One Day

Beside You

Hyeri got ready for school as usual but she was especially cheerful but nervous today. How would she behave when she's with Daehyun? Would things be normal? How does a fake relationship even work?

Daehyun didn't walk to school with Hyeri. They weren't that into the relationship yet. That girl wouldn't be stalking so early in the morning right? Besides, Hyeri lived further away from school as compared to Daehyun. It didn't make sense for him to meet her at her house. He would have to wake up too early, too much effort for a fake relationship, Hyeri thought.

When she entered class, Daehyun was already seated at his seat, drinking water and then staring blankly into space. Hyeri spotted something on her table and as she got closer, she realised it was her favourite candy.

"You're early." Hyeri said to Daehyun.

"Yeah. Got something for my girlfriend." Daehyun whispered teasingly. Hyeri could feel her cheeks heating up. She kept her head down before anyone could notice how red her cheeks were.

Hyeri picked up the candy and realised that there was a small post-it note on it that just wrote a very simple 'Good Morning.' Even just two words could make Hyeri smile.

"You kept your promise!" Hyeri exclaimed a little too excitedly.

"Of course! What type of person do you think I am?" Daehyun frowned playfully.

"Lend me your Math notes." Daehyun extended his palm towards you. She shook her head, no wonder he was early.

"Say the magic word." Hyeri .

"Please?" Daehyun's face got really close to her. She moved back a little when she realised they were too close, there were other people in class, how could he even do that without caring about the surroundings? She eventually handed her notes to him.

"Thanks! You're the best!" Daehyun smiled as he started referring to her notes.

Things were starting out pretty well, better than she expected. Even though her heart was pumping too much blood to her body, keeping her way too excited, everything else was nice and she hope nice lasted. She definitely wouldn't mind starting everyday like this.

Lessons went on as usual, with Hyeri sneaking glances at Daehyun. Daehyun could be really playful at times but when he was focused, he looked exceptionally handsome.

Soon, it was break time and Hyeri was more than happy to finally grab some food. 

"Hurry up! I want food!" Daehyun said while Hyeri was packing her stuff so that her table didn't look too cluttered. 

"What? Oh." Hyeri looked at Daehyun and realised that Daehyun was actually waiting for her. A small smile appeared on her face and she tried to hide her blushing face. She's been blushing too much today. It was something new to her because they don't eat together during breaks. How much sweeter can her fake boyfriend get?

"Hyeri you done?" Baekhyun came over.

"Yeah. Erm..." Hyeri looked over at Daehyun as though telling Baekhyun she would be eating with Daehyun today but Baekhyun didn't look like he understood. (He did, he just pretended not to.)

"It's fine. I'll look for Jongup." Daehyun left. She was actually disappointed but tried not to make it too obvious. 

Hyeri then headed out with Baekhyun and went looking for Jinri. When the three of them settled in the canteen with food, Baekhyun started talking.

"I heard from my junior that Daehyun is now dating." Baekhyun started.

"Yeah. We're together now." Hyeri flashed a smile at the both of them.

"WHAT?!" Baekhyun choked on his food.

"What really!? Congrats!" Jinri patted her back.

"Erm. Somewhat.. Well, I'm his fake girlfriend." Hyeri said like it was the most natural thing as she continued to stuff with food.

"Fake girlfriend?" By hearing Baekhyun's voice, one could tell he was relieved. At least it wasn't a real relationship right? He still had chance. Maybe things wouldn't work out and Hyeri would realise that Daehyun was probably not meant for her?

"Yeah. He just wants to get rid of her. She's really persistant." Hyeri shrugged like it was no big deal being in a fake relationship.

"What? Then he's using you!" Baekhyun frowned. Of course Hyeri knew but if it would get the girl to stop texting Daehyun, she didn't mind.

"Aish what do you know about relationships? This could be the chance that Hyeri's waiting for! Daehyun would see the good in Hyeri and probably really fall for her!" Jinri interrupted excitedly, feeling extremely happy for Hyeri to have this 'breakthrough'. 

'I'm hoping for the opposite actually.' Baekhyun thought inwardly.

"Ah no... Nothing's going on between the both of us." Hyeri said shyly, while poking her food but she secretly hoped whatever Jinri said would be true.

"Yeah yeah. Say whatever you want and I will believe whatever I want." Jinri wriggled her brows. This girl.

The three of them then chatted about random stuff and about plans after school (Baekhyun going home, Hyeri's study plans) before their break ended.

When the three of them were walking back to class, Jinri noticed that Daehyun and his friends were walking behind them and nudged Hyeri. Hyeri looked at her weirdly and she signaled Hyeri to look behind. Hyeri could feel her body heating up and she didn't know why. Why is she even this excited when she would be sitting beside him in just a few minutes time?

 

"Aish. That girl just doesn't know when to quit!" Daehyun said after reading messages from her. Hyeri looked at him, puzzled. He then showed her the texts from the girl. Her skin was really thick. How is she not embarrassed?

"I think I need to do something to let it get into her head that I'm not interested in her." Daehyun voiced out.

