The Beginning of the End

⌈It's Just A Four Letter Word⌋

 



The Beginning of the End
November 26th



 

16:45

The majority of those who had received the infamous invitations reported to the auditorium as they had been instructed. The space was bare and cold, and only the front lights above the stage were on as a deadly silence reverberated throughout. Stood on the stage in front of the podium was their Vice Dean, Lee HyunJin, along with two other teachers stood some feet behind him; one was a scowling middle aged man wearing a baseball jacket, and the other was a docile looking young woman twiddling a pen with a sparkly pompom on the end.

HyunJin was relatively young for the position, and always looked like a businessman at a bar who’d just got off work with his tie loosened and his hair a little askew. Lackadaisically, the tall overseer scratched the edge of his jaw and sighed at the Manila folder on the podium in front of him. "I’m not waiting any more – I have a life, too, y’know?” He opened his folder and flicked through a few pages. “The Coordinator for this year’s Development Program is the boy's Baseball Coach, Park ShinJae." Lee told drolly and there was a chorus to rival a choir.

With a rush of hisses and groans, the expressions of the group scattered throughout the hall grew downcast at the mention of that specific name. Of all the teachers that could be watching over them that year, they got Park ShinJae. Park had regularly been referred to as 'Damtang' by students for the better part of the last thirteen years of his career. However, he had so much brass that the nickname didn't even make him flinch. In fairness, the man was an and often addressed his pupils with equally demeaning nicknames.

Striding up to the Vice Dean’s right side, ShinJae held up his own list with the student's names printed on it. "Boy's group: Kim JunMyeon, Park ChanYeol, Zhang YiXing, Kim JongDae, Kim JongIn, Kim MinSeok, and Oh SeHun" Running a hand over the top of his head, the Coach with no indoor voice garbled through the names. "Girl's Group: Shin Kise, Cho EunAh, Ahn OkCha, Shin JangMi, Hwang Ria, and Kim I-InHyeo..." Spluttering at the sight of the student's name, ShinJae’s expression visibly morphed from bored to infuriated.

Unlike most of the students who would only name-call behind Park's back, InHyeon had once rage-quit and chucked a cup of scolding coffee on the man after receiving one of his trademark lectures. The only reason that the woman hadn't been expelled and arrested on the spot was because of JunMyeon's literal grovelling in front of a full teacher's lounge. Even after that, it was an uphill struggle for the pair to be in the same room together.

The clatter of the auditorium doors being pushed open snatched the attention of those already present. Suppressing their laughter, two of the eldest victims staggered into large space filled with icy air and matching stares directed at them. Holding her hand up in mock apology, the devil spawn slid two seats along the back row with her company unsteadily following behind her. Giggling at the facetious hissing ticking her ear, InHyeon slapped at the senior who was stating the obvious: they were late.

Teeth gritted at the lack of manners, and the fact of who was violating them, ShinJae scoffed at the pair that was supposed to set an example. "Nice of you to join us."

her lips dramatically, the busty blonde leaned back in the uncomfortable seat. Keeping her eyes on her mortal enemy, she waved her hand facetiously. "Please, continue." Trying to appear to be listening, InHyeon covered as MinSeok continued to provoke her giggles with his close-range whispers and strange noises.
 
Between watching the battle of stares between the student and the teacher - with the latter scrunching up his papers in anger - HyunJin shook his head in dismay and cleared his throat lazily. "Alright, kids, come and grab a checklist and a consent form." Picking up the example booklet that had escaped the Coach's wrath, HyunJin shook the papers.

“Consent form?” KiSe stood up. “I thought this was mandatory.”

“It is, but we can’t very well send you off and have you losing a leg or getting eaten by a wild animal.” HyunJin held his hand up by his shoulder and shook his head slowly. “It’s to prevent us from being sued.”

Of the pair sat at the front, a smiley man raised his hand. “If we have to sign, it isn’t really mandatory, is it?” His tone was light-hearted, but the joker could have very well have found a loophole to save them all.

