe you can draw much better than this. Come on.” Eunmi grabbed the girl’s hand and dragged her over to the paint buckets and give her some brushes. Then, they both painted the white wall with flowers, birds and many other things. It turned out that Eunmi was really terrible at drawing that the other girl had to fix some of her work. But Eunmi didn’t mind, she was happy that everyone was enjoying their time.

In the other corner, Suho was once again caught up in his own imagination. He was thinking of how Yoonmi would be if she was the one doing the painting. It would be amazing, to see Yoonmi caring for someone, not to mention, the thought of Yoonmi looking after a kid made Suho think about having his own kids. Somehow, Eunmi gave out a very familiar feeling that resembled Yoonmi even though their personalities were clearly different. His cheeks burned as he glanced at Eunmi, who was lifting a kid up to do a palm-print. However, she struggled as the kid was quite heavy so Suho walked toward them and planned to help her out.

"l’ll lift him up.” Suho smiled as he offered his hands. The walls that once were plain white, now had been transformed into a picture of many efforts.

“Suho Oppa!”

Suho and Eunmi quickly turned their head from the walls and looked at the door’s direction. A silhouette of a little girl poked in at the doorway.

“My little princess, Jihye-ah!” Suho exclaimed, frantically opening his arms toward the little girl. Suho hadn’t seen her when his friends and he came before and he was told by the orphanage staff that Jihye was taken to hospital to have her weekly medical check-up.

“Oppa! I missed you so much!” Jihye shouted excitedly and ran into Suho’s embrace before she gave him a kiss on his right cheek just like she always did whenever Suho came over.

“Oppa misses you too, princess! How was the check-up, you’re doing well aren’t you?”

“Of course, because I knew Oppa would come today. But oppa…” Jihye whined and she pouted her pale, adorable lips.

“Hmm?”

“Why do you always come here with a different girl lately? The last time you came, you brought that long haired Unnie with you and now you came with this short haired Unnie. Didn’t you promise me that you’d marry me when I grow up? Oppa… Seriously, how many girlfriends do you have?”

‘Girlfriend?’ Eunmi murmured, loud enough for her alone to hear and low enough for Suho and Jihye to not to notice. 

“Yah… Our Jihye is jealous, huh? Since you’ve mentioned that… Come closer and introduce yourself properly to this Unnie… Jihye is a well-mannered girl, right?”

Jihye nodded as she giggled aND MOVEDcloser toward Eunmi who stood stiffly by Suho’s side.

“Hello! My name is Shin Jihye and this year I’ve turned ten... And… Um, Oppa what else should I say?”

“Anything you want.”

“Uh… I’m ten years old and I’m… Uhm… I’m… I’m a girl!” Jihye exclaimed and smiled from ear to ear and thought that she had completed her self-introduction very well. Once she finished, Eunmi quickly introduced herself in a cheerful manner.

“Of course you’re a girl! You don’t have to say that, Jihye-ah.” Suho interrupted; already laughing at Jihye who had pouted sulkily.

As for Eunmi, just by seeing how close Jihye and Suho had made Eunmi curious about Suho’s real personality even more. The more she got to know him, the more she found him charming; she really couldn’t help it but to think that way though. Sometimes, she did feel like she made assumptions too quickly in regarding her own feelings but what else could she do when her heart began to like him even more asmore as time had passed by? How could she stop her blooming feelings?

“Unnie, do you have any chocolate with you? Can I have some?” Jihye asked.

“No, I don’t have any… I’ll bring some when I come again later, is that okay?” She said and softly pinched her cheeks with a big smile.

“Promise? Ah… Suho oppa didn’t even bring me any chocolate lately, the last time he came, he just brought that Unnie and even made that Unnie cry. Am I right, Oppa?”

“Yah, how did you know that? Did you see us? I thought you were playing with your friends.” Suho was quite uneasy with Jihye's sudden revelation about what had happened between Yoonmi before. He was getting worried that Eunmi might misinterpret him wrongly. Yoonmi did cry on that day but it wasn’t like he did it on purpose. Suho glanced at Eunmi who was playing with Jihye’s hair; there wasn’t any specific expression on her face, only a poker face.

“I saw you made her cry from the middle of the playground, Oppa... Why did you do that? You shouldn’t make a girl cry, you know? Otherwise, you’ll be a bad person and I won’t love you anymore.”

“Aish… Alright, alright, I won’t make anybody cry anymore. I’ll listen to Jihye and be a good person so that Shin Jihye will love Suho Oppa forever, okay?” Suho said and Jihye nodded and clapped her hand excitedly before she added.

“Yeay! I know oppa will listen to me. Eunmi Unnie, you don’t have to worry anymore because oppa will never make you cry like what he did to that Rapunzel unnie!”

“Uh? Ah…Ye-Yes, I-I guess so.” Eunmi replied in confusion.

“Rapunzel Unnie?” Suho raised his eyebrows and narrowed his gaze toward the grinning Jihye and confused Eunmi.

“Oh, since I don’t know that Unnie’s name, I’ll just call her Rapunzel Unnie… Oppa, didn’t you realize that her hair looks like Rapunzel, the one in the storybook that you bought for me? Long, black and very pretty, not like mine… I think I’ll lose all my hair before I grow up. The doctor said that my hair will be gone if I refused to take the medicine and attendthe weekly checkup. I cannot be Rapunzel… I cannot be pretty like Eunmi Unnie and Rapunzel Unnie…”

‘Rapunzel…I should start calling her that from now on, it sounds lovely and suits her somehow. Jihye is really good at giving people a nickname.’ Suho thought. “No, don’t say that! You’re pretty even if your hair doesn’t look like Rapunzel, you know that Oppa doesn’t like you speak about yourself that way right? No matter what, Jihye is always the prettiest in Oppa’s eyes!” Suho said and pat her back before he fixed the yellow beanie that she wore carefully. Her hair could be barely seen and Suho knew her hair would fall even more in the future because of the medicine and therapy

“Really? Suho Oppa is definitely the best!” Her gloomy face was gone in a second. Jihye immediately hugged Suho tightly before thet both laughed at each other while Eunmi silently smiled at the side.

“Of course! Jihye-ah, if her hair looks like Rapunzel… how about Eunmi Unnie? Which fairytale character does she resemble? I’m curious how a little girl like you thinks.”

“Eunmi Unnie? Hmmm… Let me think.” Jihye paused and examinedEunmi from head to toe as she thought hard to answer Suho’s question. Her eyes met Eunmi’s; she knew Eunmi must be curious about her answer too but… Which character resembled Eunmi? She couldn’t really remember if Suho had bought her any fairytale storybooks with short-haired princess or character in it.

“Jihye-ah, you don’t have to answer that. Unnie doesn’t look like any fairytale character, right? It’s alright; don’t burden your mind with his question.” Eunmi interrupted as she glanced at Suho before getting back to Jihye and noticed that Jihye had been thinking hard for quite awhile to answer him.

“Sorry Unnie, I can't remember any. But Unnie, you’re also pretty and I like you.”

“Really? When I come again next time… Do you want play with Eunmi Unnie? I’ll bring more storybooks and chocolates, especially for Jihye!’”

“I’d love to! Unnie, since I like you I don’t mind sharing Suho Oppa with you but promise me that you won’t take him away from me.”

“Huh?” Eunmi was dumbfounded by Jihye's words.

“Yah, Shin Jihye… What are you talking about?” Suho muttered but he was completely ignored by Jihye. She was more interested to ask Eunmi to make a pinky promise with her.

“Unnie, promise me?” She repeated and left Eunmi with no choice but to agree with her. Eunmi nodded hesitantly and eventually reached out her finger and made a pinky promise with her even though she didn’t know what that was for.

“This kid, aish… Eunmi-ah… Don’t mind her, she’s always being like this…” Suho whispered in silence to Eunmi only to hear another whine from Jihye.

