Culture Shock

⌈It's Just A Four Letter Word⌋

 



Culture Shock
November 26th



 


Three hours. Three hours their supposed coordinator, Park ShinJae - a man used to travelling across country for sports tournaments - had said. The journey had already taken two and a half, if the the measly break wasn’t to be counted at half-time. Which it shouldn’t. The ‘rest stop’ was a pause at a decrepit brick building around the size of one of their class rooms, which was just off a countryside road and surrounded by mountainous forestry. There were two doors, one stating the crude character for ‘Female’, and the other ‘Male’; three vending machines beginning to be taken over by vines under the slight overhanging roof shielding the entrance to the restrooms, and a payphone missing the actual phone on the other side of the patch of weedy gravel which was once probably, maybe, a car park for around a dozen standard sized cars. It most likely looked awful in daylight, but at night and under the flickering ecru of the solitary streetlight and heavy snowfall, it was downright terrifying. They were in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by woodland, the wind howling through the highlands. They hadn’t seen a road that had been tarmacked in the last two decades in over an hour, and now they were expected to pee in a brick hut that looked like the mouth of Hell.

Almost bursting after drinking alcohol at lunch time and having to sit through the bumpy travel, MinSeok was the first give in. Heaving a breath of the cold air into his lungs, the brunet hopped off the transport and marched towards the designated door of the decomposing cube across the untouched snow. Bouncing from one foot to another, InHyeon was suffering from the same affliction as her senior. “You’re not really going in there, are you?” She inhaled a lungful of smoke as she stood on a nerve, debating whether it was worth being murdered by whatever B-rate movie monster was lurking in the mystery bathroom covered in spindly weeds.

Panting with his brows furrowed, MinSeok construed his face and shook his shoulders like a child about to throw a tantrum. “I really have to go.”

Grimacing as her senior reached out a gloved hand for the door, KiSe mumbled while standing next to InHyeon at the little picnic table just by the path. “You’re a guy - just pee behind the building.”

Looking at the female pair, MinSeok forced a smile. “I’m a nationally ranked martial artist; what’s there to be scared of?” He grabbed the handle and pulled it down, pushing the barrier with his other hand. “A-Ahah-ahah...It won’t open.” The nervousness in his voice was becoming more apparent - As was the anxious shaking of the handle and the sweat beginning to bead on his face despite the sub zero temperature.

By this time, the rest of the group beside ShinJae and SeHun, who were sleeping in their seats, and Ria who refused to go anywhere near the restrooms that looked like it was a cesspool for disease, had gathered at the doors. YiXing pressed his shoulder against the barrier and nodded to MinSeok as a sign to try again. After a few moments, the rest of the men were shoving and kicking at the door. Even the driver whom had got out to take a quick cigarette break was trying to help.

The women watched on in confusion as to why they were getting so worked up. It was like watching a cheesy drama about high school comradery. Taking shelter under the slight overhanging roof, InHyeon and KiSe took the opportunity to indulge their nicotine cravings. Standing a few paces away, EunAh and OkCha made awkward small talk as JangMi crouched down with her back against the wall. In the midst of the yelling coming from the male group, OkCha’s eyes landed on the door she had taken little interest in up until this point. Waiting until EunAh had finished what she was saying, the art major stepped forward two paces and took the handle of the female restroom door with a fluffy gloved hand. Twisting the handle down, she brought her elbow back. With a creek, the wood groaned and the hinges squeaked, but the door opened to reveal pitch blackness. The commotion fizzled out and all eyes landed on the woman of few words. A silence agreed upon by even the elements brought shame to the men.

“Pft.” A small, unintentional laugh passed EunAh’s lips.

OkCha glanced to the men. “It’s a ‘Pull’ door...” The underlying disdain in her voice caused the men to avoid eye contact.

“Dumb s.” Chuckling among themselves, the two smokers tossed the ends of their vices into the snow. “Aye, Jay,” turning away from belittling her male counterparts, InHyeon addressed the crouching female. “you don’t look so good.”

Eyes watering and stomach churning, JangMi didn’t need to say a word. As soon as she looked up, she retched. “How long is it going to take to get there?” in a deep breath, the raven haired female ran her hand over her clammy face. “We’re going to end up in North Korea at this rate.”

Quickly finishing up in the rest room, the first half of the men staggered out into the fresh air. Hacking for a breath, MinSeok, YiXing, and JongIn coughed and spluttered at the stink they’d had to endure. “The water’s not working.”

Helping JangMi to her feet, InHyeon glanced back over her shoulder. “KiSe always carries hand sanitizer in her purse; ask her if you can use some, or buy a bottle of water from the vendor, if it’s not cultivating a new form of life already...”

JongDae, whom had been waiting for his turn to relieve himself, had already popped a few coins into the slot of the only working machine. After some violent shaking, a smack and a grunt, a bottle of water dropped down into the small well at the bottom. Retrieving his item, the music major opened the lid and was about to put the rim to his lips when the majority of the females returned to the night air.

“Don’t you think you should check that there’s nothing growing in that?” EunAh grimaced as she noticed the man to her right.

Doing as he was advised, JongDae held the bottle up to his eyes, using the flickering street light of the car park to check for anything out of the ordinary. Squinting under the sparse light, the music major focused on the liquid at the bottom. His mouth opened slowly, and then a yelp escaped him when realization hit. “What the Hell is that?” In his panic, he threw the bottle in a spasm.

“KiSe Ssi” and a chorus of variations cried out as a flock of men followed the tall redhead on her way back to the bus. “Please - Hand sanitizer - save me” were repeated over and over again by those who had ventured into the dark to relieve themselves.

Helping the woman she knew to be severely travel sick into the bathroom, InHyeon squatted over the seat in the next cubicle along with a handful of tissues. “Don’t touch the seat, Jay.” The blonde called into the darkness.

“Don’t worry, I w-hrghhhhh-” The sound of vomit splashing into the bottom of the toilet bowl seemed amplified in the confined black space.

Beginning to smell the sour tinge, InHyeon jet forced the end of her flow in knowing that if she got a full whiff of the puke, she’d be yacking for what was left of the night. Wiping herself with a couple of tissues she had in her bag, she flushed. Or at least, attempted to. The plumbing grumbled and the blonde got the Hell out of the cubicle before she had even pulled her pants up. Struggling to co-ordinate her t-shirt and jeans with her jacket in the way, she kicked her legs about. Just as JangMi came out of the cubicle, the blonde had finished fighting with her clothing looking only slightly better.

“Let’s get out of here; it’s creepy, and it stinks.”

Swaying as her nausea subsided, the shorter female hummed. “All I can smell is vomit.” Her words were nasally and her eyes watered.


Snow continued to pour down on the desolate road lined with thicket and the atmosphere inside the coach was a little less than okay. The overseer was still asleep in the seat behind the driver and snoring his empty head off while said driver was overtaken by random bouts of strange whistling. With the fact night had fully set in, they were speeding out in the middle of nowhere, and the man's unsettling habit, it was basically the offset of The Shining if it had been set on the road. All that was missing was the psychosis and the murdering, but even that was sure to come if they didn’t arrive at their destination soon. On the second to last row, EunAh had curled her legs up beneath her and was leaning on her armrest with her headphones in as she watched the blurred scenery pass her by. Her seatmate had passed out with his head against the window long ago.

Lurching forward in his seat, JunMyeon scrunched his brows and huffed. "Can you stop smoking in here?" His eyes landed on the blonde right in front of him who was half leaning out of her open window. "You and KiSe are the only ones who do it, and it's just being selfish to everyone else."

Pulling herself in and taking a purposely long drag, InHyeon turned around and blew the smoke in the direction of her brother's face with a smirk as she knelt on her seat. "How about you shut your mouth and sit back, and then you won't breath it in as much."

"Aish!" He slapped the headrest of the chair in front and slid back into the leather. Face to the window with his arms crossed over his chest like a child, JeonSang's Number One pouted.

"That told her." Ria, who was sat beside JunMyeon , chuckled as she refreshed the internet browser on her phone. Perplexed by the sudden shutdown with the piece of technology, the auburn haired female looked up to the man sat beside her. "How's your connection?"

Dragged back from mentally strangling his irksome sibling, the older male looked at the female with a scrunched face. "We don’t get along at the best of times.”

Ria shook her phone with a quirked brow. "I meant your internet."

"Oh..." JunMyeon went about searching through his pockets for the device. Checking his screen, he shook his head and turned his phone around to show the woman beside him. "No good; it's been like this from at least the rest stop. I didn't really check beforehand." Shoving the device back into his trouser pocket, he leaned back in the heated seat. "I shouldn't have a problem with internet connection, but I can't even get call signal around her; it must be because there are no local cell towers, or mineral deposits in the hills."

The woman sat beside him rolled her eyes and went back to manically refreshing her browser. “Nerd.”

JunMyeon turned away and ran a hand over his face. He wanted to go home.

A couple of seats behind the driver, JangMi had rested her book on her lap and was choking down another load of anti-travel sickness meds while the man beside her played his umpteenth round of Patience. Fastening the lid back on the bottle of water she’d brought with her, the female glanced over to the small pull-down table in front of her seatmate. Not being able to hold back, the brunette pointed at a certain card among the layout. Surprised by the first interaction from the woman, MinSeok's eyes shot up. He was going to thank JangMi for the help, but the music major had already reopened her book as if he wasn't there.

On the third row, OkCha was actually having a normal conversation with the person she was paired with. For the past half an hour or so, she and JongIn had been discussing the last book's they'd read which had somehow led into talk about a current dance show that was aired every Saturday. JongIn was explaining how he would like to take part in something like that, but his parents found the performing arts a waste of time. Being someone who was often swept up in just about everything creative, OkCha found his truth somewhat depressing; she couldn't imagine being told that she should quit dancing or drawing because it was 'pointless', especially by the people she loved.

At the very back, KiSe and ChanYeol were whispering like they were plotting world domination. The redhead suddenly barked a 'yes' and slapped the lout beside her on the arm. ChanYeol flailed with a yelped 'nuu' and the redhead repeated her answer, which quickly turned into a childish slap-fight.

Oh oh oh oh oppareul saranghae
ah ah ah ah manhi manhi hae~

Every student stopped what they were doing at the sound of the shrillish singing.

"Where's it coming from?"

"Shh." MinSeok squinted and looked around as if he just found out that there was a murderous intruder lurking in their midst.

The vehicle went over a bump and EunAh was suddenly attacked by her comatose seatmate. Squeaking as he blond's head fell on top of hers, the dancer hissed in panic. "At the front." She tried to free herself without simply shoving SeHun to the other side and smacking his head again. "I think it's the Coach's alarm tone."

InHyeon slipped her hand through the gap between the two seats behind her and blindly swatted JunMyeon on the chest and face. "Go and wake him."

"Why me?" He pushed himself back into his seat to avoid the assault, and the blonde’s short reach was made apparent as she clawed at the air in front of her sibling.

"You have his number, you do it; you must be friends." Eyes rimmed with black liner glowered through the gap between the seats. "Plus, that song is pissing me off." Vibration came from InHyeon's jeans pocket and the blonde stopped trying to beat her idiot brother. He knocked the back of her seat in retaliation, but she was already paying attention to her own phone to call him out for it.

Mumbling to himself, JunMyeon scooted out of his seat and made for the front. Stopping beside the teacher with his head back and his mouth open wide, the Student Council President hesitantly reached out to wake the older man up.

