010

The Frozen Heart

 

Silence. There was an unavoidable silence present.  Even though it was something that she should’ve known would happen the moment that he made his move and boldly sat beside her, she couldn’t bring herself to stay composed and adapt to it. Their meeting was never not awkward or solemn; those two elements were essential whenever they met, whether it was by coincidence or planned. She awkwardly glanced to the left and right, and sighed to herself before her gaze landed on a chair that was left empty by Hyejin who was in front of her fifteen minutes ago. Yoonmi didn’t know whether to be thankful to Hyejin for leaving her alone with him or getting upset at Hyejin for leaving her in such an unexpected meeting. She was confused, totally confused and dumbfounded.

“It’s awkward, isn’t it?" he asked, trying to suppress a smile but failed miserably while Yoonmi nodded hesitantly, unable to find her voice to respond. She was about to smile back at him sheepishly but she didn’t; it was too awkward for her to even smile or talk.  Yoonmi glanced at him but quickly turned away. She didn't want him to see her dumb and clueless reaction, but he did, and he would never forget it. In that brief glimpse, Suho could see what she was thinking behind that fixed stare.

“I like awkward moments. They're full of tension and suspense. Anything's possible or, at the very least, they are the source of some electric sizzle…” Suho added randomly as he tried hard to loosen up the atmosphere, but it only made the atmosphere more awkward than before. He somehow regretted it, but the regret  drifted away when Yoonmi suddenly spoke, looking straight at him with shaky eyes.

“I… Uhm… Er... Thank… You… And I’m sorry…”

“Thank you? What did I do right? And sorry? Uhmm… Am I supposed to say 'it’s alright'?” Suho asked, and raised his brows. His angelic smile never faded. It has became a habit - smiling while talking to someone, especially Yoonmi; she was special and one of a kind. Yoonmi lowered her head, calming herself down before she continued.

“I’m not sure how exactly am I suppose to say it, but I guess… I really need to. Letting go… moving on. Everyone talks about it like it's the easiest thing. ‘Unfurl your fingers one by one until your hand is open...’. But my hand had been clenched into a fist for three years now; it's frozen shut… It was frozen shut. Until that day when you forcefully brought me to the orphanage, all of your words, it never flew away from my mind… And I finally realized that I can't look back anymore. I just have to put the past behind me, and find something better in my future… Ao, I’d like to say thank you…”

Suho smiled even wider, feeling extremely happy and relief with Yoonmi’s words. He somehow already got what ‘thank you’ was supposed to mean.

“You’ve… Decided to move on?"

Yoonmi nodded gracefully. She smiled. It seemed so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushed through him and there it was again, that aching pressure in his chest. Love or a heart attack; it was kind of the same thing.

 ‘Oh, no! Don't smile. You'll kill me. I stop breathing when you smile!’ Suho’s heart screamed disapprovingly as he coughed awkwardly before his eyes were fixed on Yoonmi’s face who was still smiling mesmerizingly.

“And I should apologise to you earlier; I got angry and even yelled at you for trying to change my mind. You did it for my own good… I’m really sorry…”

“No, don’t be sorry because it was worth it for you to be angry and yell at me because  you finally moved on and thought about it thoroughly… It’s really good news for me, thank you for not hating me…” he replied and she smiled again, his soft heart was shaken mercilessly.

“You’re doing it again,” Suho said.

“Doing what?” Yoonmi asked and wondered if she had done something wrong.

“Melting my heart with your smile,” he said unknowingly.

“Huh?!” Yoonmi exclaimed, not sure if she had heard him right and her eyes widened.

“Uh?! Oh, I mean… Erm… Sorry, this kind of thinking… It’s supposed to remain in my mind but it just came out suddenly.” Suho spoke in a panicked tone, barely giving her an excuse. He rubbed the back of his neck shyly, and they both avoided eye contact. Suho suddenly extended his right hand and his eyes sparkled with a dumbfounded expression. Yoonmi stared at Suho’s face and his stiff hand right after that and silently asked Suho to explain further.

“Let’s start all over again. Let’s make it clean and meaningful this time.” Suho added and Yoonmi eventually grabbed his hand.

“My name is Suho.”

“Jung-Jung Yoonmi…” Yoonmi replied nervously.

“It’s nice to meet you, Jung Yoonmi-ssi.” He said. She nodded and gently pulled her hand free from his grasp before they smiled at each other warmly. Though there was nothing else for her to say, Yoonmi was about to bid farewell when Suho stopped her with a question; “We’ll meet again, right?”

