Chapter 2

The Secret Ingredient

{ Tuesday }

 

[ Lee Jinki's POV ]

 

I'm back, Sun Shin Dongsaeng! I think to myself as I cross the street to the curb where her stand is located. I walk up to it, ready to order when I see her. Her face is troubled. It's the same expression I've seen too many times... I wonder what's wrong. I sigh. There are too many downcast souls in this life. I'll make sure to enliven this one.

 

[ Kim Sun Shin's POV ]

 

"Hey! Sleeping on the job, huh? How naughty." He grins slyly. It takes me a moment to recall his face.

"Omo! It's you again! Sorry! What would you like to order today?" I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised to see him again.

"Three buckets of fried chicken please!" Three? Three?? Whatever. It's none of my business, although I am curious what he's going to do with three buckets of chicken, although I am curious what he's going to do with so much. After he pays I turn and busy myself frying, as the aroma wafts through the air I feel at home again. Oh, how many times we had had left-over chicken for dinner when we had no money to buy anything else to eat. I can hear his footsteps as he turns and sits down at a bench. I fill all three buckets quickly and carry them carefully to the Jinki fellow. As i return to the stand to clean up, I notice the bench he chose to sit at. There were so many other benches, yet I always liked that one the most. It was directly under the cherry blossoms so whenever they were in season and the wind blew, the sweet fragrance of flowers would float down and play around my nose. The bench was positioned in the perfect angle where I could see between the two buildings on the opposite street into the square where the fountain stood. Suddenly, he takes a deep breath like he's prepared to say something important. Startled out of my blissful thoughts, I turn around and lean against the counter to listen to what he has to say. I never get to hear it though. His phone rings abruptly. A recording of a baby chick making cute peeping noises is set as his ringtone. I laugh to myself, he's a queer one... He smiles a bit, clearly embarrassed. He checks the caller ID then picks up cautiously.

"Yubseyo?"

Silence.

"Neh."

He hangs up slowly.

His face is a mixture of bewilderment and misery. Something awful must have happened.

"I'm sorry. I'll be leaving first. Emergency."

He turns and walks away briskly. He crosses the street then starts jogging. Soon he's sprinting away. I watch as his figure grows smaller and smaller into the distance. I don't know what to think.

 

[ Lee Jinki's POV ] 

 

No. It's not possible. I hope she's okay. I sprint towards the hospital as fast as these legs will take me. This can't be happening. I knew she was depresssed... but not like this. No. What possibly could have made her like this? She really went too far this time. THIS IS NOT THE REALITY I WANTED.  I am going to go crazy. My head is going to explode. It's shrieking, hwoling. Thoughts are screaming at me. There's an overload of images, feelings, emotions. I can't take it all. I almost get run over twice. She can't die now. She can't. I can't handle all this. I didn't know it was possible to feel this much all at once. This is grief. I run even faster. She's only 11. I wasn't like this when I was eleven. Eleven year olds are supposed to go around singing and dancing and playing and not caring about anything. WHY IS MY SISTER LIKE THIS. I finally reach the hospital doors. I pull up my hood and stumble up to the reception desk. 

"M-my sister. Wh-where's my sister?" I stutter.

"Name?"

I pronounce it slowly. She types some stuff into her computer.

"Room 473. She should be okay." She says quietly.

I nod gratefully and totter to the elevator, otu of balance. When the elevator doors open I fling myself in and collapse against the wall. I clutch the railing, the whole world spinning out of proportion. When the doors open the first thing I see is my mom sobbing.

 

~~

 

Thank God. She's alive. Anemic and scar-welding, but alive. I sit down next to mom, nto even trying to hold back tears. Back hunched and weeping, I forget my pride. I was grateful, and that was enough for now. 

 


Sorry... I still haven't gotten anything interesting in... Please be patient! I promise it gets better. Jonghyun hasn't even made an appearance yet TT___TT