Daddy's Girl

Unexpected You! [Hiatus]

Standing in front of the departure gate of Seoul Incheon Airport was a pair of father and daughter. The twenty-year-old girl was dressed in comfortable attire and sneakers with a beanie, looking all ready for her first solo trip. The older man, on the other hand, looked unhappy and worried.

“Appa!” Jiyeon exclaimed as she caught her father dabbing his tissue around his eyes. “I’m only gone for two weeks!”

Mr. Park sniffed as he stuffed the tissue into his pocket. “That means I won’t see you for 14 days.”

“12 days to be exact.” Jiyeon corrected him automatically.

“No, it’s 280 hours…” He muttered.

Jiyeon face palmed. Why don’t you count to the nearest minute until her return flight’s timing too? She thought. “Don’t worry appa. These 280 hours will pass very quickly.” She said brightly.

“How can I not worry? You’re travelling without me.” Mr. Park chided.

Jiyeon looked at her overprotective father. Ruefully, she glanced at her watch. Just a couple more minutes, and I will be freed. She thought delightfully.

“How about I take a couple days of leave from the company to accompany? I haven’t taken any leave this year. Oh, I can even buy an air ticket and check in with you now.” Mr. Park suggested brightly, reaching for his pockets.

Jiyeon recoiled in horror. Somehow she already knew what he is going to produce.

“Put your passport away.” She growled menacingly. Mr. Park pulled a sour face at his daughter. “Why…”

“Don’t you have an important meeting tomorrow?”

He frowned. “Oh, the board meeting… They can go ahead without me.”

Jiyeon gawked. “You’re the CEO!”

The man arched his eyebrow. “So? You are my precious daughter.”  He replied grimly. Jiyeon shook her head in disbelief.

“That’s it. I’m going to buy an air ticket and follow you over.” His eyes gleamed in resolution as he made his way to the airline counter.

“If you dare do that, appa, I’m severing our ties.” Jiyeon called after him. Mr. Park stopped and turned back with a disgruntled look. “Fine! I’m not going.” he retorted.

Jiyeon broke into a gleeful smile and hooked her arms around her father’s. “I know you are worried. But I’ll be fine by myself.” She said confidently.

“Attention all passengers taking Korean Air flying to Sydney Australia, kindly proceed to Gate 13 for boarding. The gate will be closing in 20 minutes.”

“It’s time for me to go.” Jiyeon announced. As they walked to the departure hall, her father continued. “Did you ask Byunghun to pick you up?” Jiyeon nodded. Mr. Park eyed her suspiciously.

“Yes I did.” She said defensively.

“I’m going to call Byunghun later and make sure that he escorts everywhere you go too.” He remarked.

Jiyeon gave a disapproving look. “Why do you want to bother someone who’s diligently studying?”

“I need someone whom I can trust be by your side since I am not allowed to go.” Mr. Park said sorely. “Unless…”

Without warning, Jiyeon dived and wrapped her arms around her father's waist. Her interjection took him by surprise. “I’ll miss you, appa.” She said in a small voice. Defeated, he pulled his daughter for a tighter hug.

“I’ll miss you more.”

Jiyeon giggled as she broke free of his hug. “I really need to go now.”

“Alright… Make sure you call back every night, Princess.”

“Yes sir.” Jiyeon said with gusto. She even lifted her right hand to salute. Mr. Park softened. She picked up her belongings from the trolley and walked towards the departure gate.

The officer returned her passport and boarding pass. Jiyeon stopped and looked back. Her father forced a small smile and waved back. She gave a final wave at him before disappearing through the glass doors.

Jiyeon tiptoed to push her luggage into the compartment but it kept falling out. “Do you need help, Miss?” She turned her head to see a young Caucasian couple waiting behind. The young man looked at her kindly. She nodded.

“Thank you.” Jiyeon said as he placed her luggage inside the compartment easily. “No problem.” He replied.

Jiyeon then moved in to her window seat. The young couple settled down beside as she buckled her seat belt. Her mobile phone beeped. Jiyeon read the message.  

‘I just called Byunghun. He’ll be waiting for you at the airport. Take care and have fun! – XOXO, appa’

Jiyeon chuckled at the last line, amused by the fact that her father knows the meaning of XOXO. She sent back a cheeky reply and quickly switched off her phone.

“Is this your first time flying?” the Caucasian lady beside asked.

“No.” Jiyeon replied. She had flown to many places before. But this is the first time she is travelling without her protective father. She smiled excitedly at the thought.

 



AUTHOR'S NOTE

So, what do you think? X3

A brief intro of Jiyeon's appa.. Park Eunjae, a successful entrepreneur in Korea. To everyone, he is serious and authorative. At home, he is the doting father. He only listens to Jiyeon and is willing to do anything for his daughter.