Chapter 9 --- The Ball

GoodBye My Prince [ Hiatus]

Shin Hye can’t sleep that night. She kept thinking about what Yong Hwa said. ‘And I’m really hoping you feel the same way’. Those words kept on running in her mind. She really doesn’t know what to say. And she feel so stupid for giving him the mask and telling him that she’ll tell him everything. She kept on turning in her bed until finally she fell asleep.

*Dreaming*

      Shin Hye sees everything as white. She wore a white wedding dress, the most beautiful gown she had ever seen. There are flower petals everywhere and a red carpet laid out in the middle of what seems like a church. Shin Hye was given a bouquet by her mother.

      “Mother!” Shin Hye said, surprised.

      “Hello my dear.” Her mother said, while tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear.

      “You’re here but-“ Shin Hye said.

      “Yes. I know. I’m not supposed to be here but I really want to help you out.”

      “Help me out? In what way”

      “The guy you’ll see at the end of the isle is the one destined for you. But beware, there will be people trying to hold you back.” Her mother said and began to fade away.

      Shin Hye started walking down the isle. Curious of who’s at the end, she began working faster but her feet began walking on their own pace. She can’t see the face of the man at the end because it’s too far and she tripped.

*End of Dream*

      Shin Hye woke up, catching her breath. She lay down, thinking about what her mother had told her in her dreams. She was about to sleep again when Yoo Chun barged into her room.

      “Good Morning my very beautiful noona!” Yoo Chun greeted.

      “You’re awake!” Shin Hye said, laughing.

      “Yah! Of course! It’s your birthday today, so I have to wake up early to prepare for the ball later.” Yoo Chun said, pouting.

      “Haha. I’m just joking. Thank you Chunnie for doing everything for making this day happen” Shin Hye said,smiling.

      “You’re welcome noona. And besides, I have something to ask you.” Yoo Chun said.

      “What is it?” Shin Hye asked, while sitting up.

      “When I accompany Krystal and Yong Hwa out of the gate last night, I saw Yong Hwa holding a mask. And it really looks like the mask you made.” Yoo Chun said.

      “Ah. Yes. I gave him that mask. As I’ve already told you, I remember Charles in him and I thought that maybe, Charles gave me this sign so I gave him that mask. The mask that completely partners mine.” Shin Hye said.

      “Yeah. You told me that you both designed that when you were kids. You know noona? Now I realize you guys were a real genius.” Yoo Chun said, smiling.

      “Haha. I know right! Well then get out already. The birthday girl has to get ready for her event right?” Shin Hye said, pushing Yoo Chun out of the door.

      “Fine, fine. I’ll get ready too.” Yoo Chun said.

      Shin Hye spent the whole day preparing for the ball. Finally, evening came. She’s wearing her elegant black and white gown. Looking at the mirror, she wears her mask that mirrors the design of the mask she has given to Yong Hwa. She was about to out when she saw their picture of Charles. She went and stared at it.

      ‘Charles, it’s my birthday today. But I’m sure you already know that cause I know even if you’re already up there, you will never forget this day. Just as we planned, I threw a ball and it’s a masquerade theme. I also made the masks we designed. But I gave yours to Yong Hwa. Charles, is this a sign? I see you in him. He agrees to everything I want and he already confessed to me. That he’s liking me. Perhaps you want me to have a happy life by now. Charles, thank you for everything. For being my bestfriend. I’m letting you go now. And I think, I’m also falling in love with him. Not because I see you in him but because I see him for what he is,’

      Shin Hye put the picture to her drawer and went out. Upon entering the room, she already recognized many prince and princesses she invited to her birthday. Yoo Chun greeted her.

      “Noona! Why are you so early here? You should still be in your room!” Yoo Chun said.

      “Well, I’m excited for my birthday so I thought that maybe I could entertain my guests myself.” Shin hye said and walked to the middle of the room.

      Immediately after the guests spotted her, they immediately approached her and praised the ball she threw.

      “Princess, this is a very nice ball. I hope my mask is ok.”

      “Princess Shin Hye, this is a very fine party. And I really love your gown.”

      “Princess, I hope my dress is alright. Does it suit me?”

      “Your mask is really amazing Princess.”

      “Since when did you organize this party my princess?

      “Ladies. I really appreciate that you really liked the ball. And yes, you all look so beautiful in your gowns and masks. Enjoy the party.” Shin Hye said and returned in her room.

      She went into the balcony and felt the cool breeze of the night air. She closed her eyes and just relaxed. Happy that this day has finally come. Guilty that she had left her guests outside, she stepped into her room and was just about to close the door to the balcony when she heard a knock.

      “Who’s there?” Shin Hye asked.

      “Yong Hwa. May I come in?” Yong Hwa answered.

      “Yes please.” Shin hye said and opened the door.

      “Happy Birthday Shin Hye.” Yong Hwa said while handing her a bouquet of tulip flowers.

