Chapter 15

The Secret Ingredient

 

{ Thursday Cont. }

 

[ Kim Sun Shin’s POV ]

 

Finally. Lunch break! Today’s been unusually busy. I guess I’m getting more popular, I’ve been getting a lot of compliments which makes me really happy. I take off my apron and and plop down at my favorite bench to eat when I see a strange figure stumbling my way. It’s Onew. Of course. Scared that he’ll trip I hurry to go meet him, leaving my box of chicken.

“Onew oppa... are you okay? You don’t look so good...” He looks very dizzy. He’s still stumbling forward so I walk backwards in front of him waving my hand in front of his face. 

“Uh. Onew?” He somehow trips over the perfectly smooth sidewalk and teeters forwards over towards me. He never manages to catch his balance though, because he falls on top of me. And it hurts. Let’s just say Onew’s not light. He lands right on top of me. His chin connects with my shoulder with a sharp thud. Ouch. My head hits the ground right after. . I also happened to fall on my tail bone. Well that’s going to hurt for a while. Actually I take that back. My whole body’s going to hurt for a while. The fall seemed to awaken Onew though, because he suddenly pulls himself off me.

“Oh god! I’m so sorry!” His dazed face might have made the pain worth it. His apologies too. “SUN SHIN! Is your head alright? No bleeding?”

“Ah.. I should be fine although my head’s throbbing a bit. I kind of fell down hard on my too.”

“I heard that if you hit your head too hard it might start bleeding internally That’s really bad.... here let me make sure there’s no bumps.” Before I process the words he just said I feel his big, soft hands feeling around my head. 

“Is your tail bone okay?”

I blush a bit, embarrassed. “It’s hurting a bit but I’ll be okay in no time!” I grin at him reassuringly. 

“Throbbing!? Ouch. Here, want me to carry you?”

“AH! No! I mean, it’s alright. I’m sure I can walk by myself.” To prove my point I try pushing myself off the ground. I grimace a bit but manage to reach a squat before my knees collapse on me, leaving me to fall on my . Again. This time it hurts even worse because my buttocks happens to be very sensitive to pain now. Emitting a little squeak, I try to stand up again but apparently Onew’s fully back to earth now and see’s the agony in my expression. Can I die of embarrassment now please?

 

[ Lee Jinki’s POV ]

 

I pick her up bridal style. She’s surprisingly light for her height. I can feel her squirming uneasily in my arms. It’s kind of amusing how uncomfortable she is right now. I’m about to set her down on the bench where she left her half eaten lunch when I remember how painful it would be for her to sit. Uh... How do I do this.
“Sun Shin... how would you like me to set you down. I don’t think it would be comfortable for you to sit.”

“Errrrr. I don’t know actually. Haha I guess I could lay on the bench on my stomach?”

Oh... Well. This is awkward. I somehow manage to get her on her stomach in front of her lunch. I sit down on the ground next to her and watch her eat, leaning against the bench.
“Want some?” She waves the chicken in front of me teasingly. “I’m not hungry. You can have the rest of the box if you like.”

Aish, I suddenly remember that I had only an apple for breakfast. Then I had to watch Taemin eat his pancakes. “Are you really sure you don’t want any more?”

“Yes. I’m sure.” She says happily to me. 

I smile back and start on a drumstick gleefully. Jesus ing christ. My taste buds. Is this the real life? Or is this just the fantasy... Goodness. What does she put in this stuff. Amazing doesn’t even begin to describe it. It’s still nice and warm, seasoned perfectly. Crispy on the outside but tender and juicy on the inside. Ohmygoodness it’s incredible. I take another leg and start on it immediately.

“Mphf, Sun Shin! This is like the food of gods or something. Ambrosia...”

She beams at me, “I’m getting such compliments from the chicken expert Lee Jinki? My chicken must genuinely be delicious! “ 

I finish the drumstick and start on a wing. “Aghhhfplkajf. What do you even put in this?”

She grins slyly at me. “You really want to know?”

“What? YES.” Does she put something weird in it? Like. Cow spleen or frog guts or something?

Her expression’s still joking. “Are you sureee?”

“YES. I’M DYING TO KNOW KIM SUN SHIN.”

“Well then, I’ll have to leave you to die because it’s something my father taught me. It’s called the Secret Ingredient.”

“But what is it?” I make sure to put on my best boyish face. I guess you could say it’s my equivalent of a Taepout or Key’s aegyo. 

She’s still grinning at me, with a hint of mocking. “It’s not anything that you can buy... it’s not even a materialistic good. Some people would call it priceless or something of immeasurable value. The best way I can put it is it’s the stuff life’s made from. What is it, you’re asking? Well I can’t tell you, can I? Or else it wouldn’t be a secret.” And then she giggles at my expression.

I grab another wing, promising it to be my last. I have to think about what she just said. It’s not materialistic? So she doesn’t add frog guts. That’s a relief... but the part that puzzled me most was “the stuff our lives are made of”. Huh? Everyone’s life is different. How can all of them revolve around the same thing? But it’s not supposed to be a “thing” so how do I phrase it? Seriously baffled, I chew my chicken harder. I’m still thinking when she staggers back.

“Oh! I’m sorry. I didn’t notice you got up... I guess I was thinking too hard” I say sheepishly.

“Yeah. I didn’t get it. I almost kicked you straight in the face yet you went right on chewing on that bone, thinking.”

“I’m sorry... I get lost in my thoughts a lot. I guess that’s why I’m so clumsy.”

“I see. Nice excuse there. Well... I doubt I can keep working like this so I’ll be heading home! Come back tomorrow and I’ll make you my best chicken again, alright?”

“Where are you going? Do you seriously plan on walking home like that?

“It’s really not far. Just a few blocks.”

“I don’t need you collapsing in the middle of the street. I’ll help you home.”

“No--” I guess she seemed to realize she was wrong, and that she did need my help mid sentence. “Oh, alright. Just remember that you offered yourself.” She says, defeated.

 


 

I kind of just realized that I haven't updated in forever, and I owe you guys. SO HERE. YAYY. I WAS SO HAPPY WRITING THIS I CAN NOT EVEN. SO CUTE. I WANT TO BE SUN SHIN. ASDFGHJK ENTERING FANGIRL MODE NOW. By the way... I read this afterwards and I  noticed the font. I write this fanfic on my mac and this is the font it shows up in... ._. Sorry it's different. I have no idea what the other font is called... so you guys will have to deal with this for now.