She's My Friend

My Boss is a (On Hiatus)

 

[GottaLoveEm: Is it just me, or... Is it starting to get a little boring...?]
___________________________________________________________________
 
*Your POV*
 
That afternoon, I checked my email, and saw the usual daily email from Taemin-oppa, Gongchan-oppa, Key-umma, and Jinyoung-oppa. They were all telling me to do my best, asking me how my day was, and telling me about their own. Apparently Taemin-oppa had accidentally hit Jonghyun-ssi in the face while practicing, and hadn't gotten the chance to apologize since Jonghyun-ssi kept pouting and walking away whenever he tried. 
 
So, in reply to Taemin-oppa's email, I replied:
 
"Is something wrong with him lately or something? Did someone hurt his feelings, dignity, or anything else? Do I need to fly back over there early and beat someone up?"
 
Smiling, I scrolled down and noticed that there was an email from CNU-oppa. These were kind of rare, some weeks I got one, others I didn't. Getting mildly exited, I opened it and read it. However, this one was just like the emails Gongchan-oppa and Jinyoung-oppa sent me, what with telling me about how things were, asking me how America was, if I got a ghetto school so I could come back unharmed, and things like that. At least it was an email. So, before going to work on homework with Sun Hee, I sent him an email back:
 
"Don't worry. It's a perfectly normal school. I won't come back married to a mobster, and with seven kids, so it's going to be okay. You need to email me more, I miss hearing from you. And tell the others to email me too! But really. Email me more, please? I would prefer to stay in contact with the people who mean so much to me. Anyways, I gotta do my homework then head to bed. Night night! ^^"
 
After that, I turned off my laptop and walked to the living room, where Sun Hee was waiting for me, sprawled on the floor, with our books spread out all over the place.
 
"I thought Alyss was coming over." I asked as I took a seat next to her. Checking her phone, Sun Hee looked up at the clock, then back to me.
 
"She said she'll be here in thirty minutes. So, for now, you've got to sing for me. Because you told me you would." she answered. Sun Hee was actually also good at singing, but Mi Sun had never heard her, so she couldn't steal her talent.
 
"Hm... Fine, but it has to be a duet. You and me. Arasso?" I asked her. She nodded eagerly, and we began.
 
As we started singing "Noona neomu yeppeo", I heard a soft, third voice join us. The third voice was quiet, but I could hear it nearby. It was soft and melodious, and sounded familiar, but I just kept singing, and as time went by, the voice got more and more confident and joined in louder, so I could hear just how soothing it was. It was obviously a female's voice, and when I turned, it was Alyss.
 
"Alyss... You know that song?" Sun Hee asked when we finished. Taking a seat next to us, she nodded.
 
"I listen to Korean music, you know. I'm not like the rest of my school, listening to rap and all that other crap. SHINee, FT Island, CN Blue, U-Kiss, IU, f(x), Girls Generation, Super Junior, Teen Top, Boyfriend, B1A4, 2PM, KARA, MBLAQ, Beast, Brown-Eyed Girls, Trax.... I know those. I was listening to some CN Blue on my way here. I like listening to music from all over the world. But I usually find the good groups by accident." she replied coolly. Impressed, I decided to ask her for names of more bands from different places.
 
"Hm... Three Days Grace, Panic! At the Disco, Stance Punk, Abingdon Boys School, Becca, Caitlin Crosby, Colbie Caillat, Dave Days, Fallout Boy, Far East Movement, Hugh Wilson, Izumi Katou, Kana Nishino, KoRn, Last Alliance, Maroon 5, VOCALOID, Michael Buble, My Chemical Romance, Never Shout Never.... I could go on, but I'm running out of breath.So, do I pass the test?" she had started listing, one after the other, without a pause.
 
"Impressive," I grinned, while Sun Hee was clapping from her spot on the floor. And after that, we finally started on our homework. After a few hours of working, we finally finished and just sat there, on the floor, talking about our lives.
 
"So, Alyss? What about you?" I asked her. She hummed to herself for a bit, then stopped.
 
"I don't remember... All I know is that my parents died when I was a kid, so now I live with my older brother. He's cool. Sometimes my memory blanks out for a while, and I always regain consciousness when I'm back at home, but whatever. I used to be sad about it when I first moved in with my brother, but now I'm okay." she finally said, and once she finished,  she flashed a smile.
 