“If you wish…”

“Anytime?”

“Ye-Yes…I guess so…”

Suho grinned at her answer and shy expression; it was undeniably adorable in his eyes. Only after her figure vanished from his sight, Suho returned to his friends, his juniors to be exact, who were sitting only a few steps away from his and Yoonmi’s table.

“Yah, kiddos! How do I look?” Suho asked excitedly, smiling from ear to ear like a child. He was too happy and there was no need to explain himself any further when his expression already showed it all. The moment when his eyes accidently caught her presence in that café earlier, it was enough to put butterflies in his stomach. It was the cold and expressionless face that he hadn’t seen for quite a long time. Suho thought that she’d actually begin to grow some hatred toward him after he barged in to her personal life, Suho decided to distance himself from her, and slightly gave up on her, but seeing her made his mind change in no time.

Fate had created another chance for them to meet and he was glad with that. The cold face that Suho saw before, was now full with smiles. Not the fake, forceful or bitter smile that he was used to, but a beautiful smile that was fascinating enough to make him dazed, stunned even.

“Idiot! Hyung, you looked like an idiot, so stop smiling that way. It freaks me out.” Sehun muttered with a rotten expression and took a sip of his drink while Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongin were already cracking up like a bunch of crazy toddlers.

“Yah, Mister Oh Yehet! How can you call your hyung idiot?!” Suho yelled and his smile disappeared in a blink of an eye. Because of Sehun, he did not feeling like smiling nor sharing his heart pounding story anymore, now he felt like hitting someone!

 

 

She looked up at the evening sky; it was gloomy a greyishc colour while snow fell nonstop. But that sorrowful looking sky would never manage to change or even affect Eunmi’s blooming mood. In her eyes, the snowflakes were like little angels dancing around to a jolly, light-hearted melody. She ruffled her hair carefully and tried to sweep the snow that fell  gently on her hair. Eunmi grinned and hummed to her favourite, cheerful song as her footsteps lightly brought her to the playground that was filled with snow. Eunmi pulled her DSLR camera closer, which was a gift from by Yoonmi as a Christmas present for the first time in the three past years. She looked around and she directed the camera lens toward the corner of the playground where three little kids were seen busily building a snowman and laughter accompanied them. She took a couple of snaps before she backed off and examined the photos. Eunmi smiled, satisfied with the photos she had taken.

That was all that she had done the entire day, going around with the camera in her hand and snapping the winter scenery to her heart's content. As she examined the pictures that she took earlier, she pouted when she realised that the winter season would drift away soon. It was such a meaningful season. It was more meaningful than before because of Yoonmi's positive decision, but this lovely season was not going to last long. Even so, Eunmi really hoped that Yoonmi’s change would last forever and not only be temporarily. That was why she took as many pictures of the winter scenery as possible. Memories can be forgotten, but with these pictures, she could always recall this special season, the time that Yoonmi had transformed into a much warmer, happier person.

“That’s enough for today…” Eunmi murmured and started to move away from the playground and headed back home with light steps. Once Eunmi reached home, she headed to Yoonmi’s room and peeked inside sneakily only to find that Yoonmi was contemplating something, looking outside the window and watched as the snow fell gracefully. 'What is Yoonmi thinking about?' she wondered curiously. Tip-toeing, Eunmi opened the door wide enough for her to sneak into the room and silently, she stood behind Yoonmi who was still unaware with her twin’s presence.

“Yoonmi-ah!” Eunmi shouted in a high pitched tone, and when Yoonmi turned to her, she quickly snapped a picture of Yoonmi who had a  surprised but hilarious expression. Eunmi chuckled. It was cute and funny at the same time. Eunmi eventually burst into laughter as she couldn't help herself anymore.

“Eunmi-yah… You scared me to death…” Yoonmi muttered and  furrowed her brows. She pouted and pretended to be sulk from Eunmi’s surprise attack. She was astonished with Eunmi's sudden appearance and the sudden flash light that came from the camera also freaked her out. Yoonmi thought the flash came from lightning just now, but apparently it wasn’t.

“Why, look! You look unbelievably hilarious here. This really is a piece of art! I’m gonna print this picture out as big as possible and hang it in our living room. Or… should I hang it at the doorstep instead?!”

