Chapter 1

Demons' lair

‘She did what?’

‘I’m telling you, she just kicked him out. Now he is all heartbroken and no fun.’

The mentioned heartbroken was laying on the worn couch, listening to his roommates discussion.

He got dumped by his girlfriend yesterday with the sorry excuse of “growing-apart”. And that also meant losing his job… he will never date his boss or co-worker ever again…

So now he was cocooning into himself in self pity, mending his broken heart

‘Byunghee come on.’ nudged him his friend, but he was not bothering to turn around or to move at all.

‘Yeah, come on. You can’t mope around all day, hyung.’ kicked him this time his other friend. ‘It’s Friday, plus we’re in college, we should be out partying and getting drunk and laid!’

To that Byunghee, because he was the moping guy, just snorted and turned around to whack the younger guy on the head.

‘Yah, Bang Cheolyong! Show some respect!’ he half-shouted, half-laughed as he pulled the guy into a headlock.

‘Let me go!’ Cheolyong fought back. ‘I just want to get you out of here!’

‘I don’t want to.’ Byunghee sighed, releasing Cheolyong and slumped back into the comfort of the old pillows.

‘But Byunghee you can’t stay in here… hell you look like .’ Jinwoon, Byunghee’s best friend and roommate sighed as well, glancing at Cheolyong.

‘Come with us, it won’t be bad. Plus anything is better than moping around all-‘

‘I said NO.’

Cheolyong glanced back at Jinwoon, he nodded back and the both of them jumped on the couch, tickling the stubborn guy mercilessly.

‘Alright!’ Byunghee shouted in defeat. ‘I’ll go just get off me!’

‘Than go get ready, princess.’ Jinwoon chuckled, high fiving Cheolyong. ‘We will wait for you downstairs.’

‘You got one hour. If you are not finished we will come back and drag you out in whatever state you are.’ Cheolyong smirked and patted his exhausted hyung’s back.

What did I get myself into again? Byunghee thought as he lifted himself up and off the battered couch and made his way towards the small bathroom of the college dorm.

 

Jung Byunghee, 22, currently attending university and majoring in Music. He was a happy boyfriend till yesterday and now the moping mess his friends tried to abduct from the comfort of their shared dorm. He was famous on campus because of his sweet voice and his gentleman-like behavior towards women… and his wide knowledge of and honest, though a bit cynical personality

He was living together with Jung Jinwoon, his high-school buddy and Mr. Popular of campus. The guy was a guitar genius, a born romantic and the walking statue of David, the ideal of many girls… and also an all-around dork and a party-animal in his free time.

Their other roommate was the one year younger Bang Cheolyong, the happy-go-lucky country boy and troublemaker of the campus. He also had a sensible side to him, but only when working on his next poem or rap-song and went by the nickname Mir. He was the bad boy ideal and the grinning loudmouth that everybody adored… when they were not about to choke him.

 

‘You know, I just needed some alone time.’ Byunghee said as the trio made their way towards the bus stop. ‘I was not about to jump off the roof or anything.’

Mir just gave him a look, which Byunghee returned with an eye roll.

‘Could have fooled me, just saying.’ Jinwoon said, his eyes crinkling in a smirk.

Byunghee kicked him in the , earning a loud yelp from the tall guy.

The maknae just laughed at the exchange.

‘So where are we going?’ Byunghee asked as they boarded the bus.

‘I don’t know.’ Mir shrugged and sat down in the back.

‘And I won’t tell you, because you hurt my feelings.’ Jinwoon pouted, still massaging his aching .

Byunghee narrowed his eyes and folded his arms against his chest.

‘Alright, alright just don’t bite my head off!’ Jinwoon said hurriedly, lifting his hands up in defense. Then a mischievous smirk formed on his lips as he leaned closer to the other two. ‘You asked me where I disappear during Friday nights, right.’

Now the other two was interested, they couldn’t get this secret out of him for the longest time, always getting mysterious replies and knowing smirks in answer.

‘Well, I’ll show you guys the best place in the town. This will surely get everything troubling out of your head.’ he said and showed a v-sign.

‘Just what the hell are you doing every weekend?’ Byunghee asked, raising an eyebrow at his friend. Romantic good boy, his . This guy was the epitome of night-life.

‘You don’t even know the half of it.’ Jinwoon chuckled, all mysterious again as Mir gaped at him in awe.

‘I think I know too much.’ Byunghee deadpanned, remembering Jinwoon’s homecomings in the morning, neck decorated with hickeys, smelling of alcohol, cigarette and .

‘I’m so glad you are not my mother, you can be so uptight sometimes.’ Mir said, as he leaned back in his seat.

Byunghee didn’t answer to the remark; he was really not in the mood for anything…

 

‘Here we are ladies!’ Jinwoon said, smiling brightly as he pointed at the entrance of a bar.

‘Is it even open? It’s only 8.’ Byunghee asked, seizing up the building.

It was a bit battered, walls covered in flame-like graffiti, the door was painted black and the neon sign was not even . Demons’ lair… what kind of a name is that?

Byunghee was not impressed, not at all.

‘Of course it’s open.’ Jinwoon said dragging the others with him. ‘But wait until later… it will be awesome.’ he promised as he opened the door.

Not even the bouncers where here this early, only a hall greeted them. It was decorated with photos and posters of bands, movies, alcohol, girls and what not, like a messy room of a teenaged guy. Than another door, this time it was painted dark crimson.

Then they finally arrived to the place…

Okay maybe I am impressed after all. Byunghee thought as he looked around.

They were standing on a higher terrace that hugged the nearly empty dance floor around, separated by columns and a low fence. It was filled with small tables, cozy boots and a lot of place to sit; red lanterns lit the dark space. The walls were decorated by pictures and neon signs in a stylishly messy fashion.

The terrace was connected to the lower dance floor by stairs. The floor was from wood, painted in a dark mahogany color that reflected the dangling red and orange lights in a very mystical way. Only a few high-tables were scattered there beside the fence.

At the far end of the room was the bar itself. The wall was covered by long shelves full of bottles, lit from the ceiling. Behind the shelves were mirrors, reflecting the lights and the colorful bottles. The bar itself had a wide bar counter, that had poles on the two corners and speakers were attached to them. On the right side of it was a curtained door, must be used by the workers.

‘So?’ Jinwoon said, smiling at the other two.

‘So cool.’ Mir whispered in awe. ‘Who would have thought they had something stylish in the middle of this neighborhood.’

‘Yeah, it looks great.’ Byunghee agreed, forgetting about his bad mood.

‘Now if you excuse me, I’ll buy us the first round.’ Jinwoon said and went straight for the bar.

The place wasn’t empty at all. Most of the boots were occupied by smaller groups, but only one bartender was working behind the counter…

‘Look at that guy!’ Mir exclaimed as he grabbed Byunghee’s arm, also noticing the flamboyant guy.

The bartender had black hair with crimson streaks and it was cut short. He was wearing a red top with a black see-through net on it and a pink, glittering short-sleeved jacket.

‘Jinwoonnie!’ he exclaimed, when he spotted the tall guy.

Byunghee and Mir didn’t hear the rest of the discussion, but they could see that Jinwoon was openly flirting with the guy, sending him his best smile. And they seemed pretty close, chatting and laughing, while a bottle of whisky and three glasses were served.

‘You are still standing here?’ Jinwoon chuckled as he made his way back to them. The two were still standing together, Mir attached to Byunghee’s arm as they stared at Jinwoon openly.

‘Yeah, we are quite surprised by the fact that you just flirted with the flamboyant guy.’ Byunghee announced both his and Mir’s thought.

‘Not flirting, it’s getting a discount.’ Jinwoon corrected and smiled back at the guy, who waved to them. ‘Say hi, to the Diva.’

‘Diva?’ Mir asked as he waved back, still staring dumbly.

‘That’s his stage name. ‘ Jinwoon explained as he looked around for a good table. ‘There.’ he said and made his way to one of the nearest table.

‘Why here?’ Mir asked further, getting immensely interested in the place.

‘To see them of course.’ Jinwoon winked and put down the glasses. ‘Wait until 11.’ he said again and pulled Byunghee down beside him. ‘So, my friend, let’s drink to your new single life.’ he announced and poured the first round for the three of them.

 

They were drinking through their second bottle, promptly cheering to anything they thought off. Byunghee bashing his ex, Mir telling the latest news of the campus and Jinwoon telling stories of the place.

As it turned out, he was a frequent costumer and he was the favorite of the Diva, JoKwon. There were five other bartenders; all had different stage names, plus two very friendly bouncers. The place was famous for the only clear liquor rule and their night shows.

Byunghee eyed the poles warily, but Jinwoon explained that they all keep their clothes on. And they were all guys.

‘All guys? Why are you even coming here?’ Byunghee asked voice a bit drowsy.

‘Because, my boy, there are a lot of girl costumers.’ he chuckled.

Byunghee just smiled back knowingly, finally understanding the stories behind those hickeys.

Without them noticing the place was already full, bodies mingled together on the upper terrace and the dance floor, as the music was turned louder. Now two other bartenders joined the Diva, called Emperor and Fox.

‘Emperor is a cocky bastard, but really cool. He is always challenging people to a drinking contest.’ Jinwoon explained pointing to a bright red haired guy with small eyes and a confident smirk.

He was daring the costumers to drink more, cheering loudly when his favorite music was played on the stereo.

‘Fox is the cutie; he is the comfort guy for the sad costumers. Maybe you should chat up with him.’ Jinwoon said, smiling at Byunghee who just rolled his eyes.

Fox was a black haired, chubby-cheeked guy with a playful smile. He seemed to be quieter than the other two.

‘Look, the others are already here.’ Jinwoon pointed to the bar, and sure enough three other guys emerged from the back ‘Okay, guys get ready.’ he smirked, before introducing the last three.

‘Whoa, that guy is almost as big as you.’ Mir exclaimed pointing out a handsome, tall and muscular guy.

‘The Italian.’ Jinwoon said. ‘He doesn’t talk much and he acts like the inner bodyguard. He can stare you out if you cross the line.’ he warned, probably remembering some cases. ‘The one with the spiked up hair and the red feather earring is Leadja. He is the owner of the place.’

Byunghee leaned forward to take a better look at the others, when he noticed the last guy… His eyes grew big as saucers. Wow, he has never seen such a stunning beauty before.

‘I see you noticed the Panda.’ Jinwoon smirked. ‘He is the cold beauty of the place; he turns down more marriage proposals then the amount of shots I drink.’ he chuckled, downing another glass of whisky.

Byunghee was only half listening; he was staring at the guy, mesmerized by his blond locks, smoky eyes and deliciously chubby lips.

Then suddenly the guy called Leadja hopped onto the counter, grabbing a loudspeaker.

‘Yah, lovelies!’ he said, grabbing everyone’s attention. ‘Are you ready to rock this night?’

‘Yeah!’

‘I can’t hear ya.’

The crowd screamed louder.

‘Grab your scotch and get down here, because all hell will broke loose tonight!’