Booze & Cheesy Puffs

⌈It's Just A Four Letter Word⌋

 

 



Booze & Cheesy Puffs
November 26th



 

Chandeliers, hand-woven rugs, intricately carved woodwork - They were everywhere. The administration part of the building must have been at least a hundred years old, and it was twice the size of the one back at JeonSang. The group of seventeen made their way into the grand foyer decorated with simple cream walls and rich, dark wood.  

Pausing by the large circular table in the middle of the space housing an extravagant flower arrangement of crimson and white, Vice Director Kwon clasped her hands neatly in front of her. "You've all had a long trip; supper has been prepared in the dining hall but first, please take a tag and write your name on your luggage." She gestured her hand to her left with poise. The students, along with ShinJae, did as they were directed and made for the overwrought arrangement almost doubling ChanYeol’s shoulders width.

Finishing up with her task, OkCha returned her attention to the flower arrangement. “They’re so beautiful. Whoever made that arrangement clearly enjoys what they do.”

Kwon diverted her eyes to the woman inspecting the flowers from up close. “Red spider lily, Dogwood, and-”

“-Mountain Laurel; yes, I know.” OkCha glanced up to meet the stoic gaze of the teacher. Almost flinching under the cold survey, the art major tilted her head and went back to inspecting the flora. “Lycoris Radiata, Cornus Florida, and Kalmia Latifolia.”

Slanting her slender jaw up a fraction, the icy edge from Kwon’s voice melted with a hum. “I think you’ll find yourself at home in our botany club, Sophia Gun.”

Instantly straightening up at the mention of the name she hadn’t heard a person speak in what felt like forever, OkCha’s eyes shot to the Vice Director.

Covering as a blithe chuckle escaped small lips, Kwon inclined her head towards the new student. “Do you think we let just anyone in here?” Taking a breath, she folded her right fingers over the top of her left knuckles delicately as her right thumbs interlocked under her palm. “We checked up on every single one of you.” Placing her hands in front of her stomach, the teacher gave a small smile. “Which means I know Byun BaekHyun Gun is not supposed to be here, also.” The woman barely scraping 4’8’’ gave a hazy smile as the addressed turned at the mention of his name. Her prior hard expression has softened some, although it did not ease the JeonSang students whom had been listening at all. For all of her minuteness, and her poise, and her manners, and her classical beauty, it was very clear that the youthful woman had not merely warmed up to them just because OkCha was the walking plant Wikipedia.

There was something stern about her, something about that petite frame and voice like mist that screamed she was not somebody meek and fragile, certainly not a person to be toyed with. It was a fact as sure as it was dark outside.


 

Once the group had finished up tagging their belongings, the JeonSang students and their carer had been ushered into the main dining hall. Above the strong, welcoming aroma of the food which had been prepared for them, a slight tinge of cleaning products could not be ignored.

Filing in through the double, glass-topped doors in single file on the right side of the floor - as the notice above the door instructed - the newcomers filtered inside the banquet hall.

The space was huge. Ridiculously so, and even more elaborate than the foyer, just like Hogwarts, as their Student Council President had joked. This annex of the building itself was only one actual floor, with a wide interior balcony spanning a little higher than a usual second floor height.

Six chandeliers hung from the main girder running from head to tail of the hall, with several smaller sconces on the walls between the French doors flanking either. Almost everything was dark wood: From the matching tables and engraved chairs, to the shelves no bigger than an A4 piece of paper which held seasonal flowers in delicate vases at corners. Grand ink paintings in minimalistic frames filled up the spaces below the rafters, and the intricately carved door frames made of mahogany gleamed despite being handled daily. Even the floor which was walked upon by hundreds of thousands of shoes each year held a superior glossy shine.

From the imposing exterior, to lifeless hallways they been shepherded through so far, everything was European Gothic and ancient Oriental meets sophisticated five-star hotel.

Leading the group through the door they’d come in through, Vice Director Kwon stood by the single chair at the head of the runner table and held her hand out in gesture. “Please take your seats.” Waiting until the group had done so, she eased into her own chair. “I’m very glad that all of you could join us.” Unlike with their initial meeting, or dealing with ShinJae, none of the JeonSang students thought about making a snide remark. Instead, all eyes were on the female Vice Director as she sat a good fifteen inches from the table with her back straight against the carved rest and her hands on her lap.

“Our letters told us that we would be taking part in an improvement program,” The supposed leader of the group started to speak and a few of the others looked to him to see what was going to be asked. “So wh...” JunMyeon’s words trailed off as he tensed under the gaze.

“What is the point in bringing you all out here?” Kwon held her hands up by her chest. “It’s a very reasonable question.” She took a breath and set her eyes on the questioner whom had stilled under pressure. “The answer is, for a number of reasons. We’re the best private academic institution in Asia.” Inspecting each of the faces for a second of two, the authoritarian paused a moment before continuing. “We take on exceptional students and help them fulfil their full potential. Simply put, we cant just have anybody come here, asking for handouts, nor selca’s.”

Dragging an original nineteenth century chair across an equally old floor, the blonde placed it at the bottom of the table facing the Vice Director. Sitting down, InHyeon glanced to the three sets of cutlery placed out beside the white China plate with a gold rim. Itching the corner of her nose with her ring finger, her free hand altered the position of the set up in front of YiXing, who was to her right. “If you’re looking for shiny new playthings to buff and put out into dressage, I think you have the wrong group of people.”

Taking note of the action, something that only two of the others had done with their own placements, Kwon held her palms up in a show of honesty. “On the contrary, InHyeon Gun, the Doctor thinks you’re the most promising group since he started this venture.”

“Flattery is my lifeblood, but,” Ria cut in before her peer could piss off their new warden. “I think what Hyeon Seonbaenim said is right.” Snapping her head to the right, the blonde glared at the redhead for the shabby address. Still, Ria kept her attention on fixing what was clearly a test of terrible dining. “What do you want from us?” Heavily lined eyes slid up to meet those of the woman two seats down.

The corner of Kwon’s lips pinched. Inhaling a breath, she leaned against the back off of her chair for the first time. “Besides advanced classes, you’ll all be given private missions.” her thin lips, the staff member crossed one leg over the other. “Before you all get ahead of yourselves, allow me to explain the history of your new home.”

Leaning to MinSeok, JongIn started. “I’m...”

“It’s...” JangMi was ready to ask when JongDae cut in with another whisper.

“We-”

“Do not whisper in my presence!” Kwon slammed her hand on the table older than all of the students combined. Watching her new brood flinch and tense with unease, the Vice Director continued as if her outburst had not occurred. "The original school was established in 1798 and was a much more traditional style compound of teaching hanoks. The majority of what you see now was rebuilt between 1869 and 1896 after a fire destroyed the original site. By the turn of the twenty first century, the institute was renamed Gangwon's International School for Exceptional Ladies and Gentlemen.” Kwon paused and looked over her new charges to make sure they were all listening to her. “At any one time, we hold between 800 and 1,600 students ranging from the ages of twelve to twenty eight from around the globe. This school is extremely exclusive and only a select number of people are taken in." After taking a sip from the glass of water in front of her, the prim and proper female continued. "There are a few rules here and they're all listed on the back of your common-room doors. Once you've finished with your food, you’ll be escorted to back to your dorms." Easing herself out of her seat gracefully, the short brunette finished what she was saying and bowed her head before leaving.

Each student glanced to one another, not daring to speak a word until BaekHyun broke the silence. “I enjoy high maintenance as much as the next guy, but holy , that woman made my invert.”

Shoving her index finger towards the obvious mistake in the order of the cutlery in front of the man beside her, Ria scoffed when he reached out over her plate to prod at the seafood platters. “You’re not even supposed to be here.”

Inspecting the whole crab in front of her, KiSe broke off a leg and sniffed it. “It’s fine; we’ll use him as the first sacrifice to Satan.”

BaekHyun’s line of sight shot back and forth between the two redheads. “That’s not even funny; I bet they do take part in Black Mass here.”

Watching the back and forth between those who had never spoken before now, InHyeon glanced to her brother. The man must have felt the glower directed at the side of his head but as soon as he had turned around, the blonde was having her ear chewed on one side by ChanYeol, as the other side was made home for the vice grip of a morbid looking girl in all-black.

OkCha stirred her soup, as did the man across from her, although ChanYeol had a lot more excitement on his face as he scoured the dishes he’d never seen before. JongDae noticed the recoiled frames of the females across from him and patted an empty space on the table between the splay of dishes. Swallowing the liquid, he smiled. “It’s not poisoned; you should eat.” At the top of the table, JongIn and EunAh continued their conversation over who was most likely to win the newest TV dance competition they were going to miss due to the Improvement Program.


 

The men had arrived at their dorm in a prompt fashion. MinSeok, as the oldest, had decided - Or rather, had been forced - to go in first after talks of ghosts due to the appearance and history of the building, “just in case”. The eldest had scouted the dark space in search of a light. Sticking his arm in and smacking the wall, BaekHyun illuminated the space lined with wooden wall panelling and expensive furniture. A cluster of leather loungers and sofas were off to the right side of the main room with a low coffee table in front of the open wood fireplace. Thankfully, there was nothing out to get them. Next in was YiXing and JunMyeon, and they too saw nothing life threatening. Along with the lounge area, there were four doors which they presumed to be bedrooms; and a small open-plan kitchen area. At the back of the room and to the left by the dining table nestled in the bay of the main window, the group's luggage was gathered in wait for them. On said table was an envelope and a two bottles of bourbon.

JunMyeon, as the 'leader', advanced for the suspicious item. Looking to the others for what they wanted him to do about it, the second eldest peeled back the seal.

"'Congratulations of your arrival. Please enjoy your stay.
The general rules are on the back of every door.
Until Monday morning, please enjoy yourself and familiarize yourselves with your new home.'”

JongIn, who had been closest to the main door, turned to face the back of the barrier and read off the checklist. "1, Anyone of the opposite must leave by 10pm on a week night and 11:30pm during the weekend. 2, Do not seal from another student. 3, Please be considerate and keep music and chatter to a reasonable volume. 4, Do not walk the grounds after dark by yourself. 5, 80 points per week must be made up by taking classes. Failure to do so will result in serious consequences. 6, Most importantly, violence of any kind is a highly punishable offence."

JongDae picked up one of the single sheets of paper off the table and read over the words. "Class listing: Study Temps." The man went quiet as he read over the list, but just as quickly started up again. "Subjects: Mathematics, Literature, Science, History, Music, Sports, Geography, Art, Languages..." Peering up at the others, JongDae’s expression brightened. "This should be a breeze. Each class is 5 points. And there's extracurricular activities that will be mentioned on notice boards in all of the public spaces."

JunMyeon spoke as he slipped the original letter back into the envelope. "Surely some classes are held at the same time, meaning to make up out marks, we'd have to attend lessons we're not so good with." Walking over to the open fireplace, the second oldest placed the information on the intricately carved mantle and under a brass figurine of a stag for safe keeping.

"That's why he always come first." YiXing noted as he shuffled away to check his luggage.

Taking off his coat and throwing it aside, BaekHyun quipped. "I'm sure."

"Hey!" The Number One slapped his junior on the arm with a hurt pout.

"Sorry Hyung," The music major pinched in the corners of his lips as he shrugged. "you just seem like that type."

With a scoff, JunMyeon turned his nose up and moved around the coffee table, out of the way. "I don't want to hear that from you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" The younger man followed, curious about the way his senior had said what he had.

Ignoring the game of cat and mouse, JongIn removed his coat and hung it on the old fashioned standing rack behind the door. "What should we do now? The letter said we have the weekend to ourselves.” He turned back to the others for some ideas. “I think that going to sleep now would be a waste."

"Hyung, do you still have your cards?" ChanYeol asked MinSeok.

Bouncing over to the cases lined up at the other end of the room, JongDae flounced. "Let's get some music going."

"I brought my blu-tooth deck." The tallest flapped his arms like a madman and went about collecting the mentioned device.

"Whoever loses a round has to take a shot." MinSeok pulled out a chair and took a seat at the long, narrow table situated along the span of curtains covering the bay window. Shuffling the cards that had been arranged with his prior game, the eldest peered up with a smirk. "The ranking can decide the bedrooms."

"I agre-hugh." SeHun sung as he fell backwards over the arm of the sofa.

YiXing turned around from rooting through his suitcase. Holding up a metallic bag that was bigger than his head, the foreigner smiled. "We can use this bag of Cheesy Puffs as chips for poker."


Meanwhile in the girl's dorm...

Unlike for the guy's, no alcohol was left as a gift. Instead, bouquets of flowers which were placed out in vases with fancy cards attached to them were placed on the coffee table. At this point, the women had no idea about such a difference.

Thanks to the warped minds of the of the six females, they still had the necessities for a good time. Before the letter on the table had even been noticed, JangMi had already been charged with setting up Ria's laptop and along with the music major’s speakers. Without asking, the eldest had already claimed the furthest room to the left and threw her luggage on the bed closest to the window.

Returning to the main room with an unlit joint between her lips, the blonde held up a bottle in each hand. "Room 'A' is mine."

"Seems like we had the same idea." KiSe told as she pulled a bottle of Malibu and two bottles of vodka from her case.

"Snap." Ria flipped open the lid of her suitcase to reveal a couple of bottles Tequila and bubblegum shots among the designer stilettos and mini dresses.

“I always wondered how girls like you stayed so skinny.” JangMi ventured over to the fridge and looked inside. Her prayers had been answered; there were two dozen bottles of water stacked up inside. “You get all of your daily intake via alcohol.” Taking one of the bottles of mineral water, the raven haired female used her hip to shut the fridge door.