“Yah... Jung Eunmi…” Yoonmi said with a stern tone which made Eunmi flinched.

“O-Okay… I’m just kidding. I mean, how can I do that to my beloved twin? But…Yoonmi-ah, I can keep this picture, right?”

Yoonmi smiled and nodded at the same time. She didn’t even care if Eunmi really did hang her picture at the doorstep if that could make Eunmi happy.

“Do you want to see the pictures that I’ve taken today?”

Without waiting for an answer from Yoonmi, Eunmi already grabbed Yoonmi's wrist and pulled her toward the bed and sat on the corner of it.

“Aren't they awesome?” Eunmi asked as they were still looking through the pictures. Yoonmi nodded again, acknlowledging Eunmi’s photography skills. She already knew that Eunmi was quite talented in photography, which was why she ended up spending her savings in buying Eunmi a camera as a Christmas present.

“You’re talented, as expected.”

“I know right? Your twin is such a talented person! Oh, I was thinking about joining a Photography Club at my university too, what do you think about it? Should I or…” Eunmi blinked a few times and really hoped that Yoonmi would help her to make a wise decision.

“Go ahead, I know that you’ll do well. Plus, it’ll be such a waste if you don't use your talent wisely. Unlike me, I don't have a special talent… I’m not a creative person, I don’t know how to play any music instruments… I don’t know how to take a picture beautifully, just like what you did.”

“Yah! Who the heck said you have no special talent? Tell me who is they are and I'll knock them down for you! You’re our family God of Cookery and yet you’re saying you have no special talent? What kind of nonsense is that?!”

“Is being good at cooking can be considered as a special talent too?” Yoonmi asked dumbly and Eunmi sighed.

“Aw… This kid! How can you be so ignorant? If it was me, I think our kitchen would be on fire already! Didn't you realise that was why our late mother only let you enter the kitchen and taught you how to cook when we were kids?”

“Uh… I see… If thats so, w-well… I guess I do have a special talent then…”

When she saw Yoonmi’s dumbfounded expression, Eunmi pinched her cheeks lightly before Yoonmi groaned in pain. In the end, they  laughed at each other. It suddenly went silent. They both obviously had something in their mind, but they both waited for a suitable moment to say it out.

“But… You know, Yoonmi-ah… I was wondering from a week ago, wh-what made you change your mind? To be honest, you were quite stubborn before… Are you by any chance?-”

“By any chance - what?”

“Oh, nothing!” Eunmi replied and teasesYoonmi mischievously. 'Yoonmi must be feeling extremely anxious with my incomplete sentence', Eunmi thought and she was enjoying her anxious facade silently.

“Oh… Why… Why… What is it?”

“Uhmm… Well, I was just wondering…. If there was any particular person that managed to change your heart and of course your mind too. To be honest… I don’t think it was me, since I’ve been tried for three years already but it never worked. You know that there are some people in life that make you laugh a little louder, smile a little brighter, and just live a little better. I’m pretty sure there’s someone like that that has appeared in your life, right? So… Who is it?”

“Uh… Erm…” Yoonmi stammered, not knowing if she should tell her the truth of not. Automatically, Suho’s face appeared in her mind. Was he really the one who made her decide to move on? He was, she knew it but telling someone how she felt was honestly the hardest thing for her to do. She wasn’t someone that would share her inner thoughts easily, especially when it was something that even she herself wasn’t sure enough about. One more thing that Yoonmi wondered, why was everyone so curious about who was responsible for her change? Why couldn’t they just consider that she had changed because she herself wanted it to happen? When someone asked her about her sudden change, it always ended up leaving her in such an unpleasantly awkward situation.“Uh, Y-Yes…”

“Yah! What kind of answer is that? ‘Yes’? What do you mean by that? Just tell me already, we’re siblings after all! Are you trying to hide something from me? Jung Yoonmi?”

“Uh, well…it’s a ‘yes’ for your random theory earlier… I suppose…”

“Oh. My. God! Do you have a boyfriend?! Already?!” Eunmi freaked out as she frantically stood up.

“No!”

“Then what? Do you actually like him?” Eunmi narrowed her eyes at Yoonmi, who was stiff. This time, she couldn’t really answer Eunmi's question. Yoonmi's heart was suddenly pounding, she was getting nervous because of Eunmi's blunt guess. She looked away, avoiding  eye contact with Eunmi while her mind began to whisper desperately.

‘D-Do I?’