“Oppa…”       

“Jihye-ah, look over there; Chanyeol Oppa and Sehun Oppa are calling for you! Why don’t you go and play with them?” Suho said excitedly. Jihye immediately rushed out of the room as Sehun were indeed calling loudly for Jihye from outside. Suho was thankful to Sehun and Chanyeol for a second; at least that would stop Jihye from revealing evrything to Eunmi.

The day was reaching its conclusion and it seemed like everyone had a really good time, especially the kids. They were just so happy. At the end of the day, everyone in the photography club was dead tired but Eunmi’s mind was still actively processing something. She was thinking about the glances, secretly and not-so-secretly, that Suho had been throwing at her all day. There were times that he was practically staring at her with blushing cheeks. She wondered if that meant that Suho also had feelings for her, if that was the case, it would be best if she confessed. After all, she was the straight-forward type of girl. With some determination and courage, Eunmi tried to start a conversation with Suho on their way back to the university.

With only Suho and her in the car had made Eunmi’s heart more at ease. As if he could read what’s in her mind, Eunmi was thankful to Chanyeol who strongly insisted to ask Suho to give Eunmi a ride while Chanyeol, Sehun, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo ride a different car drove by Chanyeol.

“Sunbae…”

“Yes?”

“What is your ideal type?” Eunmi asked boldly.

“Ideal type? Why did you ask... Out of the blue?”

“Just… I’m just curious. Don’t say that you don’t have any. I’m not going to believe that, though.”

“Uh… My ideal type… A pale girl with long black hair… With a pair of shining hazel brown eyes, huggable, I mean not too tall, 164.5 centimeters sound prefect. What else, oh…Wait! A girl whose her face would easily blushed when she’s shy or nervous, how cute!” Suho grinned; already feeling happy just by imagining it.

“Sunbae, are you talking about someone?”

“A-Am I?” Suho stammered, realizing that he was actually describing Yoonmi when they were on their first date.

“The way you’re describing your ideal type vividly, you sounded like you’re describing someone. Do you really have someone in your mind, Sunbae?”

“Er… How about you, Eunmi? I mean your ideal type. Maybe someone humorous like Chanyeol?” Suho tried to avoid her question by shooting another question to her.

“No.” Eunmi replied shortly before letting out a heavy sigh and wondered who the girl that Suho had made her cry is. Was she his girlfriend? Were they having a fight back then and was that what made that girl cry? Eunmi really wanted to ask those questions to Suho and released the suffocating feelings but she couldn’t; everything was stuck in .

“Then?” Suho raised his eyebrows.

“Someone like you, Sunbae.”

“Me?”

“You.” Eunmi answered with stern expression, looking straight into Suho eyes before Suho suddenly busted into laughter.

“You must be kidding!”

“I’m not.”

“No, you’re just kidding! Congratulations because you managed to make me laugh, Eunmi.” Suho said after his laugh subsided.

 “Sunbae... Who was that Rapunzel girl?”

“Er... Let’s not talk about it, shall we? Look, we’re almost there! Ah, do you want me to send you home instead, or do you want to eat something? I'll bring you to my favorite restaurant, you should try their waffles you know? It tastes like heaven!” Suho asked caringly; and turned his head toward Eunmi as if Eunmi had never mentioned anything about his ‘Rapunzel girl’ before fixing his gaze back to the busy road.

‘I’m saying the truth...I haven’t confess my true feelings yet but you’re already building a wall to prevent me coming closer. Sunbae, I couldn’t guarantee that I won’t fall for you hard, that I won’t like you more that how I’m supposed to. What am I to you? Before we both regret it, before I fall for you even harder, and if you don’t want it to happen, please... Don’t... Be... Too...’ Her heart shouted. Eunmi looked down and refused to make eye contact with Suho.

“Sunbae...” Her voice trembled. She could feel the sudden pain in her heart.

“Huh?”

“Please... Don’t be too nice to me.”