Murdered by Chocolote

Springtime
  • Title: Murdered by Chocolate (café!au)
  • Author: nicorobin @ AFF / Tumblr
  • Genre: Romance (?)
  • Length: 1219 words
  • Characters: Bomi, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo ++ cameo from Soojung and Jongin
  • Pairing: Kyungmi

 

Bomi’s going to kill Chanyeol. She would start by pulling all his hair until he’s bald.

 


 

For the umpteenth time Bomi rearranged the cupcakes and the mini tarts in the display window, and if Junmyeon, her boss, saw her right now, he would thinking that Bomi was a very diligent worker and probably considering of raising her salary.

 

But her co-worker knew her better.

 

“Creeper,” a word whispered in her ear, dangerously low and close to her liking when the wind from the breath brushed her neck, effectively startling her into dropping the cake in her hand into the floor accompanied with her soft yelp.

 

Bomi stared at the cake in the floor and the deep voice chuckled, ignoring the death glare Bomi sent to his direction.  

 

“You’re paying for that,” Bomi snapped, reaching for the mop to clean up the unfortunate cake.

 

“Hey, it’s not my fault that you’re so focused into your work that you didn’t notice me,” Chanyeol leaned onto the display window, a sly grin on his face when he emphasized the word focused.    

 

Bomi knew her face already reddened by now, so she opted to ignore her co-worker’s tease, grumbling under her breath when she’s cleaning the cake. Maybe if she ignored him long enough he’d gave up.

 

But giving up certainly not included in Chanyeol’s book, and sadly Bomi knew him too well. 

 

“It’s been, what, three months now? Damn, Bbom, that’s quite a long time to stare,” and Bomi blushed even more. “I agree that the young man is delicious,” Bomi tried hard not to curse for Chanyeol’s choice of words, “but don’t you think it’s time to… I don’t know, quit staring and talk to him instead?”

 

“I could never do that,” Bomi mumbled, throwing a nervous glance at the corner of the café they worked at.

 

There in the corner, a young man, probably around their age, was sitting alone, reading his text-books solemnly. He’s a regular for around, Chanyeol’s right, three months now, and Bomi had her eyes on him since the first time she saw him.

 

The boy was not in the tall side, with small build and narrow shoulders, his face was child-like and it didn’t help that he had this lost and confused look on his face. Thankfully his books showed that he’s a college student – Bomi knew she would never hear the end of Chanyeol’s teases if the boy was still a student.

 

She was arranging the cupcakes in the display for real that time, when she heard the voice, “Can I have the Murdered by Chocolate, please?” from the other side of the counter and she looked up, finding a pair of huge, innocent eyes staring back at her.

 

Bomi blinked once.

 

“Ah, um, yes, of course,” she took the chocolate cupcake and placed it in his tray.

 

The plump lips curled up into a small (Heart-shaped!!! Bomi’s mind screamed) smile when the owner said thank you to Bomi.

 

And that day wasn’t the last day he showed up. He came at random times, sometimes once or twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes he just bought cakes home and the other times he would stay around. There was this one weekend when he brought his laptop and he spent almost six hours in the café and Junmyeon was confused why Bomi insisted to work over-time her shift. 

 

All Bomi could do was staring and stealing glances, and it didn’t take long for Chanyeol to figure it out; they’ve been partners and friends for more than a year anyway.

 

“You, Yoon Bomi, couldn’t talk?” Chanyeol snorted. “Should I show you how to do it, then?” there’s a mischievous glint on Chanyeol’s eyes and an evil smirk on his lips, and before Bomi could say or do anything about that – because Chanyeol’s smirk was never a good omen – Chanyeol was already out from behind the counter and to Bomi’s dismay, he walked to the boy in the corner.

 

The boy had his back turn on Bomi so she couldn’t see his expression, but she did see the seductive smile Chanyeol had when he leaned on to the table, his arm rested on the chair’s head while he whispered something on the boy’s ear, placing a plate of tart (Since when Chanyeol had the tart on his hand, Bomi didn’t notice) in front of the boy. The short conversation ended with Chanyeol planting a small pat on the boy’s shoulder.

 

Chanyeol came back with a victory smile. “Guess who just had a date after work~?”

 

Bomi gasped. “You didn’t—!” She knew Chanyeol was a bi-curious, and he did say that Bomi had quite a taste when he figured out Bomi’s crush on the regular customer. But she never imagined that Chanyeol would make a move on her customer – she called dib on him, how dare Park Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol winked at her, so Bomi grabbed one of the most expensive cake available and stuffed it in . “You’re paying!!!” she said furiously, only to make Chanyeol cracked even more.

 

***

 

“I’ll be going home first!” Bomi waved to Soojung, her co-worker that worked after her shift.

 

“Umm, be careful Unnie!” Soojung waved back before Bomi walked out from the café. The last thing she heard was Soojung yelled rather loudly, “Wake up, Jongin!” which must be directed to her partner who always managed to fall asleep somehow.

 

Bomi was about to walk to the bus stop as usual when she noticed a figure standing near the café’s entrance, and she would walk away if only it was any other person. However, the figure was her favorite customer ever, now noticing her presence and locking eyes with her.

 

Before Bomi could run away – because run away would be her first instinct – the other person bowed to her.

 

“Hello,” he said, calm voice that did nothing near calming Bomi.

 

“H-Hello,” Bomi stuttered as she bowed back. Then she remembered Chanyeol who already went home before her and his date, who standing before Bomi. Don’t tell me Chanyeol ditch him? I’m so going to kill you Park Chanyeol. “Umm… If you’re waiting for Chanyeol… I think he’s already gone home…” Bomi reminded herself to breathe cause it would be very weird, fainting just because she’s talking with her object of affection.

 

“Chanyeol?” the boy stared with his big eyes that Bomi slightly worried his eyes would fall out from the socket. “Ah, the tall guy? I’m not waiting for him. I’m waiting for you.”

 

“M-Me?” Bomi choked on air.  

 

“You see… This Chanyeol guy, he said I have an admirer…”

 

Yep. That’s it, Bomi’s going to kill Chanyeol. She would start by pulling all his hair until he’s bald.

 

“… which happened to be the reason my visits to the café more pleasant.”

 

It took some time for Bomi’s brain to understand his words. “… W-What?” 

 

“I always like seeing your smile,” the boy added, rather shyly.

 

Bomi coughed hard, and the boy quickly patted her back. “Are you alright?” he asked worriedly.

 

“Y-You… What?” Bomi asked back, teary eyes due to her cough.

 

The boy smiled at her, and offered his hand. “… I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“Y-Yoon Bomi…,” Bomi took Kyungsoo’s hand, praying that he wouldn’t notice her trembling hand.

 

“So… Bomi-ssi, can I walk you home?”

 

It seemed like Park Chanyeol would still be able to see the sun rise tomorrow after all.

 

***