Gym

Beside You

Hyeri couldn't stop thinking about this one person in her head. When she was eating, she wondered if he had already taken his dinner. When she was doing her homework, she wondered if he was doing his as well or was he gonna heck care and not do any. When she saw or heard something funny, or tasted something good, she couldn't wait to go to school the next day to share with him (Hyeri wasn't the type that looked forward to school). Especially food, she knows apart from BAP and soccer, he has always loved food. That guy could eat a ton of whatever and not put on weight, how lucky.

Hyeri wouldn't consider them as close friends. In fact, she didn't know at what sort of level their friendship was if friendship had a level. They talked, yes, but they were also awkward when they were left alone with each other. Just like that day when the two had to walk to the fast food restaurant to join their friends. Hyeri tried to strike a conversation with Daehyun while walking but she was afraid that she would dig too much into his personal life and he wouldn't be comfortable with it. Yes, she cared about him to that extent of considering his feelings. Whenever Hyeri wanted to ask him something, she would rehearse in her mind like a thousand times before actually saying it out. That was how important this friendship was to her. She didn't want to end up saying the wrong things. Hyeri tends to overthink stuff. Maybe Daehyun was the more open type where he would answer any questions without thinking what's her motive for asking. Just a simple question like how many siblings Daehyun has took her forever to ask and when she finally asked, she didn't know why she just had to ask the rest of the BAP members as well. She didn't want people to be suspicious of her actions but what was there to be suspicious of? They were just friends and seating partners. 

 

"Okay class, change into your gym attire. We will be doing laps around the school today to train for the test that's coming up in a month's time." The gym teacher said after she greeted the class. Hyeri groaned. Running and training for physical test was the worst thing to do in school. Hyeri would rather spend two hours at detention than to run laps for 20 minutes, she would rather spend an hour on physics, which was her worst subject than run. She would rather... Yeah, you get the idea. Hyeri was not much of a sports person but she didn't detest gym periods when they played games instead of running. It was the only period other than break time that she didn't need to face the whiteboard and books. But now, she had to run... Why must there even be such thing as physical tests?! As if theory and practical tests weren't enough. Agrhh!!

After changing into their gym attire, the teacher brought the class down.

"Teacher, I'm having cramps. Can I sit out?" Hyeri tried to feign her most painful look as she lied to the teacher.

"Oh, at least try to walk and cover those laps."The teacher said instead. How heartless! Being an annoying female teacher, she didn't allow the girls to slack off just because they were having their periods. Female teachers know the school girls tricks well enough. Bad luck for Hyeri, she had to run.

"After running five laps around the school, please report to me to get your timings recorded. Do not cheat! Ready, set, GO!" the teacher explained before blowing her whistle. Seriously? Did she need to be this strict? It was only the first practice run! Hyeri being Hyeri, she didn't even bother to run. She was gonna walk the whole five rounds. After all, it was a practice, timings didn't really matter to her. So what if she fails? Nothing will happen.

Daehyun was quite a sporty person and he didn't mind running though he would prefer soccer to running any day. Duh~ He spotted his seating partner walking moodily, he slowed down.

"You okay?" He asked. For a moment Hyeri was stunned. He was willing to have a few tens of seconds to be added to his timing just by talking to her?

"Yeah. Just don't like running. That mean teacher didn't even allow me to sit out!" Hyeri made a face. Daehyun laughed.

"It's not that bad actually. Just get it done and over with. Go for it! See you at the finishing line!" Daehyun made a 'fighting' sign and ran off. 

With new motivation, Hyeri was determined to reach the finish line..... by improving on her acting skills.

"Teacher! I really cannot take the pain! Can I please take a break?" Hyeri groaned, hugging her tummy, face looking like someone just punched the daylights out of her. She hoped the teacher would allow her to sit out.

"Fine, take a break." The teacher said. Hyeri could even hear the annoyance in her voice but she couldn't be bothered, she didn't need to complete laps! Hyeri tried to hide her success and walked slowly to a bench to wait for the rest of the students to be done with their laps.

When Daehyun reached the finish line, which was where they started, he was a little surprised to see Hyeri already seated on the bench. He didn't remember seeing Hyeri overtake him at all. Nevertheless, he reported his timing to the teacher before heading to Hyeri.

"Woah, I didn't see you run." Daehyun said.

"Yeah. I heeded your advice, get it done and over with so I told her I had super painful cramps." Hyeri beamed a smile as she thought of this brillant plan. Daehyun laughed and rolled his eyes. It didn't come across her mind that it was just a little weird having a girl telling her guy friend that she had cramps.

"I'm gonna tell her!" Daehyun said.

"NO!" Hyeri pulled Daehyun back by his arm with force he didn't expect.

"Okay okay. Just kidding. Gosh, you're quite strong for a girl who's having 'cramps'." Daehyun made those quotation marks with his fingers. Hyeri tried to hide her smile but failed.

"Come on, we need to gather. Do you need me to help you?" Daehyun wriggled his eyebrows, wanting to help her make her acting more realistic but what would the teacher think?!

"No need thanks!" Hyeri said quickly as she stood up. She didn't know why she felt shy all of a sudden. Her cheeks were also turning a light shade of pink. Daehyun walked back with her and went to sit with Youngjae.

"Not so bad for your first practice. I expect to see improvement in the upcoming weeks!" The teacher said. Gosh~ Running for the next few weeks?!

"By the way, the school will be organising an inter-class handball competition. We will need each class to send a team of 10, seven players, three reserves. there must be at least two girls in the court. Any volunteers?" The teacher asked. There were discussions and one by one, people raised up their hands to volunteer, including Daehyun and Youngjae. 

"I need two more girls! Anyone?" The teachers asked. Hyeri, being not so enthusiastic about sports, raised up her hands without thinking. Another girl raised up her hand as well.

"Good! We've got the team! Good luck!" She wished the class.

The teacher then dismissed the class when they went back to the classroom.

Hyeri was taken aback by her action, did she just volunteered herself for a sport?! What made her do it? Well, it took her long enough to realise.

", I think I like him." She burried her head into her palms when she couldn't think of any other reason why she would join the competition. It was as if the moment his name was called, she thought nothing and just raised up her hands. That could only mean one thing when she did something as reckless and volunteering herself for a sport event right? 

"You what?!" She heard Daehyun asking.

 

Really thankful for all the sweet and encouraging comments. I will try my best to update more regularly. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!