Checking the new message, InHyeon quickly leaned over her seatmate and stuck her head out into the aisle as her brother passed. Practically lying over JongDae’s lap, InHyeon's line of sight landed on the suspicious pair on the back row, diagonally across from her. 'What?' She construed her face and mouthed as the man beneath her squirmed.

Gripping either side of his seat, the music major tensed up. "Seonbaeni-I-Ah-think-" Gripping both arm rests, he pushed himself back into his seat with a tensed jaw.

Stretching more to see KiSe sending her hand signs like they were in the midst of an elite military operation, InHyeon blindly patted her new cushion. "Shut up a minute." Holding her finger up to the redhead, the blonde flopped back into her seat, dragged her hold-all up from the foot well, and pulled it onto her knees. Fishing out a hard case, she dropped the luggage and took her glasses out. Haphazardly shoving them on her face, the sport science major went back to leaning over the man beside her. ‘What?’ she mouthed again, this time able to see a little better, but still with the scrunched up expression.

With his teeth gritted and a plastic smile forced on his lips, JongDae mumbled under his breath. "Please stop moving."

"Okay, you little s." ShinJae stood up and stretched while yawning. "We're now on the outer grounds of your new prison. Make sure you have all your stuff," He wiped the drool from the corner of his mouth with the back of his wrist and flapped his papers with his other hand. "because we're gonna arrive in less than five minutes and if you forget anything, it's gonna be tough luck because the driver isn't coming back until January 27th."

Slumping back into her own seat, InHyeon tapped furiously at her phone screen.

"Are you deaf Kim InHyeon, get your toge-" ShinJae paused when the woman glared up.

"It's done." She shot and went back to messaging KiSe.

Frowning at the man beside the bane of his existence, the Coach scoffed. "What's wrong with you, Kim JongDae?" Roughly shaking the shoulder of the addressed, ShinJae mockingly sung. "Do angry 's get you hot, or something?"

Stuck between being mortified and flustered, all JongDae could do was force a smile and squeeze his hand luggage over his lap. "Stomach ache."

"Whatever, ." The authoritarian moved along to check on the others. Stopping two rows before the back, he eyed KiSe and ChanYeol sitting like children that had knowingly done something bad. "I'm not going over there; it's a whole corner of crazy." Shaking his head, ShinJae turned around and returned to his seat. "Hurry it up. Are you guys slow at everything?" Looking at the brunet stood beside him at the top of the aisle, ShinJae grumbled. "Make sure everyone has their stuff, Nerd." Fastening his bag and not paying attention to the students under his care, ShinJae looked away. "And someone save Cho before she suffocates. I don’t want anyone dying while I'm in charge." Flapping his hand over his shoulder, the Coordinator tutted at the effort it took to lead the group.


Like ShinJae had said, the transport had arrived at the main gate within a couple of minutes (Unlike last time, when he had totally miscalculated the time). The grounds itself were vast and blanketed in fresh snow as they steadily approached up the grit road held up by a stone bridge underlined by what appeared to be a moat. The place was extremely quiet with no other people around, but that was to be expected seeing as it was a little before eleven at night.

The coach come to a halt at the humongous wrought iron gates and its surrounding stone walls which were at least two floors high. A man dressed in a security uniform came out of the Guard Post with a clipboard. The driver opened the door and the guard asked for their names. As soon as ShinJae had handed over the necessary documents, the man who had been waiting by the door gave them the go ahead and returned to his post.

"It really is like a prison." Ria said while she watched the architecture start to pass when the vehicle travelled under the arched gateway and down the private road lined with high standing, black iron lamps.

“Have you been to many prison’s Ria Ssi?” JongDa asked in jest but the female looked as him and shrugged one shoulder with a hint of a smirk.

After passing under the structure that was reminiscent of a castle entryway, neatly kept grass lawns either side of the road where blanketed white and flanked towards the main building that was just within sight. Where they would be staying was lit up both inside and out, illuminating the carpet of snow surrounding the unnecessarily large structure made from slate grey stone.

