dinner party.

[Puzzle p i e c e s. ] (Completed!)
"Cera!" my father's voice boomed from downstairs. He was probably in his workshop again. I was in the living room watching 'The City' on MTV. The show, I thought, was completely retarded but there wasn't anything good on tonight. Jessica was back in her 'staff' room. Probably lounging around, watching the same thing. "Yeah, dad?" I sprinted down the last couple steps and pounced into his workshop. His place was a mess. I couldn't remember the last time I was in here but there was a drastic difference. The once organized desk was now littered with scrap paper, scrunched up paperwork, few cans of Red Bull and assorted stationary spread out on the table. "Uhh..." I started. "Don't ask." Her father put up his hand. "Okay then..." I rocked on my heels. "Whatcha need me here for?" I started wandering around the workshop, gazing at the neat trophy case and comparing it with the dirty workplace. "Grandpa called and invited us over for a business dinner party tomorrow." I immediately groaned. Those dinner parties were always so boring. All they talked about was... well, business. They exchanged business cards, and babbled on and on about how well their company was going or asked other companies for financial support. Why did I even remember this stuff anyways? The least I did there was smile and try to be friendly to the overly-annoying executives or staff members. Most of the people there were from our company. Grandpa knew a lot of associates. "Why do I have to come?!" I wailed. I desperately wanted to find a way out of going to this party. It wasn't that I hated my grandparents, they are exceptionally kind and supporting but maybe they should stop these business parties altogether, or the least, not invite me...? "You have to come. You're an important member of the company," my dad stated. "What?! For being the company owner's daughter? For being the founder's grand-daughter? Dad, they know me well enough!" I was exasperated. Why oh why did I have to come??
After being scolded, I was banished upstairs to my room. I grabbed my bag of low-fat popcorn from the coffee table in the living room and rushed upstairs. I wasn't going to break down. I would be a wimp if I did, but I instead continued my sketches. Gradually, the plain pieces of paper were covered with a sketch of a lovely bedroom, following a specific theme. After three hours, I was done two full sketches, complete with detail. Too bad they didn't have some contest for this. I would definitely enter. My mind trailed back to what my father said about me being an important member of the group. What did that really mean? I banished that thought from my mind and put away my sketchbook, turning on my T.V.
~~
The next night, I prepared for the dinner party. My dad purchased a new dress for me. It was a deep blue ruffled chiffon dress, that was pretty casual, but probably not as casual as this boring dinner party. Business, shm-usiness. Then my mind drifted back to Andrew. I wondered when I should call him. Most girls would call right away and I didn't want to sound too eager. Maybe after this damn party. I know for sure that I wouldn't be the one partying.
"Hurry up Cera or else we would be late!" my father hollered up the stairs. Good, I want to be late, I thought. I rushed down the stairs anyway with my coat in my hand. "You look splendid." As if my father's compliment would brighten up my dreary mood.
"Here we are." The car stopped in front of a crowded three-storey house. The lights were on and there was a lot of loud classical music emitting from the house. From the blinds at the front window, you could see shadows of figures inside the house. Funnn, I thought. We scrambled up the stone pathway up the few steps towards the open front door. "Hello!" my grandmother greeted. She was dressed in a fancy silk blouse, cardigan and skirt. Behind her was my Grandfather. He was always mellow but I knew that he loved me. "Welcome," my Grandpa nodded toward us. Slowly, a group formed around us, mainly talking to my father. "I hear that your company's stocks are rising. May I ask for strategies? As you can tell..." I tuned them all out as I rushed toward the quiet, empty family room upstairs. At least I thought it was empty. Sat perched on the comfy sofa, flicking through channels on the flat screen was...
"Andrew!" I exclaimed. "Do I know you?" he asked. I blushed. Maybe this wasn't Andrew. I certainly did remember that blonde shaggy hair...
"Oh, you're Cera right?" Andrew turned around surprised. He smiled brightly at me as I approached him. "I can't believe you're here!" "I can't believe you're here too!" My mood totally changed. Maybe this party wouldn't be so bad... And then a small voice in my head reminded me of a warning that Jessica told me that night I met Andrew. But maybe she's wrong. His comforting smile turned the 'maybe' to an 'of course'.
~~
We were called down a while later after a long chat. I found out that I have a lot in common with Andrew. His family were interior designers, which I couldn't believe. He told me he liked technology and admired my father and his company. I made a note to tell my father that. "Attention everyone!" my Grandpa boomed. A scent of grape wine wafted through the air and I could tell that the partiers were drinking. My verdict was proven correct when I spotted a glass of red liquid in Grandpa's hand. He was holding a microphone in the other hand. "I would like to announce something very important," he continued. "As you know, my son--" he pointed to Tim Jonah in the crowd, "will grow old someday and we would need an heir to the company. And that very heir would be my beloved grand-daughter, Cera Jonah!" The rest of the crowd cheered, but I wasn't. I stood a-gaped near the front door, fuming. Why the hell did my father never told me anything??!! I ran out the front door, tears streaming down my face. Andrew called after me, trying to catch up but I was way ahead and I knew the neighborhood well. As I stared out at the clear dark sky, the stars twinkled, seeming to brag. They had a chance to shine, while I was set in a career that I never wanted. Didn't my father and Grandpa had a choice? I ran down a long alley, covered with trees, providing a dark shadow, hiding me from any passer-by's. I sobbed quietly as I tried not to make too much of a sound. This was the important role my father told me. How come I didn't understand this before? I wanted to be a designer. Why can't I shine like the stars?