02

Walking on Margins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September 2008

            “Why did you save me?” I asked, feeling somewhat irritated.

            “Because you’ll regret it in the future. Don’t do things you’re not certain of,” the stranger said.

            “Like you know anything better,” I replied, “just leave me alone. People like you don’t know anything, so go back to your fantasy land and live your ultimate dream.” I turned towards the ledge again, this time absolutely certain my wish could be granted. I felt a hand tug at my wrist again. The familiar touch of the callused fingers wrapped around my skin. I whipped around, this time frowning.

            “Did you not hear me clearly?” The stranger repeated, this time much louder. “You’ll regret it. Now stop with your foolish acts and go back home. Turn back now before it’s too late.”

            “I should be saying the same to you,” I snatched my wrist from the stranger’s clutches, “so get lost.”

            “I’m not leaving till you safely return to where you belong,” he said.

            “Get lost,” I shook my head and advanced towards the ledge. Nothing can possibly stop me now. Let him see my die – that’s what he deserves anyway for stalling me, I thought to myself. This time, instead of using physical contact, he called after me.

            “I’ve tried doing this before and I’ve never regretted it more.” Although he spoke rather softly, I heard his words quite clearly. I hesitated. I was uncertain if I should believe him or not.

            “Look,” I heard his footsteps shuffle towards me, “at one point in my life, I wanted to die too. And I actually tried without anyone stopping me. If there had been someone telling me not to do it, I wouldn’t have. But I tried it.”

            “Then why are you alive?” The harsh words rolled out of my tongue before I could fully understand what the stranger was trying to say.

            “Yeah, why am I alive?” A hollow laugh sounded from behind. “The building was only a few stories high -- my legs had the biggest impact from the fall.”

            “You’re walking perfectly fine,” I said, finally spinning around to face the stranger.

            “Am I really?” He asked with an undefinable tone to his words. I wasn’t certain if he was asking it rhetorically or was he really meaning what he said. “I can’t dance anymore because of my legs. I can no longer live my ultimate dream because I can no longer dance. So fine, go ahead, jump. Let’s see where you end up.”

* * * *

December 2008

            I pulled the young male farther and farther away from the cliff, which was beginning to give away thanks to the gales that bellowed around. He was wearing a dark hoodie, concealing many of his facial features. All I could spot was his bleached blonde hair and the dark rings that drooped down to his chin.

            He was trembling as if he was frightened somebody would catch him.  His eyes darted back and forth, clearly avoiding my gaze. Because I too was once in his position, I knew he would attempt to make a beeline towards the steep gradient. Upon knowing this, I only grasped tighter, refusing to let him escape.

            “Just let my father know you were my friend – you’ll get the money you want. Just let me jump alright?” He pleaded. I wavered for a fleeting second, sli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter