It’s Not Hard to See

Springtime
  • Title: It’s Not Hard to See (... sport!au? seriously, what do you call this, someone needs to teach me)
  • Author: nicorobin @ AFF / Tumblr
  • Genre: Friendship, Romance (I think. I hope)
  • Length: 1784 words
  • Characters: Bomi, Minseok, Chorong, Luhan, Baekhyun ++ Doojoon, Howon (mentioned)
  • Pairing: one-sided Baekmi and Hanmi

 

It’s not hard to see who Bomi likes, Baekhyun thought.

 


 

“Bow!”

 

The whole class gave one proper bow to their instructor, and soon they clapped their hands as their instructor walked to the side to change his clothes. When he already disappeared to his house – because Mr. Park’s Dojo was connected to his own house – the students scattered away, taking their stuff in the back of the room, wiping their sweats or taking a drink.

 

“Hey, Bomi,” Minseok raked his hair with his own fingers and then frowned when he realized how wet his fingers were, “… You’ll come tomorrow, right?” he turned his attention back to his junior on his side.

 

Bomi gulped down half the bottle of an energy drink, bobbing her head while putting her thumb up for Minseok to see.

 

“What is it? Soccer thingy?” Chorong showed up and rested her chin on Bomi’s shoulder. “Bomi-ah, when will you have time to go shopping and nail-painting with me? Just play with Unnie, please,” she pouted, adding the aegyo factor to her already baby-liked voice.

 

Minseok grabbed Bomi to his side before Bomi could answer Chorong. “Chorong, don’t try to steal our precious goal-keeper right before our match!”

 

“Don’t worry, Unnie, I have some time before the practice,” Bomi smiled.

 

“Yeaay! You’re the best, Bomi-ah!” Chorong yelled excitedly, making Bomi pinky-promised her before she went away to her house.

 

“You really spoiled her,” Minseok poked Bomi’s cheek. “You’re too kind.”

 

“What happened?” Luhan’s head popped out from behind Minseok, startling the shorter guy. “Our Bomi is kind, yes she is,” he nodded his head even without fully knowing the conversation’s topic. “Let’s go, Baozi, tonight’s your turn to buy us snacks,” Luhan proceeded with slinging his arm around Minseok’s shoulders.

 

“Get off, I’m sweaty,” Minseok brushed Luhan away, and Luhan stared at his arm before he wiped it down to his jeans. “And don’t call me Baozi! Alright, Bomi, see you tomorrow?”

 

“Um! See you tomorrow, Minseok Oppa, Luhan Oppa,” Bomi waved cheerfully at the two boys as they made their way off. 

 

Bomi’s smile faded when Minseok and Luhan was out of sight.

 

“You’re still playing soccer? I thought you said you’re kind of… slowing it down.”

 

Bomi turned her head and saw Baekhyun was already take off his taekwondo uniform, now wearing a simple t-shirt under a black hoodie, his duffel bag over one shoulder. His gesture clearly showed that he’s waiting for Bomi.

 

“Yeah… The goal-keeper Oppa hurts his knee… They need me to standby and replace him if necessary,” Bomi started to strip off her uniform and Baekhyun looked away, even though Bomi had her t-shirt underneath the uniform.

 

“When is the match?”

 

“Um… next Sunday?” Bomi stuffed her uniform into her bag, didn’t bother to fold it. Baekhyun frowned and took it away from Bomi, folding it for her.

 

“We have a math test on Monday,” Baekhyun reminded her, shoving the now neatly folded uniform into Bomi’s bag.

 

“Uh-huh…,” Bomi nodded absent-mindedly, raising her arms to wear her jacket.

 

“Aunty will be so mad if she knows you’re playing soccer again… right before your test.” Baekhyun eyed Bomi when the girl put all her stuffs inside her post-man bag and carried it in her shoulder.

 

“If she knows… And she doesn’t need to know, right?”

 

“… I’m going to cover for you again, am I?” Baekhyun scoffed.

 

Bomi just grinned.

 

***

 

Baekhyun stopped in his track, staring at the soccer field in front of him. His neighbor, child-hood friend, taekwondo-buddies, somewhat good friend-ish, Bomi, was playing as the goal-keeper now, her long brownish hair made into a messy bun, loose strands flying over as the owner moves.

 

Her eyes were trained on something, and Baekhyun followed the gaze. The ball was on their team’s possession right now, Minseok dribbling it over, he kicked the ball and the ball jumped across the field to Luhan on the other side. He caught the ball with his chest. The ball dropped down to his leg and with a swift movement Luhan kicked the ball far away to their opponent’s goalpost.

 

Luhan made a victory run with his index finger up in the air when he scored a goal, his team mates running towards him to hug him and lift him, with Minseok as the first one to reach him. 

 

Baekhyun’s eyes back to Bomi, and the girl was jumping around in her place.

 

Baekhyun walked over to the bench on the side of the field, some players greeted him with a nod when they saw him. Baekhyun nodded back, he’s pretty familiar with the guys from his frequent visits to Bomi’s soccer practices.

 

The coach signaled for player substitutions and Bomi walked out from the field, replaced by the real goal-keeper. Bomi’s face lightened when she saw Baekhyun on the bench. Baekhyun took out a cold canned drink from his bag and gave it to her.

 

“Thanks,” Bomi slumped down next to Baekhyun. “How’s the study session?” she asked after finishing her drink. She said to her mom that she would go to the study session with Baekhyun, but then of course they separated in the way.

 

“I copied the notes for you,” Baekhyun answered, his eyes following the ball’s movement in the field.

 

“Thanks a lot,” Bomi grinned, throwing her used towel at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun grimaced and threw the towel back. “You’ll take a shower at my place?”