"Do what?" Hyeri asked.

"You'll see." Daehyun said as he replied her.

 

"Hyeri." Daehyun called her after awhile.

"Hmmm?" She turned to face daehyun, back facing the windows. She was stunned by Daehyun's little gesture. He actually brushed the stray hair away from her face and tucking them behind her ear really quickly but gently. Hyeri looked at him with wide eyes, not believing Daehyun would do such things to her. Furthermore, THEY'RE STILL IN CLASS! Though the class was quietly absorbed in their own work but still!

"She's outside." Daehyun muttered. Oh... So that's why he did that. He managed to fool Hyeri for a split second making her think that his action was genuine. It was an act to prove that they were indeed 'dating'. Hyeri gave him a half-hearted smile.

"Act natural." Daehyun said as he playfully cupped a side of her head and made her face her work. 

Hyeri caught a glimpse of the girl's expression and mission success. She ought to feel happy but somehow she just couldn't feel the joy...

 

Finally, the last bell rang and it was the end of the last period. 

"So much work to be done... Wanna go to the cafe?" Hyeri grumbled to Daehyun.

"Yeah okay." Daehyun replied, sounding a little distracted but Hyeri was packing her bag, not noticing it.

"Okay! I'll check if Jinri has any plans." Hyeri replied cheerfully as her hands moved as quick as possible. She then headed to Jinri's class.

"Jinri! Daehyun and I are going to the cafe to study, wanna join?" Hyeri asked.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Hyeri questioned when Jinri was giving her a suggestive look.

"Nah, it's fine. You enjoy your time with him okay?" She laughed.

"What? We're studying!" Hyeri made a face.

"Yeah okay. Study hard!" Jinri said. She knew too well that they will never study or at least, she hope they'll try to date. Jinri is a Hye-hyun shipper. The both of them look really cute and compatible with each other and she really hope that Hyeri would experience such love.

The best friends said their goodbyes and Hyeri exited the classroom wanting to go back to her own class where she was mildly surprised to see Daehyun  waiting for her outside with her bag slung on his right shoulder.

"Thanks! Jinri isn't joining." Hyeri took her bag from him.

"Okay. So what you wanna eat?" Daehyun asked.

"Hmmm... Rainbow cake!" Hyeri said as they made their way towards the school gate.

"Alright.   Pig." Daehyun laughed.

"What! You asked me what I wanted to eat and then you called me a pig?!" Hyeri frowned and playfully smacked Daehyun's arm.

"Okay okay. Let's go." Daehyun shook his head with a small smile. The both of them walked in comfortable silence with occasional teasings from Daehyun. Hyeri wished everyday was like this, she was contented with just spending time with Daehyun regardless of what they were doing.

"Is there something on my face?" Daehyun asked. Oops! Hyeri didn't realise that she was caught staring at him!

"Nothing!" She squeaked, head looking down, avoiding Daehyun's gaze.

"Weirdo." Daehyun flicked her hair.

The both of them then reached the cafe which served delicious cakes. They took a seat at a table for four and Daehyun volunteered to buy for the both of them. Hyeri rejected at first but Daehyun insisted, not mentioning that he was her 'boyfriend' but instead said that she could treat him drinks later.

"Cheesecake? Again?" Hyeri asked.

"Yeah. I think they're the best creation on Earth!" Daehyun replied as he put the cakes down on the table. Hyeri made a face after hearing him exaggerate and then started eating her rainbow cake.

"Let me try!" Hyeri said and took her fork and took a small piece of his cake. She didn't want to feel his wrath by taking a huge piece even if it was meant to annoy him.

"Want to try mine?" Hyeri asked. It was only fair if she offered him a piece too. Hyeri wasn't the kind to offer food to people but it was a different story if the person was Daehyun.

"No thanks. Cheesecake is my life." Daehyun replied and ate a big portion of his cake. Oh well, more for Hyeri. 

The both of them spent the next few hours doing homework with drinks that Hyeri bought and they were occasionally on the phone.

"Yes!" Daehyun exclaimed. Hyeri gave him a puzzled look.

"She'll no longer bother me!" Daehyun said.

"Oh good for you." Hyeri said, feeling genuinely happy for him. If only she knew what was going to be his next few words, she wouldn't hope that the girl would stop pestering him.

"Then we don't need to pretend anymore!" Daehyun said.

"Oh. You sure? She won't bother you anymore?" Hyeri wanted to pretend she didn't know what he was talking about but she reacted too quickly. 

"Yeah. If she does, I'll just ignore her. Should have done that a long time ago but I'm too nice." Daehyun showed her a silly smile.

Just like that everything was over, she didn't had the mood to study anymore. She wanted to go home.

One day. 

Just one day of this fake relationship and it's nothing. What was she thinking? Why did she have to put her hopes up? The more she hoped for a favourable outcome of this, the more disappointed she would feel when it ended with nothing. Hyeri had never felt so disappointed in quite some time.

 

Hope this is not too rushed! Trying to speed things up. ^^