      “It’s beautiful. Thank you Yong Hwa.” Shin Hye said, smiling.

      “I’m glad you liked it. Why are you here at your room? You should be at the ball right?” Yong Hwa asked.

      “I went there earlier and they just asked me if they look nice or if their masks suits them or when did I organized this. They didn’t even greeted me.” Shin hye said, looking sad.

      “That’s alright. You should be happy tonight cause it’s your night.” Yong Hwa said then standing up. “Would you kindly allow me to accompany you to the ball my princess?” he asked.

      “Of course. Let’s go.” Shin Hye said and took Yong Hwa’s arms and they went together to the ball.

      Upon entering the ball room, the people made way for them to be able to go to the middle of the room. With Yong Hwa by her side,

      “Prince and princesses, thank you so much for attending this ball. I hope we had a great time.” Shin Hye announced and then a music starts to play.

      Leading Shin Hye to the dance floor, Yong Hwa took Shin Hye’s hand and they danced along with the guests. The music is somewhat romantic that all they can do is to stare in each other’s eyes while moving.

      “I came.” Yong Hwa said.

      “Yes you did.” Shin Hye said.

      “Your mask. It’s like a twin of mine. Why is that?” Yong Hwa asked.

      “These are masks designed by me and Charles.” Shin Hye answered.

      “Him again. You told me you would tell me everything tonight.” Yong Hwa said.

      Shin Hye nodded and then took Yong Hwa’s hands and lead him to the garden. They walked for a while, enjoying each other’s company and holding each other’s hand. They came to the greenhouse when Shin Hye finally spoke.

      “What do you want to know?” Shin Hye asked.

      “Everything about you.” Yong Hwa answered.

      “I can’t tell you everything yet Yong Hwa. You’re not officially courting me or my fiancée so I really can’t tell you anything.”

      “Alright. Just Charles. Who is he?”

      “Charles is the only bestfriend I ever had. He’s the son of my father’s right hand and the only person my father allowed to be friends with me. Not that they are afraid of other people but because I was really sensitive when I was a child and they thought that maybe other people will think badly of me when they saw how sensitive can I be. So because of that, Charles is always with me. He protected me from everything and agrees to all I want but stops me when he knows that what I want will harm me. He’s my tutor, bestfriend, father, brother, gardener, playmate, chef and designer. Charles is really fond of designing things, dress, house, name it and he can design it. That’s why when I was a child I have so many sewers cause everyday he has like 10 designs of clothes for me and I always order them to make the clothes. At first I thought he was gay but then no. He’s very straight and is really strong. But then, the enemy attacked their house, maybe hoping that they can weaken our kingdom and it caused Charles life to save me. We’re still kids back then but we didn’t know that we’ve fall for each other. For a year, I never left this castle, always locked up in my room crying. This went on until I realized that Charles will never want to see me like that so I started fulfilling the duties of a proper princess. Time goes on and I tried my best to be happy and not show them that I’m still hurting inside. Then Yoo Chun got engaged. I saw how happy he was back then when our father told us. I saw how his smile can brighten even the darkest nights cause his fiancée is a girl he love. I met Krystal and I understood why Yoo Chun is that in love with her. I thought that maybe father engaged Yoo Chun first is because he thought I wasn’t ready yet. Which is true of course. Until now.” Shin Hye explained and looked at Yong Hwa.

      “He’s really important to you.” Yong Hwa said, looking sad.

      “Why do you look so sad?”

      “Cause I think I can never replace him in your heart.”

      “Pabo! Who knows. I think this is a sign he gave me. Maybe it’s time for me to be truly happy.”

      “You think so?”

      “Yes. But the person I think that can make me happy is still not asking me if he could court me or ask my hand in marriage.” Shin Hye said, looking at Yong Hwa.

      “Can I court you?” Yong Hwa asked, hoping that Shin Hye will say yes.

      “You have to take the test. I give it to all my suitors.” Shin Hye said.

      “Alright. I’ll take it for you. But now, can I dance you?” Yong Hwa said.

      They danced all night to the music, whether it’s a romantic song or a party song. They stayed in each other’s company, hoping that Yong Hwa will pass the test tomorrow. They remained at the balcony sitting together until it was time to go home.

      “Good night Shin Hye. See you tomorrow.” Yong Hwa said.

      “Good night Yong Hwa. Prepare for your test tomorrow.”

      “Don’t worry. I’m sure I’ll pass. I’m very wise you know?”

      “Wise? Really? Then why did you fall in love with me?”

      “Cause it’s the wisest decision my heart made. And I’m really hoping I’ll pass your test.”

      “I’m really hoping for that too.”

      “Good Bye.”

      “Good Bye.” Shin Hye bid good bye and closed the door to her room. Laying down to her bed, she couldn’t help but think if Yong Hwa could really pass her test. She told Hye Rin to prepare the dolls for tomorrow and went to sleep.