"Is this a joke?" JongIn looked across to KiSe and ChanYeol and asked in awe.

JunMyeon chuckled and went about packing his phone and drink away. "No, it's Hogwarts."

"Very funny."

Making it to the front of their new place of study and accommodation, the group began to get antsy. This was too much; the place really did look like something from a fantasy novel. And even worse than that was that there was no escape if the guarded perimeter was anything to go by. The coach came to a full stop and the engine died out. Silence crept up on the university students and no one dared to move. Saying that their current predicament was a culture shock was an understatement.

"Bring your things and line up." ShinJae told as he skipped down the steps and out into the bitter night air.

As soon as the teacher had got out of sight, InHyeon practically threw JongDae out of the way and staggered to the back of the vehicle. Stopping in front of the dopey duo at sat on the back seats, the blonde demanded answers for the messages she'd received. "What the Hell?" KiSe leaned forward and lifted the coat up that was covering hers and ChanYeol's legs. Not even a second passed when the eldest threw her hands up and turned her face away. "Are you complete in' morons?"

"Noona, we need help." ChanYeol wiggled his shoulders like a toddler.

"You're not in' wrong." Pointing at the huddled up man in the shared footwell as if he was some sort of diseased animal, the sport science major asked exasperated. "What-Why?" Her features spasmed as she tried to comprehend what had possessed her friends to make such a decision.

Fixing her eye makeup, KiSe nibbled the inside of her lower lip. "How are we going to get him past the teachers?"

"You're not." Horror crossed the pair's faces at what the eldest was saying. "What, it's not like he'll be sent back. You're just going to walk off the coach like you're supposed to be here." With a huff, she kicked the man in the footwell.

"He's not supposed to be here, though." ChanYeol stated the obvious and earned himself a glare.

Crossing her arms under her s, the tall blonde scolded. "You should have thought about that before we left."

"Noona~" Came from the pile of belongings and instantly, InHyeon kicked the man who had been hiding again, this time with more force.

"Don't you-Just..." The blonde ran her hands back over her hair in dismay. "Do as you're told and I'll speak to ShinJae." Not waiting for a compromise to be pitched, the eldest marched away only to stop beside her brother gently trying to wake SeHun. With a slap across the youngest's head, SeHun flopped forward and smacked his forehead off the seat in front, startling him awake. InHyeon scoffed at her sibling before continuing on her way. "Grow a backbone."

"This is all your fault." KiSe snapped at the man beside her as she stomped her feet in a fit, causing the stowaway to crawl out into the middle of the aisle to avoid the tantrum.

"Mine?" ChanYeol croaked as though he'd been slapped.

Snatching her bags, KiSe stood up and stretched. "He's your friend." Almost standing on the crawling man’s hand as she stepped over him, the redhead marched down the aisle and out of the door.

A few minutes went by of the JeonSang students collecting their things from the external storage compartment and finally lining up at the foot of steps leading to the main entrance. Like it had been doing for the past few days, snow floated down on the group looking over the intimidating face of their temporary new lives. InHyeon had done as she said she would and had spoke with ShinJae over the latest mishap, and surprisingly, the Coach had said nothing besides a casual insult directed at the stow-away and his accomplices. On the other hand, JunMyeon with the help of MinSeok were attempting to keep SeHun on his feet without looking like they were so obviously propping the drunken student up.

Now, stood waiting atop of the stone steps, two of the school's faculty inspected the newest brood. Walking down to meet the man watching over the group, a suited female as flat as a board smiled. The expression gave off that she wasn't as placid as she played as her eyes glanced over each of the students. "I'm the Vice Director, Kwon HyeRin. Welcome to Gangwon's International School for Exceptional Ladies and Gentlemen."

Oh .

 



Updated: 1st January 2019 - 21:15



Author's Note:
I just want to thank you all again for subscribing, upvoting, and commenting. It makes me cry tears of glitter (and ethanol, probably).