“Did you think of that all by yourself, Kim JongDae?” The Coach's deprecating tone cut through the curious whispers and his glower redirecting to the addressed instantly shut the room up.

Checking his wristwatch, HyunJin sighed and rolled his eyes. “Don’t sign - get dropped from your course; it's your choice. Is that mandatory enough for you?” Taking no complaints as a sign of conform, the Vice Dean scrunched up the last of the paperwork and shoved it in ShinJae’s jacket pocket. “Collect your forms from Miss Im. She’ll also answer any preliminary questions you have.” Holding his hand up in farewell, HyunJin hopped off the platform. And just like that, the Vice Dean strut past the less than impressed students and out of the side door. The guy might as well have said 'I'm out, es' as he practically sashayed his way towards into his paid vacation.

Silence crept back up on the group of thirteen students and the easily enraged authoritarian. Coughing an exasperated chuckle, ShinJae slammed his hand down on the podium. "Anyone who's late back from collecting your belongings will be left behind."

At the far end of the space and to the left, Ria inspected her nails out of boredom. "Isn't that just giving us a reason to be late?" She glanced up with a raised, finely plucked brow.

Grinning like he knew something they didn't, the Coordinator flapped his hand a little too enthusiastically. "You heard what the VP said: If you don’t show up, it’s the same as not signing your consent form. You’ll be kicked off your courses and expelled all the same." Hushed whispers filled the hall as one student looked to another in hopes that what the Coach had said was supposed to be a joke.

"But-"

Face screwing up, the Coach wafted his hand towards the petite woman whom had been silent the entire time. "Stop asking me questions, that’s what Miss Im is for - bother her." Rolling his neck, ShinJae began walking towards the door. "Get your together and don't be late." Not waiting for confirmation from the group, the supposed Coordinator opened the side door on the other side of the room and ambled away.

Slowly but surely, the students stood up from their seats and made their way down to the platform. With an eye-smile and an airy tune, the small woman handed out the booklets one by one, crossing names off her list as she went. “Aigoo-yah, don’t look so glum~ It’s a good opportunity to make memories.” Once each of them had taken the forms they needed, the receptionist reached out to pet the pupil closest to her.

Swiftly dodging the skinship, JangMi backed away and shot the woman daggers. Like a few of her peers, the raven haired Music Major shuffled out of the way and took a seat. With contempt, she read over the papers which were basically exempting the university of any fault if she happened to, well, ‘get eaten by a wild animal’, as the Vice Dean had so vividly put it.


19:40

Unlike the initial meeting, everybody was present in the courtyard before the designated time. Darkness had fallen on the campus at least three hours ago and snow pelted down heavier than before. Loitering under the yellow glow of the handful of security lights on the side of main building meant for deliveries, the group of thirteen packed the bulk of their luggage into the storage compartment of the coach. Over the past fifteen minutes or so, the students had begun briefly introducing themselves as not to be stuck calling anyone "Yah" or "Oi" if they needed to get another's attention. All had gone well up until the youngest got his turn.

The tall Freshman hiding the majority of his platinum locks beneath a contrasting black beanie blinked twice is quick succession and then cleared his throat. "My name'th Oh Thehun."

InHyeon scrunched her face and elongated her neck, sure she'd misheard. "What?"

"Thehun." The youngest repeated, his blank expression straining into one of irritation.

The blonde female turned to the even taller man beside her and scowled in confusion. "What the Hell is he saying?" She wobbled her head madly, agitated by the fact she had no clue whatsoever what this guy was trying to say. “I swear I’m not that drunk yet.”

ChanYeol just shrugged, also at a loss. In an attempt to stifle the fierce laughter that was brewing, KiSe turned her back to the rest of the group as soon as the back-and-forth confusion had begun.  

OkCha pointed to the air in front of the boy next to her with her index finger. "I think he said his name is SeHun."

Peeking up from her phone, Ria shook her head lightly at the shamble. "How many people does it take for one person's introduction?"

Taking a drag from her cigarette, InHyeon rolled her eyes with a mumble. "Jesus Christ."