 

“Do you need to ask?” Because it’s not the first time Baekhyun lied to Bomi’s parents, saying that Bomi went to study or play with him when in the reality Bomi played soccer. Usually after the practices Bomi would take a shower at Baekhyun’s place before she went home.  

 

“Bomi-ah! You’re done playing?” the baby-liked voice took their attention. Chorong walked to the bench, floral patterned dress and a cute tote bag accompanied with a matching flat shoes.

 

“Oh, Unnie!”

 

“Aaah, I want to see you play, but I guess I’m too late,” Chorong pouted, sitting next to Bomi. “What’s the score?”

 

“Ah, we’re winning, two to zero. It’s okay, Unnie, thank you for coming. Where are you from?” and the two girls continued to chat.

 

Baekhyun tuned out the girls’ conversation.

 

Baekhyun watched the game mindlessly.

 

Baekhyun noticed Luhan in the field glanced to them.

 

Baekhyun looked to his side from the corner of his eye.

 

Baekhyun returned his gaze to the game.

 

Baekhyun caught Luhan stole another glance at them.

 

Baekhyun was not stupid.

 

“Hello?” Chorong answered her ringing phone with a bright smile. “Um, Oppa! I’m watching Bomi’s game right now… But I’m too late, she’s already played…,” her voice became distinct when Chorong walked to the side to have some privacy.

 

Bomi watched Chorong’s back with a scrunched up nose. “Ah, boyfriend, so jealous…,” she mumbled before turned back to watch the match. “… GO MINSEOK OPPA!” Baekhyun flinched because Bomi’s shout was no joke.

 

Baekhyun stared as Bomi on his side making various expressions over the match. “… Why don’t you just stop?” he asked quietly, finally voicing the question that had been on his head since… Baekhyun didn’t remember since when, but even though now he had the guts to ask, he didn’t dare to look at Bomi’s face.

 

“… Stop...?” Bomi’s voice trailed off.

 

“I’m not talking about the soccer. … Well, guess that’s too.”

 

“Oh.” Then, “How do you know?”

 

Baekhyun thought it over.

 

Bomi started to play soccer because of her brother, Doojoon, and she continued to play even when Doojoon stopped – he found guitar and music were more interesting. That’s how Bomi got close to Minseok, who was in Doojoon’s soccer club and happened to be their senior in Park’s Dojo.

 

Baekhyun once asked why Bomi kept on playing soccer.

 

Is it fun? Do you like it that much? Aunty complained to me yesterday, she said you’re too tomboy, there won’t be any boys that like you. And you keep on getting bruises, what kind of girl has that many scars?

 

Bomi gave him a small smile at that time. Not really? I want to try for cheer-leading too, you know…

 

Then why don’t you?

 

Bomi shrugged. I don’t know? They said I’m good. And then she grinned sheepishly.

 

Baekhyun chose to not answer the question. “… I don’t understand him either. He knows Chorong Noona’s taken.”

 

Bomi turned her head at Baekhyun so fast that Baekhyun had a little worried mind she might snapped her neck in the process. “You know about that too?! How?”

 

Baekhyun shrugged.

 

He first knew Luhan when the blond, insanely good-looking guy showed up in the dojo to pick-up Minseok, his best friend. Apparently, Luhan was also in the same soccer club, so when he came over to the Dojo, Bomi accompanied him when Minseok had something to talk with their instructor. That one time became a routine, and between the first time Luhan came to the Dojo and his fifth, somehow he already befriended, or at least knew, almost every student in the Dojo, including Chorong and Baekhyun. Baekhyun might or might not realize how Luhan’s eyes always seemed to search for something, or someone, and how the searching stopped when Chorong’s present.

 

“… It’s not easy to… give up, you know?” Bomi smiled wryly as she looked far away to the field – to Luhan, no doubt. “You don’t get to choose who you like… Well maybe to some people…”

 

“And you’re not mad at Chorong Noona?”

 

Bomi chuckled. “No, why should I? She’s not at wrong…She’s beautiful, strong-willed, she learns taekwondo but still managed to look fragile enough that the boys want to protect her. She’s nice, too. I’d like her too if I’m a boy.” Bomi sighed – a long, defeated one.

 

Baekhyun patted Bomi’s back, only frowned a little when his palm met Bomi’s wet shirt.

 

“But, seriously, how do you know? About Luhan Oppa’s feelings to Chorong Unnie… and my feelings to him. I don’t think anyone’s noticed, am I that obvious?”

 

Baekhyun turned his head at Chorong, who still on the phone with obvious glee on her face, then at Luhan on the field, glancing here and there at Chorong, and then at Bomi, who still stared at him with curious look.

 

“No, you’re not,” Baekhyun said, reassuring the girl. “It’s me, I’m good at noticing things like this. I’m like a Love Guru or something.”

 

Bomi snorted and nudged Baekhyun’s shoulder with her own. “Yeah, right, whatever you say… HOWON OPPA, LUHAN OPPA IS ON YOUR LEFT!” She shouted to the field again.

 

It’s not hard to see who Bomi likes, Baekhyun thought as he secretly glanced at her, but maybe it had something to do with the fact he always had his eyes on her.

 


 

Waaaa I see some readers from Closer, Closer and I already got upvotes too, thank you so much!!! (●´□`)♡

I actually kind of like this pairing. I mean, both are main vocals, both of them learn Taekwondo/Hapkido (I know it's a little bit different, but still...), they're blood type are O (O get along very well with each others, trust me), they don't care about image (yoonrilla & light dance, seriously), and their couple name could be BaBo actually hahahaha.