Chapter 9

Demons' lair

Byunghee blinked at the buff guy with wide eyes.

‘I’m really sorry, I was rude to you.’ Chansung said, bowing formally to him.

‘Don’t be sorry! I’m not mad at you.’ Byunghee said, feeling a bit uncomfortable because of the sudden formality.

‘I thought about my behavior and I want to properly explain myself.’ Chansung continued, the forever seriousness not leaving his voice for even a moment.

Was he really the youngest here?

‘I confused you with somebody that hurt me.’ he continued, and bowed again. ‘I reacted badly, though you did nothing wrong.’

‘I’m sure you had your reasons…’

‘I had, you resembled him in both personality and appearance...’

‘I’m sorry if I reminded you of him.’ Byunghee apologized, though he still couldn’t imagine what happened to Chansung. ‘But do you mind explaining it to me?’

‘He was a guy who waltzed in my life… after I finished up here I used to work at the orphanage I lived in.’ he explained.

An orphanage… Chansung is an orphan?!

‘That is my secret; I take care of the little brave ones that had a similar fate to mine. I try to stop them from starting off like me.’

‘You mean roaming the streets with Joon?’ Byunghee asked, chuckling softly. He worked to help little kids… he was a really great guy.

‘Yeah…’ Chansung smiled softly, scratching the back of his head…he smiled for the first time!

‘That’s awesome! Do you still work there?’ Byunghee asked.

‘No. I worked there with my childhood friend… and I fell in love with her, though she didn’t know about it. She broke my heart when she escaped with that man… I can’t return there… I can’t even put myself back together.’ he sighed, his handsome face filled with trouble and sadness.

‘Do you want to tell me about it? I’m sure it would help…’ Byunghee spoke softly; the guy seemed extremely fragile… like the 20 years old boy he was.

‘He… he just appeared at the orphanage one day… he meant no harm with his friendliness, but she fell for him… and escaped with him a month ago to the US.’ he continued. ‘The thing I’m angry about is that the man didn’t even know anything about her, about our past… the suffering we went through… and she… she just ignored all of it and left me without goodbye.’ Chansung said, eyes hazy. ‘I was angry at you because I thought you will ruin my happiness here as well, like he did…’

‘I hope you know that I have no such intentions.’

‘Yeah… I know, but I vented my anger out on you… it was much easier that way.’

‘It must still hurt… but you can’t blame him… he didn’t know anything and maybe your friend… she just wanted to start anew, without any reminder to the past.’

‘Seulong said the same thing.’ Chansung smiled shakily. ‘I actually start to think that you both are right… but it is hard.’

‘Every beginning is hard… look where I got myself because of my ex.’ Byunghee sighed dramatically, motioning vaguely around.

Chansung chuckled softly. ‘Better then a strip-club.’

‘Sometimes I start to question that.’ Byunghee chuckled, happy that the guy was not so rigid anymore.

‘I do too… but my hands are tied to here.’ Chansung said, lifting his eyes to the empty office upstairs.

‘Jay is like that… everybody owes him.’ Byunghee chuckled, finally warming up to his coworker, who was not a complete as it turned out.

‘I think we better go… JoKwon might kill me if I don’t bring you back to him.’ Chansung said and stood up. ‘I’m really sorry.’ he bowed again.

‘You are worse than Seulong…’ Byunghee mumbled and grabbed Chansung by the shoulders. ‘Don’t you dare to apologize again because of it. I am not mad at you.’ he said, putting emphasis on every word.

‘Alright.’ Chansung blinked back, surprised at Byunghee’s sudden attitude.

‘Good. But you need to explain yourself to the others as well, especially Joon.’ he smiled, patting the maknae on the shoulders.

Chansung nodded, sighing again.

Cocooning in after a heartbreak resulted in trouble…Byunghee thought, chuckling softly. Gorgeous and y trouble…

‘Then let’s go… it’s my treat since you saved me today.’ he said, snapping out of his daydream.

‘I don’t think you know what you got upon yourself.’ Chansung smiled and went ahead, opening the door for Byunghee. ‘I am the shikshin Demon of the lair.’

 

‘You did wonders!’ JoKwon exclaimed when the two of them were at the bus stop again. ‘Jinyoung actually cried because of Chansung.’

‘I just talked to him, that’s all.’ Byunghee said, pouting slightly at his now empty wallet.

‘Then talk to people more often… I haven’t seen his smile for ages.’

‘I’m sure he will tell you why he was like that… he is very serious about apologizing and you promptly told him he made you worried.’ Byunghee chuckled, remembering the fit the Diva threw.

‘Maybe I was a bit harsh… but that brat was a block of ice for god’s sake… he was completely out of himself.’

‘Well I’m glad I could be helpful.’

‘You are the best thing that happened to the bar… you are my lucky charm.’ Kwon said, hugging him.

 

‘Congratulation!’ the others shouted, when Byunghee stepped inside that Friday.

‘You survived for a month Demon!’ Jay grinned and patted him on the back.

‘Blow the candle and wish for something!’ Junho snickered and lifted the cake up.

So Byunghee did and JoKwon with the help of Joon smeared cake on his face.

‘Yah!’ he shouted, surprised at the sudden coldness and smeared cake on the both of them.

‘Here, eat up!’ Junho said and pushed a strawberry into his mouth, followed by another one from Seulong.

‘Congratulations.’ Wooyoung smiled at him and took a bite from the cake.

Thinking of it, Byunghee never had a chance to talk to him… he was kind but very secretive…

‘I’m sorry.’ Chansung whispered into his ear, with a cheeky grin.

‘You… I told you already to stop that!’ Byunghee smiled back and smeared the cake from his face on the maknae’s arm, surprising the others with their sudden closeness.

‘I told you they grew on each other.’ JoKwon said, smirking smugly.

‘I’m jealous now.’ Joon pouted, hitting Chansung’s arm. ‘I demand your explanation.’

‘None of your business.’ Chansung answered, ruffling Joon’s hair up.

Byunghee chuckled at them, when he noticed Seungho beside himself. He was looking at the scene as well.

‘He opened up to you?’ he asked softly.

‘I just talked to him; he was the one that decided to take his past head on.’ Byunghee shrugged, chuckling when Chansung lifted both the noisy Junho and the even noisier Joon up.

‘The past can eat you alive if you have nobody to rely on.’ Seungho said softly, and Byunghee turned to him in surprise… he was looking at him with a sad smile.

‘Alright kids, party time over! We have work to do!’ Jay shouted and Seungho walked away, leaving Byunghee dumbfounded.

‘You in there?’ Junho asked and waved a hand in front of his face.

‘Yeah…’ Byunghee answered dumbly and shook his head. ‘Let’s go before Jay kicks our asses.’ he added and smiled at the Emperor.

 

‘Where was Jinwoon today?’ JoKwon asked as they cleaned the glasses that morning together. Everybody stayed in to clean, because the kids went out of control more than they usually did.

‘He had a presentation to make and he couldn’t postpone it anymore.’ Byunghee answered, frowning at a quite nasty mark left on the counter.

Suddenly there was some noise in the hall; somebody shouted then sounds of brawling, pushing and more shouting, coming closer.

Then the door was kicked open, revealing three figures.

‘You can’t come in here!’ Joon shouted, only to be pushed away by one of the three men.

‘What is this- You?!’ Jay sneered, eyes narrowing dangerously.

Byunghee noticed how everybody froze in one place; the tension growing thick in the room.

‘Why hello there.’ the tallest of the three greeted, he was wearing a suit and his black hair hid one of his eyes.

‘Taecyeon.’ Jay sneered. ‘What are you doing here?’ he asked, stepping forward and the others moved as well, Chansung and Joon stepped behind him and Seulong moved in front of the bar…what was happening here?

JoKwon nearly broke the glass in his hand, his expression was of pure hate and Junho’s was no different.

Byunghee noticed that Wooyoung started to shake and Seungho quickly hugged him to himself…and even in this absurd situation Byunghee felt a pang of jealousy.

‘Oh nothing, my old friend. I just came to take back my toys, they were running around freely just long enough.’ the man named Taecyeon smirked.

‘How dare you… get out of here.’ Jay said still in a relatively calm tone.

‘Tsk, I’m not even on my territory and you think I’ll leave without my property?’ Taecyeon asked as if it was the most absurd thing in the world.

‘Property, my ! They are not some objects.’ Jay shouted, now losing his temper.

‘Go get them.’ Taecyeon ignored Jay’s outburst, and motioned for his goons. ‘Hurry, before that old dog notices I’m on his territory.’ he grinned again, the expression more wicked then anything Byunghee saw before.

The two men moved in quick peace clearly coming for them behind the bar, but not for Kwon or Junho… they were aiming for Wooyoung… and Seungho.

‘Leave them alone!’ Seulong shouted only to receive a hard hit, easily moving him out of their way.

‘Come.’ one of them said, grabbing Seungho’s arm.

Byunghee felt anger flare up in him and without thinking he grabbed the man’s wrist.

‘Release him. Now.’ he said, eyes narrowing.

‘Only after you.’ the other man said and loud gasps resonated through the room.

Byunghee felt cold metal against his temple… but he was not caring, he tightened his grip further on the other man.

Seungho was scared, his confident brown eyes were screaming from fear and Byunghee couldn’t take it… that’s why he moved. And now those glistening brown eyes were locked on him, staring at him in confusion and in worry…

‘Release him.’ commanded the gun holder again, a hollow click emphasizing his point.

‘Don’t shoot him, Junsu.’ Taecyeon wiggled his finger as if scolding some naughty student. ‘Washing out blood from your jacket costs me a fortune already.’ he chuckled.

But the guy named Junsu didn’t lower the gun, only pressed it harder against Byunghee’s temple.

‘Changminnie, since he asked so nicely let go of Seungie.’ Taecyeon commanded and the man released his grip from Seungho. ‘Now it’s your turn, brave boy.’ the man continued.

Byunghee reluctantly let go of “Changminnie”, but didn’t look away from Seungho.

‘Good.’ Taecyeon clapped. ‘Since you were such an obedient boy I’ll leave for now… the dogs are already barking around the corner anyway. ‘ he continued, pouting. ‘Junsu, leave him a present for his hard work then let’s go.’

The man named Junsu snickered lowly then all Byunghee felt was sharp pain… and the last thing he saw was the horrified look of Seungho before he out.

 

Byunghee started to regain consciousness though he was still dizzy and his head was about to split in two…

‘Oh my god, oh my god!’ somebody chanted beside him. He also felt a gentle grip on his hand…so he didn’t shoot me after all…

‘Look! He is waking up!’ it was Junho’s voice… he also heard the others.

‘Shh! Shut up.’ Seulong chided, and the noise died down.

Byunghee opened his eyes slowly… the room was darkened, but the lights still hurt his eyes. He let lose a soft groan and closed his eyes again.

‘Byunghee…’ Seulong whispered softly. ‘You got hit by the back of the gun so don’t move around, okay?’

‘Alright.’ Byunghee mumbled softly, the scenes from before flashing behind his eyes and his anger flared up again.

But he couldn’t find the strength to say anything more.

Thankfully Seulong seemed to read his mind again.

‘Jay, Chansung and Joon are out… they are discussing the matter with the big-boss. Everybody else is alright… well except for you.’

‘Very funny, Seulong.’ Kwon deadpanned, and Byunghee heard a hiss from the Giant… must have received the infamous poke of the Diva.

Byunghee finally managed to open his eyes and looked around slowly… the first thing he noticed was Seulong who was leaning over him and JoKwon, who was standing beside him, nervously biting his nails.

He heard Junho’s faint voice… he was on the phone.

Then who was holding his hand?

It was Wooyoung… he seemed to have cried, his eyes were puffy and red. And Seungho was sitting by his legs, gazed fixed on his face… his eyes were still glistening from fear, but he seemed relieved…

At least he and Wooyoung are not hurt! Byunghee thought and sighed softly in relief.

‘Jay called; he will be back in a few.’ Junho whispered. ‘Everything alright here?’ he asked, as he also came into Byunghee’s field of vision, for once not sporting his cocky grin.

‘Yeah, just my head is ready to rip into two.’ Byunghee chuckled softly, surprised at his own groggy voice.

‘Then it’s nothing unusual, I tend to do that to you.’ Junho said, smile returning to place.

‘Oh my god! You sacred us so much… I thought I have to bury your body somewhere.’ JoKwon sighed, smiling as well.

‘Sorry to disappoint.’ Byunghee smiled back softly.

‘I-I’m so sorry.’ Wooyoung whispered softly, voice thick from repressed crying. ‘You got hurt because of us.’ he said, hiccupping softly.

‘It’s not your fault…’ Byunghee said, squeezing the shivering hand.

‘Damn right it’s not your fault.’ Jay marched in, still spitting fire. ‘All of you will stay together, understood?’ he asked. ‘Joon and Chansung will take you home, no complaints.’ he added and plopped down beside their group.

‘Want to talk to Byunghee about this?’ Seulong asked.

‘Yeah… please leave us alone… ‘Jay sighed, resting his chin on his palm. ‘And Wooyoung…’

‘Y-yes?’

‘ Nichkhun is waiting for you outside.’  Jay said, and smiled softly at the trembling guy.

The Fox glanced at Byunghee once more and he reassured him with a smile, which Wooyoung returned softly.

After squeezing Byunghee’s hand once more he stood up and hurried to his waiting lover.

The others left after Wooyoung, but not before squeezing his hand as well and asking once again if he was okay.

Only Seungho stayed, but he also stood up and instead of going he stepped closer, leaning down.

Byunghee swore he turned a million shade of red and even though he was dizzy the comforting scent and warmth of the other was enough to put his head back to the right place… and his heart right out of it.

‘Thank you.’ Seungho whispered into his ear, leaned back a bit and looked into Byunghee’s eyes. He smiled softly then walked away.

That left Byunghee speechless and mindless for a few seconds, dumbly staring after the blond.

‘Ah, kiddo.’ Jay sighed, massaging his temples. ‘You stepped right into the middle of this mess… and I thought you don’t need to know about this.’

‘Jay… you told me to reveal the secrets by myself… but you gotta help me out in this one.’ Byunghee smiled at the boss, who looked at him with wide eyes.

‘You are not quitting?’

‘I thought we already had this discussion.’ Byunghee answered, he was not doing the job for the money since a long time ago… he found great friends here, and they were in danger. He was not going to let them down.

‘Birdie… did I mention that I like your attitude?’ Jay asked, smile playing on his lips.


Ooooh, we are venturing into drama-land with my plot bunny that went out of control... hope you all will enjoy the ride ;)

(Forgive me Taec, Jun.K, Changmin I love you guys but I didn't want to bring in more characters as bad guys T.T)