Stoic as always, the Freshman deadpan. "No, Thehun."

JunMyeon ran a hand over his face in utter dismay, and the redhead whom had been vibrating with suppressed snickering cracked. The psychology major spluttered, and then barked a caterwaul even she didn't expect to be so loud. Jumping in shock at the sudden noise beside her, EunAh’s eyes flittered as she held her hand over her chest.

JangMi rolled her eyes, irritated by having to wait around in the snow just as much as having to listen to the pointless small talk. "It's ing freezing." Rubbing the tops of her arms covered by an over-sized black hoodie, the brunette stared off into the darkness surrounding them.

Finishing up from presumably sending a text, Ria slipped her phone into her Gucci purse and glanced around for any sign of ShinJae. "That er told us not to be late and then makes us do exactly that..." Pulling her scarf up around her neck, the slim female scoffed. "I'm getting on the coach." Without waiting for any kind of reply, the shorter redhead walked through the circle of her peers and made for their transport a couple of paces away. Rapping her bejewelled gloved knuckles on the glass doors, she flapped her hand at the driver whom was in the midst of reading a newspaper over the steering wheel.

Shrugging her backpack up onto her shoulder, JangMi also walked away from the group. By the time she had made it to the vehicle, the driver had taken heed of Ria’s urging gestures and opened the doors.

Rummaging through her rucksack, InHyeon's hand retrieved an item wrapped in a brown paper bag. Unscrewing the lid peeking out of the top of the package, the tall female took a swig. Frowning at the initial overpowering taste, the sport science mayor sniffled her nose clear and held the beverage out. "Want some?"

Buried in a thick Parka with his hands in his pockets, ChanYeol stood behind InHyeon with his chin resting on top of her head, stealing the excessive body heat from the woman known as a human radiator. Trembling from the bitter chill of the bluster picking up speed, the music major whined. "Noona, let's get inside; it’s cold." The reverberation from his heavy voice buzzed on the back of her head as she passed off the booze to the redhead beside her.

Ignoring what his the music major was saying, JongDae and JongIn made small talk between themselves. Also clustered with the pair, YiXing frowned at the posture of the pair in front of him. Tilting his head a little to the side, the dancer opened his mouth into an ‘o’ shape. “They look like penguins.” YiXing’s own soft words brightened his expression.

Hearing the man beside her speak, EunAh glanced up from aimlessly playing a game on her phone. Blinded by the fact somebody could be amused by such a small thing made her smile too. His dimples didn't help the matter none.

"Just go and sit down if it's bothering you." InHyeon nodded upwards to purposely bump his chin which in turn made ChanYeol stomped his feet in confliction of whether to stay with his friends, or save himself from catching pneumonia. "Go on." She repeated and the tallest pouted. A split second barely passed and the man ran into the comfort of the vehicle, mumbling to himself.

Pausing from joining the others inside the coach, JunMyeon stared at the blonde female. "Don't you think you should get inside too?"

Fishing a small carton from her leather jacket pocket, InHyeon shooed her free hand at the Number One. "Don't try to baby me."

"Is anyone else coming?" JunMyeon looked back over his shoulder and at the others while he waited for any kind of response. Slowly but surely JongIn, JongDae, OkCha, and EunAh all nodded and followed their Senior into the coach that seemed all too appealing in the growing flurry.

Pulling down the furry flaps of his ushanka hat hanging over his ears, MinSeok shrugged his shoulders repeatedly to keep his blood circulating. "Let me have a sip, Hyeon-Ah." The eldest reached out for the wrapped up alcohol bottle like a child grasping at a lollipop.

Lighting the end of her cigarette, the eldest female drew her chin in and placed the hand which held the bottle beside her hip. Quirking her brow, she grinned. "You don't know how to ‘have just 'a sip'." Chuckling, she recalled every single time she'd gone out drinking with him. There was no such thing as 'one or two drinks' once they got started. That fact was proven when they had returned from a liquid lunch and ended up late to the auditorium only a couple of hours prior.

