12

Walking on Margins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December 2008

            Jong In had convinced me to wait for him in the lobby of Golden Flame. It was clear that Golden Flame’s headquarters were only meant for the wealthy. People dressed in Gucci and Armani Exchange came in and out the building. I looked down at my striped shirt and a pair of Levi’s.

            “Yeah, I’m definitely from a different world,” I sighed as I rubbed my hands together in anticipation for Jong In’s news. He was so keen on taking me out to eat after his interview, so with no choice, I had to oblige. If that weren’t the case, I would be working overtime or perhaps lounging by the fireplace in my apartment.

            Eventually, a few employees took notice of my presence. Some pointed me out, while others whispered amongst themselves. After thirty minutes of sitting on the couch, a security guard came up finally asking me to leave.

            “Pardon me, Miss, but are you authorized to be here?”

            “I’m waiting for someone,” I elucidated.

            “I sincerely apologize, but if you do not have an appointment, I would have to kindly ask you to step outside to wait. Golden Flame only allows people of their own to step into this building. I’m afraid you’re not their kind.” The analogy that the security guard used certainly penetrated my pride. He regarded Golden Flame employees and the wealthy as their own specimen, and normal citizens, like me, as a different kind of species. It hurt.

            “Of course,” I nodded before stepping outside. The security guard followed me, as if to make sure I would actually leave the building. As I approached the double doors, a voice sliced the air.

            “Yongguk, she’s with me.” The security guard – who I assumed was Yongguk – and I both spun around, meeting the owner of the voice. It turned out to be a middle-aged lady who was clad in a Chanel dress, with a Burberry scarf draped over her shoulders. A pair of limited edition Steve Madden shoes completed the elegant look.

            “Madam Oh,” he greeted with a bow. I was uncertain if I was supposed to do the same, but I remained frozen in my spot. She was the mother of the boy I had saved.

            “I believe we have an appointment scheduled, Miss Park?” I was shocked when I heard my surname slip out of her red lips. She had evidently done some background check on me when discovering I had saved her son.

            “Y-Yes,” I said meekly, following the wife of the CEO into the gold-painted elevators.

* * * *

            Minutes later, I found myself seated next to Jong In. Across from us was the CEO, his wife, and their son. Dressed in a Gucci suit, Oh Sehun appeared much healthier than the sickly patient I had rescued weeks before.

            “Weeks before, when we first met, you had bluntly stated that you wanted more than we offered. After putting some thought into it, and also talking with the company officials, we have come to a conclusion,” Mrs. Oh pursed her lips at the thought of our first encounter. “Jong In-ssi will fill the position as my son’s secretary. And you, Miss Hana Park, will be my husband’s secretary.”

            I could feel Jong In tense beside me. I gulped, knowing that they expected me to reply. “With all due respect, Madam Oh, that day, I was unable to complete my sentence. You must have misunderstood me.”

            “So you’re stating that we shouldn’t take you in as a secretary?” Mr. Oh raised an eyebrow.

            “Of course not,” I quickly answered, reminded of Jong In’s presence, “you should definitely consider Jong In as your candidate for a secretary. He’s hard-working and very diligent. However, I’m not entirely sure you should allow me to work under your husband. I’m a mere cashier at a local supermarket. What good do I know about business?”

            “If I’m not mistaken, Miss Park, but you actually majored in Business in Seoul University. It says that the classes you took were directed towards the law field.” Mr. Oh slid across a piece of paper, containing my college classes. I suddenly felt angry. What gave the wealthy to intrude my privacy? Just because they had the money, did not allow them any right to search through my history.  

            “This is called intrusion of privacy. I believe I can sue you for searching through my personal files,” I stated so confidently.

            “But the question we ask today is…will you sue us?” Mr. Oh taunted. He observed my darkening expressions once I had realized the sad reality. “I wouldn’t spare a moment of mercy for a person like you. You can’t afford a lawsuit, Miss Park, so don’t think you’re all that great either.”

            I kept quiet at that. Mr. Oh continued, “I apologize for my harsh words, but I’m afraid this is the truth. But I will tell you again, this position as my secretary is something that everyone wishes for. Of course, if you’re happier with your minimum wage, I will certainly look for more experienced people.”

            “I have had a lot to sink in,” I said, “I will consider your offer, but please consider Jong In. If I were to reject your offer, please make room for Jong In.”

            Mr. Oh ignored my comment, and only said, “I will be expe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter