First encounter

Who you truly are


"Come on mom!! We are going to miss the plane."

"I’m coming! I’m coming."

I was a normal high school girl and it is the summer of my last school year. On August I would officially become a senior but for now it's May and I’m on summer break. Finally, I’m going to get away from this same old place I live in and I’m going to stay in San Francisco for 2 months, I live in Phoenix Arizona. It’s not small but compared to San Francisco, it’s pretty small and during the summer it is hell. 

"Ready?" My mom asked me.

"Yea. Ready," I smiled at her.

Ten minutes later we arrived in a taxi at the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

"We're late." My mom started to speed walk to get the tickets and she is leaving me behind.

"I’ll get the tickets," she said.

I was following her direction with 2 big suit cases and a big bag over my shoulder and I started to speed walk as well, trying to get my way through the crowd, dodging everyone until I failed and bumped into someone. The impact made me fall to the ground, my hitting first. I groaned in pain while placing a hand on the side of my face, I also bit my tongue while in the process. 

"Miss are you ok?" A voice said catching my attention right away.  I looked up to see a young man, he seemed no older than I was.

"I’m so sorry," I apologized.

"No need it was my fault too, for being late to the airport." His voice lingered in my ears, it refused to leave. 

He extended his arm out with his palm open and I immediately placed my hand on his arm. He then lifted me up and helped me pick my bags up.

"Well, I have to go now, sorry again." I told him before he could respond. I was late already and I am sure he would only distract me. Oh, how handsome he was. 

"It was nice of them to let us on, don’t you think?" My mom said.

I was too busy looking for my seat that I didn’t pay attention to her question.

"Ah, there it is." I found our seats and I was so relieved because my felt sore from the fall earlier.

"I’ll take the window seat!" Mom said.

"No way! I called it first" I hurried and sat on the window seat before she could even protest.

It’s been an hour in this plane and I’m so bored, I think I’ll draw. I got my sketch book out and I sat with my back to the window and lifted my legs so I could place my book on my lap. 

"I’ll be back. I have to use the restroom," she said.

I was clearly out of ideas to draw, the inside of this plane is so plain and boring. What could possibly interest me here, nothing? I looked up and I saw this young man looking at his book.  He sat on the other row and only the walk way separated us. The side of his face was very pretty and interesting, I felt captivated. His features along with his hair made me want to draw him because he looked so innocent the way he was positioned. Almost as if he was that type of person that cared more about others than himself, close to an angel. I started to sketch and kept going from my book to his face and vice versa. I didn’t realize until now but this guy is handsome, very handsome. From what I had on view, which is his profile, I could tell he is handsome and I wanted to see his full face. He has short black hair, his skin fair but pale, he is handsome that I just can't stop staring. I was merely done with the sketch when he looked up and turned around to face me. Oh my god, he felt me seeing him, how embarrassing. He looked straight into my eyes and I got startled, my heart beat increased. He smiled at me and that nearly killed me, my breath shorten. I smiled back and he turned back to his book.

"Are you alright? You look pale," my mom came back.

"Oh, umm it's nothing," I told her while I turned to face the window.

-

"Honey wake up."

"What? Five more minutes."

"But we're here. Everyone’s gone now."

I woke up and the first thing I look at is the seat where the guy I drew was, it's empty. I was hoping to get a glimpse of him before I left. Dammm it Jasmine why did you fall asleep. Oh well, at least I have his sketch I drew. As I got off the plane I headed to get my suitcases, suitcase after suitcase and mine weren't anywhere to be seen. Oh, there it is. I grabbed it but I struggled a bit, it is quite heavy that I couldn’t lift it. I struggled to get it but I couldn’t. From then saw a pair of hands embrace the handle of the suitcase, I turned to see who it was. That face I knew it, I recognized it. He was the guy from the plane. 

"There you go," he said and that same voice, that same feeling, it lingered. Before I could even say thank you he took off leaving me with the words in my mouth

"Come on, hurry. I want to get to the hotel and rest a bit," mom yelled.

"Coming. Damn you don’t need to yell."

We are on the taxi and I am quite amazed at how beautiful everything is. Not far from the airport is our hotel, tall, really tall and elegant. The Fairmont San Francisco Hotel is its name.  As soon as I got in the room I jumped straight to bed, it is bouncy, soft and comfortable that I fell asleep right away.

Oh my bags, they fell again. Man I'm so clumsy. Wait, whose hand is this?

"Hey there beautiful. Need help?"

Wow, he’s so handsome. Look at his shiny styled black hair. Those eyes draw me in.

"Oh no, it’s ok."

Wow, he is so handsome. Wait what’s going on?! Why is he getting close to my face? Oh! H-his breath I can feel it on my lips! He’s getting closer...

"Jasmine wake up."

I woke up confused examining my surroundings. Oh, it was just a dream. What a shame that I didn’t stick around to see the end.

"I’ll go shower before we go out to eat," mom said.

I took my sketch book out to see my drawings. I flipped the pages, drawing after drawing, there were about 20 or so drawings. I reached to the end and paused at the sketch of the guy on the plane, I stared at it for a while. Wait a minute; I remember now, this guy isn’t just the guy from the plane, I also bumped into him when I arrived at the Phoenix airport. Oh! He was also the one in my dream!