Lurching forward, MinSeok caught the bottle and waved it as he pointed at the blonde with his free hand. "It's you.” His eyes went wide as he hit back playfully. “You make people like this." Taking two quick gulps, his body fizzled as the heat from the strong booze whizzed into his system. Wiping his lips with the back of his gloved hand, he held out the bottle towards the youngest.

Stealing the cigarette from between her friend’s fingers, the redhead cocked her head with a smirk before taking a drag. KiSe saw an opportunity and took a mocking jab at the other woman. “It is you, just so you know.”

SeHun inspected the crinkled packaging, and then his Seniors' with a blank expression. "Sank y-" He cut himself off when his eyes met the blonde's and he remembered how she'd laughed at the first words he said in front of her that night. Taking the bottle with conviction, the bleach blond lad brought the drink to his lips and chugged. He chugged like he did this for breakfast.

Snorting at the boy taking on more than he could handle, KiSe hacked up a breath of smoke. "Holy ."

Prying the bottle from his junior's hands, MinSeok was awed by what had just happened. "You're going puke everywhere if you're not careful."

The youngest suddenly stopped moving. He felt the heat rush up his body like mercury in a thermometer and just as the actuality of the pungent stench and taste set in, he realised he would have to swallow it. He glanced down at the floor, and then quickly between his seniors showing varying degrees of horror and amusement.

“SeHun Ah, what did you do?” MinSeok held his hands out as he fret around the boy turning beet red.

Practically seeing the steam blow his hat off like in the cartoons, InHyeon tilted her head. “It’s not going to get better holding it in your mouth. You have to swallow it.”

Coaxed by the soft expression - something that he had been sure the woman was incapable of - he choked down the booze in his mouth and sniffled sharply. Trying with all his might to come off as unfazed by the obvious burning in the back of his throat, SeHun remained comically straight-faced. There was silence for a few seconds, and then a coughing fit that sounded more like somebody being repeatedly punched in the throat.

A burst of hysterics from his female seniors echoed past the rumbling bluster of their surroundings as the victim bent double and wretched.

"His face - His face!" A howl of demented laughter escaped KiSe at the state of the youngest or rather, more so because he had actually trusted his fellow blonde. Clinging onto InHyeon, the redhead handed back the cigarette before she fell down into a crouching position, laughing her off.

JunMyeon stood in the doorway of the coach with one hand on his hip. "Come inside, now." He interrupted those screwing around with the gesture of holding his phone up and shaking it. "I just got a message from Coach ShinJae saying he'll be here any minute."

Taking the bottle from her MinSeok’s hand, InHyeon peered back over her shoulder and to her brother. "You have each others numbers?" She asked in an attempt at being straight-faced but another chuckle from KiSe set her off laughing again. "Creepy~"

"Just hurry up." Huffing, JunMyeon stomped back inside and out of sight.

Pulling her chin in all the way to her neck, KiSe looked up from under her brows and wobbled her head from side. "I think you upset him." Looking away from her Senior's back as he returned to his seat, the redhead continued to pull the ridiculous face at the woman beside her.

InHyeon shoved her playfully before taking a final drag and flicking the end of her cigarette away. "He's always upset over one thing or another." Scooping up the strap of MinSeok’s backpack while he helped the youngest to not slip and die before the coach ignition was even lit, the blonde urged KiSe up the metal steps with a light kick to her rear. “Time to take a ride on the magic bus.”

“It’s time to take a trip on our little rocket ship~ flying through the sky~”

Rubbing his tongue off the roof of his mouth, the youngest hummed with a tilted head and the offset of bloodshot eyes. "I feel a bit weird."

Cackling, KiSe was the first to make her way up the metal steps wet with melted snow. "That's what happens when you try to down a bottle of Jack."

Filing onto the coach like they were taking part in a conga line that didn’t quite work, the female pair joked about their newly liberated junior. With KiSe in front, SeHun holding onto the tops of her shoulders to keep himself steady (for all the good that did with the woman flailing like an air dancer 'just because'); MinSeok pressed his palms against SeHun’s back in an attempt to push him up the final step. The blonde stood at the back and gripped the handrails to stop the lot of them from falling backwards into the snow, humming the same tune as the redhead and kicking her feet out behind her in a jig with a gruff "Hoi!" every time SeHun staggered back into MinSeok. Meanwhile, said junior planted his feet on the second to last step like a mule digging its hooves in. A very alcohol inefficient mule.

