Battling Obstinacy

Unexpected You! [Hiatus]

“Are you sure you want to stay here?” Byunghun asked belatedly. Jiyeon glanced up at him. “Yes. What’s wrong?”

Byunghun gawked at his friend as if she had gone crazy. “Even when I told you that this hotel is located right in the centre of a red-light district?” He raised his voice slightly.

“So? I can take care of myself.” She said positively.

That was an understatement. Byunghun cringed as images of her getting solicited at night crept through his mind. “Come stay with me. You can sleep in my room.” He offered.

“No.” Jiyeon said sharply and walked away.

“Why don’t you?” She did not reply.

Byunghun followed Jiyeon as she went to the back of the car to collect her luggage. “Don’t be stubborn, stay with me.” He said. Jiyeon looked at his hand place on her luggage in dismay.

“I’ve paid for the hotel, my dear.” Jiyeon gently pushed him away and singlehandedly pulled her pink suitcase out of the boot.

“Jiyeon yah... Your father will be in a fit if he knows where you are staying.” Byunghun said.

“Don’t you go and tell him, Granny Lee.” Jiyeon turned around with a menacing look. “Or else…” she raised her fist.

Byunghun glowered. “Don’t call me granny!”

“That’s because you are nagging!” Indignant, Byunghun gave her a light push. Jiyeon stuck out her tongue at him. “I’m going!” She announced, walking away.

“Give me a call when you are done with the check in.” Byunghun called after her.

“Yea yea, Granny. Thanks for the ride.” She waved and strutted towards the building. Byunghun leaned against his car and waited.

Moments later, Byunghun was about to leave when he saw the girl dash out of the doors with her suitcase. Jiyeon stopped at the lamppost to catch her breath. Bewildered, he scampered to her side.

Jiyeon shuddered when Byunghun touched her. “You scared me!” She exclaimed. “Why are you still here?”

“I was waiting for your call.” He said grimly. “What are you doing here?”

Jiyeon swept the dust off her hand as she stood up. “Hmm, can I stay with you?” She whimpered, tugging Byunghun’s sleeve.

“What’s going to happen to the room you paid?” Byunghun asked.

“I don’t care about it.” She answered.

Byunghun stared at her in disbelief. Something must have happened in the hotel after she checked in.

“Fickle-minded…” He muttered.

Jiyeon heard his comment. “Yes I am.” She stuck out her tongue childishly at him. “So, do you want to take me in or not?”

Byunghun smiled, shaking his head. “Come on, take your luggage…” He said, jingling his car keys. Smiling, Jiyeon wrung her arm around his and walked to his vehicle.

Forty-five minutes later, Byunghun pulled his car into the driveway. “Wake up, sleepyhead.” He announced, giving her a prod.

“Okay…” Jiyeon woke up from her nap and looked around. The driver seat was empty. She heard a thud from the back as Byunghun shut the boot. Feeling drowsy, she opened the door and got out of the car. Byunghun was already standing at the porch with all her luggage and looking at his friend impatiently.

“Hurry please.” He shouted.

Jiyeon stopped yawning. Her eyes were wide with amazement. Byunghun’s place was a two-storey high terrace house and the four walls were made out of glass. In front, the garden was well maintained and blooming with flowers. Jiyeon walked slowly, admiring the flowers at both sides. Her lips curved into a smile. They were her favourite daisies.

“Since when did you have green fingers?” Jiyeon asked as she reached the door. 

Byunghun rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t, it’s my housemate.” He answered while holding the door for Jiyeon. The smile disappeared from her face.

“Come in. My hands are getting tired.”  He beckoned.

“You’re back? Did you pick her-” A masculine voice came from the stairs.

Jiyeon tilted her head and shrieked, covering her eyes. “Oh my god!” She spun her body around and collided with Byunghun, who was locking the door.

“What’s wrong?” Byunghun tore his sight from her and frowned.

A golden haired boy was staring down at them from the second floor with a confused look. He shrugged at his friend. He wore nothing but a towel covering his lower body.

“Yah Chunji! Wear some clothes, will you!” Byunghun yelled.

“I was going to shower when I heard you come back.” Chunji retorted and stomped off.

Byunghun looked at the frightened Jiyeon in dismay. “It’s okay now… Jiyeon... “ He said softly. She slowly put down her hands and blinked.

