15

Walking on Margins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December 2008

            “You’re getting much closer with Sehun,” Jong In noted as we took the taxi to work. With Jong In coming home late every single day, Sehun always managed to catch me in time to drive me back to my apartment. Jong In didn’t know about this yet; he had assumed I took the cab back. But I was far too stingy with my money to do that. Sure, I may be working under a large corporation, but I learned to save my money and use it when necessary.

            Besides, I didn’t feel like Jong In needed to know this information.

            “Yeah, he’s a nice boss,” I replied.

            “I’ll probably come home earlier today. We can go home together for the first time in a long time,” Jong In grinned.

            “Oh? But doesn’t President Oh have appointments?”

            “It’s New Year’s Eve. Even if he wanted to work, the clients would want to spend time with their family, don’t you think?” Jong In ruffled my hair. “We’ll go out to a bar or something, to celebrate the upcoming year.”

            “Yah, Kim Jong In, watch what you’re doing with your hands!” I quickly flattened my hair. Taking out my pocket mirror, I fixed my bangs. From the corner of my eye, I spotted Jong In staring at me. “What are you looking at?” I said, uncomfortable. My heart began beating rapidly.

            “You’ve changed, Hana. I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing, though,” Jong In mused.

            “D-Don’t you have to review your files so you can report to President Oh?”

            “Oh right. Thanks for reminding me, Hana.”

            “You’re welcome,” I softly said. Subconsciously, I placed my hand over my heart.

* * * *

            “Hana, do you think you can stay after work for a little bit?” While I was typing a power point for Sehun to look at when reviewing Golden Flame’s annual stocks, he had called me into his office. I looked at Sehun oddly. He bit his lips, nodding slowly. “I just need you to report on the stocks,” he said.

            I nodded. “I’m preparing a power point right now. I’ll finish it by the end of today and I’ll email it to you.”

            “Um, actually, can you orally present the power point? There are a few parts that I feel would be necessary to go over.”

            Pursing my lips, I thought to Jong In’s promise. He can wait a few minutes, I thought to myself. I found myself nodding a few seconds later. “Okay. I’ll go continue working on it, if you don’t mind.”

            “Of course,” Sehun replied with a grin.

* * * *

            “Jong In, I might be a little late tonight. Sehun wants me to review some stocks with him,” I said to the tanned male during our lunch break. Jong In had run to the nearby café during his personal break and bought the both of us sandwiches. He had ordered drinks to wash down the bread. Knowing how much I relished my sweets, Jong In purchased a vanilla bean frappuccino. For himself, he settled with a black coffee. “Bittersweet,” he had stated. “It takes me down memory road.” Of course, I didn’t question Jong In’s preference or his rather vague explanation.

            “I can wait for you. We need to celebrate,” Jong In smiled.

            I bit into my sandwich. “Okay. It’ll only take a few minutes.”

* * * *

            A few minutes turned into an hour. By now, I was afraid Jong In was still waiting in the cold. True to Sehun’s words, we did talk about the company’s stocks. But boy did Sehun ask a lot of questions. He sure was thorough with Golden Flame.

            After we finished discussing the stocks, Sehun smiled tiredly at me. “Are you free tonight, Hana?”

  

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter