Throwing Pebbles

Springtime

 

Bomi/Chanyeol, 2k of fluff, warning: un-edited

Should I make a separate collection for Bomi/Chanyeol only

 


 

 

 

The clock says 8.30pm and Bomi is lying down in her bed, studying her notes for tomorrow’s lecture, when something hits her dorm’s window. She raises her head immediately, startled by the noise, and for a few seconds she just stays in her place, wondering if the previous sound was just a part of her imagination. But then she sees it, a pebble hitting her window and makes a rattling sound, leaving the glass shaking lightly.

 

Frowning, Bomi steps out from her bed and walks to the window. Below, outside, stands a tall, lanky guy with messy black hair, a black hoodie and ripped jeans, carrying an acoustic guitar on his back. He looks up nervously and jolts when he makes eye-contact with Bomi. She doesn’t think she knows him.

Bomi opens the window and peers down. “... Did you throw rocks at my window?” she asks.

 

“Ha, haha,” the guy forces a laugh. He pushes his hair back, making it messier. His ears stick out from under his hair. “I did—Um, but. It was—,” he has a nice voice, deep and pleasant. “Ah. Well. Accident.”

 

“Accident?”

 

“Yea. Haa. See,” he waves his hand around, “I want to, um, hit the window. Above your room. But. I missed.”

 

Bomi looks up even though she can’t really see the window above her room. But she knows the owner; it’s Bae Joohyun from Art Department. She’s freaking pretty, and she’s popular. Still, as far as Bomi knows, it’s the first time her admirer approaches her with this old-school way.

 

“Huh. Think you should aim higher,” Bomi tells the guys and he nods, laughs but chokes up on his own saliva.

 

“Sorry!” he says after his cough dies down, grimacing a bit. His big eyes are different in size when he does that expression.

 

“No problem. Good luck!” And with that, Bomi closes her window for the night.

 

***

 

Two days later around the same time, Bomi enters her room with a towel wrapped around her head as she just took a shower, when her window hit by yet another pebble. “Seriously?” she questions, walking to the window. This guy must have the tiest aim.

 

And there he is, the same guy from the previous night, now in a much better appearance as he combs his hair and wears a white tee under a denim shirt. He grimaces again when he sees Bomi.

 

“, sorry!” is the first thing he says when Bomi opens the window. Then he seems to notice Bomi’s rather revealing clothes – a loose tank, showing the strap of her bra – and he looks away, flustered.

 

It’s kind of amusing. Bomi takes her towel off and uses it to cover herself up even though it’s damp. “Still no luck? Maybe you should practice before coming here.”

 

“Ah, yeah... Yeah. Maybe I should.” He brings his hand up – to rake his hair, probably – but he seems to remember that he had styled it on the last second, so he rubs his nape instead.

 

“You look nice today,” Bomi gives her comment, deciding that it won’t hurt to talk with Bae Joohyun’s admirer for a minute or two. The guy looks up so fast he may hurt his neck, as if Bomi’s compliment surprises him. “Much nicer, I mean. Already nice yesterday.”

 

“Oh,” he fiddles with the hem of his tee. It’s not very clear in the dark, but it seems he’s kind of blushing. “Thanks. I... thought I should—You know, prepared, better.”

 

Should have practiced your throw and aim instead, Bomi thinks to herself. “But where’s the guitar?” she asks, noticing the lack of the musical instrument today.

 

“Ah, that...,” now, he’s positively blushing. How come a man as big as his size looks so cute and endearing? “I think it’s too... cheesy. So I left it.”

 

“You want to play her a song? Singing, too?” He nods, quite embarrassed. “Well I don’t think it’s cheesy. I think it’s romantic. But only if you really can play the guitar. And as long as you’re not tone deaf, I guess,” Bomi shrugs.

 

“I’m not,” the guy quickly says. “Tone deaf. I’m not. I’m in Music Major.”

 

“Hooo, a musician,” she whistles. “The cool dudes. Hm, what’s your name? If you don’t mind me asking.”

 

He’s quick to shakes his head too. “Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol.”

 

Bomi hums, pulling herself back from the window sill. “Well, Music Major Park Chanyeol, I hope you don’t have to stand there all night long. Bye bye.”

 

“W-Wait!” Chanyeol shouts, taking Bomi’s attention back to him. “I have something—Just, for an apology.” He pulls something out from his pocket and throws it to Bomi’s window. Funny, he can aim Bomi’s room just fine.

 

Bomi catches the thing Chanyeol threw – it’s a Kinder Joy.

 

“Do you like? Chocolate?” Chanyeol asks, suddenly seems to nervous again for no apparent reason.

 

She inspects the chocolate for a while before throwing Chanyeol a smile. “The best. Thanks for this, bye for real now!”

 

The last thing she sees before drawing her curtain close is the image of Chanyeol waving his hand to her.

 

***

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Bomi mutters to herself when a week later her studying time is disturbed, the window glass shakes lightly after being hit by a small rock. “He’s still not succeeded yet?”

 

She opens the window – and raises her eyebrows at the sight that greets her below.

 

Chanyeol is there again, but today, he’s clearly going all out.

 

For starter, he’s wearing a suit with hair styled pushed back, giving out a neat and mature look. Bomi can see his face better now without the bang covering his forehead, and he’s really good-looking with a boyish charm. And the guitar from day one is back, he’s holding it closely to his chest like it’s a prize possession.

 

Second, he’s sitting on a chair with some candles lit up behind him, the dim light makes the situation even more romantic and screams confession no matter how you see it, especially with the addition of a bouquet of rose on his feet.

 

Third, Chanyeol brings back-up in the form of his friends, three of them, and they carry these big white papers for God knows what. They stare up at Bomi, all of them, one with a blank expression, but the other two are clearly giddy and excited.

 

“Woaa, you’re really prepared today,” Bomi comments, impressed and feels envious of Bae Joohyun. No one has ever confessed to her like this. “You keep on missing you target, want me to call Joohyun-ssi for you? I can go up and tell her to look outside—”

 

“No!” Chanyeol shouts, and he seems surprised by his own action as he quickly waves his hand. “No, no, that—I don’t—I mean, that’s not necessary. Will you,” he clears his throat, one of his friends grin rather annoyingly behind him, “... Will you listen, to, umm. I prepare a song?” Chanyeol lifts his guitar a little.

 

Bomi frowns. “You want my opinion? But all the other girls will hear it too. And Joohyun-ssi too, probably. Won’t it better if—”

 

“It’s fine,” Chanyeol cuts in, staring with wide, hopeful eyes.

 

Bomi shrugs, doesn’t really matter for her. “Okay? Shoot.”

 

“Um.” Chanyeol clears his throat, strumming his guitar for a second before he starts, inhaling deeply.

 

A few chords in, Bomi recognizes the song he’s playing as Ra.D’s I’m In Love.

 

“... Actually, after our first meeting, saying I like you isn’t something easy for me,” Chanyeol starts to sing, and he’s right, he’s not tone deaf, even though the first notes are shaky. He’s not the best singer out there, but Bomi finds his voice soothing and calming, and she unconsciously leans to the window sill, enjoying the performance. The guy closes his eyes, singing with emotion. “If I don’t make a move on you first, I’m afraid I will miss you...

 

Just like what Bomi had predicted, some dorm resident on her wing opens their window, intrigued and curious after hearing Chanyeol’s singing voice on their backyard. Chanyeol doesn’t seem to be disturbed, keep singing his lines, and Bomi watches while Chanyeol’s friends scramble around, showing the paper they carry to the other residents. Bomi can read ‘Apologize for the disturbance, our friend is confessing!’ written on those papers. It’s cute.

 

At the thought that it will just hurt if it gets deeper, it’s true that I stand in front of fear. But the person I pray and hope for with an earnest heart...” Suddenly Chanyeol opens his eyes, and he stares straight to Bomi when he sings the next line, “... I believe that person is you.

 

... Oooh, I’m in love.

Oooh, I’m falling in love.

Don’t know what to do to hide my heart.

You are too beautiful...

 

Chanyeol drags his last note and the last strum of his guitar, his eyes on Bomi’s all the time. It makes Bomi feels... feelings. Weird feelings, almost like the song is dedicated to her. She’s envious again. And, a little bit, jealous. Weird, ridiculous feelings.

 

She almost forgets to clap, but right about when she remembers to—Chanyeol’s friends gather back behind him, holding the papers side by side, different words on them now, making one sentence, one question.

 

Yoon Bomi, will you go out with me?

 

Bomi can hear her fellow dorm mates whoop and cheer from their own rooms, finally finding out who’s the girl who receives the confession. By the sound of it, the residents from the third floors also come out – the girls up there are the loudest.

 

“… Uh,” is all Bomi can say. She’s not sure she reads the letters right. Isn’t it supposed to be Bae Joohyun

 

“I lied,” Bomi’s train of thoughts is interrupted by Chanyeol. He’s standing up, putting away his guitar and picks up the flower bouquet now. He rubs his nose. Nervous gesture. “… The first time—I hit your window. I didn’t miss. I was about to confess to you. Back then. But when you came out—I just, chickened out. So I lied.”

 

One of Chanyeol’s friends snorts and almost burst out laughing – the other punches his arm.

 

“The second time, it’s the same. But, you said I looked nicer. And you said it’s not too cheesy, to sing,” he’s blushing, “So I decided to…” He doesn’t continue, too embarrassed with his own act.

 

Someone goes ‘Aaawww!’ – it sounds like the girl from the first floor.

 

“I—I know that you don’t know me, and. I don’t ask for you to, um, accept me right away. Oh, but you totally can, just saying. Uh, anyway, maybe we can, get a coffee, sometimes? Just, to get to know each other,” Chanyeol continues, getting even flustered and in a rush now. Even the tips of his ears are read. “Just give me a chance. Please.”

 

“… How do you even know me?” Bomi needs to know before she answers, because it’s true, she doesn’t know Chanyeol at all. They take different major, and it’s not like Bomi has a lot of friends from Music Major.

 

“Last summer recital,” Chanyeol answers immediately, like it’s always in the back of his mind. “I saw your performance with the Dance Major. You’re really…,” he trails off, getting embarrassed again, but Bomi can swear he says something alongside mesmerizing.

 

“Ah, really?”

 

“For God’s sake, Bomi, just take his invitation now!” someone yells – Is that floor manager Unnie? Just how many people are watching this confession right now?

 

Bomi points at the bouquet on Chanyeol’s hands. “That’s for me, right? Throw it here.”

 

“Huh? Oh, this. Right. Right, it’s for you. Umm.” He steps forward and throws the bouquet up, right onto Bomi’s direction that she’s able to catch it easily.

 

Much like when she received Kinder Joy from Chanyeol, Bomi stares at the flower for a while before she turns to him. “Next Saturday, 3 o’clock, my room is number 213. Knock, okay? No more throwing pebbles.”

 

“Wait, what? Do-Does that mean—”

 

“See you next Saturday, bye bye,” Bomi closes the window without waiting for Chanyeol’s answer, closing the curtain behind her.

 

Five seconds later, she can hear Chanyeol’s loud yell of, “GUYS! SHE SAID YES!” outside, followed by a lot of claps and cheers from the dorm’s resident.

 

Bomi grins widely, hugging the bouquet in her arms.

 

That is definitely the cheesiest confession she ever got – and she really, really likes it.

 

 

 

 


 

 

I'm still having difficulties in writing.....................