Chapter 15

Most Valuable Players

(A/N: Omg just realized I'm writing the confession scenes to both fics, woooooooo!)

Taemin's heart skipped a beat. He choked on the sob he had been holding in and whimpered out a weak, "what?" He stopped stirring the sauce and turned the stove off.

"I love you Taemin, please don't leave me."

Taemin slowly turned around and gently pushed Jinki a step back. What?

"Yah, Lee Taemin, I'm telling you--," but in the moment Jinki was about to finish his sentence, Taemin tiptoed and forcefully kissed Jinki while tightly wrapping his arms around the elder's neck.

"I love you too," Taemin said softly while looking into Jinki's eyes, tears building in the younger's. "I love you and I'm scared." He had a faint smile on his face, but there was more behind it. I'm scared you really don't and won't love me back.

"Why? Why are you so paranoid?" Jinki asked.

"Because of the counsellor..." Taemin returned to his previous state and began to put the lasagna together in a casserole dish.

"What does he have to do with anything?"

Taemin sighed loudly. "He has to do with everything, Jinki!"

The counsellor was Choi Siwon. The counsellor was a superhuman being, who was the highest in command. The counsellor was in charge of all superhuman beings, and had to make sure everything was running smoothly in their society. Make sure no humans or other superhumans were harmed. Make sure everything was always under control. But being the counsellor had requirements. To be counsellor, one had to have the most powers.

Taemin was next to be counsellor, which was why everyone was so jealous. He got to be the next in control. But he didn't know that until he saw his visions. 

Taemin was next and then he had the position yanked out from beneath him. He carelessly fell in love without realizing other people could have hidden intentions. Without realizing he could be used for his powers and help another gain his way to the top. Someone undeserving. That someone could be Jinki if he truly didn't love Taemin. But Taemin was never too sure.

The next counsellor could be a tyrant. And the last time a counsellor was in that condition, the superbeings revolted. Ending the tyrants life in a full-fledged war, with only 50% of the superhuman kind remaining. Of course that was was over 100 years ago, and they had rebuilt their population to where it once was. 

But right now, Taemin was in a dilemma. Remain calmly by the love of his life without questioning the elder's motives, or interrogate the man for the greater good of the people.

In the end, Taemin put his feelings aside and questioned Jinki.

"I was next to be counsellor, I didn't care or mind, but you took that from me." He finished up and put the dish into the oven.

Jinki was dumbfounded, "did? And how did do that Taemin?"

"You slept with me." 

"Newsflash Taemin, you wanted to sleep with me."

"I didn't know you'd take my powers."

"Neither did I."

"Yeah you just conveniently forgot."

"Taemin, do you hear yourself right now? We met by chance. I didn't go out looking for Lee Taemin. I didn't choose to fall in love with you. It just happened. Things happen Taemin."

Taemin was looking down at his feet, how foolish did he feel right now.

"Now can you please put these fears behind you? Please, baby?"

Taemin shook his head. "No... I have this ugly feeling, it's scaring me. I feel like something bad is going to happen. Something really bad Jinki..."

"If that happens, we can worry about it then."

"But what if it's too late?"

"We'll find a way. But for now, you need to rest babe, you look so stressed and worn out, let's just go to bed." Jinki locked his fingers between Taemin's.

"Okay but if I don't take the food out of the oven, you're going to make me burn my kitchen down." Taemin said in a playful tone that made Jinki relax. Taemin pulled his hand apart from Jinki's and opened the oven. "It'll be done soon, let's just wait and eat."

"Okay, okay~ Only because you can cook really good~"

Taemin laughed and they began to chat about their younger siblings and plotted ways of getting them together.

---

The following day Jinki had woken up to the smell of food and he smiled to himself.

He tiptoed to the kitchen to try and scare Taemin, but Taemin had already caught on.

"I can hear you Tokki," Taemin said with a small giggle as he placed the scrambled eggs into two bowls.

"Aw, stupid powers," Jinki groaned and wrapped his arms around Taemin from behind.

"Anyway, go sit somewhere so I can finish."

