Mistaken

Unexpected You! [Hiatus]

The bus pulled up at the driveway in front of a five-star rated hotel uptown. Jiyeon looked up and was impressed by the exquisite yet simple exteriors design. Why hadn’t she thought of booking this hotel? Jiyeon sighed regrettably as she recalled what happened the day before.

***

She was filling up the declaration forms when four tall and burly looking Asians in black suits strode in the lobby and spoke to the other receptionist.

“We have booked the auditorium for tonight’s event.” The slightly tubby bespectacled man spoke in a thick accent. “We’ve come early to set up the place.”

The receptionist nodded. “Is the place booked for 13th Three Harmonious Brotherhood Annual Conference?”

“Yep, that’s the one.” He grinned at the receptionist. 

Jiyeon cast them a fleeting look. The men all had tattoos on their arm. One of them wore thick gold chains that reminded her of the triad members she always sees from manga. The male speaker nodded at her politely. She swallowed her saliva and returned him a greeting.

Halfway, a cell phone rang. The man with a thick gold chain hanging around his throat picked up the call and spoke coarsely in mandarin. Having studied Chinese language for a semester before, Jiyeon could understand simple phrases.

“Hi Boss, we’re at the hotel now. What?” Jiyeon grimaced as the man listened intently. “Kill and dispose the body?” He raised his brows. “Yes boss. I’ll see to that.” 

“Is it big boss?” The other man asked.

Horror struck her as she digested every single word the man just said. Jiyeon fumbled and dropped her passport to the floor. The man glanced at Jiyeon warily. His colleague accidentally flipped her passport to the first page when he picked it up from the floor.

“Miss, you are Korean?”

Jiyeon jumped and thoughtlessly pointed at herself. “Yes, I’m Korean…” She said, nodding tersely.

“What a cute girl.” He said in mandarin. His companions snickered while Jiyeon quickly turned away, wishing that the hotel staff could quickly finish with her check-in.

“Tonight’s event is going to be important with all the big figures. Heard that our boss’ arch enemy will be here later, you think here might be a bloodbath?” The oldest looking man among them smirked.

“Don’t worry. We will have the men and toys ready if there is a need.” Another man sniggered.

They chortled heartily. Jiyeon’s heart lurched. Men..? Toys..? Wipe them out? Her mind was in a whirl. 

“Miss Park, your check-in is done. Here is your room card.” Jiyeon was lost in her thoughts. “Miss Park, are you okay?” The hotel staff asked.

Jiyeon gawked at him and coughed awkwardly. “I’m not fine. I think… I would like to check out.” She stammered, one hand tightly grasping onto the handle of her luggage.

***

The first thing Jiyeon did when she woke up at five-thirty this morning was the television and listened to the news. But there was none on gang fight or massacre in Sydney.

“Did I overreact?” she muttered.   

A text came.

‘Yah, Park Jiyeon! Where did you go early morning?’ -Byunghun

Jiyeon smirked as she imagined her best friend stomping his feet and sulking after reading to the little note she left in his living room.

‘On my way to Blue Mountains~’ -Jiyeon

‘What! How did you?’ -Byunghun

‘I booked a day tour from the Internet! I got to go, see you tonight!’ –Jiyeon

The girl closed the app and gave a smug look. Within seconds, she received incoming call. That persistent guy... Jiyeon frowned at the caller name. She had no intention of answering his call. She waited until the screen went blank again. 

“Sorry Byunghun.” Jiyeon muttered, as she tossed the phone into her backpack.

One female passenger suddenly asked. “Steve, how much longer do we have to wait?” Her tone sound slightly impatient.

Steve glanced at the list he was holding and checked his watch. The guests should be at the hotel lobby 10 minutes ago.  

“Sorry guys, let’s wait another five minutes.” He said apologetically to his passengers. “Our friends might be held up somewhere.”

Jiyeon nodded silently as she looked out the window, observing the random people walking down the streets.

The bus shook a little as a flustered young Asian man boarded the bus. He hurriedly plopped into an empty seat across Jiyeon’s. From his dressing and accent, Jiyeon could already tell that he is also Korean. Never mind that the boy did not apologize to everyone for his tardiness, he still raised his voice at Steve when he insisted the man drive away. She got slightly offended by his poor manners. 