"Poor guys," OkCha mumbled while checking all of her cases were together. "They're probably sitting around twiddling their thumbs, not knowing what to do."

"Isn't JunMyeon Seonbaenim your brother?” EunAh asked a little below the volume of everyone else. “Maybe you should call and ask...”

Popping her head up like a meerkat, the blonde nodded at the dancer. "Good idea, Doll."

EunAh blinked in startled wonder. "Doll?" She asked as she took a packet of snacks from her suitcase.

Throwing her phone onto the window sill by her knee, InHyeon went back to Jimmying one of the bay windows open with a butter knife and the iron soot shovel from the set by the open fireplace. Trying not to drop the vice hanging from her lips, the blonde mumbled. "You look like one of those porcelain ballerina's in a musical jewellery box." Her words strained as she applied brute force. With the pop of wood separating, ash fell onto the blonde’s black jeans.

EunAh wasn't sure whether the statement was supposed to be a snarky remark, but she took it as a compliment regardless.

"Let's play..." KiSe inspected the faces of her fellow dorm mates and grinned. "Truth or dare." Bringing the booze over to the narrow table, she made a second trip with glasses from the display unit. "Come on." She urged the rest of the group, patting the soon to be work top as she dropped down into her seat.

"To make it fair, shouldn’t we write down questions, and then pick them out randomly?" OkCha told as she sat down and placed her writing pad out in front of her.

"Cool with me." Ria agreed as she pooled her own drinks to the growing accumulation and downed a shot before the game had even started.

With that, the art major ripped a few sheets of paper from her cheaper notepad and handed one to each women so that they could write down their questions and dares.

Almost ripping the ancient sliding window from its hinge, the blonde grunted and teetered on the ledge with her phone to her ear. "Jjangjamyeon-Ah~ What are you doing?" InHyeon kicked her left leg out of the window just as she got an answer.

“Jjangjamyeon? Black Bean noodles?” JangMi frowned, unsure of whether she had misheard. “Is she calling her brother, or ordering take-out?”

Lighting the end of a fresh roll-up with one hand, the blonde held the phone to her right ear with the other. "What do you mean, 'How much have I drank?’” The blonde leaned out and stared down at the thick snow making the shrubbery three floors down look like fluffy clouds. “Ah, clearly not enough.” She inhaled a breath of the pungent smoke. “Hah! You got booze?” Choking on smoke, the blonde spat. “We got flowers. in’ flowers!” With a splutter, she flapped her hand madly and flakes of ash scattered both inside and out of the window. “Calm down-Ouh- Isn’t that your sayin’?”

KiSe chuckled at the same-old dysfunctionality of her friend and her brother as she poured a round of drinks for the others.

The women sat at the table scribbled down their questions, folded the slips, and then placed the questions and dares into two separate glass mixing bowls.

"Aiiish~, tell me." InHyeon shook her shoulders violently and a handful of her dorm mates laughed at the terrible aegyo coming from the usually hard-faced woman - The other half panicked at the sight of the woman tempting fate on the ledge. "Ah, cards. We're playing truth or dare." The eldest laughed maniacally and then sung jokingly. "No, we will mention you.” InHyeon pressed loud-speaker button and held the device towards the table.

“Opppaaarrr!” KiSe schrieked.

“We’re coming for you.” Ria chimed down the line extended to her.

Pulling the phone back, InHyeon ducked back outside of the window. Inhaling the burning cold air and pungent fumes of her vice, the female lowered her voice. “I’m gonna give you no choice but to lighten up this time.”

“Please don’t.” JunMyeon’s sigh escaped him.

“See you later, bro.” Ending the call, the blonde shoved the device back in her pocket with a struggle and took another drag on her roll-up before flicking the end flying into the air.

Glancing up from folding her questions, KiSe's eyes landed on the female picking up the bottle of vodka. "What did he say?"

Having one leg out of the window and the other resting on the old iron radiator, the sports major took a deep drag on her vice. "That they're playing poker with Cheesy Puffs for chips. And he told me to tell everyone not to ask questions about them."

"The questions are already done." EunAh informed as she shuffled the slips of paper.

Quirking her brow, Ria cooed. “The questions can not be undone by the law of Girl’s Sleepovers!”

"Who's first?" OkCha asked.

"Age before beauty." JangMi playfully wiggled her pointing finger towards the eldest.

“I’m gonna use my age card to...to go second.”

“Boo, you .”

“EunAh, you’re next.”

 



Updated: 4th January 2019 - 16:05