"I wanna help!"

"Thank you my love, but I'd rather do this alone," Taemin smiled and put the hot dog slices he just cooked into the eggs.

"Whyyyyyy," Jinki whined like a smile child which made Taemin laugh.

"I don't need your clumsiness in my kitchen babe." Taemin set some water to boil and then began to make some pancake mix.

"Taeminnie is a Taemeanie," Jinki pouted and went to the sofa to sulk.

"Oh chill out," Taemin laughed again and began with the pancakes.

Jinki was lying face down on the sofa, all sprawled out, when Taemin finished everything.

"Do you wanna eat over there, hyung?"

A muffled sound came from Jinki's direction and Taemin took that as a yes. He grabbed some place mats and put them on the coffee table before bringing the plates of food and cups of tea.

"Do I have to feed you too?" Taemin asked with an amused expression.

"Mmf."

Taemin used his telekinesis to move Jinki into a sitting position and sat beside his boyfriend. He picked up the plate and held a forkful of eggs to Jinki's mouth.

Jinki sealed his lips. No~

Taemin giggled again and used his fork to stab a hot dog slice and held it up to Jinki's mouth again.

"Ah~" Jinki said as he opened his mouth.

"Jinki, why are you acting like this?!" Taemin said before bursting into laughter. "It's so cute, but it's so odd!"

"You didn't let me help," Jinki pouted.

"Aigoo~" Taemin set the plate down and leaned over to kiss his boyfriend. "So cute~"

And the rest of the morning was spent with laughter, kisses, and the two forgetting their classes.

---

Meanwhile Jonghyun hadn't slept a wink and skipped his classes too. He picked up his phone and dialed Kibum's number.

"Bummie, can you come over?"

"Jjong, I'm in class right now, can it wait?" Kibum sounded as tired and confused as Jonghyun.

"Please?"

"Fine." Kibum said tiredly, rolling his eyes as he morphed into a small mouse and stealthily ran out the room before turning back into a human.

When he finally reached Jonghyun's dorm, he walked straight to his boyfriend's room. 

"I'm here," but his eyes widened when he realized Jonghyun was bruised and crying. "Wh-what's wrong?!" Kibum had never seen Jonghyun cry. Not even when his dog Roo died. He quickly walked over to the bed and sat beside him. "Jjong?"

"Am I a bad person, Bummie? Answer me truthfully."

Without any hesistation, Kibum responded. "Yes."

Jonghyun didn't expect his boyfriend to be so straightforward but was happy for the honesty. "...How?"

"You started picking on Taemin the second you found out he was next to be counsellor, you turned the whole school against him, you pick on anyone whose face you just don't like and you're scary Jjong. I'm so afraid of saying anything because in one move you can end my life. You can end anyone's life and you use that to your advantage to be a bad person. I love you, but you're a horrible person Jonghyun."

Jonghyun's eyes were b with tears and he felt his heart break, sure he knew he was a bad person, but he even scared his own boyfriend.

"I'm so sorry Bummie," he whimpered and laid his head on Kibum's lap, tears wetting his boyfriend's jeans.

Kibum his hair. "Why don't you start being nicer Jjong? Hmm? Obviously you can't just change from a monster to a prince in a day, but ease of the teasing and bullying. Once you stop that, people won't be afraid of approaching you."

"Okay," Jonghyun muttered quietly, a hand clinging onto Kibum's shirt like a child holding onto their mother.

"And apologize to Jinki and Taemin."

Jonghyun shut his eyes as more tears fell out. He really hurt his best friend, all because he was jealous. Because he couldn't be counsellor. Because he couldn't be powerful and make his father proud.

"How? I'm sure they'll avoid me at any costs..."

"They'll avoid me too..."

"Why?"

"Because I confronted Taemin about him slapping you, and I slapped him back."

"Kibum, you know better than to fight my battles."

"I was just trying to help, but besides that, he said some unforgettable words before throwing me to the ground and quitting the dance team."

Jonghyun's eyes widened, he knew that Taemin really loved to dance. He also didn't know the scrawny thing had it in him to throw Kibum, then again, Kibum was also scrawny.

"Well?"

"Well what Jjong?"

"What did he say?"

Kibum frowned in thought but decided he should hear the words used to describe him. 

"Your boyfriend is a , and an , he feeds off of everyone else's misery. Sure, maybe he loves you, but face it, he's a monster that even you know you're afraid of," Kibum paused and stared at his boyfriend's face.

The elder sat with a pained expression, "Boy, was he right..."

"I think you should clean yourself up and apologize Jjong. Go take a shower, I'll cook something up for you," Kibum said silently as he went to the kitchen to prepare some food.

---

Taemin left Jinki napping in his bed while he went to show up to his last two classes.

He showed up to his mind-reading class, and everyone was already in pairs. Great.

You can join me.

Taemin looked in the direction of the voice and saw a cute boy with big eyes gazing at him, waving.

He walked over and sat in the stool in front of him.

My name is Luhan.

My name is--

Taemin, I know, Luhan gave a sheepish smile. I'm Shin Hye's friend.

Taemin smiled and stretched out a hand for a handshake. However, Luhan pulled him in for a hug. 

Is there a certain conversation we're supposed to be having right now? Taemin thought, ignoring the random hug that just happened.

Ah, just about how this power can be helpful and how it can be a burden.

That list never ends, Taemin rolled his eyes.

Luhan smiled and nodded. Agreed. How come this is the first time I notice you in this class?

I usually sit over there, Taemin pointed to a desolate corner of the room with a black stool.

Woah, eerie~ No wonder, I sit up front. So Taeminnie, let's be friends! I already know so much about you since Shin never shuts up about you.

Ah that girl, she's probably blurted out my biggest fears too. Not that I mind, these people are my greatest fears. They're so mean and cruel, they make me wish I weren't immortal.

That thought had been heard by everyone in the room. And had made everyone feel bad for picking on him.

Luhan's face fell, W-why?

Since the first day I came to this place, everyone's treated me like scum, like I've done the worst thing. But I myself don't know what I've done. I work hard to get my good grades, and my powers just came in an abundance, it's not like I stole them from someone. So why does everyone treat me this way?

I'm sorry.

Sorry Taemin.

Taemin, we never knew you felt that way.

Sorry.

Oh my god, I'm so sorry.

We never meant for you to feel this way.

Sorry.

I'm sorry for that.

Sorry, I didn't think you cared.

Sorry.

Everyone began thinking apologies to Taemin who was feeling overwhelmed, his head ready to burst from all the overlapping "sorry"s.

"Enough!" Taemin shouted with hands to his ears, face scrunched up. "If you're sorry, just leave me alone. Never talk to me or touch me, please, I beg you. Leave me alone, leave my friends alone, leave my boyfriend alone, and never step near my brother."

Everyone's eyes widened in shock. Taemin was usually so quiet. So accepting of things. Just when had he finally snapped?

I'm sorry Luhan, not making a very good first impression.

No way, it's an amazing impression, you're standing up for yourself Taemin. That's the best thing anyone can do.

Taemin smiled. He had earned another friend. When did making friends become so easy?

What class do you have next?

Ah, I have inspection.

What? I've never even heard of that.

Taemin giggled at the confused look on Luhan's face.

Inspection is basically a free period for me, except I have to go to a class. Any random class. Because counsellor Siwon and the head of MVP believe I might have another power left to awaken. So I go to a random class everyday and try to find my missing power.

That sounds so rad, man, I want that.

You have to have a missing power, I'm the only one to have inspection.

Wack, I want in on this.

Taemin openly laughed and patted Luhan on the arm.

Well, I'll tell you about the class I wander into later, okay? You have a phone?

Yup! Here~

The two switched phones and put in their numbers in.

Taeminnie

Lulubear

The two burst out laughing and the bell rang.

Have fun wandering.

"Pabo, we can talk now," Taemin laughed, "See you around."

 

***

HERE YOU HAVE IT PONYO.

I updated, so you better comment to prove you read this, since you're the only one who truly cares if I even update xD

 

-moe