Chapter 5

The Secret Ingredient

[ Friday }

 

[ Kim Sun Shin’s POV ]
 
I wake up cold in the morning. I look out my window to see steam condensed on the window. It’s going to be chilly today. I brush my teeth and dress. I make sure to put on a scarf and gloves then head out the door. I need to go to the market to get some food... I made enough money this week from the stand to get myself a treat too. I can see my own breath as I walk down the street towards the nearest market. It’s early so the streets aren’t as crowded yet. Only the people commuting to work are up right now. It’s a peculiar feeling, being up when everyone else is sleeping. It’s a free feeling, roaming the empty streets. I step into my favorite shop. Warm air from inside the store collides into the cold air behind me as the sliding doors open. I grab a basket and start filling it with vegetables, eggs, milk and other things I need. I have to be more careful with money now since my earnings are meager. It’s not easy making money from cooking chicken. Since I don’t need many things I finish shopping quickly and head for the register. It’s really early and they only have one cashier on duty but the line’s unusually long for this time of day. Slightly annoyed, I take my spot in line and wait. I look at the magazines on display next to the register. I am extremely shocked to find not one, but two familiar faces on a magazine cover. I take the magazine off the shelf slowly and read the cover. 
 
SHINee makes a comeback in Japanese! Their single Noona Neomu Yeoppo also know as Replay tops charts in Japan. 
 
I look at the picture and see five boys. One looks awfully familiar. Lee Jinki? The magazine says his name is Onew... I look back to the other familiar face. It takes me a while to remember where I’ve seen him. I remember with a start, it was the handsome guy that helped me pick up my broken dishes yesterday. I remember thinking he had the looks to be an idol. I flip through the magazine to find a name. Kim Jonghyun? 
“Miss, are you going to buy that magazine?” I look up to see the line significantly shorter. I was next in line.“Oh yes, sorry...”
“It’s alright, a lot of our customers are interested in SHINee.”
As I place my items on the conveyer belt I suddenly have an idea. “Excuse me... could you tell me who this member is?”
The cashier takes a look at the guy I was pointing at says excitedly, “That’s Onew! His real name is Lee Jinki but he’s also well known as Onew and dubu. He’s well known for his obsession with chicken and his ‘condition’ which causes him to trip and knock things over a lot.” 
I wasn’t expecting this much information... their fans sure do know a lot about them. His obsession for chicken, huh? Well, if it is him that would explain the three buckets of chicken. I nod gratefully and pay for my groceries and the magazine then exit the store, thinking. 
 
[ Kim Jonghyun’s POV ] 
 
As I approach the stand I can see her cute, round face. It looks like she’s reading something. A magazine? I eventually realize it says SHINee on the cover. Shoot. Does that mean she knows who we are now? I pull up my hood just in case. I order carefully, in a softer voice than normal.
“Can I have a bowl of chicken flavored ramen please?”
“Chicken ramen? Ah... yes.” She looks up from the magazine. She recognizes me immediately even under my hood. I can tell by her face. I can also tell that she’s trying to inspect my face closely to see if I’m really Kim Jonghyun. Silly girl. I inspect her face in the same manner. Round face. Pale. Smooth complexion. Almond shaped eyes. Mono eyelids. She couldn’t be categorized under hot but maybe under cute or even pretty. 
 
~~
 
I finish eating, when she comes to pick up my bowl and chopsticks I grab her elbow and tell her to sit down. 
“I’m Kim Jonghyun.”
She looks a little taken-aback. “I-I’m Kim Sun Shin...” Hm. Same surname. 
“You own this place right?” I gesture to the stand. 
She nods slowly. “But wait. Are you the Kim Jonghyun? From SHINee?”
I consider my options. I could say no and turn this pretty girl down... or I could reveal my identity and win a pretty girl. I pull down my hood slowly. 
“Yes. Are you a Shawol?”
“Sorry?” Her face registered confusion.
“A SHINee fan. Never mind then, obviously not.”
“Oh... sorry if it offended you. I just learned about your group recently as a matter of fact.”
“That’s okay. It’s good actually, I’ve been kind of lonely recently. I think I need a girlfriend. Almost all the girls in Korea know about SHINee, its hard finding a friend that doesn’t want to take advantage of me.” I respond. “Actually... would you like to go on a date with me tomorrow?” She looks extremely surprised now. Hahaha, she must be new to the game. 
“Uhm... Sure...” she answers cautiously. 
“Okay. Meet me at the cafe around the corner tomorrow at 1. See you. ” I push my chair back and leave her sitting there, slightly amused by her bewildered face. She’s probably wondering how she scored a date with such a handsome guy so easily. I smirk to myself.