“Sorry that I overreacted.” She apologized.

“It’s okay.” He said reassuringly, patting her head.

----- 

“This is the girl?” Chunji whispered. Byunghun looked back at his friend warily. He had changed into a black top and three quarter pants after his shower. Chunji caught his hint.

“I’m wearing clothes now, okay?” He said ruefully. 

Byunghun snorted. “Yeah, that’s her.” He nodded as he prepared breakfast for Jiyeon, who complained that she was hungry. The bacon sizzled in the frying pan, emitting a fragrance.

Chunji inhaled the smell deeply. “I’m starving. Please prepare one set for me too.” He said, pinching his housemate’s cheek.

Byunghun scowled. “Get lost and go apologize to Jiyeon.”

Grinning, Chunji took an apple from the refrigerator and polished it with his shirt. He then sat at the dining table, directly across Jiyeon. She was using her handphone, paying little attention to Chunji even when he was chomping his apple loudly on purpose.

Chunji waved fervently to catch her attention. “Hello. I’m L.Joe’s friend and housemate, you may call me Chunji.”

Jiyeon looked up from her phone, bemused.

“L.joe is Byunghun.” Chunji said.

“Oh, hello.” Jiyeon greeted back politely. She still felt awkward for what happened earlier.

“I’m sorry about just now. I didn’t know L.Joe is going to bring a girl home and I was heading for shower.” He looked apologetically at her.

Jiyeon puckered her lips. “It’s okay. I’m sorry for overreacting earlier.

“No worries.” Chunji replied, grinning. “I’m sorry for scaring you.”

“I did message you to inform you that I’m bringing Jiyeon home to stay for a week.” Byunghun interrupted as he entered the dining room with two plates of breakfast. “Eat.” He said, as he laid the plate for Jiyeon. She clapped her hands in delight at the delicious looking bacons and eggs. Byunghun had even toasted two pieces of bread for her. Chunji straightened his back and eyed Jiyeon’s food hungrily. 

“You didn’t see the message, did you?” Byunghun said accusingly, as he placed down the second plate carefully away from Chunji.   

“I just woke up, friend!” Chunji answered sheepishly. “Where is mine? I’m starving.”

“Have you apologized to Jiyeon?” Byunghun glanced at his friend.

Chunji nodded vigorously. “I did!” He shot Jiyeon a frantic look.

“Yes he did.” She replied, picking up her fork to eat the scrambled eggs. Byunghun disappeared into the kitchen.

“So, where have you thought of going?” Byunghun asked, as he sat down to eat. “Shall I show you the Opera house? Or do you want to visit animals?” Jiyeon tilted her head to look at him.

“I’ve planned my itinerary so I will just go around by myself.” She said.

Chunji looked surprised. “Alone? Won’t you feel lonely?” He stated.

“Not to mention, it’s dangerous for a girl to travel by herself.” Byunghun added, forking his bacon.

Jiyeon shot a look at him. “Granny...” she mouthed in annoyance. Byunghun ignored her.

“Why don’t we accompany you?” Chunji suggested brightly.

“Don’t you have classes? I don’t want you to miss any lesson because of me.”

“We can take turns, right?” Chunji replied, glancing at his friend. “We don’t have the same timetable anyway.”

“Come on, I can bring you to clubbing, surfing,

“But...” Jiyeon started to protest.

“That sounds like a great-” Byunghun suddenly winced and doubled in pain. “Idea...” He threw the girl a dirty look. Jiyeon had just kicked him under the table. He rubbed his leg sorely.

The whole idea of this trip is me travelling alone. She thought wistfully.

Byunghun watched Jiyeon uneasily; the girl does not talk when she is fuming. “Why don’t we let the girl decide?” He said quietly to Chunji.

Chunji gave an impatient wave. “End of discussion. You’re L.Joe’s friend, in other words, you are also my friend. I’ll promise you have a great time during your stay here!” He added in an excited tone. “I already have a list of activities for you.”  

Jiyeon leaned against her chair and sighed. “What else can I say?”

 



AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hmm.. What actually happened to Jiyeon in the hotel, are you all curious? 

Myungsoo is going to appear soon! I promise! :D

Next chapter?