“I believe all of us come from different place. How about each of you introduces yourself? Let’s start with the pretty young lady in front.” Steve said, pointing at Jiyeon in his rear-view mirror. “Uh, Ms. Park?”

Jiyeon jolted upon getting called. She stared unexpectedly at Steve. “Let us know your name, where you are from and why you came to Sydney.” He smiled.

“Oh.” She gave a sheepish nod. “My name is Park Jiyeon. I’m Korean. I’m here on holiday.”

“Speaking of which, we have someone else who shares the same surname as you. Mr. Park, are you two related?” Steve chuckled.

“No, no! We are not.” Jiyeon answered, looking in his direction. The boy had already pulled off his hood and looking in a daze. Why does he look so vaguely familiar? Jiyeon noted.

“Mr. Park Jihoon?” Steve called his name slightly louder. Myungsoo finally snapped out of his shock and sat up with a strange look.

“I’m not Mr. Park.” Myungsoo blurted.

Steve gawked, slowing down the vehicle. “If you aren’t him, then who are you?”

“I’m Myungsoo.” He mumbled.

“But there is no such person on my list…” Steve said, staring at the list and puckering his brow. Myungsoo bit his lower lip.

“Don’t tell me that you boarded the wrong bus?” Steve said, slightly alarmed. The other visitors gasped. The boy sank deeper in his seat and buried his face in embarrassment.

Myungsoo checked his watch nervously. The members are probably at Opera House, waiting for him now. “Eh Steve, can you send me back to Sydney city? I’ll pay you.” He said.

“Are you kidding me?” A female visitor huffed.

Steve tilted his head slightly. “I wish I could, son. But we’re at the expressway now. We can’t stop and head back.

Myungsoo swallowed hard. There is no way he can jump off this bus and find his own way back to the city. Suddenly an idea came to him. Jungryoul hyung! He dug his pockets for his phone but they turned out empty. “Damn...”

Jiyeon glowered. Why does the name sound so familiar? She stared at his features a few times and slowly breathed out.

“Oh I know you!” She suddenly spoke in Korean, pointing at Myungsoo.

Myungsoo sputtered as he turned his head and found that Jiyeon was glaring fiercely at him. He sputtered as his eyes flickered in recognition. She’s the crazy fan’s sister!

Back at the hotel, Manager Jungryoul had launched a task to bring back the members. Immediately after learning about the boys was going Opera House, he had sent some staff to track them down. Sunggyu’s suite was converted into a temporary HQ.

“Have you found them?” Manager Jungryoul spoke, tightly gripping his mobile phone and pacing up and down.

“Yes, we found them but Myungsoo is not here.” The staff reported.

Manager Jungryoul grimaced and exclaimed. “What? Where is the boy?”

“We don’t think he board the bus to Opera House.” The staff stated his suspicion. Three buses had passed by and we don’t see him at all.”

“Find Myungsoo...” He ordered. “Before any harm comes to him.”

“But hyung... Sydney is so huge.” The staff stammered, studying his whereabouts.

“I don’t care what you do. But you’ve to get everyone back before noon!” The manager said curtly and hung up. He turned and glared at the two boys, who were leaning against the wall as he made the call. “Tell me, where did Myungsoo go?” He hissed.

“They couldn’t find him..?” Sunggyu muttered, shifting his feet guiltily. “That’s strange. He should meet them by now.” He said.

“Obviously that boy went somewhere else.” He retorted sarcastically. “Did he mention to you where he is going?” The older boy shook his head.

“Hyung, he’s not picking up.” Sungjong reported to the manager as the call reached a voice recorded message.

Sunggyu suddenly jumped and clapped his mouth. “Oh no!”
Everyone glanced at him curiously, the boy returned a hesitant look.  

“Myungsoo doesn’t have overseas roaming…” He faltered.

“Oh dear.” Sungjong groaned.

Manager Jungryoul’s face turned livid. “Great, just great...” he said, folding his arms and looking cross. 


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Finally an update. Sorry if you find this chapter boring... I've to do some groundwork before I dive deeper into the plot. I promise the next chapter is solely on Myungyeon. On a side note, weekends are here at last! Hooray! XD

SUBSCRIBE and COMMENT please!