"Oh... Well what does your brother know about it?" Sun Hee asked curiously. Alyss nodded, but gave us the face that said her brother wouldn't even mention it.
 
"Anyways, what matters now is that you're okay." I reasoned. Sun Hee nodded in agreement, and Alyss smiled thankfully. *But I wonder what really happened...? Oh well...*
 
 
**SOME MORE FAST FORWARD CAUSE I'M LAZY~, SO LET'S SAY ITS A FEW MONTHS**
 
"Guys, this is my brother, Spencer. Spencer, these are my friends, Sun Hee and Yun." Alyss said as she introduced us. Spencer gave us a polite wave and a friendly smile, but from his face, he seemed a bit worried... For Alyss...?..... No. For us. I wonder why though...
After a few hours of talking and getting to know each other, Alyss went down to the store, which was just a block away from her house, to get us all something to eat, but had insisted we stay here and relax. However, as soon as Alyss was out of ear shot, the atmosphere grew tense, and I could tell Spencer had something important to say.
 
"Sun Hee... Yun... Do you know what happened to our family?" Spencer asked us in a grave tone. I exchanged a glance with Sun Hee, then we turned back to Spencer, shaking our heads no.
 
He sighed, and asked us, "Do you WANT to know, or will it cost you your friendship with my sister?". Once again, Sun Hee and I looked at each other and then back at Spencer, but we nodded this time.
 
"Well.... The thing is, my mother and father both had some....mental issues, and since I had been living with my aunt, I had left Alyss living by herself with them. That wasn't the best idea. My mother was overly emotional, and my father was.... violent. Unfortunately, they both ended up abusing of Alyss, so everyday she would end up with cuts and bruises on her arms and legs.... I went to visit once, and after a few hours, my mother was crying in the corner and my father was beating both Alyss and I with chairs. It was horrible, but my aunt was afraid of my father, so she didn't want to deal with him if she took Alyss in and he came looking for her, like he had done once with me. So, unfortunately, Alyss was left in the hands of a dangerous man, and a woman who did nothing about it. I still feel pathetic for not being able to do anything about it...
 
But one day, our parents both mysteriously died on the same day, laying next to each other. Rather, I think they were killed, but our grandfather insists on saying they died. After Alyss moved in with us, naturally, she was behaving differently, but I said nothing. Instead, I accidentally found her diary, and was about to put it back on her shelf, had I not noticed the blood smeared on the back of it. I felt extremely uneasy, but I decided to open it and find out what it was. At first, the entries were normal, then they became depressing, talking about how she didn't want our father to hurt her anymore. At first they made sense for a child to feel, but then... One entry was different from the previous ones, and after that, they all changed. What shocked me was that it had gone from such a normal, expected thing, to such a devastating change." he told us quietly, in case Alyss was getting close or something. I gulped back tears from what he had just told us, but I couldn't help but ask him what the entry said.
 
"It wasn't exactly what it said... More of what it was written with. She had been writing with her fingers, which were covered in the blood of our parents. She had written 'Now mommy and daddy can't hurt me', and in the page after that was a drawing, in pen, of her, holding a pair of needle-nose pliers and a knife which were covered in red, and our parents on the bed, also covered in red. She had drawn herself smiling. Although I was utterly repulsed, I decided to investigate, and went to check out the bodies. They let me, since I was a grieving child, but my access was limited. It turns out while they slept, she had held their tongues with the pliers, then cut off their tongues to drown them in their own blood. 
 
They might have woken up during the process, but she most likely hit their heads with something to get them to stay down. She had seemed so normal... But then a year or so after she came to live with us, she seemed to have completely forgotten about it, so I figured she had selective amnesia. I thought it was going to be okay, until one day while we were walking back home from the store, she saw a little boy being bullied by an older man, who ended up being his uncle. Immediately, she had a violent reaction. She picked up a nearby trash can and hit the man over the head with it. Shortly after, she lost consciousness. Thankfully, she is getting better, but it's slow progress." he said, finishing his task of informing us on our new friend. Frankly, this terrified me, but she was our friend now, and we have to help her.
 
"I'm back~," I heard Alyss call from the other side of the front door. I turned slightly to Spencer, and smiled. No way was I letting that get in my way. She's my friend.