Chapter 6

The Secret Ingredient

 

{ Saturday }
 
[ Lee Taemin’s POV ] 
 
“Eat well guys, we have a real tiring rehearsal today!” Onew reminds us, skirting around the counter to bring us our breakfast. Yum yum. Toast! I am so ready to eat. We all sit down together at the breakfast table to eat. I dig in immediately.
Mouth full, I beam at Onew, “Oppa! Zhis toath ith uhmazhingg!” 
He smiles back, “Swallow your food before you talk Taeminnie, we don’t want you choking to death.”
I swallow, then continue shoving toast into my mouth happily. I glance at Minho and Key having a good time too, at the moment, Key was stuffing bread into Minho’s open mouth. There’s MinKey for you fangirls, I think to myself. Then I look at Jonghyun, deep in thought. He must be jealous of Minho... Abruptly, Jonghyun pushes out his chair and leaves the table. Wow... he ate fast today. Jonghyun was usually one of the slowest eaters. 
“I have to meet someone. I’ll meet you guys at the SM Building in our rehearsal room at one thirty.” Minho watches him leave questionably. Key does aegyo quickly to catch his attention again. Cute move, Key. Real cute. I turn back to Onew and start acting cute too, following Key’s example. After all, I am the King of Aegyo. 
 
[ Kim Sun Shin’s POV ] 
 
Saturdays are so wonderful... I don’t have to wake up early and work I think happily to myself. Then I remember. The guy. Kim Jonghyun, was it? I was supposed to meet him at the cafe at 11. I look over at my alarm clock. 10:53. Shoot. So much for a good impression. I swing my legs out of bed and stumble clumsily to the bathroom and start brushing my teeth while I dig through my closet for something decent to wear. Damn, I really need to go shopping soon. All this stuff is way out of style. I manage to find a white scoop neck tee and a grey skirt. I pair the shirt with a dark green cardigan and a belt. Eh. Good enough. I finish brushing my teeth, then change. I grab a purse then run for the door. 11:02. Already late. How smooth. I walk as quickly as possible without running. How far is the cafe? A few blocks? I can probably get there within 10 minutes. Aishh. I continue fast walking until I finally reach the cafe. 11.14. I smooth down my hair, then push open the door. It’s not opening. Why is it not opening?? I look down. 
 
PULL. 
 
Goddammit, Sun Shin. Pull yourself together, girl. I take a deep breath then enter successfully this time. I look around the cafe and spot him sitting at a booth in a corner. I try my best to look put together as I walk towards him.
“Mianhae. I woke up late today, I forgot about our date.” Ohmygoodness. I forgot about our date??? That makes it sound like it wasn’t important to me. I realize my mistake, then bow to hide my humiliated face.“That’s alright”, he nods “sit down.” he gestures towards the seat across from him. I tuck in my skirt as I scoot into the booth. 
“I got impatient while waiting for you, so I ordered a cup of coffee for you.” He pushes a cup over to me. “I appreciate it. I walked here very quickly when I realized I was late, so I’m a bit out of breath.”
“Did you have a difficult time getting here?” He takes a sip out of his own cup. My eyes follow his jawline, down his neck... 
“Yes... there was some traffic.” I suddenly notice some cream on his lips. This is so uncomfortable... Should I ignore it or point it out? Ahhh?! “Er. You have some cream next to your mouth..” I point at the place. Wrong move. I hit my cup accidentally in the middle of my awkward gesture. These moments always feel like they play in slow motion. At that second in time my only thought was that I’ll probably never forgive myself for doing this on a date with such a hot guy. I watch as the cup wobbles heavily, then topples over. It spills over the table and starts dripping off onto my legs. Yikes. It’s really hot. I look up quickly to see his startled face. He stands up quickly and sets the cup upright then starts mopping up my mess with napkins. This is mortifying. Everything is going wrong today. 
“Stand up.” He orders, grinning. It’s the first time I’ve seen him smile. He no longer looks hot. Instead, he looks like a descendant of a dinosaur and a pooch. I guess that’s the new cute. Dinopooches. I smile uncomfortably then slide out of the seat. He takes a napkin then starts wiping at my bare legs for me. my life. How many humiliating moments am I going to have with this guy? I at this stuff. He finishes, now laughing. “Can you not go a day without knocking things over? The first time I met you I had to sweep up your dishes, and now you make me wipe coffee off your legs. How rude.” I can’t help but laughing too, his melodious laugh is startlingly contagious.
“Mianhae!” I attempt at a cute pouting face, making him laugh even harder. From there, the date got considerably better. “I don’t forgive you quite yet. Come. Let’s go get a snack.” I suddenly realize how hungry I am. I skipped breakfast because of the hurry. “I’ll treat you, I know the best vendors in Seoul anyways.” I suggest. “Okay. You pay. But that’s not you still owe me after.” I grin then grab his hand and start dragging him out the cafe. 
 
~~
 
Clutching our pretzels, we wander the busy streets of Seoul. He’s not at all dignified or elegant like I assumed yesterday. His looks are still the same, yet somehow the image “Kim Jonghyun”, is no longer of a serious, dignified man. It’s now of a really silly guy laughing so hard he has to bend over. I noticed today how his nose crinkles when he laughs, what I failed to notice yesterday, was exactly how short he was. I’ll probably never be able to wear heels when I’m with him. On second thought... that might not be a good idea anyways considering the possibilities in a situation where I’m in high shoes that require a good amount of balance. I smile at the idea and am to reach for his hand as we continue walking through Seoul. 
 

 
Cute chappie^^ I had so much fun writing this.