The Game

Beside You

The whole school was excited that it was finally Friday. The juniors and seniors could look at their eyecandy without waiting to hopefully get to see them. Hyeri was lucky that Daehyun was in the same class with her, making things so much easier for her. 

It was the Quarter-Finals round where only 12 classes would be able to make it through to the next round. Opponents were assigned randomly, not even considering the fact of the betweent the juniors and the seniors. 

Hyeri's class first match was an easy one, the opposing class was two years younger than them. During this match, Hyeri took the opportunity to within three metre range from Daehyun. She didn't notice that she was that close to Daehyun. She assumed that she wanted Daehyun to pass her the ball though Daehyun was really focused in the game, he passed the ball to the right people. Without even perspiring much, Hyeri's class won by seven goals. They didn't want to make the opposing team lose too badly and so they just passed the ball till the time was up.

The next match however, was with a class of a similar standard.

"Okay Hyeri, since you're a girl, they'll probably show you some face if you're the one holding the ball. Oh! You can distract them by flirting with them! If all else fails, just fall in front of them! Make it look like they tripped you okay!" Daehyun joked. Hyeri's classmates including herself laughed at his joke. She wasn't offended, if anything, she was a little happy that he used her name instead of the other girl on the team. 'We're probably closer.' Hyeri thought and smiled inwardly though she was slightly embarrassed when he talked about her flirting with other guys. She knew Daehyun wouldn't expect her to really fall. He wouldn't resort to such low tricks. It was all just for laughs to relax before a tough match.

Soon, the match started but it wasn't going too well. Hyeri's class were lacking three goals. Hyeri wanted to do her part for the team and so she started to get her head in the game. She ran and called out for her team mates to pass the ball to her whenever she was strategically positioned and most of the time, she was lucky she was able to catch the ball. There were two more minutes left and Hyeri's class was still short of two more goals. She ran with all her might, trying to catch the ball and BAM! She collided onto one of the opponent's back and she fell on her . The guy however, ignored her fall and carried on with the game. What an .

"HYERI! ARE YOU OKAY?!" Baekhyun shouted after witnessing the fall. He rushed towards her, ignoring the referee's whistle.

"I'm okay, I'm okay. It's just a knock." Hyeri was embarrassed that many had witnessed the fall. Baekhyun helped her up.

"Can you walk?" He asked, voice filled with concern.

"I think so." She replied. How wrong she was.

"Oww!" She yelled, attracting unwanted attention upon herself.

"I think I sprained my ankle..." She replied with a slight pout.

"Swap players!" Baekhyun called out. Another girl who was a reserved, stepped into the court while Baekhyun helped her out of the court. The game resumed.

"Didn't you know Daehyun was joking? He didn't mean you had to fall flat on your ! Not only did the guy didn't stop the game, you even sprained your ankle! This is so not worth it!" Baekhyun nagged at Hyeri.

"I know! I didn't see him, I didn't fall because of Daehyun's words! I really just fell!" Hyeri defended herself.

"Alright, you just fell. So clumsy." Baekhyun said while helping her towards the office where there would be teachers who know what to do with her sprained ankle.

"Wow, your foot looks really swollen!" Baekhyun exclaimed when Hyeri removed her shoes and socks, showing their gym teacher.

"No worries, it's just a minor sprain. Rest your ankle for a few weeks and it will recover." The teacher said. 

"How is it minor?! It's obviously a serious sprain! See how red her ankle is?!" Baekhyun was really overreacting. The teacher stared at him, amused.

"Shut up Baek. Thank you teacher." Hyeri slapped Baekhyun playfully on his arm and bowed slightly towards the teacher. 

"Where are you going?" Baekhyun asked.

"Watch the game!" Hyeri said. Knowing how stubborn Hyeri was, he could only help her towards the court.

Hyeri looked around, looking at the players in the court. They were no longer her classmates. The game had ended.

"How was the game?" Hyeri asked Daehyun the moment she spotted him seated.

", we lost." Daehyun said with disappointment overflowing from his tone. Hyeri didn't know why Daehyun was this affected. It was merely a game. 

"Cheer up~ Don't be too sad." Hyeri tried comforting Daehyun. 

"Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow." Daehyun said as he picked up his bag and ran off. That was fast.

"Come on, I'll help you out. I need to get home soon." Baekhyun said. It seemed like Hyeri didn't catch what he said because he had no response.

"Hello~ Hyeri!" Baekhyun waved his palm in front of her. 

"Yeah? What did you say?" Hyeri asked.

"I'll help you out, you get a cab and head home to rest." He said. Hyeri nodded and followed him out, not in the mood.

 

Hyeri went home feeling moody. Even after eating her favourite snack, she was still not feeling too good. She felt... sad.

Was she thinking too much? Does Daehyun really not care about her that he can't even ask her if her foot was okay? Even ordinary friends would ask and check if you were fine even if it's out of politeness. He did not even mention a single thing about her ankle. All he did was run off. HE RAN OFF!

"Stupid Hyeri. Who are you to him? You're not even his girl, why must he even be bothered about your sprain?" Hyeri talked to herself and accidentally slapped her ankle. She groaned. She then sleep the upset feeling off. She hoped sleeping would help her feel better.

 

A few hours later, Hyeri woke up from her 'nap' and checked her phone immediately, having that small glimmer of hope that someone actually cared for her and she was grinning from ear to ear when she saw his name appeared on the screen.

How's your ankle? - Daehyun

It'll get better I guess! Thanks for the concern! How did you know? - Hyeri 

Hyeri didn't tell him about her ankle. She wondered how he knew.

I saw you limping like a one-legged bird. - Daehyun 

Hahaha. That sounds scary. - Hyeri

Rest your ankle, ice it and elevate it. It might help. - Daehyun

I trust your words because? HA. - Hyeri

Hyeri couldn't wipe that smile off her face. He cared! He cared for her!

Because I've experienced it before! That's what my doctor told me. I'm assuming you didn't visit one? - Daehyun

Yeah, it's just a minor sprain! I'll be good in no time! - Hyeri 

Rest well you one legged bird. - Daehyun

 

Hyeri couldn't stop rereading his text messages. Knowing how sweet Daehyun was, she fell even deeper for him. What happened during the game? Who helped her? Who was there for her? She couldn't remember. All that was in her mind was Daehyun, Daehyun and even more Daehyun.

 

Finally up after almost three months! I'm so sorry, I didn't know where this was heading to and had lost all motivation to update. Thank you all for the encouraging comments! Your comments mean a whole lot to me! Hopefully I'll have the mood to update this more often!