Giving a heave-ho, the last in line rammed the trio inside. Staggering to regain her footing, KiSe gripped the youngest by the scruff of his coat to prevent him from face-planting the metal hand rail beside the driver. Passing the boy off to MinSeok, the redhead looked to her left and took notice of the interior for the first time. The interior was leather seats with adequate legroom, and there was individual spotlighting above each space.

Upon seeing her fellow unfortunates solemn faces, KiSe paused the jokes and questioned those whom were already seated. "Why are you all so spaced out?"

"Our names." Ria, whom was four rows back, flicked the small slip of paper tagged to the top of JunMyeon’s headrest beside her.

"Wonderful. Where's mine?" InHyeon slid her bag off her shoulder and looked around.

JongDae, whom was sat on the the side closest to the door and on the third set of seats back, meekly raised his hand. "Window seat, right here."

"And mine?" KiSe questioned suspiciously only for a hand at the very back on the driver’s side to shoot up and wave at her. Not feeling offended at all that ChanYeol was her seatmate, the redhead skipped down the aisle towards the back.

"SeHun Ssi?" EunAh scooped her hand at the swaying boy who wasn't even attempting to look for his seat.

Noticing the female with her hair tied in a loose bun, MinSeok maneuvered the youngest down the aisle and to their left. Shuffling along unsteadily due to the extra weight, the eldest bowed his head to EunAh in apology as he tried to stuff the lanky lad who was all arms and legs into the window seat behind JunMyeon and Ria. Flopping into his seat, SeHun’s head wobbled in drunken politeness to his seat mate.

"His he okay?" EunAh whispered to the eldest trying to fasten his junior's seatbelt.

SeHun slurred, "It's the Jack."

Watching the boy’s head hit the window, MinSeok and EunAh exchanged glances. With her brows furrowed, the dancer opened to ask, but then thought better about it. She did however, discreetly shield her nose from the offensive stench of booze coming from her seatmate.

Finishing dealing with the problem InHyeon had made, MinSeok took his seat beside JangMi when a weight at the coach entrance caused the occupants to face forward. At the back, KiSe's line of sight travelled from the shared footwell and to the man beside her in absolute shock.

"What the is tha-" The redhead was cut off by ChanYeol's hand plastering over .

"Shhh~" He invaded her personal space with a whisper. The psychology student went back to looking at what had almost made her piss in her pants while her seatmate clung to her arm and face with wide eyes and a hushed tone that tickled her ear. "Please don't say anything." Not like she had much choice in the matter when he had that shovel of a hand taped over .

Coach ShinJae stood at the end of the aisle beside the driver. "Ah, you actually all made it? I was hoping to sign at least half of your dismissal forms." Placing his left hand on his hip whilst holding a clipboard in his right, the so-called Coordinator eyed the young men and women now completely under his charge. "And you actually paid attention to the seating plan - Good. "

Ria scoffed and crossed on leg over the other. "What a dickhead." Folding her left arm across her middle, she leaned her right elbow on the small window ledge and rested her chin atop her up-propped palm.

Snapping to attention, the Coach yapped. "What was that, Hwang?"

Poking out her lower lip and fluttering her false lashes facetiously, the business major sung. "I said, when are we setting off?"

"In just a moment. First," ShinJae looked at whatever he had on his clipboard and wet his lips. "the travel time is an estimated three hours; there will be one stop, and one stop only."

The gravelly voice of the second year sat at the very back broke above the shuffling and the engine starting up. "You only get one stop, ya'know."

Face twisting in dismay for the idiots he was tasked with, ShinJae threw his papers down on the spare seat at the front. "Shut up, Park, you ing moron."

 



Updated: 1st January 2019 - 19:41