B u l l e t # 18.

She's A Gun.

                                                'Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.' - Edward Abbey


“Oh, you’re alone?” I ask as Jessica approaches me by herself.
“Sorry, Kris couldn’t make it. Some fellow employee had an emergency, so Kris is working in his place for now.” Jessica smiles sheepesly.
“Oh well. Guess this is a sign that me and him shouldn’t meet.”
“Oh no, no. I have tried to get you two meet each other so many times and something always ruins it or rather you postpone it.” Jessica gives me a pointed look. “So me and Kris came up with a different idea. You, me and Kris. Dinner. Tonight. At our place. What do you say?”
“Sounds like a date with a third wheel to me.”
“How is having dinner at our apartment making you a third wheel?”
“Well, there’s you two and then there is me.” I answer and Jessica rolls her eyes.
“If you don’t want meet him, just tell me. Even though I really want you two to meet, I’m not going to force you to.”
“Look, I just don’t want you to get hurt.”
“Why would I get hurt? I’m sure that you two will get along just fine.” Jessica smiles at me in an assuring manner and I sigh in dread of what is coming.
“Fine, I’ll meet him.”




“Oh, he’s here!” Jessica excitedly jumps on her feet and runs of to greet Kris as I sigh and get up from the couch.
“Kris, I want you to meet the most important person in my life.” she says as she enters the room with Kris by her side.
“She’s the most amazing person ever and I’m so glad to have her.” Jessica says as she stands beside me and places her hands on my shoulders. “Kris, meet Krystal.”
Kris glances between me and Jessica with a look of confusion.
“Love-“
“Why aren’t you greeting her?” she asks. “ Kris, don’t be rude, this is my best friend.”
“But..” Kris says as he looks around the room “there is no one here?”
“Don’t be an Kris. Krystal is right here.” She glares at him and gestures at the place where I am standing.
My gaze doesn’t leave Kris’ face as I watch different emotions cover it.

Confusion.

Shock
.

And finally -

Sympathy.

“Kris?” Jessica asks in concern as she notices the change in Kris. 
“He can't see me, Jessica." she moves her gaze from Kris to me.
"Of course he can."
"No, he can't. Because I'm not real. I never was and never will be.”
“What?”  
“I’m not real. That’s why Kris can’t see me. Or anyone else for that matter. The only one who can see me is you.” I answer as I put emphasis on ‘you’.
“This is not funny.”
“Maybe that’s why no one is laughing.”
“Kris, is this true?” Jessica turns to look at Kris.
“What?” he asks caught of guard.
“Is what she saying true?”
“Jessica, darling, I…” he approaches her and wraps arms around her. “Your friend.. I can’t see her. I can’t hear her.” He takes a deep breath.” I… I’m sorry I didn’t notice anything strange before.” Kris says as he buries his face into her hair and tightens his arms around her.
“Are you saying that I’m crazy?” Jessica exclaims as she pulls away from his embrace and looks at Kris in bewilderment.
“More like delusional.” I comment as I start walking towards the door. I feel Jessica’s gaze following my figure as I continue talking “You were just trying so hard to be strong on your own that you didn’t even notice how you were craving for some contact with someone from a different world. And that’s how I was created.” I stop in front of the open door and turn around. Kris glances between Jessica and the place where he believes I am standing.
“I’m kind of your conscience, naivety and innocence. The part of you that you locked away in order to become someone that you want to be. Being a strong independent woman has its’ price. And I guess this was your payment.” I utter a chuckle and walk out the door.
“You always thought of yourself as a killer on the run." the voice continues in Jessica's head " Too bad you didn’t expect to be shot down by another gun.”

The silence in their apartment has never been so loud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick author's note.
Thank you for everyone who supported and read this story. 
There will be no seqeul, BUT there will be a kind of a continuation of this story as a side story in "Soulmate #1". There you will find out how Jessica created Krystal and there will be also be little krissica moments. The style is similiar to this one, so if you're check it out.
If you have any questions, comments or remarks, please do leave them in the comments.
Until next time, loved ones! Take care.