Music Lesson

One Touch

Dara arrived in Jiyong’s studio, wah it’s so nice in here! I wonder what he’s working on…She sat down and played the last thing that was recorded. Omo…is that CL? But why are there two different versions of the same song? She continued to listen to the song.

 

At this moment, know more about me
Guys are either kids or dogs
Other guys will take you away like a hawk
I’ll give you the love you’ve never felt before
I’ll be ya james bond, Until the end for you

You got me losing my mind
The way you got me fired up
Never give up boy even when they try us
You and me against the world
With you I ride or die tonight

You have my heart like the beat
The way you got me turned up
Never give up boy even when they try us
You and me against the world
With you I ride or die tonight

If I’m a boring realist
You’re a dreamer
If you’re going there
I’ll follow you even if I’m dreaming
On that green field
Let’s build a picturesque house
On your ring finger
Let’s get a diamond as big as your thumb
I’ll give you the world
You can be the owner
This is a crazy love song
You can just be the main character
My calendar is red, why?
cuz everyday is your birthday
My calendar is red, why?
cuz everyday is your birthday
Listen well
Come here
Please stop lifting me up and letting me go
You might say two different things with one mouth
Let’s stop with the childish playing nah
We ride or die
You’re bonnie
I’m clyde
There’s no tomorrow for us tonight

You got me losing my mind
The way you got me fired up
Never give up boy even when they try us
You and me against the world
With you I ride or die tonight

You have my heart like the beat
The way you got me turned up
Never give up boy even when they try us
You and me against the world
With you I ride or die tonight

Me and my girl friend we ride or die
Me and my girl friend
Me and my girl friend we ride or die
Me and my girl friend

Me and my girl friend we ride or die
Me and my girl friend
Me and my girlfriend we ride or die
Me and my girl friend

You got me losing my mind
The way you got me fired up
Never give up boy even when they try us
You and me against the world
With you I ride or die tonight

You have my heart like the beat
The way you got me turned up
Never give up boy even when they try us
You and me against the world
With you I ride or die tonight

Wah! What a good song! I wonder what’s different about the other version? She started to play the other file labeled ‘R.O.D’ but it had an “L” in parenthesis at the end of it. Oh! It’s the same song, but Lydia is singing! Omo, they’re both so good! But…I like Lydia’s more, it’s like everything fits perfectly. Chaerin’s version is good too, but I don’t know…it doesn’t have quite the same feeling as Lydia’s. I wonder which one Jiyong will go with.

*Knock knock* Dara turned around to see Teddy enter the room. “Oh, hey O-um-hyung!” Shoot, I almost forgot I was in Jiyong’s body! You can’t mess up Dara, fighting! I probably shouldn’t let anyone know that it’s me in his body and not actually him… “What’s up?” This is how he talks right? I can’t talk like how I normally talk! Gah, how annoying.

“What do you mean? You texted me to come over,” Teddy gave a confused look.

I texted him? About what? “Oh…I see, um, about what?” Dara said.

Teddy raised an eyebrow, shouldn’t you know what you texted me about? Especially since you’re the one who sent it, “Already forgotten? You’re still young though Jiyong!” he teased, “Remember how you told me about the new song that you were in the middle of writing? And you wanted to run it by me, to see about certain parts especially about the beats.”

Dara just blinked in confusion, not even knowing what to say. He was on the way to his studio to talk to Teddy about one of his new songs?? Shoot, how am I supposed to do this? And I can’t contact him, I don’t even know the password to unlock his phone! “Um…right, sorry, a lot of things happened today so I’m very out of it. I’ll go over to your studio in a little to go over it with you. Sorry about having you come all the way over here.”

“Yeah, sure. I’m still working on the rhythm for another potential song, so just come over at any time. Lydia should be there too, if you need to talk to her about ‘R.O.D’” he said before leaving.

“Thanks hyung, I’ll be over shortly…” Shoot, what am I going to do? Jiyong where are you? We haven’t even properly talked about this whole situation, Aigoo, there goes my plans for avoiding him. Where to start? Oh, right! Song…new song…what could it possibly be?? She stared at the music papers that were sitting at Jiyong’s workstation. And saw a couple of sheets without a title.

 

Nothing ever lasts forever
In the end, you changed
There is no reason, no sincerity
Take away such a thing as love
Tonight, I’ll be messed up

 

Leave me alone
I was alone anyway
I have no one, everything is meaningless
Take away the sugar-coated comfort
Tonight, I’ll be messed up

Her eyes stopped at the words “messed up”. That doesn’t seem quite right…messed up? Does he mean, as in doing the things you shouldn’t? Things you know you shouldn’t? Things aren’t right and you don’t want to think properly…you’re sick of perfection or what people want you to act like? So opposite of perfection…not messed up…something a little deeper…that’s what Jiyong would do, right? Hmmm…ah! What’s that word…oh! “Crooked”? She took a pencil and lightly wrote “Crooked” under where “messed up” was.

What now? I still don’t know exactly how this song is supposed to go…what if “crooked” doesn’t even fit in with how the melody goes? File…he must have a sample recording…She looked at his music files and found a file labeled “Unknown”. Might as well give this a try. She clicked play and started listening to the song, yes! This is the right song. Ah, so this is how it goes…maybe I can do this. She started to practice the song over and over again, as it was and also how she changed it a little. Good thing, his body still remembers how it goes, otherwise, it might have been hopeless for me to try and imitate. I guess I should go see Teddy oppa now…Fighting, she thought as she fist pumped the air. She stood up and walked over to Teddy’s studio. After gently knocking, she entered the room to find Teddy and Lydia working. “Hey, Hyung, Lydia, sorry about the wait,” she apologized.

Teddy and Lydia turned around, “No problem Ji. Okay, let’s see what you got. You mentioned before about how the lyrics don’t quite sound right…? And you wanted to tweak some of the background rhythms and stuff. Um, just go inside the recording booth and we’ll take it from there.”

Dara followed the instructions and entered the recording room. She placed the headphones on and the sheets of music in front of her ready to go. She signaled that she was all ready to go, and then the music started playing. She sang the original version first and Teddy definitely agreed that the lyrics were a bit off. They were good, but he knew they could be better. And knowing Jiyong, nothing but the best would be accepted. “I think you’re right, there’s something about the lyrics…its just…a little off.”

“Can I try something? I thought of a somewhat revised version of the song, in terms of the lyrics…” Dara suggested, oh my goodness, I hope this works!

“Sure, hold on…okay, all set,” Teddy played the track again. And Dara started to sing her revised version.

 

Nothing ever lasts forever
In the end, you changed
There is no reason, no sincerity
Take away such a thing as love
Tonight, I’ll be crooked

Leave me alone
I was alone anyway
I have no one, everything is meaningless
Take away the sugar-coated comfort
Tonight, I’ll be crooked

I scream and get dizzy
I vent out of boredom to other couples
I start fights for no reason like a town gangster
Sometimes, I purposely shake my leg, crookedly
The main characters of the movie called this world is you and me
A lonely island, lost and wandering
The empty streets are filled with those who are alone
Unlike my heart, the weather is so damn nice

I used to believe in you alone and I was happy
But like a joke, I am left alone
You used to promise me with your pinky finger
But in the end

Nothing ever lasts forever
In the end, you changed
There is no reason, no sincerity
Take away such a thing as love
Tonight, I’ll be crooked

Leave me alone
I was alone anyway
I have no one, everything is meaningless
Take away the sugar-coated comfort
Tonight, I’ll be crooked

I’ll put on thick eyeliner, use a whole can of hairspray
Leather pants, leather jacket with a frown
I want to hide my pain and become even more crooked
So you can feel sorry, I’ll spit toward the sky
You’re scared of my crude words and my rough eyes
But actually, I’m afraid, I want to go back but I have nowhere to go
I want to love but no one to love, what am I supposed to do?
I can’t turn it back

I used to believe in you alone and I was happy
But like a joke, I am left alone
You used to promise me with your pinky finger
But in the end

Nothing ever lasts forever
In the end, you changed
There is no reason, no sincerity
Take away such a thing as love
Tonight, I’ll be crooked

Leave me alone
I was alone anyway
I have no one, everything is meaningless
Take away the sugar-coated comfort
Tonight, I’ll be crooked

Will you not say anything for me tonight?
I didn’t know being alone would be this hard (I miss you)
Will you be my friend tonight?
On this good day, this beautiful day, this day where I miss you
Tonight, I’ll be crooked

“Dude, that was dope!” Teddy looked at Jiyong amazed. Only a simple change of words in the lyrics changed the song completely! Even though he seemed so out of it earlier, Jiyong must be back into his groove. “Okay, let’s record it a few more times, then we’ll listen to it. That way we can see if it’s really what we want.”

Dara nodded, so this is how it’s like being a producer, composer, and singer. Wah, Jiyong, you really are super amazing. She recorded the song a few times before being able to listen to the full product. Slowly she was able to really understand the depth of the music she was creating. Of course, it wasn’t the depth that Jiyong actually understood, but she was learning. I hope I’m doing him justice with this…

 

A/N: Ahaha you guys should be proud of me! I wrote this along with chapter 2 and 4, yay! Thanks for all of the support *bow* I'm glad you guys like it ^^ Thanks for reading my story <3

BTW I didn't know that it'd show that I had another chapter here when I clicked "hide chapter" I wanted to surprise you, boo :(

How did Dara know to choose the word Crooked? And will Jiyong appreciate Dara's help? Until next time! :D