Chapter 1

The Secret Ingredient

Please read description before starting fanfic. 

{ Monday }

 

[ Kim Sun Shin's POV ] 

It has been two months now. I have learned to accept that for the time being, they are not returning. I'm living off the profits of the chicken stand. The concept doesn't seem so embarrassing anymore now that it feeds me, dresses me, and keeps a roof over my head. It's not too bad anyways. It's nice working there, greeting the familiar neighbors. The fall breeze brushes against my skin and the vivid reds and oranges of the leaves please my eyes, I close them slowly and remember all the summers I had helped my dad here. Cleaning, cooking, talking to regular customers to keep them happy. Why did all these times seem so long ago? The memories aren't as clear anymore. Parts of them are faded, just like my presence.

 

[ Lee Jinki's POV ] 

 

Aishhh. Today has been too depressing. I need chicken. I need chicken. I need chicken. I need chicken... OMO!! A chicken stand! My prayers have been answered! Mmmm. I can smell you already, I'm coming chicken-ah! Oh! What's this. What's the girl doing... why are her eyes closed? Heehee. She's actually kinda cute, this one...

"HI! Errr... can I get two buckets of chicken, please?" I ask, beaming at the thought of chicken.

The cute girl opens her eyes with a start, clearly surprised. Recovering hastily, she relies quickly, "Of course! Coming right up! That will be $15.73."

I pull out my wallet and count the bills out loud to eighteen. I never got there. Seventy three cents short. Thats nice. 

"Hahaha it's all right!" the girl laughs, "I can live without seventy three cents. Forget about it!"

I really like this girl's laugh... She goes to the back and starts frying my chicken. My soulmate. I smell you. The most delicious scent in the world. She comes around with two buckets and sets them both down next to me on my bench. She looks around to make sure there are no other customers, then sits down next to me.

"Are you going to eat all this by yourself?" she asks, bemused.

"Yes." I take a bite and start chewing immediately. "Mmmmm, what'd you put in this? This... this is amazing!"

She stares at me for a while, then whispers slyly in my ear.

"Secret ingredient."

She winks. She winks. I stop chewing for a while. I take in her peculiar expression. She winked.

"I'm Lee Jinki. What's your name?" I ask after I finish chewing my delicious chicken. 

"Kim Sun Shin. Best chicken chef in Seoul!"

I can tell by her response that she doesn't know who I am. That's good. Fangirls get tiring eventually, I mean I love them all, Without them I wouldn't be here but it's nice once in a while to just make a friend for a friend's sake. I smile at her then take another ferocious bite of chicken. Kim Sun Shin, huh?

 

[Kim Sun Shin's POV ] 

 

He's sorta cute. Maybe. But seriously, who orders two buckets of chicken all for themselves? Let's just see if he can finish it. No one beats the number of buckets Appa could eat. No one. But it's true. We do make the best chicken around here. The guy's got that right! It's slightly mysterious though... Where have I seen his face before? Hm. Oh well. I guess he's just a guy who likes his chicken.

 

[Lee Jinki's POV ]

 

I finish the first bucket of chicken. I plan to bring the other box home to share with the other members. I look one last time at Sun Shin. She doesn't look so happy anymore, staring off into blank space, her eyes glassy. I wonder what's bothering her. I'll find out soon and help cheer you up, delicious chicken chef!

"I'm done with your fabulous chicken now! I'll be leaving first. I'm going to share this with my hyungs and tell everyone how good your cooking skills are. Thanks Sun Shin! I won't forget your kindness." She looks up, no longer grinning. She nods and attempts at a smile. Hey. You. I know it's fake. Don't try tricking me. I know what fake smiles look like. I smile back though, because it feels right at the moment and because I hoped it would cheer her up a bit.

 

~~
 

"Hyungs!! I'm home!!"

No response.

"I have food!!"

Taemin ambles out of the hallway with a silly face.

"Whatcha got, Oppa?"

"Chicken!" I say excitedly.

Key, Jonghyun and Minho come and greet me now.

"Of course", Key and Jonghyun groan

"No. Seriously. Try it. It's really, really good", I say earnestly.
I can tell they don't believe me.

"Taemin! Try it. I promise you'll like it." I take out a wing and feed it to Taemin. His face lights up.

"WHAO! No kidding! What's in this??"  Taemin asks, shocked.

"No idea. The girl wouldn't tell me." Minho reaches into the box and grabs a leg. He takes a cautious bite. His satisfaction is extremely obvious. 
"Mmmm! Jonghyun... Onew wasn't exaggerating this time... the chicken's actually really good."

Jonghyun reaches in slowly too. He takes a bite in the exact same manner as Minho. He has the same reaction too. 

"Come on Key! Try some!" the members coaxed.

Key finally gave in after being harassed for a good while. "YAH! Get off me!! I'll try some. Only a little. But if I don't like it don't expect me to finish it." He takes a small, careful bite. He hides it well but I can tell he's surprised too. Soon we're all fighting over the last 3 pieces. Me, Key and taemin end up winning the chicken. Funny how Key was one of the first to grab one of the three remaining wings when he was the most reluctant to try them. Oh well, diva Key is a diva. He get's what he wants.